Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Looks like fun! :D

Ha ha, yes, definitely your kind of route!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I wouldn't ski that, never mind run. Well done.

Don't forget the X axis is miles and the Y-axis is feet. Quite misleading!

Mon 15 Feb

Rest. No after effects at all from Sunday's tough run, which is encouraging. Had a little swim and sauna, which my legs appreciated.

Tue 16 Feb

WU + 3 x 2mi (½ mi A/R) + CD

The plan had 8 miles GA, but when aquinn invited me along on her tempo session I was delighted to have a chance to revisit the meno plan for 90 mins or so. She was looking to hit around 7:50 pace which would be a nice steady run, just under MP for me, so a decent workout. Headed out on a nice undulating route through Glasnevin, Finglas, Drumcondra and Donnycarney. Plenty of traffic and pedestrians about but we managed a nice consistent pace through most of the long reps, with the odd unavoidable traffic light stop.

Rep 1 15:39 (7:50/mi)
    Rep 2 15:40 (7:50/mi)
    Rep 3 15:23 (7:42/mi)

Really nice run - AQ nailed the session, despite some challenging terrain especially in reps 1 and 2. I've done this a few times myself and I know how tough it can be. Total with WU and CD 16.8 km (10.4 mi).

Wed 17 Feb

Recovery 8 km @ 5:59 (5 mi @ 9:39). Avg HR 152 (69% HRR).

Gentle plod along some of last night's route, in the opposite direction. Wore the HRM with a different strap and it seems to be working a bit better. Average is a little misleading because as is normal for me the rate is elevated for the first couple of kms before it settles.

WTD: 25 km (15 mi)
    MTD: 178 (111)
    YTD: 393 (244)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

good running Murph, been lurking as i'm two weeks behind you on the P&D plan as well. Just wondering how your finding it compared to the meno plan .

I've just done 14 mile mid week long run tonight and surprised to see its the longest midweek long run done already and 9 weeks left. also just one more LT run left in 2 weeks time ........the dreaded 11 with 7 @ hmp.
    I'm just thinking that on the meno plan these runs would have peaked closer to the marathon. I'm also missing the fact that Im not running MP miles as often but I guess its a different plan from a more reputable source :pac:

• Advertisement

Hey Tom, how are you? Looks like you're only a week behind me if you did that 14 miler today. I'm finding the plan pretty good so far, enjoying it. Yes, only one LT session left but I guess the difference is the amount of VO2Max sessions to be done instead. The meno plan was notable for the amount of MP and MP+/- running alright, as I remember it. I think that's why it's a very good plan for second, third (and fourth in my case) marathons as it really challenges you to think about and get comfortable with pace and distance. It has speed too - but maybe not as much as P&D, judging by the look of the second half that I'm just getting into now. I've done a Pfitzinger HM plan which has a very similar philosophy so I'm comfortable with the sessions (a lot of which look like typical club sessions anyway).

My verdict on P&D will have to wait till after Boston. But I'd expect any decent plan to be capable of delivering improvements anyway, as the base mileage is deeper and we are hopefully learning to train better all the time.

Best of luck with the training - London, I assume? Why don't you revive the log? :)

Thu 18 Feb

VO2Max session: WU + 5x800 (3 mins rec.) + CD

This session was in the plan for Tuesday but didn't suit so I swapped it out for today. I was a bit wary having done a fairly brisk MP-ish session the other night but at the same time I figured I should be able to handle it. After all some of my clubmates do 3 sessions plus a long run. Thought about heading over to the track early but it was a cold morning and I reckoned the ice I read about on Chivito's log was probably still hanging about, if not worse. So waited till lunchtime (which unfortunately meant canning the Pilates class. Hope to make it up). It was still chilly enough at lunchtime so I did a more enthusiastic warmup than usual with some dynamic stretching. Target was 3:18-3:26 or so per rep, as per McMillan.

3:21 HR 180 (89% HRR)
    3:21 HR 182 (90%)
    3:20 HR 182 (90%)
    3:24 HR 184 (91%)
    3:23 HR 185 (92%)

Having gotten used to doing these sessions on the track in a group, this was much, much harder, even taking the maximum 3-min recovery (did some track 800s a few weeks ago very comfortably under 3:20, off 75 secs). Then again, there were some tight turns and plenty of dogs and strollers to negotiate so this is a decent enough result. Fourth rep was so difficult I considered ditching but took a shorter recovery and finished it out. Couple of kms cooldown to bring the total over 10k (6.3m). Plenty more of these to come over the second half of the plan.

WTD: 35 km (22 mi)
    MTD: 188 (117)
    YTD: 403 (251)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hey Tom, how are you? Looks like you're only a week behind me if you did that 14 miler today. I'm finding the plan pretty good so far, enjoying it. Yes, only one LT session left but I guess the difference is the amount of VO2Max sessions to be done instead. The meno plan was notable for the amount of MP and MP+/- running alright, as I remember it. I think that's why it's a very good plan for second, third (and fourth in my case) marathons as it really challenges you to think about and get comfortable with pace and distance. It has speed too - but maybe not as much as P&D, judging by the look of the second half that I'm just getting into now. I've done a Pfitzinger HM plan which has a very similar philosophy so I'm comfortable with the sessions (a lot of which look like typical club sessions anyway).

My verdict on P&D will have to wait till after Boston. But I'd expect any decent plan to be capable of delivering improvements anyway, as the base mileage is deeper and we are hopefully learning to train better all the time.

Best of luck with the training - London, I assume? Why don't you revive the log? :)

Yes Murph your right Im a week behind you, I thought Boston was 2 weeks before London.
    London for me, P&D is going ok, LT runs are a bitch but getting there. Did this plan for second marathon in Cork 13 and found it a lot harder then as midweek long runs took a lot longer back then. Enjoying the running again though which is what I really like about marathons.....the discipline required and the gradual ticking off of key sessions .
    Ur going well urself , look to be on for continuing that impressive improvement curve !
    I'll try and revive that log alright......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

tomred1N wrote: »
    Yes Murph your right Im a week behind you, I thought Boston was 2 weeks before London.
    London for me, P&D is going ok, LT runs are a bitch but getting there. Did this plan for second marathon in Cork 13 and found it a lot harder then as midweek long runs took a lot longer back then. Enjoying the running again though which is what I really like about marathons.....the discipline required and the gradual ticking off of key sessions .
    Ur going well urself , look to be on for continuing that impressive improvement curve !
    I'll try and revive that log alright......

You are not alone!!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    You are not alone!!

Actually I've just noticed that, between one thing and another, I've missed two of these LT sessions so far, really struggled on two more, and cut the other one a bit short. Oops. Possibly identified a weakness there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Actually I've just noticed that, between one thing and another, I've missed two of these LT sessions so far, really struggled on two more, and cut the other one a bit short. Oops. Possibly identified a weakness there.

From what I've read defiantly important sessions for us runners, with more years than mileage in tank, so maybe lots of neglected progress there, watch this space:cool:

Fri 19 Feb

Rest.

Sat 20 Feb

GA + strides 13k @ 5:29 (8.1m @ 8:50).

Enjoyable run out the seafront. Did strides in usual spot near wooden bridge. Realised later I should have done another two sets. Oh well.

Sun 21 Feb

LSR 22.5k @ 5:47 (14m @ 9:18).

Dropped off in Bayside for another trip to the Howth Summit and home, mostly into the teeth of soul destroying character building 43kph wind. Tough going. Would've been much worse if I wasn't in the middle of Dry Feb.

WTD: 71 km (44 mi)
    MTD: 224 (139)
    YTD: 439 (273)

8 weeks to go...

This week is the first scheduled 55 mile week (there was a 54 a few weeks back but missed a good bit of it with flu). 37 of those miles are between Fri-Sun so I guess that's an example of the famous P&D "long run on tired legs" training strategy. First half of the week includes a tempo session so that's no doddle either.

Mon 22 Feb

Rest.

Tue 23 Feb

Recovery with strides 11.3k @ 6:04 (7m @ 9:47).

Headed up to Santry Demesne, where I haven't been for a while. The floods seem to have receded. Picked a nice, quiet piece of flat pathway for the strides and measured out a 100m stretch. Nobody around at first but people started to appear out of the woodwork and by the time I finished I was running wide to avoid dogs, toddlers, strollers, prams, and the odd pair of idly chatting Russians. Quite funny really. Still managed to give it some welly.

WTD: 11 km (7 mi)
    MTD: 235 (146)
    YTD: 450 (280)

Wed 24 Feb

Lactate Threshold 11k @ 4:32 (6.8m @ 7:18).

Warmed up with an easy run up to the Royal Canal at Phibsboro, then launched into the 11k LT session. I was aiming to hit 4:30 (7:15), just faster than 10-mile race pace. Breeze in my face for the outward, slightly uphill leg so I was a good bit off this pace when I turned, but I'm pretty familiar with this stretch and knew the return would be easier. Despite this I had to stop briefly on the way home to work out a stitch, and didn't quite make the target in the end, although I was feeling good and moving well over the last two kms. A tough run, the last of the LTs on the plan, and I'm glad to have come pretty close to the target, although a few seconds under would have been equally acceptable. :p

HRR for LT portion 177 (86%) which is towards the top of the suggested range (75-88%). Total with WU/CD 17.46k (10.9m).

WTD: 29 km (18 mi)
    MTD: 252 (157)
    YTD: 468 (291)

Thu 25 Feb

Rest.

Fri 26 Feb

MLR 19.3k @ 5:25 (12m @ 8:43). HRR 69%.

12 mile Tolka/Phoenix Park/Canal loop that was mysteriously about 800m shorter than last time and I ended up doing a couple of 400m loops on my imaginary Albo 'track'. Heart rate pleasingly low this time (if the bloody thing is working right). First half was a routine plod but was surprised how easy if felt dialing up to MP+10%, so that was encouraging.

WTD: 48 km (30 mi)
    MTD: 272 (169)
    YTD: 487 (303)

Sat 27 Feb

Recovery 5m (8k) on the seafront.

Sun 28 Feb

Long run 32k @ 5:15 (19.9m @ 8:28).

Second 20 miler I've managed this year, mostly in the Phoenix Park with a little detour down the south bank of the Liffey to Islandbridge. Quite chilly at the 8am start as I did five nice easy miles well wrapped up, before doubling back to the car park to discard a layer and meet up with FBOT, Ferris and yaboya. We did another five together before FBOT and yaboya picked up to their MP, while Ferris was kind enough to stick with me for the last 10. Beautiful morning for this -- didn't feel the distance at all, even though the pace was a little bit hotter than I'd planned. Delighted that this felt so good at the end of the first 55 mile week. The coffee and scones at the end were great too.

WTD: 88 km (55 mi)
    MTD: 312 (194)
    YTD: 527 (327)

Mon 29 Feb

Rest.

Tue 1 Mar

5x600 (~2 mins active recovery).

Headed over to the track for this. Began with a few laps of the adjacent Clanna Gael pitches to warm up. Lunchtime, but had the track more or less to myself. VO2Max session on the plan specifies 5 x 600 with active recovery of 50-90 percent of interval time. As the coaches always set up the session I've never had to worry about where a 600m in lane 5 (lane 1 was closed) should start from. Think I got it close enough, although the first rep was probably a little short.

2:14 2:22 2:20 2:22 2:23

This was tough but manageable - running by myself it felt quite slow but checking afterwards it looks OK (averaged 2:27 over eight reps last time I ran 600s in Jan.) So all good. Good to have this done. The plan is now in the "Race Prep" mesocycle and looking pretty tough over the next two weeks. Feeling a bit tired so that makes today's run all the more encouraging. A few more kms out to Irishtown Nature Reserve to cool down. Total: 13km (8m).

WTD: 13 km (8 mi)
    MTD: 13 (8)
    YTD: 540 (336)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Headed over to the track for this. Began with a few laps of the adjacent Clanna Gael pitches to warm up. [/I]

Great minds....

Was banging on the clubhouse door this morning myself, to do an LT session after my laps of Clanna Gael. Your right, quite different on your own but at same time nice feeling to have the track to yourself. Makes you feel like you own the place.

Nice session btw.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Was banging on the clubhouse door this morning myself

Just saw that run on strava - thought they didn't open till 10am. How did you get in at that hour (or is your watch on a different time zone?) :P

Ferris B wrote: »
    Great minds....

Was banging on the clubhouse door this morning myself, to do an LT session after my laps of Clanna Gael. Your right, quite different on your own but at same time nice feeling to have the track to yourself. Makes you feel like you own the place.

Nice session btw.

Spending too much time on the wrong side of the river is obviously rubbing off on you, C.

• Advertisement

Just saw that run on strava - thought they didn't open till 10am. How did you get in at that hour (or is your watch on a different time zone?) :P

Maybe the southside comment was a bit harsh........might be still Northsider afterall :D

Nice session, D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Spending too much time on the wrong side of the river is obviously rubbing off on you, C.

Sorry to interrupt but I think you'll find yours is the wrong side....:p

Firedance wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt but I think you'll find yours is the wrong side....:p

It's a rumour we like to perpetrate for our own nefarious reasons. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck Sunday D. Another PB on cards after all the running up and down them mountains in Donegal :)

Ps did I see you or your doppelgänger walking briskly with the kids to school in north strand this morning
    Was going to beep but wasn't sure was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hope all goes to plan and the weather plays ball. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Hope all goes to plan and the weather plays ball. Best of luck!

+1 more good luck wishes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck D see you and Anna in Ballycotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

All the best to you, give it some welly (and hope you don't need to wear them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hope you have a good one Murph, and keep that auld body together for a PB

TbL

Advertisement