Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Earlier in this thread I mentioned about trying to save my contacts. Unfortunately none of the apps in the marketplace seemed to do anything. They either crashed or never seemed to do anything. Long story short I ended up doing a factory reset on my phone which wiped everything off the phone, contacts included.

So, to avoid that happening again, I'd like to know how the rest of you are saving your contacts. Supposedly I can synch with my Live.com account but from an initial poke around the only content that I can set to be synchronised is e-mail. I get to this config screen via People->Settings->Windows Live account->Windows Live Settings. There doesn't seem to be anything about contacts here. Am I missing something fundamental?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Never mind, on closer inspection of the previous page stevenmu had the answer. The bit in bold below is the key:
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Another way is by going to your people hub, clicking the ... at the bottom and going to settings, then scroll to the bottom and again press and hold on Windows Live to bring up the sync option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Malice wrote: »
    Never mind, on closer inspection of the previous page stevenmu had the answer. The bit in bold below is the key:

Well you usually don't have to do that as long as the sync is on. You just had it off therefore you lost your stuff unfortunately :)

Spotted some new Windows Phones on eMobile website :)

appolo.png
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Spotted some new Windows Phones on eMobile website :)

appolo.png
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Noticed that myself yesterday and had a chuckle. I'm with eMobile myself and when I bought an Omnia 7 last year they had a similar thing in the little handbook in the store. I pointed this out to the girl in a nice way (she's a friend of mine).
    I just thought to myself that the platform isn't going to have a chance if mistakes like this can get through!! I always have the impression that the guys selling don't know WP and tend to go with the other two bigger OS's more because they have them phones themselves and know them better.

• Advertisement

obriea3 wrote: »
    Noticed that myself yesterday and had a chuckle. I'm with eMobile myself and when I bought an Omnia 7 last year they had a similar thing in the little handbook in the store. I pointed this out to the girl in a nice way (she's a friend of mine).
    I just thought to myself that the platform isn't going to have a chance if mistakes like this can get through!! I always have the impression that the guys selling don't know WP and tend to go with the other two bigger OS's more because they have them phones themselves and know them better.

Marketing and Art design departments usually don't have a clue, just as majority of the phone shop staff. There usually will be one person per store that's actually interested in tech and the rest will be just meh.

I've brought this up many times. Sales staff haven't a clue about the product cause they don't care so they obviously try to ignore that product, in the end consumers are the ones that get hurt cause their not getting the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'm on Vodafone and can't sent picture messages on my Lumia 610 - it just instantly says 'cannot send', gives no reason etc. Any ideas?

I'm on Vodafone and can't sent picture messages on my Lumia 610 - it just instantly says 'cannot send', gives no reason etc. Any ideas?

Data on?
    Correct Settings?
    MMS provisioning set up by network?
    Have 3G coverage?

Data on?
    Correct Settings?
    MMS provisioning set up by network?
    Have 3G coverage?

Yes (WiFi is OK for this, isn't it?)
    Which ones?
    Worked on my old phone, so I expect so
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Switch mobile network on.

My 800 hasn't sent or received mms since I bought it. o2 have had it twice and can't figure it out :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Which ones?
    Yes
    No, MMS has to be sent/recieced over mobile data, wifi won't work for it.

If you still can't get it to work try installing the network settings app from the marketplace and use that to setup your connections.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Which ones?
    Yes
    No, MMS has to be sent/recieced over mobile data, wifi won't work for it.

If you still can't get it to work try installing the network settings app from the marketplace and use that to setup your connections.
    it was indeed network data. Schoolboy error. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

AngryLips wrote: »

Seems OK. TBH, I'm not blown away by WP8, not sure what the advantage over an iPhone is other than the cleaner interface.

Seems OK. TBH, I'm not blown away by WP8, not sure what the advantage over an iPhone is other than the cleaner interface.

Its not as restrictive as iOS and not as buggy as Android. Its in between both.

You can personalise WP8 a lot more than you can on iOS. I just personally find the UI on iPhone to be extremely boring.

Also I like to be different :) Hate having the same phone as everyone else :pac::pac:

For me its always been the UI mainly, Facebook and Twitter integration too is important too. Don't have to be jumping through several apps to check my feeds.

It's a good idea, but I still have the sense of getting an incomplete picture of what's going on on FB and Twitter. I tend to miss stuff unless I go straight in through the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Thats not a leaked document, some one just made an excel sheet of whats already known. Notice how no new apps are listed just apps that are currently avaliable and there's no mention of Skype or about 100 other feature's. Do people really believe that thats a list Nokia are working on??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I feel like I'm connected to the internet on WP in a way that I never did with iOS. Also the UI is in a different league as well. If they pull off all the most commonly used features of Android and iOS with WP8 then these two selling points alone will be enough to bait me.

I feel like I'm connected to the internet on WP in a way that I never did with iOS. Also the UI is in a different league as well. If they pull off all the most commonly used features of Android and iOS with WP8 then these two selling points alone will be enough to bait me.
    my notifications hub doesn't update in the background, which i think sort of defeats its purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

my notifications hub doesn't update in the background, which i think sort of defeats its purpose

on WP7? Should do if data is enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blarney_army

Microsoft Announce Windows Phone Event for Sept. 5 bit.ly/PlMEZS

It should work when data is on. From my experience its not push notifications but id definitely works.

When I go into it, it starts updating, even if data has been on already. Takes long enough too. the updates should already be loaded in the background, IMO.

When I go into it, it starts updating, even if data has been on already. Takes long enough too. the updates should already be loaded in the background, IMO.

Well yeah but then again it would drain your battery quicker. I presume there's also a certain amount of requests they can send within a certain time frame.

With the new update for Navigon it seems seems like it brought in an add on. They want 20 euro's to keep the maps up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Is anyone else really disappointed with the Lumia 800 battery life?

I've had mine since January and have always been good to meh on battery life, lately it's shocking.

My alarm went off at 06:10, I woke up, unplugged my phone from the charger and then went to work.
    It's now 08:18, just over two hours and it's already down to 56%, this is with just listening to Audible on the bus and checking tweets/emails etc.

I cab remember having a similar problem with my Omnia 7 and Titan, (Radar not so much, that had excellent battery life) and I can't be the only one?

I know people will say location and WiFi etc but I turn WiFi off when not at home and if the phone can't handle some foursquare/maps without dying then that's a bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

56% doesn't sound right for a couple hours of light use. I'd go out for an hour run and listen to music the whole time and it only uses about 4% max. Are you sure your phone was at 100% when you unpluged it from the charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Undead wrote: »
    Is anyone else really disappointed with the Lumia 800 battery life?

I've had mine since January and have always been good to meh on battery life, lately it's shocking.

My alarm went off at 06:10, I woke up, unplugged my phone from the charger and then went to work.
    It's now 08:18, just over two hours and it's already down to 56%, this is with just listening to Audible on the bus and checking tweets/emails etc.

I cab remember having a similar problem with my Omnia 7 and Titan, (Radar not so much, that had excellent battery life) and I can't be the only one?

I know people will say location and WiFi etc but I turn WiFi off when not at home and if the phone can't handle some foursquare/maps without dying then that's a bigger problem.

I had a similar problem, and think I had it figured out.

If you go the Background Tasks section of the Settings, you'll see the ones you can disable. However, there is also a section for apps you cant turn off. Go there. My list was massive.

Even if you have Wifi, 3G, and Location turned off, these apps are running, attempting to connect, failing, and trying again.

If you go into the apps individually, most of them will let you turn them off. Some wont (Irish Times, I'm looking at you), so you'll have to decide if they're worth keeping installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

AntiVirus wrote: »
    56% doesn't sound right for a couple hours of light use. I'd go out for an hour run and listen to music the whole time and it only uses about 4% max. Are you sure your phone was at 100% when you unpluged it from the charger?

Yeah I went to sleep at around 11pm and left it plugged in overnight so it was definitely 100% in the morning, it's becoming a real pain.
    DjFlin wrote: »
    I had a similar problem, and think I had it figured out.

If you go the Background Tasks section of the Settings, you'll see the ones you can disable. However, there is also a section for apps you cant turn off. Go there. My list was massive.

Even if you have Wifi, 3G, and Location turned off, these apps are running, attempting to connect, failing, and trying again.

If you go into the apps individually, most of them will let you turn them off. Some wont (Irish Times, I'm looking at you), so you'll have to decide if they're worth keeping installed.

That's a good thought, I was thinking that myself - that the background apps unable to turn off could be doing a number on the battery. I deleted a few that I never use and today it was a small bit better... sure at this stage we're so close to WP8 that I'm not too bothered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Has anyone tried to print photos from a wp7 phone?
    Just wondering will the phone connect to the kodak machines in Boots/Harvey normans and print from them... Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement