Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    Hope he has room for second under his wing.

Ferris is planning on doing Cork too and he has also done it before so if you ask nicely he might even give you a guided tour on the day ;)
    Add your reply here.
    Cheers M, will ask him so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

P&D55 Week -13

Mon | Tue | Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun
    Rest | 14k w/ 8@ LT |Rec 8k| GA 16k | Rest/Cross | Rec 8k| 26k w/ 16@MP

Mon 11 Jan

Rest day on the plan but felt like a short recovery run would help after Sunday's mudfest. 30 mins very easy on the treadmill. Tiny bit of a twinge somewhere around right hamstring but doesn't feel like anything to worry about.

Tue 12 Jan

The club marathon session tonight was a 30-min tempo run so pretty compatible with the plan, if a bit shorter. Jogged over to the track, ready to dial back a little bit if necessary. Most of the group are 3 hour guys so can easily end up doing these sessions alone but had some company for this one which really helps as you kind of push each other along. These sessions are so much easier on the track that it almost feels like cheating. Plan wanted an extra mile but happy to stick to 4 as legs still not 100%. Jog home with aquinn for a total of 16k (10 mi).

WTD: 21k (13m)
    MTD/YTD: 93k (58)

Hey D,

Going to do Cork Marathon, would you mind if I had a look at plan u did for Cork
    Last year, also did u do half before and when & where if u did.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain.

Cheers G

Hey, G - of course. I used the meno plan. It's a great plan for a second marathon (used it myself for numbers 2, 3 and 4). I have a google doc version of it here. Firedance and mbarr are using the plan at the moment for Rotterdam, and aquinn (as she has already reminded us) will be using it for Cork too.

Happy for you to pick my brain about any of this. Good luck with it. It's a great marathon. Might even get down myself as the mrs is debating doing the half.

I did a HM during the plan but it was early -- to early to be much use (Omagh). You'd be better off finding one four or five weeks out.

Best of luck with it.

aquinn wrote: »
    So we're going to Omagh, Bundoran and Terenure. Handy too since you're local. Deadly. Thanks run buddy.

Excellent research there, A. :) All great races, but as the meno plan is built around the race series, it would probably be better to find a HM about 4-5 weeks before Cork and a 10m 8-9 weeks out. Although anything can be made work, really, if you want to do it and are prepared to adjust accordingly.

Thanks D

• Advertisement

Wed 13 Jan

Recovery 8k (5 mi)

Five very gentle long laps of Albert College Park. Went the 'wrong' direction for a change, clockwise, which meant I kept meeting the same walkers and runners over and over again. Does everyone in Ireland run/walk anti-clockwise in parks? When I was in Copenhagen recently it seemed to be the opposite.

Thu 14 Jan

GA 17k @ 5:28 (10.5 m @ 8:47)

Took a cue from Back in Black and loaded up a Bowie playlist and headed out from DCU on a route that tested my fairly sketchy knowledge of Finglas. Managed not to get lost, which is just as well as it started sleeting about 4 miles in and by the time I hit Tolka Valley and the Canal my hands were frozen. Had to stash my wet gloves (and glasses) in my hat as it was warmer without them. Canal was a bit dodgy as darkness had descended and I couldn't believe the number of unlit cyclists I came across. Couldn't complain as I wasn't lit up myself. Then again, maybe it's best not be be announcing your approach on a lonely, dark stretch like that. Did an extra lap of Albert College Park at the end as I misread the distance and thought I was short, ending up with an extra km. Had to sit in the dressing room for 20 mins to come back to room temperature before hitting the shower as my hands felt like they had frostbite. Not the most enjoyable run of all time, despite the company of the Thin White Duke.

WTD: 46k (29m)
    MTD/YTD: 118 (73)

Glad wasn't only one feeling the cold tonight, hard to get motivated, think we've been spoiled so far this winter. Won't get to many muggers standing around in this weather, there all at home keeping warm, more sensible than us lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Glad wasn't only one feeling the cold tonight, hard to get motivated, think we've been spoiled so far this winter. Won't get to many muggers standing around in this weather, there all at home keeping warm, more sensible than us lot.

+1, still not warmed up after my run earlier! although I have to say I much prefer this weather to the summer heat.

Sat 16 Jan

Easy/steady 4.9 mi (7.9k) inc. St. Anne’s parkrun

Rolled out of bed, straight into the running gear, out the door. Took a different route to St. Anne’s and nearly got lost in deep ’tarf but got to the start just as the pre-run briefing was coming to an end. Was thinking the turnout was smaller than expected but then noticed another big crowd already waiting over at the start line. Eager beavers. Took it nice and easy for the first lap, then upped it to +/- MP for the second. Huge numbers today, felt a bit guilty not to be helping out. Next time! That’s 46 parkruns now, I can almost smell the red tee shirt. Nice cup of coffee with a few of the regulars after, and great to see Laura back running again. Did another lap of the course after the coffee to stay on schedule.

Sun 17 Jan

24.3k @ 4:59 (15.1 @ 8:01) mi)

The plan called for 16 miles with 10 at MP. Feeling sociable this morning and headed to the Park for the club long run. They were doing 2 hours at 8 min pace and while I considered pushing on at my slightly faster MP I decided this would be a bit OCD of me and anyway with the chat it probably brought the effort close to or above MP anyway. Very enjoyable run, finishing with two fast miles as the pace was dialled up. Nice to (slow) run with the fast lads for a change, and meet some more club mates.

WTD: 78k (49m)
    MTD/YTD: 150 (93)

there were loads of big groups in the park today taking over all the footpaths :p I didn't spot you though but wasn't looking. Pleasant enough morning up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

My first ever Sunday morning running in the Park, could not get over the amount of club runners meeting at the bottom of the Kyber. Will endeavour to get there a few more times before Rotterdam.

tang1 wrote: »
    My first ever Sunday morning running in the Park, could not get over the amount of club runners meeting at the bottom of the Kyber. Will endeavour to get there a few more times before Rotterdam.

January, most of them will be gone again by February :D

Firedance wrote: »
    there were loads of big groups in the park today taking over all the footpaths :p I didn't spot you though but wasn't looking. Pleasant enough morning up there.

Well I see from the wonderful Strava fly-by thingy that our paths crossed (twice) at the bottom of the Furze Road but didn't spot you either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well I see from the wonderful Strava fly-by thingy that our paths crossed (twice) at the bottom of the Furze Road but didn't spot you either!

Visibility was probably poor through the cigar smoke :)

that's roughly where I spotted The Claw, I may have been otherwise occupied :pac: I remember that group, first time they forced me onto the muddy grass, second time I ran on the opposite side of the road to avoid them. I notice a few of the lads went out on the road when approaching others but a lot more didn't, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Nice couple of pacey miles at the end give a good confidence boost.

Firedance wrote: »
    that's roughly where I spotted The Claw, I may have been otherwise occupied :pac: I remember that group, first time they forced me onto the muddy grass, second time I ran on the opposite side of the road to avoid them. I notice a few of the lads went out on the road when approaching others but a lot more didn't, oh well.

Oh, sorry to hear that. I think most of our group were pretty mannerly but there's always one or two...

P&D55 Week -12

Mon | Tue | Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun | Tot
    Rest | 13k (8) w/10x100 strides | Rec 8k (5) | GA 13k (8) | Rest/Cross | Rec 6k (4) | 19k (12) | 59k (27)

First step-back week of the plan, bringing the base (endurance) phase to a close. Can't believe it will be six weeks in by the weekend. The step back is welcome after last week's 49 miles, the heaviest week since last August. Again, will swap the Tues run for club session but other than that, all easy/recovery stuff.

Mon 18 Jan

Rest. Enjoyed the day off.

Tue 19 Jan

WU + 4x400 (30), 4x800 (75) + CD

Warmup run over to the track with aquinn as has become customary. Great way to get in a few extra miles in good company. The session was a new one to me and I found it tough starting with the 400s as I did the first couple too fast and struggled for a bit before finding a better groove for the 800s. Ferris B came over to check out the club and had an excellent session from what I could see from a few groups back.

1:27* 1:27 1:30 1:31
    3:19 3:16 3:16 3:06

*guessing (forgot to hit the start button)

A tad fast, and I have a bit of a glute after. Doesn't feel like a problem but I should probably have taken it a little bit easier. Felt good though. Few cool down laps with Ferris and back to D3 with aquinn.

WTD: 14k (9m)
    MTD/YTD: 164k (102)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Looks like a good session Murph. Is the recovery walking jogging or standing out of curiosity.

• Advertisement

For this session it involved the short walk from finish line to the wherever the 400/800 marks are in lane 4, then standing.

Wed 20 Jan

Right leg feeling a bit funny so didn't do the planned 8k recovery.

Thu 21 Jan

50 mins recovery 8.2k (5.1 mi)

Gingerly onto the treadmill for yesterday's recovery instead of today's easy 13k. All seems ok. Practiced increasing cadence to 180 to while away the boredom. Found that the change threw my 2:3 breathing off. One thing at a time!

WTD: 22 km (14 mi)
    MTD/YTD: 172 (107)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Murph_D wrote:
    Right leg feeling a bit funny so didn't do the planned 8k recovery.

What's wrong with the leg? A knot?

Not sure. Glute and hamstring a bit tender after track session the other night. Feels a bit like sciatica or something but hopefully not. Must do the BG back exercises again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Not sure. Glute and hamstring a bit tender after track session the other night. Feels a bit like sciatica or something but hopefully not. Must do the BG back exercises again!

Nice session D. Make sure you get on top of whatever it is as soon as possible and be careful with the long runs while it is acting up. It is the long runs (2hr plus) that can really aggravate the lower back if the glute isn't firing correctly.....IMHO :)

Note to self...must give BG back her back book. Sorry G. Will get it back to you next week.:o

Fri 22 Jan

GA 13k @ 5:23 (8.1 mi @ 8:49)

A day behind with this one. Out along Tolka Valley to Ashtown for first time in a while. Some works going on at Ashtown/Scribblestown. Would be great if they're extending the park but probably something else. Learned that Tolka is derived from the Irish word for flood. That explains a few things.

Sat 23 Jan

Recovery 6k (3.7 mi)

The Mrs was treated to a night at Mount Juliet, Kilkenny, and thoughtfully invited me along. :D We got there in late afternoon and got in a few miles through the estate including a muddy trail along the river which was a bit dodgy. A tripped on a tree root and took a fall, unfortunately. We limped back to the hotel and treated her injury with a few scoops. Doctors orders.

Sun 24 Jan

MLR 19.3k @ 5:29 (12 mi @ 8:49)

A was going to join me for the first mile or two of this but had to stop with a sore ankle to compound yesterday's shoulder trouble. I explored more of the estate and then headed across the Nore to Ballylinch Stud, an impeccably kept facility with walker/hiker rights of way all through it. If only we'd discovered this yesterday. :mad: I was a bit hungover but managed to struggle through the scheduled 12 miles a little slower than recommended, hilly enough terrain but mostly on beautiful tarmac road through horse paddocks, farmyards, and forest, with a small section of quite dry riverside grass. Really lovely place to run, pity I wasn't in better shape to enjoy it. :p

WTD: 60 km (37 mi)
    MTD/YTD: 210 (131)

This week sees the start of the second mesocycle in the plan, with the focus on LT and endurance runs.

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|Tot
    Rest|16k (10) w/ 8 @ LT|Rec 6k (4)|MLR 18k (11)|Rest/Cross|GA+Speed 11k (7) w/ 8x100 strides|LR 29k (18)|80k (50)

Two complications: first, I've caught whatever kept the kids off school last week, and there's the Raheny 5 on Sun, which cans the long run.

Any ideas?

I'm assuming I'll be feeling better tomorrow and won't miss too much of the first half of the week. Can do the LT with the club marathon group. Raheny is not a goal race but I'd like to have another go at sub-35, which shouldn't require too much adjustment to the plan. Fewer or shorter strides on the Sat probably. Shame to mess with the mileage too much, but if I jog gently over to Raheny and home after it should take me up to about 18-20k for Sunday. Or maybe just forget about that, after all there's a 20-miler next week. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Bummer D I hope you kick the dose pretty quickly and can keep things ticking over during the week. I wouldn't be doing much more than that if you are under the weather and looking at giving Raheny a good lash. Trying to squeeze too much in would be worse than doing nothing IMHO.

If you are below par you might want to can the LT and either take it as a rest/recovery day or a general aerobic day if you are feeling it. You will be getting a good LT work out on Sunday.

In relation to the weekends long run that is the price for racing on Sunday so I would just pay it and move on. Again if you try to squeeze too much in on Sunday you might as well not race as you won't do yourself justice. Anyway with a 1-2mile warm up and cool down you won't lose that much in weekly mileage terms.

Wise as always, M. Yep, I'll save the LT for Sunday and just try to limit the damage the rest of the week. Thanks.

• Advertisement

There is another option..don't race raheny & stick to the plan! I'd love to be racing on Sunday but it's not the goal, or in the plan so it's out :)

hope you feel better soon

Advertisement