Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well yes AM, that's another option alright! There are three tune up races in the plan, but not starting or another 6 weeks or so (Ballycotton will be the first).

I agree with you in principle, and I do believe in sticking to the plan (otherwise it becomes a different plan). But there's always room for a little flexibility!

(Now if only my joints were as flexible as my racing schedule).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well yes AM, that's another option alright! There are three tune up races in the plan, but not starting or another 6 weeks or so (Ballycotton will be the first).

I agree with you in principle, and I do believe in sticking to the plan (otherwise it becomes a different plan). But there's always room for a little flexibility!

(Now if only my joints were as flexible as my racing schedule).

I'd a feeling you were going to say that :p O.K. so, one more for the cheering list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How are you feeling D? Bug gone and ready for club?

Sitting it out tonight. Early to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Not sure if your over your deadly strain of man-flu D, but if you are and racing tomorrow best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Not sure if your over your deadly strain of man-flu D, but if you are and racing tomorrow best of luck with it.

Thanks B - won't make it to the start line unfortunately. Hope to drag myself out of the sick bed to watch though.

ah bummer!! hope you're over the worst of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Sorry to hear that D. Hopefully see you there tomorrow.

And I was relying on you to hold my hand in my first outing wearing the Cru silks:eek:

Firedance wrote: »
    ah bummer!! hope you're over the worst of it?

Yeah, think so, thanks. See you in the cheering zone.
    Ferris B wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that D. Hopefully see you there tomorrow.

And I was relying on you to hold my hand in my first outing wearing the Cru silks:eek:

I'm sure you'll do us proud, C! Assume you got sorted out with the singlet, then? Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks B - won't make it to the start line unfortunately. Hope to drag myself out of the sick bed to watch though.

Sorry to hear that D. Hopefully see you anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Bummer D. Hope you are out the other side of it but just in case you're not and to avoid any awkward moments later if I see you up there....no kissing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Sorry to hear u not running, was hoping to get on your heals, for sub 35 atempt☺hope u feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Bummer D hope you feel better soon. Prob the wise choice not to run if not feeling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Sorry to hear that D. Give us a shout out

Tue 2 Feb

Recovery + speed (6x100) Tot 11k @ 6:12 (6.8 mi @ 9:59)

After my initial optimism last week was a total flu-ridden write-off, apart from 5k on the treadmill on Weds, which was a mistake. I reluctantly shelved Sunday's race and had a few fairly delirious days towards the end of the week. Was feeling a bit better by the weekend though and enjoyed watching and taking a few snaps at Raheny. Some really excellent performances.

Anyway, with a scheduled rest day yesterday and recovery today, I'm hoping to just ease back into the plan. Obviously I'll take it a bit easier this week, play it by ear and see how it goes. Felt good to be out this morning, although I stumbled on some raised pavement and nearly went on my ear outside Artaine Castle. A bit rusty, but I righted myself like a pro. Strides felt good.

WTD: 11km (7 mi)
    MTD: 11 (7)
    YTD: 226 (141)

Welcome back and hope you are feeling better. VERY easy this week.

You know the drill, report the footpath.

Welcome back and hope you are feeling better. VERY easy this week.

You know the drill, report the footpath.

Footpath reported, ma'am.

Thu 5 Feb

Tuesday was a bit of a false start. Things definitely improving but I didn't feel up to Wednesday's 12-mile MLR. Thurs was a rest/cross day on the plan: went to a lunchtime Pilates class for the first time in ages. Expected to really struggle with this, and I did for some of it, but coped reasonably well with the tough stuff. 6k on treadmill to round out the lunch hour.

Fri 5 Feb

WU + 2x4k @ LT + CD

The plan had 16k with 10 at 10k-HM pace. I was not going to risk that and debated (with myself) doing an easy GA run instead, but in the end I compromised with the above variation/reduction. As I was making these decisions on the fly I aimed for a 4:30-4:50 range, which when I checked later was a bit generous - should have been 4:22-4:37/k or 7:18-7:26/mi. That's probably just as well though. Seemed to have the Phoenix Park to myself this afternoon, probably because everyone else checked the weather, which was windy and, towards the end, very wet.

4:48 4:31 4:56 4:44
    4:54 4:47 4:54 4:30

Delighted to get something resembling a session under the belt, even if it was a bit on the sedate side.

WTD: 33km (21 mi)
    MTD: 33 (21)
    YTD: 248 (154)

• Advertisement

Sat 6 Feb

Recovery 50 mins on the seafront. Leaden enough.

Sun 7 Feb

LSR 32.2 km @ 5:54 avg (20 mi @ 9:30)

Out and back to Howth summit for this one. Early start, and it was quite cold. I was in short sleeves and shorts and felt pretty underdressed compared to most of the other runners I came across. While it was nice to watch the sun come up over the bay, the homeward half of this journey, once down from the hills, was a terrible slog into a very stiff wind and I was cold and miserable for most of it. Passed Mrs Mc, Mrs KennyG and some more St. Annes's park runners, not to mention Gearoid from Berlin and a lad who trains with the club. This was as tough a 20-miler as I've ever done, and I was definitely burning body fat for the last part of it. Couldn't muster much of a pace into the wind so I just put the head down and plodded home. Good to have one done, though, the next time will be much easier! Decent enough mileage for the week, considering how it started.

WTD: 74 km (46 mi)
    MTD: 74 (46)
    YTD: 289 (179)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Sat 6 Feb

Recovery 50 mins on the seafront. Leaden enough.

Sun 7 Feb

LSR 32.2 km @ 5:54 avg (20 mi @ 9:30)

Out and back to Howth summit for this one. Early start, and it was quite cold. I was in short sleeves and shorts and felt pretty underdressed compared to most of the other runners I came across. While it was nice to watch the sun come up over the bay, the homeward half of this journey, once down from the hills, was a terrible slog into a very stiff wind and I was cold and miserable for most of it. Passed Mrs Mc, Mrs KennyG and some more St. Annes's park runners, not to mention Gearoid from Berlin and a lad who trains with the club. This was as tough a 20-miler as I've ever done, and I was definitely burning body fat for the last part of it. Couldn't muster much of a pace into the wind so I just put the head down and plodded home. Good to have one done, though, the next time will be much easier! Decent enough mileage for the week, considering how it started.

WTD: 74 km (46 mi)
    MTD: 74 (46)
    YTD: 289 (179)

Good to see the man flu gone Murph and you're back in action again. :)

Mon 8 Feb

Rest.

Tue 9 Feb

Recovery 75 mins.

10k recovery on the plan. Ran over to the club as usual. The marathon guys were supposed to be doing an easy run so though that might suit as I'd only be doing a few kms and heading home again. "Easy" got translated as MP and as most of them are 3-hour guys that was way too hot so I just trotted around the track for a few laps and headed home. Total 12.3 kms (7.6 mi).

Wed 10 Feb

MLR 22.5 km @ 5:28 (14 mi @ 8:48).

Tired legs for this - still feeling the effects of Sunday's epic battle into the wind. Headed out on my DCU-Castleknock loop, taking in Finglas, Blanchardstown, the Canal and the Tolka. As per the plan (and as FBOT has reminded me more than once), the idea is to start at MP+20% and finish at MP+10% which I managed to do. So a success, if not particularly enjoyable. :(

WTD: 35 km (22 mi)
    MTD: 108 (67)
    YTD: 324 (201)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Wed 10 Feb

MLR 22.5 km @ 5:28 (14 mi @ 8:48).

Those long mid week runs are damn tough, more so on the mind than the body. If you can can these done, you're well set.

Well done.

Thu 11 Feb

Pilates + Recovery 50 mins 8 km (5 mi)

Was a good boy and showed up for Pilates again. Found it a good deal easier than last week although it will take a while to be comfortable again. Fancied listening to a podcast so did the scheduled recovery run on the treadmill. Couple of extra kms in the bank from Tues night so just did 8.

Rest day tomorrow which I'm happy about. Heading to DL so more hills at weekend.

WTD: 43km (27 mi)
    MTD: 116 (72)
    YTD: 332 (206)

Fri 12 Feb

Rest.

Sat 13 Feb

Recovery 10.7 km (6.6 mi) inc. 6x100 strides.

Nearly halfway through the plan now. This week has been all recovery-paced, although that will change tomorrow with a MP run. Been feeling sluggish enough this week despite the stepback, which I suppose is natural enough having missed the whole week before last. This was another meh kind of run in Donegal around the local loop, livened up by some strides. I lost count and did an "extra" set just to be sure, which was just as well as otherwise I'd have been short.

WTD: 53km (33 mi)
    MTD: 127 (79)
    YTD: 342 (213)

Sun 14 Feb

Long Run 26k (16.2 mi) w/ 20k (12.4 mi) @ MP.

There isn't much flat stuff around our Donegal base but I probably would have picked out a better route for this if I'd done my homework a bit better. Wanted to get in some hills and there were plenty of options, but think I ended up picking the hilliest possible out and back 26k, although I didn't realise it until halfway through when I turned for home and felt I was moving vertically. MP range is 4:46-4:51 (7:40-7:48) depending on whether it's Jack Daniels or McMillan. Knew there would't be much point trying to hit an even pace so decided if I could hit 24:15 for each 5k I'd be doing well. The idea was to survive the uphill, steady on the flat (what flat?) and be aggressive on the downhill.

croagh-bogagh.jpg

Found this really tough going, only comfortable for the first few kms, where I probably hit the first climb a bit too hard and struggled for the rest of the run.

Km splits:
    4:50 5:06 4:48 4:52 4:19 (24:55)
    4:59 5:12 4:59 4:25 4:10 (23:45)
    5:45 5:49 4:43 4:36 4:26 (25:19) :eek:
    5:16 5:21 4:22 4:36 4:38 (24:13)
    (Avg: 4:55)

mi splits (approx):
    7:59 9:06 7:01
    8:07 8:06 6:50
    9:18 7:54 7:19
    8:25 7:27 7:31
    (Avg: 7:55)

So hardly a km or a mile within the actual target range, but that isn't surprising. I won't forget kms 11 and 12 for a long time. But in the end not too far off the lower end of the range on average which I reckon is pretty OK for the terrain. If I failed it was in not using gravity enough on the way down - felt myself holding back for some reason, possibly because I was trying to shorten my stride on these sections too. Still, not a bad way to end the first half of the plan.

WTD: 79 km (49 mi)
    MTD: 153 (95)
    YTD: 368 (229)

jeepers Murph, I'd count that as a success given the gradient, I know there are downhills but don't 'they' say you never gain as much on a downhill as you loose on the up? You don't mention effort but I'd imagine you exceeded MP effort if not pace? Kudos for taking that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Not 100% but looks like u where driving pretty hard up most of inclines, fair play think I'd only want to tackle them in a car:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

croagh-bogagh.jpg

Looks like fun! :D

Advertisement