Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

He lost to a guy playing some of his best golf ever. Dj dropped 3 shots all week. 1 bogey and a dbl and still won by 5.
    I see Rory winning multiple times this year and most definitely not a bottler.

I would agree that a win is definitely close. His play is better and more consistent than last year . He will never be a great putter but he has improved considerably from last season .
    Is it just me or does anyone think that he has trimmed down and lost some upper body muscle mass . ? Could just be new season Nike range of clothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

He just doesn't seem to get the important putts at the right time. No doubt DJ was uncatchable there for a finish bit there were one or two instances on the first and mid round where you'd wish hed drain one and load on the pressure.
    Big things for him this year nevertheless I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dav010 wrote: »
    He is saying Mcilroy can’t hold on to a lead when he is in front.
    Well that's not true in any case. Most recent examples were in 2016 when he won the Deutsche Bank and the Irish Open from the front.
    And seen as you are being smart, technically in golf it is possible to lead from further back by the way, have you ever heard of “clubhouse leader”?, that is the highest score posted by a player who is finished, that might be 5 shots back from the leader on the course.
    Well technically speaking his comment was ambiguous, which is what I was calling him on. Because as I pointed out above, he was wrong anyway, if your interpretation is correct. And if it is correct, leading from the front can't happen if you're the clubhouse leader. Technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

He is saying Mcilroy can’t hold on to a lead when he is in front.

Of the last 7 or 8 times Rory has been in a final group and not won how many times was he leading?

I would expect the conversion rate to be very low of any player leading or in the final group of tournaments. Especially anyone with the number of wins Rory has.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rooney30 wrote: »
    I would agree that a win is definitely close. His play is better and more consistent than last year . He will never be a great putter but he has improved considerably from last season .

I actually thought he putted pretty well, bar the 4 putt, but I think that was carelessness more than anything else. It was good to see him actually hole some decent length putts.

The missed green from 60 odd yards out was more worrying for me, that just shouldnt happen at this level, especially when it wasnt a miss-hit.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    The missed green from 60 odd yards out was more worrying for me, that just shouldnt happen at this level, especially when it wasnt a miss-hit.
    I didn't actually see that one, but one missed green isn't a worry, it's a fúck-up. Two or more would be a worry. And be me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I didn't actually see that one, but one missed green isn't a worry, it's a fúck-up. Two or more would be a worry. And be me. :o

I'd be much happier if it was but he was happy with the shot, had no idea it was short until it landed and bounced into the fringe.
    10 yards short on a 60 yard shot is....poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Remind me wrote: »

I would expect the conversion rate to be very low of any player leading or in the final group of tournaments. Especially anyone with the number of wins Rory has.

I’m not certain what this means but can I take it that “conversion rate” means conversion of final pair placing into a win?

Interesting observation. Of the 9 tournaments so far this year, 7 winners were in the final group (Rose was in last group on one of 2 tee start) , the other 2 (Trainer & Schauffele) were in the second last group. Mcilroy has 0% conversion rate in last 7 times he has been in the last group, but did win once when playing in second last pairing.

So conversion rate for the winner coming from one of the players in last or next to last group this year is 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I’m not certain what this means but can I take it that “conversion rate” means conversion of final pair placing into a win?

Interesting observation. Of the 9 tournaments so far this year, 7 winners were in the final group (Rose was in last group on one of 2 tee start) , the other 2 (Trainer & Schauffele) were in the second last group. Mcilroy has 0% conversion rate in last 7 times he has been in the last group, but did win once when playing in second last pairing.

So conversion rate for the winner coming from one of the players in last or next to last group this year is 100%.

Maybe not explained properly. Of individual players playing in final groups or leading. For example how many times has Casey been in a final group and not won? Or Tiger, Rose, Sergio etc... you could be in a final group and 7 behind.

The stat of 7 final groups and no win is not a good stat to use, last night being the perfect example. 4 behind a player of DJ’s standard Rory is not expected to win.

Yeah, it's not really indicative of anything. Being in the last group usually means one player in the lead and that can be any number of shots. Even if they're close, the gap behind can be big enough that the job would just be to make no mistakes and make the others chase you. You do get the odd upset like Jordan Spieth going in the water at Augusta and Danny Willett having the game of his life, but it's rare enough that somebody in the leading four doesn't win.

• Advertisement

Remind me wrote: »
    Maybe not explained properly. Of individual players playing in final groups or leading. For example how many times has Casey been in a final group and not won? Or Tiger, Rose, Sergio etc... you could be in a final group and 7 behind.

The stat of 7 final groups and no win is not a good stat to use, last night being the perfect example. 4 behind a player of DJ’s standard Rory is not expected to win.

Sorry, ya, I see now what you are saying. It would be an interesting stat to see what the average number of shots the field must make up on the leader on the final day to win. I’d say it’s no more than about 3, a lead more than that requires both someone to play really well and the leader to have a shocker.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not really indicative of anything. Being in the last group usually means one player in the lead and that can be any number of shots. Even if they're close, the gap behind can be big enough that the job would just be to make no mistakes and make the others chase you. You do get the odd upset like Jordan Spieth going in the water at Augusta and Danny Willett having the game of his life, but it's rare enough that somebody in the leading four doesn't win.

Are you purposely leaving Mcilroy out of that post or do you not consider his Masters final day collapses as “upsets”?

Sorry, ya, I see now what you are saying. It would be an interesting stat to see what the average number of shots the field must make up on the leader on the final day to win. I’d say it’s no more than about 3, a lead more than that requires both someone to play really well and the leader to have a shocker.
    I'm not sure if that even tells the full story. The example of Spieth at Augusta in 2016 would be an outlier since Spieth only had a one shot lead going into the final day. Willett was three shots back and in the fourth last group. By the turn, Spieth had a five shot lead, but bogey, bogey, quad finished him.

Long story short, you'd look at the day three leaderboard and not see the winner in the first two groups.

Are you purposely leaving Mcilroy out of that post or do you not consider his Masters final day collapses as “upsets”?
    His first is not exactly recent. As an example it would hardly prove a point without looking at every similar situation in the intervening nine years. And I'm not that bored. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Trampas

I assume Rory is going to play 3 weeks in a row with Scottish, Open and WGC. Irish open would make it 4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Excellent round today in tough conditions. Couple of annoying 3 putts but otherwise near flawless from the bits i saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Haven't seen him playing this well in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Has to produce it again tomorrow of course, but he must be brimming with confidence. Wedge play looked first rate today.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Good to see.
    Looking forward to tomorrow.
    Should he win great and if not at least the mud slinging on here will be entertaining.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Haven't seen him playing this well in a long while.

He was 2nd in his last event and only lost to the beast that is DJ. If Rory does manage to win tomorrow it’s not going to be out of the blue.

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    He was 2nd in his last event and only lost to the beast that is DJ. If Rory does manage to win tomorrow it’s not going to be out of the blue.

I meant his ongoing current form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Keano wrote: »

Even something as basic as Strokes Gained, he's leading this year over a 20 round period.
    Someone I think due for a big win who I've got on this week myself is Glover, 9th is strokes gained this year, rounding into some decent form, I'm hoping he challenges Rory tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Yeah that's excellent this year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Last 4 events

T4
    T5
    T4
    2nd

Rikand wrote: »
    Last 4 events

T4
    T5
    T4
    2nd

When I say "I haven't seen him play this well in a long time," I mean his form this season so far is as well as he has played in years. Wasn't just commenting on today's round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will be tough tomorrow his record in the final group is really poor. Fitzpatrick is a real steady eddy who'll keep banging in the pars with the odd birdie so Rory will need to have a good round to win. Should be interesting either way.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

There is no fear in that leaderboard for Rory,

There is no fear in that leaderboard for Rory,

It's not the leaderboard that'll beat him. I love watching him for it but he needs to stop playing the hero shot. He is getting better at recovering from a boo boo though, slightly.

It's not the leaderboard that'll beat him. I love watching him for it but he needs to stop playing the hero shot. He is getting better at recovering from a boo boo though, slightly.

I'm sure when he looks at it tonight he won't fear anything though it leads into ones mindset. If he plays poorly tomorow I may start to wonder about how good his mental game is right now, but outside.

We had two of the biggest lead chokers (IMO) play badly today so I am quite interested how Rory plays with no other top 10 players around him and in a non major event in the last group

• Advertisement

Oh I'm hopeful he gets over the line too, it's all in his favour. I'd love nothing more than him blitz it and pull away from the field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement