Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Looking Forward To It?
Yes 121 62.37%
No 38 19.59%
Windows is for PC not for phone! 21 10.82%
Whats Windows Phone 7? 14 7.22%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

15-11-2012, 11:31   #3211
evolutionqy7

I think there could be possibilites of more features. I think they did a slightly sneaky one and devoted all the resources to WP8, even execs at Microsoft admitted that they ran out of time with WP8 as they also wanted to add a notification centre. So I think they ran out of time to update WP7 handsets too. Its either stupid hope but Id expect to see maybe more updates after 7.8 maybe?

I mean if they decided that their going to forget about WP7 owners and give them a crappy update they would have said so. Instead their keeping quiet and working on what can actually be delivered.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-11-2012, 16:45   #3212
Digitalism

Anyone know of any apps similar to cabbage on the windows phone market that works with meteor? IM having trouble with SendU and Webtexter!
21-11-2012, 10:04   #3213
balkieb2002

Send a message via Yahoo to balkieb2002
I'm on the lookout for a Christmas present for my father (late 60's) and I know he would like a touchscreen phone but just trying to find a good quality and easy to use phone.

I'm just after noticing that the Nokia Lumia 800 is going for fairly cheap these days but I have no expierience with the Windows Phone OS having had iPhone or Android phones overs the years.

Whats the Windows Phone OS like as a user expierince compared to say iOS which I think is very user friendly (unlike imo an android)?
21-11-2012, 11:19   #3214
PaulieC

Send a message via MSN to PaulieC
Quote:
Originally Posted by balkieb2002 View Post
Whats the Windows Phone OS like as a user expierince compared to say iOS which I think is very user friendly (unlike imo an android)?
Very simple and user friendly. It's similar to iOS in the sense that it lets you do very little outside of the norm like Android does.
Thanks from:
21-11-2012, 12:36   #3215
balkieb2002

Send a message via Yahoo to balkieb2002
Reading up about it, I'm getting indifferent reports but the later updates (and the impending large update) seems to have sorted a lot of the issues out.

Whats the battery life like on the Lumia 800? People are saying it requires a daily charge while others are saying that the updates have improved it. I'd say it would be moderate to low use no games/streaming, just some wifi/data browsing and general phone use (calls/messaging).

Last edited by balkieb2002; 21-11-2012 at 12:50. Reason: Forgot to include phone name!
Advertisement
21-11-2012, 12:44   #3216
Alanstrainor

So, my lg optimus 7 has been mysteriously rebooting itself, and once it reboots it will just hang on the LG screen indefinitely. The only way that seemed to get it back, was to power it off, and leave it off over night/for a number of hours. After some investigation, I've finally realised that it's actually overheating, and dying as a result .

I've had it for a year and a half ish, and it owes me nothing at this stage, but damn it, it's a nice piece of kit, and for the first time in the last 10 years I feel I don't want to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do...but it's becoming a pain to live with at this stage, so the end is near.
21-11-2012, 13:54   #3217
PaulieC

Send a message via MSN to PaulieC
Quote:
Reading up about it, I'm getting indifferent reports but the later updates (and the impending large update) seems to have sorted a lot of the issues out.

Whats the battery life like on the Lumia 800? People are saying it requires a daily charge while others are saying that the updates have improved it. I'd say it would be moderate to low use no games/streaming, just some wifi/data browsing and general phone use (calls/messaging).
For the price, it's a hell of a bargain. I have the white one (now ony 149 in meteor on payg, I paid almost that about 6 months ago on an 18 month contract) and it really is a beautiful piece of kit, definitely nicer than any Android handset and easily the equal of the iphone in design terms (IMO). My usage would be pretty similar to what you describe and I usually have 1/3 - 1/2 battery left at the end of the day (all updates installed). I am looking forward to getting the 7.8 update so I can have a wee bit of W8 while waiting for the 920 to get to these shores
(2) thanks from:
21-11-2012, 14:33   #3218
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
So, my lg optimus 7 has been mysteriously rebooting itself, and once it reboots it will just hang on the LG screen indefinitely. The only way that seemed to get it back, was to power it off, and leave it off over night/for a number of hours. After some investigation, I've finally realised that it's actually overheating, and dying as a result .

I've had it for a year and a half ish, and it owes me nothing at this stage, but damn it, it's a nice piece of kit, and for the first time in the last 10 years I feel I don't want to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do...but it's becoming a pain to live with at this stage, so the end is near.
I'm riding my Optimus 7 for all its worth, mainly because I'm on the fence about WP8. It's had some hard knocks and still is hanging in there, we'll see how long it lasts I guess.
Thanks from:
21-11-2012, 16:20   #3219
Alanstrainor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I'm riding my Optimus 7 for all its worth, mainly because I'm on the fence about WP8. It's had some hard knocks and still is hanging in there, we'll see how long it lasts I guess.
Mine is a beast, I drop the yoke all the time. That may or may not have been the reason for it's current issue. But at least now I know what causes it to have a fit. If I could get another few months out of this one I'd be flying. Don't want to jump ship just as WP8 is out, want things to settle a bit (and for prices to drop) before making a decision on whether to stick with Windows or go to Android.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-11-2012, 17:51   #3220
gman2k

My optimus 7 owes me nothing either, and is more stable now than when I got it, I might give wp8 a look in 6 months time when the os has been ironed out and prices drop.
I can't see any worthwhile reason to drop a ball of money on WP 8 right now.
22-11-2012, 11:01   #3221
Do-more

Quote:
I'm on the lookout for a Christmas present for my father (late 60's) and I know he would like a touchscreen phone but just trying to find a good quality and easy to use phone.

I'm just after noticing that the Nokia Lumia 800 is going for fairly cheap these days but I have no expierience with the Windows Phone OS having had iPhone or Android phones overs the years.

I have an LG Optimus 7 and it was my first smartphone. I found it very easy to get used to and much more so than trying to figure out the ins and outs of Android 4.0 on my son's tablet.

I bought the wife a Nokia 710 a while back as her first smartphone and she picked it up very quickly as well.

The only negative I have with WP7 is the tiny font size used for contacts phone numbers. In general use it's not a problem but if I need to read the number to use it say on a land line I find it nearly impossible. My eyesight isn't that bad I only have very mild reading glasses so if your father is short sighted it might be an issue to look out for but in the general scheme of things it's a small one for what is otherwise a very easy to use OS.
28-11-2012, 21:24   #3222
gman2k

Word that the 7.8 update will be out in early 2013
http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-pho...medium=twitter
Thanks from:
11-01-2013, 14:54   #3223
luketitz

I like the look of the Lumia 920, which appears to trump competitors in some (if not many) aspects.. wonder how much it'll retail here for?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17982961.cms
11-01-2013, 15:08   #3224
Foxhole Norman

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketitz View Post
I like the look of the Lumia 920, which appears to trump competitors in some (if not many) aspects.. wonder how much it'll retail here for?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17982961.cms
I believe its ~620. At that price I can't see much adopting it over say a Note 2 or S3.

Edit: Expansys has it listed for 720!
Thanks from:
11-01-2013, 15:24   #3225
luketitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhole Norman View Post
I believe its ~620. At that price I can't see much adopting it over say a Note 2 or S3.

Edit: Expansys has it listed for 720!
Thanks, jeez you're right, they really are pricing themselves out of a recovery. Shame.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion