Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I know what facebook group you are part of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Would it fit into that air vent on the left of the wheel?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Interslice wrote: »
    Would it fit into that air vent on the left of the wheel?

That's what I was thinking but its just slightly too big to fit without hacking up the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

After getting the washers done, the soot/carbon needed to be washed away

26858144236_dc657cdffa_k.jpg

26619221830_8bc165bfd8_k.jpg

26286621364_07b120e8cc_k.jpg

Functional rather than cosmetic. No more soot smell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmcato

Changed the dipped headlamps on a Megane Mk II. It was hard to do it, with just enough room for my arm and doing it blindly. But saved quite a few euros instead of taking it to a mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I hear it's a bumper off job on some renaults no? or is that mini's...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmcato

Hal1 wrote: »
    I hear it's a bumper off job on some renaults no? or is that mini's...

That was not necessary in my Megane. Some people take the wheel off for easy access to the headlamps, but it is possible to do it just locking the wheels in the right position (which is what I did). Still, too complicated for routine maintenance. I got a bruise on my forearm from constantly brushing some metal pillar in the way.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

After watching this cool fifth gear clip:

I bought some Redex injector cleaner and put a single shot in the tank after filling. So, will I see any change? Or is it all snake oil? The car has a new fuel filter and perfect emissions readings from the NCT over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I bought some Redex injector cleaner and put a single shot in the tank after filling. So, will I see any change? Or is it all snake oil? The car has a new fuel filter and perfect emissions readings from the NCT over the weekend.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99602582&postcount=4807

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

I have wasted some money over the years on redex, lucas, wynns kind of products and not one of them done anything nor made any difference at all, imo they are just a waste of time

If youve a problem pay and get it sorted right, if your car is well serviced and maintained it will be running as best it can imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's currently BOGOF in Halfords, I must try it myself for the craic :D

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/redex-petrol-injector-cleaner-500ml

Those fuel treatments are a colonic detox for your cars fueling and exhaust (emissions) system. Unless your car is really in need of it you probably won't notice anything but your car will and should respond well to it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah I noticed that when I got there, so now I have tonnes of the stuff! Ah sure, I'm not expecting much from it. But I'll report back if I remember to in a week or so!

The Z had a cobbered stud in the rear...

Process is simple. Wheel off, caliper off, disc off. Because it's a visco LSD you can turn the shaft very slowly. Then hammer the old stud loose. The parking shoes are shaped the right way to allow me to maneuver the old stud out.
    26316898663_e910958a90_k.jpg

The offender
    26887387796_9d2e2e60dd_k.jpg

I used an adjustment star wheel from a D-Turbo pump and a nut off a towbar to pull the stud int is seat. Big shout out to Cian Ryan for supplying the only new Z32 stud in Ireland :D
    26827116982_7924b732f5_k.jpg

I also got much needed new studs
    26887364776_88e0be0bf8_k.jpg

They took longer to fit than the stud :o
    26316834613_5a96a2403b_k.jpg

And if you don't like the colour of the studs or the diffin tyres, I have a sticker on the rear window just for you :)
    26920744665_463b2d33f9_k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Does it have 4 wheel steering - is it of that generation?

Does it have 4 wheel steering - is it of that generation?

Yep it has the standard hydraulic HICAS, not the later super electric type. Looking to delete it off the car in due time as it's a bit temperamental

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got the service done yesterday and the first in my ownership. Feels more responsive anyway so I'm happy. Next stop is tax again! 3 months fly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yep it has the standard hydraulic HICAS, not the later super electric type. Looking to delete it off the car in due time as it's a bit temperamental

It's the practical thing to do. But it's so super retro jap it'd be class to keep it.

rizzee wrote: »
    Got the service done yesterday and the first in my ownership. Feels more responsive anyway so I'm happy. Next stop is tax again! 3 months fly :(

Going to service mine some evening this week. Always feels better for it after. I could never stomach paying every 3 months. Just save for the year and have it over and done with!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You held onto that yoke long enough, took you about 8 months to fit it? Haha
    Always glad to help with classic Japanese resto!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Going to service mine some evening this week. Always feels better for it after. I could never stomach paying every 3 months. Just save for the year and have it over and done with!

I won't have the car another year!! Plus, there's not much saving if I get the 6 months over the 3.

I like to do 3 months just in case something will go wrong with the car and I have to take it off the road. Less hassle!

I changed a pair of shocks on the aul lads car.

Side by side you can see how tired they were.
    20160510_114745.jpg

My ring spanner wasn't a hex fitment so I had to improvise with a grinder.
    20160510_122901.jpg

With the top mount and bearing removed it was time to compress the springs with some clamps.
    20160510_114830.jpg

The rest was easy and the finished article.
    20160510_122234.jpg

Time taken was approx 3 hours due to difficulties with the top nut. When refitting I noticed a leaky engine mount so that's a job for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I see Ford packaging. What does he have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I see Ford packaging. What does he have.

A Ford!:P

They were fitted to a mk2 focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Sure everyone on this forum either owns a BMW or a Ford :pac:

shietpilot wrote: »

But+the+guy+s+friend+is+still+under+there+_e0730cb20cbccd3959234292ef7883c0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

shietpilot wrote: »

Or Vw :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Wanted to go with a sleeper look for my GTI i think it looks alot better

26861894002_fe11c31930.jpg

26861894622_4f3b3905f7_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

New tyres arrived today, an ultra-wide 550 profile. :D

Good to see Camskill are strapping them together now, they're Continental SportContact 5s.

t1_zps634lfiym.jpg~original

t2_zpsg6qubsqx.jpg~original

t3_zpsk4al8lbu.jpg~original

Still waiting on the fronts, should have em tomorrow.

Advertisement