Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Yes?? So he's consistently competitive in order to retain that ranking? Does maintaining a Top 10 ranking not serve as decent proxy for competitiveness?

OP suggested he needed to play at his best to be competitive. I tend to completely disagree because I like many others can see that Rory clearly has the capacity to achieve more. So if we can see that then clearly Rory doesn't need to play "at his best" to be competitive, he's extremely competitive without reach those heights.

He's competitive if the competition is to finish top 10, he is rarely competing for first these days. I'm pretty sure he is playing to win not have yet another come from behind top 10.

IMO this whole potential or at his best argument is worn out.
    Its 72 holes, doesn't matter how good you are for some of them if you are scored over 72.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

GreeBo wrote: »
    He's competitive if the competition is to finish top 10, he is rarely competing for first these days. I'm pretty sure he is playing to win not have yet another come from behind top 10.

IMO this whole potential or at his best argument is worn out.
    Its 72 holes, doesn't matter how good you are for some of them if you are scored over 72.

I don't know when "these days" began but he seems to be competing at the top end of the leaderboard so far this year.

Sentry Tournament of Champions T4 -15 69 68 68 72
    Farmers Insurance Open T5 -14 71 65 69 69
    Genesis Open T4 -11 72 63 69 69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Didn’t see finish of his round last night but what would worry a bit was how ragged he got after going in the water on 6. Didn’t mind him going for that shot, was only a foot away from prime eagle opportunity, but whether it was frustration or something else, seemed to discombobulate him for the next few holes. Would expect more composure from him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Didn’t see finish of his round last night but what would worry a bit was how ragged he got after going in the water on 6. Didn’t mind him going for that shot, was only a foot away from prime eagle opportunity, but whether it was frustration or something else, seemed to discombobulate him for the next few holes. Would expect more composure from him tbh.

Ah, the bouwld discombobualtions again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I don't know when "these days" began but he seems to be competing at the top end of the leaderboard so far this year.

9 out 12 rounds in the 60s is pretty good shooting.

• Advertisement

Not competing for first though, that's the point.
    54 great holes coupled with a meah, go backwards 18.

Id prefer a couple of great tournaments and a couple of crap ones instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Very few golfers produce four great rounds. And a lot fewer do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What’s the definition of “competing for first”?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Just not at elite level, he can't live with them any more!

He's dropping into that second tier level of player!

Will my simple observation get me a warning of trolling!??????

This is what I think when I watch the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

fullstop wrote: »
    What’s the definition of “competing for first”?

Being out of it on the back nine on Sun.

• Advertisement

Being out of it on the back nine on Sun.

What is “out of it”? If he got up and down on 17 and birdied 18 last week he’d have been on a playoff. So is that ‘out of it’ or ‘not competing for first’?

What is “out of it”? If he got up and down on 17 and birdied 18 last week he’d have been on a playoff. So is that ‘out of it’ or ‘not competing for first’?

But he didn’t.
    Too many ifs and buts with regard to Rory.

But he didn’t.
    Too many ifs and buts with regard to Rory.

You didn’t answer the question. But I didn’t expect you to anyway. Can’t hide that chip.

You didn’t answer the question. But I didn’t expect you to anyway. Can’t hide that chip.

It’s his chipping that’s his problem a lot of the time.
    Still he’s only 5 shots off at the mo.

It’s his chipping that’s his problem a lot of the time.
    Still he’s only 5 shots off at the mo.

Salty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

I'll go with the classic. If your auntie had balls then she'd be your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bailey99 wrote: »
    I'll go with the classic. If your auntie had balls then she'd be your uncle.
    Only if your auntie lips out trying to become your uncle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Decent showing by Rory , just about hanging onto the coattails of Dj today . Dj putted very well which was the difference . Rory holed a few monsters too but D j just seemed to hole everything . Hard to continue that for two days in a row which would should Rory hope for tommorrow . Dj is prone to creaking on a Sunday like everyone else

galwayllm wrote: »
    Just not at elite level, he can't live with them any more!

He's dropping into that second tier level of player!

Will my simple observation get me a warning of trolling!??????

This is what I think when I watch the guy.

People throw out these type of hyperbolic statements "2nd tier", "playinh at his best to be competitive" etc and when questioned about who exists within those tiers, what then separates those tiers, what is competitive etc the arguments fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

People throw out these type of hyperbolic statements "2nd tier", "playinh at his best to be competitive" etc and when questioned about who exists within those tiers, what then separates those tiers, what is competitive etc the arguments fall apart.

Because it’s absolute BS and the poster summed it up themselves, trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Remind me wrote: »
    Because it’s absolute BS and the poster summed it up themselves, trolling

Are we back to this again where any criticism or negative opinion is considered trolling/mod warning from Keano?

Maybe what Galway is saying, is that Mcilroy now needs to play his best to have a chance of winning, and even his best is not always good enough. He occupied the top tier for a while in the sense that when he played really well, he won, that is no longer the case. On Sky coverage it said that his average in the last 12 rounds were the best of his career, yet he never looked like winning any of the tournaments. This is not a unique or controversial opinion, it has been expressed by people more qualified than us, certainly it is not trolling.

I don’t think he is in the second tier, I think the top tier has more members now than ever before so that if a couple play well, anyone could win. Probably for the first time in decades, there is no dominant/outstanding player.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Are we back to this again where any criticism or negative opinion is considered trolling/mod warning from Keano?

Maybe what Galway is saying, is that Mcilroy now needs to play his best to have a chance of winning, and even his best is not always good enough. He occupied the top tier for a while in the sense that when he played really well, he won, that is no longer the case. On Sky coverage it said that his average in the last 12 rounds were the best of his career, yet he never looked like winning any of the tournaments. This is not a unique or controversial opinion, it has been expressed by people more qualified than us, certainly it is not trolling.

I don’t think he is in the second tier, I think the top tier has more members now than ever before so that if a couple play well, anyone could win. Probably for the first time in decades, there is no dominant/outstanding player.

I'd like to clarify that from my perspective I am unaware of anything around mods banning people over what is subjectively deemed trolling.
    Furthermore, I don't believe any of the comments I have responded to are trolling and shouldn't be classed as such.

However, I do think that if McIlroy is open to criticism like that, then the modes of critique are subsequently opened to be criticised themselves which is what I was trying to do.

It's not a pro/anti McIllroy situation for me, I believe he deserves criticism but I think it should be justified.

He's has the potential to be one of, if not, our greatest sporting export, therefore he deserves a disproportionate amount of coverage and criticism.

However, that also means he deserves a large amount of praise for his previous accomplishments and his current play but I don't think he quite gets that.
    It simply appears to me to be a thread that is very asymmetric in its analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Dav010 wrote: »

Saying a 4 time major winner, regular winner on tours consistently in the worlds top 10 is not elite is absolute BS. That’s what I’m back to again.

McIlroy like everyone else is not immune from criticism and he has opened himself up to enough of it but the absolute tripe posted here is unbelievable.

Remind me wrote: »
    Saying a 4 time major winner, regular winner on tours consistently in the worlds top 10 is not elite is absolute BS. That’s what I’m back to again.

McIlroy like everyone else is not immune from criticism and he has opened himself up to enough of it but the absolute tripe posted here is unbelievable.

Having won only once in the past 2 years certainly leaves it out there for discussion, whether you agree with his/her opinion or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

If being in the top 10 in the world in your discipline is not considered elite then what is ? Top 5 ? Top 2 ? Seriously !

rooney30 wrote: »
    If being in the top 10 in the world in your discipline is not considered elite then what is ? Top 5 ? Top 2 ? Seriously !

There is no doubt about it, he is in the top 10 so he he is in the elite, same as the others.

I don't think anyone is seriously saying he isn't part of the top of the games players, but this idea that he is untouchable "at his best" is meaningless to me at this stage... any of the top ten at their best win and i have seen nothing from Rory to lead me to believe that his best is any better than anyone else's.

DJ or Rose or Thomas etc, etc are just as good and seem to produce it or close to it more than Rory has over the last few years. Tiger is the last player to be unbeatable at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played well today. Just over the week someone else was better.

Another top 5. There's no doubt he's playing well right now and on another week that would have been the winning score

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Rory is a great player but just one of many around. I think just over the last few years hes lost focus. To many distractions. However i think hell just end up with the amount off majors he has. To many good players with more hunger. To much to soon and comfortable i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

galwayllm wrote: »
    Rory is a bit of a bottler and not in the top 7/8 in the world for me anymore. He has peaked.
    I think that is ridiculously harsh.
    His last 4 tournaments he has finished.
    2nd, tied 4th, tied 5th, tied 4th
    Very few other golfers are that consistent.
    To say he is not in top 8 is imo nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement