Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Some craic last night, the S-Type battery was stone dead at 10pm in the pitch black, the rear passenger reading light was left on for a week.

Needed to move the car, not a jump lead in sight and the boot was backed up to a wall.

Improvised with some high gauge amplifer cable and some domestic solid core cable. :D

wires1_zpstiflztwf.jpg~original

wires2_zps8jno7qob.jpg~original

Started right up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Ordered a new set of pressed plates from eireplates yesterday for the new car, came this morning in the post. That would be my third set of plates to order from them now and i have to say between delivery times and quality they are probably the best ive ever dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Ordered a new set of pressed plates from eireplates yesterday for the new car, came this morning in the post. That would be my third set of plates to order from them now and i have to say between delivery times and quality they are probably the best ive ever dealt with.

How much did they set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,578 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Improvised with some high gauge amplifer cable and some domestic solid core cable. :D

Started right up!

I don't know what it is but I bloody love starting a dead car with jump leads, it's like bringing Frankenstein to life, rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It really is. It's ALIVE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Installed the Focus mk2.5 instrument cluster. Hardest part was programming the new cluster to have the same settings as the old one for the engine and optional extras. I also had to code the 2 keys to the PATS immobiliser system and sync it up with the ECU and other modules.

Updated the cluster firmware to show actual engine temperature instead of the fake levels it had before. You can see the needle changing when the thermostat opens now :P

yFAjUpM.jpg?1

sDCfB69.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Fair fks man nice job. Did you have to load up software to access the firmware etc? It's a bit involved and you'd be best to know what your at, which it seems like you were :).

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

Fair play to ya, i wouldn't have the balls to attempt something like that. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Hal1 wrote: »
    Fair fks man nice job. Did you have to load up software to access the firmware etc? It's a bit involved and you'd be best to know what your at, which it seems like you were :).

I used ELMConfig to flash all the firmwares. Takes about 15 minutes do flash one and there were like 5 of them available. I kept flashing them all until I got to the latest one and all was working fine.

Programming the keys was a bit scary especially when I did it in Kilcock Car Dismantlers car park :pac: She wouldn't start with the new cluster so I had to code the keys.
    robbiew wrote: »
    Fair play to ya, i wouldn't have the balls to attempt something like that. :eek:

Life's not fun without risks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

shietpilot wrote: »
    I used ELMConfig to flash all the firmwares. Takes about 15 minutes do flash one and there were like 5 of them available. I kept flashing them all until I got to the latest one and all was working fine.

Programming the keys was a bit scary especially when I did it in Kilcock Car Dismantlers car park :pac: She wouldn't start with the new cluster so I had to code the keys.

Life's not fun without risks :D

Only if it works out :D

• Advertisement

Changed fuel filter on my car. Started it up. Leaks. Took filter off, then back on - leaks again.

Put old filter back on, no leaks. The inflow screw wasn't going in far enough to the new filter I discovered, even though when I lined them up side by side originally they were looking identical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Dero wrote: »
    You could try Displex. I've used it on watches, CDs and the like, but it should work fine on car clocks. Plenty of sellers on eBay/Amazon.

Thanks. I bought a 5g tube of it for 6 euro from Germany on ebay (free postage). It does a great job, and got rid of majority of the scratches.

Like he says in the video larger scratches stay there, but overall when looking at the result closely all those tiny scratches are gone and it looks much better than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

shietpilot wrote: »
    Kilcock Car Dismantlers car park :pac:

Kilcock is lyf 1f49a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

384756.jpg

More tomorrow - too tired to work with photos now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Started with two easiest jobs first...

Wheel caps were annoying me, replaced all 4.

IMG20160430181404_zpsoynpq48p.jpg

Then to replace the plates and put surrounds on. I know not everyone likes them but I think they make the car look nice and clean.

aviary-image-1462097093729_zps7fq5jhkm.jpeg
    aviary-image-1462097033264_zpsu5fr1uqj.jpeg

And here's the parts for the hard job.
    The voltage regulator on the alternator need replacing, so belt off, alternator out. At the same time I'll be able to see the infamous alternator mount bracket and see if it's leaking, if it is then I've to remove the engine mount and the bracket to replace a €4 gasket. Ridiculous BMW design and crap gaskets. Will post up pics of it after I'm done today/tomorrow.

IMG20160422184926_zpslnr0dkip_edit_1461347896418_zpsralxzugc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

joujoujou wrote: »
    384756.jpg

More tomorrow - too tired to work with photos now. :(

New intake manifold and TB I am guessing, might also want to think about a new radiator, my wifes looks similar and I am thinking about a new one very soon. Need a good gearbox first though as well hers is on the way out, whining and vibrating now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

lafors wrote: »
    At the same time I'll be able to see the infamous alternator mount bracket and see if it's leaking, if it is then I've to remove the engine mount and the bracket to replace a €4 gasket. Ridiculous BMW design and crap gaskets.

That feeling.

Unregistered Users

CJhaughey wrote: »
    New intake manifold and TB I am guessing, [...]
    You're right. :)
    Need a good gearbox first though as well hers is on the way out, whining and vibrating now.
    You never know what you get. From my own experience - went through 4 second hand gearboxes (all ended up the same way). Decided to keep the last one - when started to whining, got bearings replaced - all sorted! :D

You're right. :) You never know what you get. From my own experience - went through 4 second hand gearboxes (all ended up the same way). Decided to keep the last one - when started to whining, got bearings replaced - all sorted! :D

How hard was it to replace the bearings? any part numbers?

Unregistered Users

Don't know + don't know. :(

Pulled the gearbox off and sent it (believe it or not) to Poland. Lads over there did the rest. The whole thing (transport + parts + their labour) was approx 150 notes. :)

• Advertisement

Don't know + don't know. :(

Pulled the gearbox off and sent it (believe it or not) to Poland. Lads over there did the rest. The whole thing (transport + parts + their labour) was approx 150 notes. :)

Thats very good. I have to do something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Any good mechanic can replace the bearing in those gearboxes.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Any good mechanic can replace the bearing in those gearboxes.
    Anyone have part numbers? I'd do it myself but I am finding it hard to get the part numbers, probably a kit with driveshaft oil seals as well.
    People are looking at stupid money for them secondhand and you don't know what you are buying secondhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

job seeker wrote: »
    How much did they set you back?

Only seeing this now €40 for a pair with next day delivery i think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Only seeing this now €40 for a pair with next day delivery i think it was

Ah, not bad at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Anyone have part numbers? I'd do it myself but I am finding it hard to get the part numbers, probably a kit with driveshaft oil seals as well.
    People are looking at stupid money for them secondhand and you don't know what you are buying secondhand.

There is two bearings that go in them. I have no part numbers but any Toyota dealer will know the exact bearings you need as it's a common enough issue.

Unregistered Users

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    [...] any Toyota dealer will know the exact bearings you need as it's a common enough issue.

^^ This! :D ^^

Probably I still have empty boxes after the bearings replaced in my gearbox, somewhere in the shed, will try to find them tomorrow. Obviously, the numbers on them will apply to C150 gearbox - very unsure if would fit another box.

Now, yesterday's modification in pics - 4ZZ-FE upgrade.

Start point:

01before_phm.jpg

Intake manifold, throttle body and air hose removed:

02naked_phm.jpg

New manifold and TB in, some small hoses too short, one too long. Easy to sort, having some parts from another car.

Unfortunately I didn't have throttle cable bracket from 1ZZ engine, so had to deal with that somehow. It looks ugly, but it works!

03bracket_phm.jpg

One of my biggest fears - not enough clearance between new manifold (30mm bigger than 4ZZ one) and radiator inlet. Wasn't so bad at the end, will go back to it later.

04clr_phm.jpg

Had two airbox to TB hoses to choose from - one from 1ZZ celica, one from 1ZZ avensis. Chose avensis:

05avehose_phm.jpg

Cut and ground:

06ground_phm.jpg

Another fear was clearance between manifold and rad fan bracket. Thankfully manifold's "thickest" point was above bracket. So, 3mm between rad hose and manifold (green lines) and 30mm between manifold and bracket (yellow lines):

07clearance_phm.jpg

How it looks like now. Rad hose had to be placed slightly different, sadly had to cut a corner from engine cover. Although I will reroute that hose below TB - there's a lot of room over there. But before that must get some rad hoses, couplers and coolant of course. :D

08after_phm.jpg

And reward:

09grill_phm.jpg

Additionally, replaced spark plugs and cleaned OCV filter.

Engine runs well, but ECU must adapt to new conditions. Internet says it'll take up to 200 km. So far, revs going up and down on idle, but no errors from OBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Great work. I take it you replaced injectors too?

Unregistered Users

pablo128 wrote: »
    Great work.
    Thank you. :)
    pablo128 wrote: »
    I take it you replaced injectors too?
    No. I'm too lazy to deal with injectors (and ran out of funds). :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Thank you. :) No. I'm too lazy to deal with injectors (and ran out of funds). :o

They are really easy to change on those engines. You can fit 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 vvti injectors to the 1.4 engines with the corresponding t/b. I assumed that's what you were doing.

Advertisement