Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done Murph, sounds like you had more in the tank. You're an experienced racer so I'd be interested to know why you decided to hold back, sounds like you felt strong when you made the decision?

Yeah, I wanted to hold something back for the hills at the end but even so I kind of knew I was being too conservative. Just didn't trust how strong I felt. I've been guilty of holding back a bit before in order to run a conservative PB but this time (with a bit of hindsight) it was too obvious. There was no pain. None at all, except a bit over the last mile, but there was plenty left in the proverbial tank. No dry retching at any point, no overwhelming desire to "do a Declan" and jump in the ditch. I couldn't handle it because I didn't expect to feel as strong as I did. It speaks well of the P&D plan I guess but there's also some lifestyle changes (alcohol free) that I suspect might have something to do with it.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    XC will sort you out !:D No times to pick, just run and suffer :pac::pac::pac:

Great report, Murph. Really enjoyed it and it reminded me of how I felt after the half last year - delighted with the PB but slightly annoyed with myself that I didn't push harder. It's difficult to know when to take the risk, and FWIW with Boston only a few weeks away, you may well have taken the right decision. You know that sub 70 is there the next time. Glad to have been of some minor assistance with that push up the hill. I suspect if we have ever have a rematch in Blessington I'll be lucky to even see you before you disappear over that hill!

Well done again, super result.

Thanks - yes, I think you're right. The masters XC this year was as tough as I've ever done and it is kind of exhilarating not to give a toss about the time and just try and run. I really should do more of that, or just more pure racing in general. A lot of it has to do with my love of numerical data to obsess over, which can be debilitating.

But yes, there is the fact that Boston is the main deal and that did cross my mind, but at the same time the plan had given me full permission to give it a lash.

A rematch at the Lakes, why not? Wouldn't expect the result to be much different though tbh. I certainly wasn't holding back that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Murph_D wrote: »
    You're right - not suffering enough for the cause. Have to start pushing it more. I think a lot of my results are self-fulfilling - I pick a time and run it, rather than running and getting a time, if you know what I mean. That will have to change.

Yeah but how do you do that for a longer race like a 10 mile? surely you have to somewhat 'pick a time' and run to that? if you go out racing flat out you'll have nothing left? I think I asked FBOT this question before, and I think he said that yeah you have to pick a race pace that you know you're capable of based on your training and thats your race (I could have picked that up wrong...)

Do you think if you'd looked at the splits for a sub 70 before hand you could have run them?

Personally I say well done, a 2 min PB? at your level? (I said level, not age :p) fantastic.

Well yes, there has to be a race pace - for me, I always aim for the McMillan time, for better or worse, and try to hit it. It's often a struggle in which case I go home delighted with myself. Sometimes it feels easy if you haven't raced the distance for a while and the time is soft because you've been slowly improving, as most of us do for a few years (I think RayCun estimated seven years?) at all distances. Based on last few road races from 5k to HM, 73 flat was the McMillan time, hence I thought 72 would be an excellent result. Which it would have been, if it had felt harder! Thing is I was under that again and I've no doubt now, with a bit of gumption, I could have knocked off another minute and at least challenged the 70 mins. But hindsight is great.

Don't get me wrong - the legs today are telling me it was no lap of honour, but you always know when you could have given it more. Ironically yaboya, who always accuses me of settling for the cigar in the last mile, thought I looked a bit more red in the face yesterday but that was because probably cos he saw me at the absolutely toughest point in the race. So yes, you have to have a target, but you also can reassess (up or down) during the race depending on conditions and how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done Murph! Super PB. That's a fine time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done on that time. Great running and more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Firedance wrote: »
    Yeah but how do you do that for a longer race like a 10 mile? surely you have to somewhat 'pick a time' and run to that? if you go out racing flat out you'll have nothing left? I think I asked FBOT this question before, and I think he said that yeah you have to pick a race pace that you know you're capable of based on your training and thats your race (I could have picked that up wrong...)

Do you think if you'd looked at the splits for a sub 70 before hand you could have run them?

Personally I say well done, a 2 min PB? at your level? (I said level, not age :p) fantastic.

My personal take on it and I am far far from an expert, is that for longer races 10 mile upwards you train for a race pace and go with that for about 60-70% of the distance and then you should be making a call on how much pain you are willing to endure before testing if you are capable of enduring it ;)

However I think a lot of us including myself are consumed by the outcome rather than the process so we don't really have a go for fear of "failure". Some of my best races have been when I forgot the watch or deliberately ignored it. I know last year when I ran both my 5k and 5m PBs I hadn't a clue where I was time wise until I crossed the line. I was too busy chasing down (trying to hang on to) the person in front of me to worry about the watch.

D, I know exactly were you are coming from but it is all a learning curve and irrespective of the free pass from P&D there is still a little voice that will remind you of the MAIN THING. The key is probably to go into a future cycle with the MAIN THING being to RLF and see where it gets you :D

All that being said it was still an excellent result and the report made interested reading with plenty of food for thought!

Well yes, there has to be a race pace - for me, I always aim for the McMillan time, for better or worse, and try to hit it. It's often a struggle in which case I go home delighted with myself. Sometimes it feels easy if you haven't raced the distance for a while and the time is soft because you've been slowly improving, as most of us do for a few years (I think RayCun estimated seven years?) at all distances. Based on last few road races from 5k to HM, 73 flat was the McMillan time, hence I thought 72 would be an excellent result. Which it would have been, if it had felt harder! Thing is I was under that again and I've no doubt now, with a bit of gumption, I could have knocked off another minute and at least challenged the 70 mins. But hindsight is great.

Don't get me wrong - the legs today are telling me it was no lap of honour, but you always know when you could have given it more. Ironically yaboya, who always accuses me of settling for the cigar in the last mile, thought I looked a bit more red in the face yesterday but that was because probably cos he saw me at the absolutely toughest point in the race. So yes, you have to have a target, but you also can reassess (up or down) during the race depending on conditions and how you feel.

I also have a theory that the chill in the air and the rain made it feel easier on the legs because they were too numb to hurt as much as usual :D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I also have a theory that the chill in the air and the rain made it feel easier on the legs because they were too numb to hurt as much as usual :D

:D:D I can't believe you said that, I thought I was going bonkers on Saturday, mid race in the rain - I had to look down to make sure my legs were still there* because I could feel nothing!!! So glad there are other crazies out there :p

*for the smart asses, obviously I knew they were there

Ha - a bit of rain is great for cooling the legs. I don't feel the cold too much while running - was amazed at the number of people wearing base layers yesterday. I'd be burning up. But whatever works - I was looking at a lot of these base layers from behind! Not many tights in evidence surprisingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Great running Murph, well done!

Anyway enough of all this narcissism. :rolleyes:

Mon 7 Mar

80 mins recovery @ 5:56/k (9:33/m)

The plan for last week specified an 8-15k race for Sat followed by a 17 mile LR on the Sun. I think if the weekend race had been a 5 mile I might have attempted this. But after some consultation with FBOT, who's well versed on the Pfitzinger methods, I decided to dial it well back, and in the end I think this was more than enough.

WTD: 13 km (8 mi)
    MTD: 70 (43)
    YTD: 597 (371)
    )

Tue 8 Mar

GA 8k @ 5:28 (5m @ 8:47) HRR 70%

Lunchtime run from DCU through Drumcondra. Really enjoyed this. Realised later I was supposed to do 13k. Oops.

Wed 9 Mar

VO2 session: 5x1000 @ 5k pace (3:45 a/r)

Trust the plan, I told myself on the warmup jog up to the canal. Doing any kind of session a few days after a race is alien territory to me. Having heavily curtailed last week’s long run though, I didn’t want to make too many changes. I was conscious too of having a day less recovery as the race was Sunday, so might have been a better idea to postpone this till tomorrow. But it's done now, and it was bloody hard.

4:16 4:14 4:15 4:11 4:07 (No HRM data today)

The target was 4:10 so not great. First three were into the wind though so the effort was there, mostly. Third rep a bit short because I pressed the lap button by mistake. Added a short sixth “rep" to make up for it. Long cool down because I added in some of yesterday’s shortfall. Total: 17k (10.6m)

WTD: 39k (24m)
    MTD: 95 (59)
    YTD: 622 (386)

Tue 8 Mar

GA 8k @ 5:28 (5m @ 8:47) HRR 70%

Lunchtime run from DCU through Drumcondra. Really enjoyed this. Realised later I was supposed to do 13k. Oops.

Wed 9 Mar

VO2 session: 5x1000 @ 5k pace (3:45 a/r)

Trust the plan, I told myself on the warmup jog up to the canal. Doing any kind of session a few days after a race is alien territory to me. Having heavily curtailed last week’s long run though, I didn’t want to make too many changes. I was conscious too of having a day less recovery as the race was Sunday, so might have been a better idea to postpone this till tomorrow. But it's done now, and it was bloody hard.

4:16 4:14 4:15 4:11 4:07 (No HRM data today)

The target was 4:10 so not great. First three were into the wind though so the effort was there, mostly. Third rep a bit short because I pressed the lap button by mistake. Added a short sixth “rep" to make up for it. Long cool down because I added in some of yesterday’s shortfall. Total: 17k (10.6m)

WTD: 39k (24m)
    MTD: 95 (59)
    YTD: 622 (386)

Good session, D. Wouldn't worry too much about being a couple of seconds off pace if the effort felt right. There is a bit of intensity in the next few weeks for you with the VO2 Max session coming in so just be sensible and as they say listen to your body. I am not saying let yourself off lightly, I am just saying don't try murder yourself either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Congrats on the 10m. Great training going on as well :D

Good session, D. Wouldn't worry too much about being a couple of seconds off pace if the effort felt right. There is a bit of intensity in the next few weeks for you with the VO2 Max session coming in so just be sensible and as they say listen to your body. I am not saying let yourself off lightly, I am just saying don't try murder yourself either :)

Cheers - yes, it's a nervy time alright, with less than 6 weeks to go. I'm glad of the fairly regular club sessions over the past year - definitely helps take the fear out of this VO2Max stuff.

Congrats on the 10m. Great training going on as well :D

Thanks CM - have to admit I've lost track of your log but the mrs fills me in on your adventures from time to time. Sounds tough!

Thu 10 Mar

Pilates session. Found this one much easier than the last couple of times, so getting back into it. A few minutes on the treadmill to shake out the legs after.

Fri 11 Mar

MLR 20k @ 5:20 (12.4 @ 8:35).

The usual 12 mile route over to the P Park. Muggy evening and this felt tough from the beginning, with tired legs too. Should have slowed it down a bit more but had somewhere to be after.

Sat 12 Mar

40 mins recovery. Plan had 5 miles but I stupidly headed to the gym as I felt like doing a gentle treadmill run. They closed up earlier than expected so had to cut it short and only got 4 done. Stupid treadmill.

Sun 13 Mar

Long run with 23k (14m) @ MP.

Nice and early to the Phoenix Park. Met a clubmate during warm up and joined her for a mile or so down the North Road. Back up to the Visitors Centre then to meet up with FBOT01 and Ferris B for the MP miles. No sign of Ferris so after the obligatory 5-second wait FBOT decided he was a no-show. Eased into the MP miles, targeting 7:40 pace. M was full of chat so I was soon blowing hard trying to keep up my end of the conversation. Luckily after 5 miles Ferris showed up on the Military Road though, having slept it out after being up half the night celebrating his victory over meno at St. Anne's yesterday. :D

A challenging run, which got tougher as it progressed. Nearly blew a gasket at the end after suggesting we pick up the pace over the final km: FBOT was certainly up for that at the end of his easy 22 miler and laid down quite a pace down Chesterfield leaving me and Ferris to flap about in his wake. Finished off the morning with a coffee and scones, always a treat (especially when M is paying). Cheers lads, this was a blast.

WTD: 96k (60m)
    MTD:153 (95)
    YTD: 680 (422)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fantastic running in Ballycotton D. Your training is going very well I see too.

14 miles at MP...:eek: nice work! Tell me it was easy...

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Fantastic running in Ballycotton D. Your training is going very well I see too.

Cheers R.
    Firedance wrote: »
    14 miles at MP...:eek: nice work! Tell me it was easy...

It's never easy, FD, but it's always less difficult with company. :)

Mon 14 Mar

Rest. Glad of it.

Tue 15 Mar

VO2Max session: 5x600 @ 5k pace (2 mins active recovery).

Headed over to Irishtown at lunchtime and started with a few warmup kilometres out to the Nature Reserve. Had the track to myself bar a couple of sprinters running 200s in the outer lanes. Was more careful about finding the correct Lane 4 starting point for 600s, and I think I got it pretty close, measuring to finish at the end of the back straight. (During the cool down I noticed there are little marker plates for various distances around the edge of the track so I could have saved myself some pacing out). One thing I learned is that my previous set of 600s was probably about 30m short. :P With a target of around 2:27, I struggled as usual to find the pace. Used the splits for first two as a guide and got it more or less right for the final three.

2:18 2:20 2:26 2:24 2:23 (Max HRR 92%, Avg. 81%)

Apart from the first one, the rest of this felt good and controlled. All the necessary body parts seem to be functioning more or less the way they should be. ;) Cooled down with a few more kms on the infield grass. Total 13.2k (8.2m).

WTD: 13k (8m)
    MTD:166 (103)
    YTD: 693 (431)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Was at the track this morning. It was a bit like a tough mudda, hell and back type run with all the chunky bird sh!t on the track. I suspect the brent geese... Time for them to head back nth.

Yes there was plenty of it about at lunchtime, and a huge flock on the infield. Not sure if they were geese but definitely full of shyte. And in D4 and all. Tut tut.

Plenty of crap mashed into the track too - that must have been your work! :p

Plenty of crap mashed into the track too - that must have been your work! :p

Only in lane 8, all 453m of it. I was on a measuring exercise!

Not sure though if it is the middle or left edge of lane where it's measured.

Well if you measured that yourself it seems pretty accurate. I reckoned lane 4 was 423 which is also correct according to this:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-common-length-of-every-lane-in-a-track-and-field-running-track

Well if you measured that yourself it seems pretty accurate. I reckoned lane 4 was 423 which is also correct according to this:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-common-length-of-every-lane-in-a-track-and-field-running-track

I had checked online in advance that lane 8 was 453m. I was counting my laps and comparing my actual run distance to my garmin distance. Turns out the garmin was way off, even more than I thought it might be. It over measured by 536m over 18 laps which means my supposed workout pace of a tasty 6:20 was actually nearer to slovenly 6:50:(.

Hopefully I'm wrong with my sums

Ferris B wrote: »

Hopefully I'm wrong with my sums

I make that closer to 6:45. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I make that closer to 6:45. :)

what's 5 seconds between friends...

...and yiz are taking this precision way too far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats on pb today Murph didn't realise you had such a great performance till M told me all that training paying off well done :)

Advertisement