Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Firedance wrote: »
    14 weeks to go! would you mind not giving me heart failure!!! its 15 weeks to Boston (its only Tuesday) & 14 weeks to Rotterdam - right???

p.s. nice session :)

Yeah, it's just the way P&D numbers the weeks - it's 14 from the end of the week, not the beginning! So yeah, it's really 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sat 2 Jan

Rest.

Sun 3 Jan

22.5 k @ 5:17 (14 mi @ 8:30)

Got a lift as far as Sutton and headed up Howth Head and back to Fairview. Even more respect for Fat Turkey runners - that climb to the car park at the Summit Inn is just cruel. P&D say to to treat these MLR and LRs as progression, finishing at MP so I tried to take it easy on the downhill this time. The season of goodwill must be over because some jerk in an SUV at Sutton Cross pulled out of a driveway while I was already crossing the road and decided to play chicken with me. I let him win.

Beautiful morning. Even the customary headwind the way home was less taxing than usual. Tried to do MP (4:46) by feel along the very crowed path between the wooden bridge and Alfie Byrne Road and was delighted to see the watch beep 4:48 4:48 4:42 for the section.

WTD: 66 km (41 mi)
    MTD: 30 (18)
    YTD: 30 (18)
    Mon 4 Jan

Rest.

Tue 5 Jan

WU + 8x600 (200 jog recovery) + CD

As it was bucketing down all day I was fully resigned to getting a right soaking tonight and even applied some strategic vaseline in anticipation of a bit of chafage. But miraculously, the heavens decided to close just as I headed out the door and although the jog over to the track was a bit splashy, that was as bad as it got. A good crowd tonight, including a few new people.

2:26 2:30 2:30 2:31 2:24 2:24 2:20 2:15

Recommended pace for these is about 2:28 so close enough. Jogged home for a total of 15.3 km (9.5) for the night. Good session.

WTD: 15 km (10 mi)
    MTD/YTD: 45 (28)

Happy New Year, D. Just catching up here. Some great training going on even if not always by the book ;)

On the progression MLRs and LRs my read of P&D is that these should be done in the range MP+20% to MP+10% starting at slower end and finishing at faster end. My understanding is that only the prescribed MP runs should be run at MP in fact they specifically say "Avoid the temptation to do your medium-long run too hard on days when you feel fresh, because this will prolong your recovery time and reduce the quality of other key workouts".

You're absolutely right. Good to catch this kind of mistake early on so thanks!

Wed 6 Jan

50 mins recovery on the treadmill. I always set the treadmill to 6/k pace, and that is not hard, but for some reason it always feels harder than a similarly paced outdoor run. Does anyone else find this?

Thu 7 Jan

Easy 9.7k @ 5:33 (6m @ 8:55)

Back to the Demesne. Forgot about the path closures in the panhandle so back through Northwood. Discovered a new river in the park. Global warming FTW (not). Met a colleague on the Ballymun Road wearing headphones while walking. Blank smile to my "Happy New Year".

WTD: 33 km (21 mi)
    MTD/YTD: 63 (39)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Wed 6 Jan

50 mins recovery on the treadmill. I always set the treadmill to 6/k pace, and that is not hard, but for some reason it always feels harder than a similarly paced outdoor run. Does anyone else find this?

Yeah, I definitely find the treadmill harder than the road for the same pace! But I think it's all in my head. I was doing a session on the treadmill one day when we had a power cut. I was pacing with my foot pod and had no choice but to finish the session out on the road without gps. I maintained the same pace but here's the thing my HR went way up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

neilc wrote: »
    Yeah, I definitely find the treadmill harder than the road for the same pace! But I think it's all in my head. I was doing a session on the treadmill one day when we had a power cut. I was pacing with my foot pod and had no choice but to finish the session out on the road without gps. I maintained the same pace but here's the thing my HR went way up!

I feckin hate the treadmill. Hate it!! It's way harder, not just in the head but on the legs and lungs!

TbL

I like the treadmill for recoveries though. Low impact. Slow as you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

I like the treadmill for recoveries though. Low impact. Slow as you like!
    Add your reply here.
    Bored witless after 3-4 k, tried on hols this year and just couldn't do for more than few k.

Yeah, an iPod helps. Only time I ever use one.

Sun 10 Jan

Dublin Masters Cross Country (St. Anne's Park)

I don’t think I’ve ever looked forward less to a race that this. My XC debut in this event last year was a baptism of fire and I finished 180th out of 216 runners. At the time I quite enjoyed the change of atmosphere and vowed to do more XC, but that hasn’t worked out and so I found myself lining up yet again with the cream of Dublin’s masters runners in only my second XC event. While last year the course was relatively dry, this year was a different story. The race was to be about 6k over four laps, starting in boggy conditions, improving slightly to marsh, then descending into quagmire until the half way point of the lap where there was some relief through dryish mud for a good stretch, followed by another round of wet stuff before hitting the only firm turf part of the course, about 100m or so at the end of each lap. At least I’d done a warmup lap with a couple of clubmates so had some idea what to expect and I was confident that the 12mm spikes I’d invested in during the week at BG’s advice would do the job.

After cheering on BG, aquinn, a few more clubmates, and of course HelenAnne in the women’s race (very well done, all), I lined up with the men in some pretty sticky and smelly mud. Great atmosphere though - the mood was very positive. The start was naturally congested but pretty fast as everyone had lined up more or less in the right place and soon after the first bend the field was pretty much set up. Passed a few people here by just ploughing straight through the mud as some lads sought to pick their way around the dryer edges. I know nothing at all about XC but this seemed a good enough strategy and I stuck with it throughout. It was a bit sapping on the legs though, as the mud got thicker and suckier with each lap.

Terrific support out on the course from lots of clubmates, family and a few other local friends, very much appreciated, and much needed. At the end of lap one the thought of another three seemed unbearable but I was working pretty well with clubmate and fellow M50 teammate, R, to keep each other going. I had no idea about pace but we were passing a few lads when the opportunity arose and I don’t think we were passed ourselves more than once or twice after the first lap. Think R was in trail shoes though and he dropped away a bit in lap 3, where I found a little bit of a groove, although I had to slow a bit in the trees when I was hit with a few dry heaves. Last year I was lapped by the leading group about three quarters way around lap three and one of my ambitions today was for that not to happen. It seemed on but just as I approached the bell the race leader zipped around me from nowhere and dived into the chute. Fair play to him, but I was a bit miffed at that. Just dug in for the rest of the race and passed another few in lap 4. With about 400m to go I was homing in on the runner in front but he was in trail shoes and hopped up on the tarmac path and started to get away (BG had warned me in advance that running on the tarmac was a no no, a potential disqualification offence). I knew though that I’d have a chance in the final stretch of mud bath to get my revenge and when I rounded the bend I made it my business to catch the guy, passing him with about 100 to go and making the most of the still goodish ground here to finish pretty strong and hold position through the line. Third scorer on our team but no idea how we did yet, either individually or teams.

Well done to Raheny for organising - seemed to go off very smoothly despite the tough conditions.

Lap splits: (approx): 7:33 7:33 7:31 7:25
    Km splits: 4:46 4:58 5:09 5:12 5:15 (4:37)
    Mi splits: 7:42 8:20 8:21 (5:35)

WTD: 42 km (26 mi)
    MTD/YTD: 72 (45)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

XC looks and sounds quite painful. Today's muckfest can only have added to the fun. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done D. Was thinking of you all with the downpour last night, can only imagine how energy sapping the conditions are on the legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done D, great report & nice running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great report! I'm not sure I can remember a whole lot about my race :rolleyes:. The cheek of yer man running on the path, so glad you beat him. Well done today, 4 laps not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

fantastic! well done especially on catching the tarmac runner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I think that run definitely merits a place in your all time top two XC performances.
    Well done :D

Well done, D. Sounds like a good workout and a bit of craic. Must try it some time.

Well done D, great finish, impressed with kick at the end of that slog fest.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well done, D. Sounds like a good workout and a bit of craic. Must try it some time.

That's what you said last year!(Mind you I said myself I'd do another one and never did - till now). Lets line up for a BHAA one of these weekends.

Results are in - improved 23 places on last year, so progress is progress. ;)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done D, great finish, impressed with kick at the end of that slog fest.

I had my reasons ;)

• Advertisement

Results in: 157th place overall. On a quick count, I finished about 41st of around 57 M50 and older. No great shakes for sure. A bit better than last year. Team only finished 7th which is a bit disappointing but at least it's an improvement.

Must try harder.

That's what you said last year!(Mind you I said myself I'd do another one and never did - till now). Lets line up for a BHAA one of these weekends.

Results are in - improved 23 places on last year, so progress is progress. ;)

Let's discuss it over a post parkrun coffee one of these Saturdays and see how we can fit it in around Boston Training.......14 weeks tomorrow :pac::pac:

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Let's discuss it over a post parkrun coffee one of these Saturdays and see how we can fit it in around Boston Training.......14 weeks tomorrow :pac::pac:

How true. Back to reality. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Brilliant going yesterday D. 4 laps and you never visibly faded anyway. Not easy as two is a blur.

aquinn wrote: »
    Brilliant going yesterday D. 4 laps and you never visibly faded anyway. Not easy as two is a blur.

Thanks, A. If yaboya reads your comment though there will be talk of cigars (although even I wouldn't get the cigars out with 75% of the field in front of me). :D I do think the pictures show my expression getting gradually more haunted as the race wears on. :o

Hey D,

Going to do Cork Marathon, would you mind if I had a look at plan u did for Cork
    Last year, also did u do half before and when & where if u did.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain.

Cheers G

Kennyg71 wrote:
    Going to do Cork Marathon, would you mind if I had a look at plan u did for Cork Last year, also did u do half before and when & where if u did.

Yahoo. Me too and with D's guidance.

aquinn wrote: »
    Kennyg71 wrote:
    Going to do Cork Marathon, would you mind if I had a look at plan u did for Cork Last year, also did u do half before and when & where if u did.

Yahoo. Me too and with D's guidance.
    Add your reply here.
    Hope he has room for second under his wing.

Kennyg71 wrote:
    Add your reply here. Hope he has room for second under his wing.

So we're going to Omagh, Bundoran and Terenure. Handy too since you're local. Deadly. Thanks run buddy.

• Advertisement

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    Hope he has room for second under his wing.

Ferris is planning on doing Cork too and he has also done it before so if you ask nicely he might even give you a guided tour on the day ;)

Advertisement