Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'd have no problem travelling anywhere with Tube access, I do have my eyes on a Hostel with good reviews in Camden, might just bite the bullet on that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

We booked accommodation in Reading for the semi final weekend, was pretty cheap (Premier Inn). On the train line from Gatwick I think and easy to get to the stadium from.

Affordable accommodation will mean staying a bit outside London but transport links are pretty good from what I understand.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

NZ Vs Namibia and Ireland Vs Romania

Flying into Stansted the 24th, and flying out the 28th for 120 return.

Watford might be a good idea, Travelodge there is £192 (€268) for the four nights.

Stansted to Watford is about 2.5 hours, then to get to the Olympic stadium is 1.5 hours from that Travelodge, two overground trains so nice and simple getting there, little more complicated getting back from the game. If you have google maps, it is a saviour for those late night things, same amount of time but a few transfers.

Wembley is 40 mins on the overground, and 15 min walk to the stadium.

Might be worth finding one hotel for the NZ game, ibis in Barking is £59 for that night then moving. 40 mins from the Olympic stadium

Watford might be a good idea, Travelodge there is £192 (€268) for the four nights.

Stansted to Watford is about 2.5 hours, then to get to the Olympic stadium is 1.5 hours from that Travelodge, two overground trains so nice and simple getting there, little more complicated getting back from the game. If you have google maps, it is a saviour for those late night things, same amount of time but a few transfers.

Wembley is 40 mins on the overground, and 15 min walk to the stadium.

Might be worth finding one hotel for the NZ game, ibis in Barking is £59 for that night then moving. 40 mins from the Olympic stadium

Maybe I'm looking up the wrong stadium, but is the Olympic stadium accessible by the tube?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Easily. Stratford station is on the Jubilee and Central lines and has national rail, DLR and London Overground connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

adrian522 wrote: »
    We booked accommodation in Reading for the semi final weekend, was pretty cheap (Premier Inn). On the train line from Gatwick I think and easy to get to the stadium from.

Affordable accommodation will mean staying a bit outside London but transport links are pretty good from what I understand.

Yeah, you can get a direct train from Gatwick to Reading for about £20.

Tip for after the game in Twickenham, free shuttle bus runs to Richmond which would be quicker than walking back to Twickenham and queuing there - also you can have a look at the FanZone which is five mins away from the station in Old Deer Park

Excellent, I'm gonna go with Camden so, we want plenty of night life along with being close to Tube for both games, Google maps is telling me I can get there in about 40 mins to either from Camden, and the Hostel is about 300 for 2 for 4 nights.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, you can get a direct train from Gatwick to Reading for about £20.

Tip for after the game in Twickenham, free shuttle bus runs to Richmond which would be quicker than walking back to Twickenham and queuing there - also you can have a look at the FanZone which is five mins away from the station in Old Deer Park

Yeah, I like the idea of staying in the area for a while after rather than heading straight back....hopefully Ireland are involved anyway.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, I like the idea of staying in the area for a while after rather than heading straight back....hopefully Ireland are involved anyway.

Twickenham has had a few major changes already, media centre and hospitality suites gone in, started the spectator plaza, some of which will probably be seen this weekend.

I realised I'm actually on shift the night of the NZ game, don't finish until midnight and have to be at work for 7.30am the following morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck with any of the rugby clubs in Cardiff in terms of parking a campervan or getting a tent pitch for any of the matches? I saw dubal said (a couple of pages ago) that they are parking a campervan in Cardiff RFC. There are a few of us heading over for the Canada match.

I know that clubs allowed camping and campervans for the HECs that were in Cardiff over the years.

Not having much luck anywhere else with accommodation so exploring this option.

Anyone been talking to any of the clubs?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭dubal

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck with any of the rugby clubs in Cardiff in terms of parking a campervan or getting a tent pitch for any of the matches? I saw dubal said (a couple of pages ago) that they are parking a campervan in Cardiff RFC. There are a few of us heading over for the Canada match.

I know that clubs allowed camping and campervans for the HECs that were in Cardiff over the years.

Not having much luck anywhere else with accommodation so exploring this option.

Anyone been talking to any of the clubs?

Thanks in advance!

He the guy confirmed numbers with me, said he wouldn't be turning anyone away as long you don't mind a queue for the showers. Between £5 and £10 per person a night. I'll PM you his contact details.

Dubal

My tickets for France v Ireland arrived this morning via DHL. No email, no contact. I just happened to be at home.

Loving the match wallchart.

Got these ones in the initial lottery.

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

dubal wrote: »
    He the guy confirmed numbers with me, said he wouldn't be turning anyone away as long you don't mind a queue for the showers. Between £5 and £10 per person a night. I'll PM you his contact details.

Dubal
    Could you send them to me as well.

Could you send them to me as well.

Nothing personal here. so I can post this:

From Cardiff:

"We are opening the fields to camping and campervans.

Cost will be between 5 and 10 sterling per person for the night. Do you know how many of you there will be and when you are coming to Cardiff?

Since we put it out on the internet about the camping we have had loads of interest. But we have a lot of space and as long as you don’t minds potential queues for the showers we should be able to accommodate you. I am loathed to turn away anyone because I know you will struggle to get somewhere else.

The club is located in the north of Cardiff and is easily accessible from the M4 which is about 1 mile away. To get into town there are good local transport with Trains, Buses and Taxis. It’s only a couple of miles to the centre of town so you can even walk it!

If you have any questions fire me an email back on this email address and I will get back to you. It may take a while but I will get you a response.

"

They appear to have setup a separate email address:

rwc.cardiffquins@gmail.com

This is the club website too:

http://cardiffquinsrfc.mywru.co.uk/web/locations.aspx

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We booked our trip to the Italy game yesterday. Ended up going with a Killester charter for convenience's sake (€515 for two nights, flights & accommodation and all airport and match transfers) but there's still good value to be had for those who'd rather save a few bob and go it alone.

Ryanair flights to Luton (out Saturday, back Monday) were €110 return on Wednesday. Still plenty of accommodation availability on Lidl Breaks, we were looking at the Apollo in Paddington for €102 each for two nights. Or Hotel 65 in Earl's Court for €101.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Staying the Saturday Night in Swansea ahead of the France game in Cardiff, Sunday night is up in the air!! Does anyone know if Cardiff airport stays open all night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

otterj wrote: »
    Staying the Saturday Night in Swansea ahead of the France game in Cardiff, Sunday night is up in the air!! Does anyone know if Cardiff airport stays open all night ?

article-2269437-016ADBB30000044D-511_634x383.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

haha if I get with Catherine Zeta Jones Ill be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Lads, recommend a place to stay for the Romania match in Wembley? How would Blackfriars be for nightlife, etc. Seems accessible via train from Gatwick.
    Or suggest somewhere else either?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

Anyone else flying in and out of london. Thinking of doing the munster supports bus (shudders). More expensive but guessing will be able to have a beer or 2 and a bit of atmosphere on the way to the game

More expensive in what way?

• Advertisement

dedaw wrote: »
    Lads, recommend a place to stay for the Romania match in Wembley? How would Blackfriars be for nightlife, etc. Seems accessible via train from Gatwick.
    Or suggest somewhere else either?
    Not much directly around Blackfriars, but you are a 10 minute walk to the heart of tourist London (Covent Garden)...the area is very well connected for all parts of London.

What sort of nightlife are you after?

The issue with London is you can hop on a train/tube post game, go about 10 minutes,and won't know there was a game with 70k at it....the city is just so big it all gets lost

otterj wrote: »

Places in Cardiff generally stay open all night (late late bars) and chipper ally for food.

The train station and airport are closed/ cleared over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭millhousegirl

Has anyone been successful using the resale option on the official RWC website yet?

I'm going to resell 2 CAT B tickets for the Sunday Q final in Cardiff. They were delivered last week though. Is this an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Yes, I've resold quite a few tickets as I've picked up cheaper ones. It's very straightforward if you haven't received the tickets yet, they put the money back on your card within a week or two. If you already have the tickets they will email you once they are sold and you have to post them back to them before you get your money.

Edited to add that there are Cat Bs for the France game and all Cats for the Sunday QF up at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

shanagarry wrote: »
    Yes, I've resold quite a few tickets as I've picked up cheaper ones. It's very straightforward if you haven't received the tickets yet, they put the money back on your card within a week or two. If you already have the tickets they will email you once they are sold and you have to post them back to them before you get your money.

Edited to add that there are Cat Bs for the France game and all Cats for the Sunday QF up at the moment.

Wasn't sure what happened with reselling once the tickets had been physically delivered. Interesting.
    But of course we're bleeding money in the process of course via postage fees.
    Here's the bugbear for me though...I've resold tickets successfully before any have been delivered to me, but the £15 transaction/postage fee ain't refunded.
    (I know...it's in the terms and conditions that you agree to when you make your original purchase. Doesn't make it easier to swallow though.)

Another thought I've had...for games like the Canada and Romania ones, will it end up being the case that all seats behind the posts (CAT D) will be full, and huge portions of the stands empty?
    If so that will make for a strange sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Have 2 tickets for Canada match (19th Sept), Romania (27th Sept) and France (11th Oct) and have done nothing about logistics.

The only one you could in theory get over and back from in same day is the Canada match I guess, the other 2 are lateish kick offs. Any advice/pointers would be welcomed.

We're travelling from Dublin.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Have 2 tickets for Canada match (19th Sept), Romania (27th Sept) and France (11th Oct) and have done nothing about logistics.

The only one you could in theory get over and back from in same day is the Canada match I guess, the other 2 are lateish kick offs. Any advice/pointers would be welcomed.

We're travelling from Dublin.
    Ferry anyway for sure for the cardiff games. Then you'll be able to commute from wherever you end up staying in your car. Accommodation is a rarity in the cardiff area for those games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Only going to the one game, vs Romania in Wembley. Flying into London that morning then staying the night and heading back home following day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

kuang1 wrote: »
    Wasn't sure what happened with reselling once the tickets had been physically delivered. Interesting.
    But of course we're bleeding money in the process of course via postage fees.
    Here's the bugbear for me though...I've resold tickets successfully before any have been delivered to me, but the £15 transaction/postage fee ain't refunded.
    (I know...it's in the terms and conditions that you agree to when you make your original purchase. Doesn't make it easier to swallow though.)

I know, it is rather sickening, although I'm in the UK, so less for me and at least somewhat justified by ending up net positive because I've sold dearer tickets! But I would have liked the cheaper ones in the first place.

Advertisement