Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

eire4 wrote: »
    Ahh I see because I have a different view to you I am wrong.

No problem having a difference of opinion, however you claimed there was no evidence and there clearly is.
    I do not claim to have omniscient powers when it comes to the US. But nonetheless I can see that roughly half of Americans do not vote when you take the presidential and mid terms elections together. So clearly a vast swathe of Americans have given up on the system. I can also see that their system is utterly corrupted and dysfunctional with DC largely bought and paid for and that neither party has any interest in legislating for the best economic interests of the vast majority of Americans.

Or that in most of the US their votes 'don't matter' due to being so red/blue/pure gerrymandering at a state level or that they are actively stopped from voting.
    You mention the independent senator Bernie Sanders who ran in the last 2 presidential elections as a Democrat and did not win. Absolutely true. Although it does not prove anything about my point which is a contention that until the Democratic party stops being a corporate controlled party and returns to being an FDR style party they will continue to be what they are a corporate controlled party that legislates mostly in the wealthy's best interests and American will continue to decline overall as a country because given their system is so corrupt the alternative is a Republican party that at this point IMHO is only semi democratic party and is utterly bought and paid for by a very small group at the very top of the economic ladder.

Your last point is pure speculation. We will never know as he did nor run as the Democratic candidate with the parties full support in a general election. Personally I think he would have won in 2016 if he would of run with the full support of the Democratic party but that is pure speculation on my part also. We will never know.

A person ran on your principles, using a lot of your lines, and failed to get enough interest from the party of the left to win their nomination. You can keep blaming others but there is no evidence of your opinion having any basis in the real world.

I think his run in 2020 proved Bernie's appeal in the primaries in 2016 were a mirage. 4 years to build on his efforts and he did drastically worse.
    As for your implication that you know what the US is and I do not well. Well I cannot agree with your omniscience about what the US is. We know that the US has roughly half it's population not vote so we cannot say with a certain knowledge how the US would look politically and economically if most of that half of the population did vote. What we can say with certainty is that the system is corrupted by money and dysfunctional to the point IMHO it is at best an oligarchy not a democracy.

But again, your opinion of what those voters will do is all in your head. Bernie talked on and on about this group and they never showed up or if they did they didn't support him.

There are a sizeable group of Americans that disagree with the principles of the left.
    My contention is that the Democrats should legislate in the best economic interests of the vast majority of Americans. They might lose in the short term but if they kept doing the right things I believe they would win in the long term. Republicans have played a long game to get to where they are and leave America in the sorry state it is. Democrats returning to an FDR style party might have to be a strategy that takes a while to come to full fruition as well. But aside from being the right thing to do it is also a good plan IMHO. Your focus seems to be laser beam on winning elections right now regardless of the consequences. That short term myopia has been what has lead the Democrats to where they are at and while they will and have won elections to an extent they have struggled fundamentally because all they really offer is that they are the lesser evil so any short term wins in the past have not translated long term because all along Republicans have played a long game and further corrupted the system in ways to maintain power as the corporate Democrats myopic thinking seems them unable to beat the Republicans at their own game in any fundamental way.

I'm sorry but you're the one that is being incredibly myopic and borderline childish in your approach.

Firstly, you can't 'legislate' without power. What it sounds like you want is what the left is in Ireland and the UK, shouting from the sidelines. You aren't doing anything to actually improve the lives of people but at least you're 'pure'. It is an incredibly selfish approach.

Secondly, losing elections in the hopes of winning in the future is beyond wishful thinking when the person in power gets to set the rules. Between gerrymandering and the power to decide election rules it becomes harder and harder. Look at how certain states lessening the number of polling locations in minority areas or making it more difficult/complicated to vote by mail.

Thirdly, with packing the courts it makes it harder and harder to enact legislation when you get into power. The new conservative majority in the supreme court can block everything from voters rights to gun control to healthcare reform. The more you lose the harder things get at every level of the court.

Fourthly, for you it might be a case that you have the privilege to play a 'long game' but for many 4 more years of Trump is the difference between life and death

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Overheal wrote: »

For the same reason he brought in the Project Veritas thing while putting on the "Not sure if this is true but if it is... wow" act. It's obvious what he's at.

gmisk wrote: »
    This is nonsense...
    Typical Trumpian tactics throw enough crap at the wall and hope some of it sticks...predictable at this stage

One place it does stick is Facebook

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1311008457894629376?s=20

FFS...absolute rubbish

He knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

what time does this debate happen ?

might find a link for this

If I recall they tend to be live on youtube, but it's not until 2am so I highly doubt I'll be up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

For the same reason he brought in the Project Veritas thing while putting on the "Not sure if this is true but if it is... wow" act. It's obvious what he's at.

Very unfair, I put the Veritas stuff there and was very specific in saying they were allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Foxtrol wrote: »

More confirmation of the poison that is Facebook.

Very unfair, I put the Veritas stuff there and was very specific in saying they were allegations.

Just asking questions, I suppose?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

If I recall they tend to be live on youtube, but it's not until 2am so I highly doubt I'll be up for it.

I am looking forward to this, and will expect it to be car crash tv

• Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

no, it is all very fair. throw out enough **** and hope that some of it sticks. when you get pushed back on one piece of nonsense just move on to the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Biden's hypocrisy. Joe and Jill Biden created two corporations so they can pay themselves so they could avoid having to pay payroll taxes collected to fund Social Security and Medicare..The name of the S-Corporations are CelticCapri and Giacoppa.
    “According to the Urban Institute, a couple featuring one high earner and one average earner, retiring this year, will have paid a total of $209,000 in Medicare taxes during their working lives,” Jacobs wrote. “The Bidens avoided paying nearly twice that much in Medicare taxes for two years. The maximum payroll tax affected by Mr. Trump’s suspension is $1,984—less than 1/250th of the amount the Bidens avoided in 2017-18. The Bidens didn’t avoid any Social Security tax, which applied only to the first $127,200 of income in 2017 and $128,400 in 2018. But they would under Mr. Biden’s tax plan, which would impose the 12.4% Social Security tax on income over $400,000; the same loophole he used in 2017-18 would shield him from his own tax. And how can Mr. Biden claim to protect Medicare and ObamaCare when he avoided more than $500,000 in taxes that fund the two programs? The media have largely ignored the Bidens’ accounting legerdemain, fixating on Mr. Trump’s tax returns instead. But at least the president isn’t looking to raise taxes on everyone else.”

The Wall Street Journal

The Intercept’s Ryan Grim in 2019;
    “The Bidens have used their home state’s financial privacy laws to shield his income from public view, by setting up two tax- and transparency-avoidance vehicles known as S corporations,” Grim wrote. “He and his wife Jill Biden called them CelticCapri Corp. and Giacoppa Corp., respectively, and, according to the Wall Street Journal, have reported more than $13 million in profits the previous two years that weren’t subject to specific disclosure or self-employment taxes. As CNBC has described, money Biden made from book deals and speeches flowed into the S corporations and was then remitted to Biden and his wife as ‘distributions’ rather than salary. When money is funneled through an S corporation, the recipient doesn’t owe Social Security or Medicare taxes on it, nor can the source of revenue be traced. (In addition to the distributions, the Bidens drew relatively small salaries from the S Corporations: under half a million dollars, for which they owed self-employment taxes.)”

Source

Article by Ryan Ellis in The Washington Examiner goes in the great detail but:
    To be equally clear, Joe Biden is a hypocrite for using S-corporations in this way for at least four reasons. This is, after all, a man who said that paying more in taxes was a “patriotic act.”

The Washington Examiner

God only knows what else he's been up to in his 36 years in the senate and 8 years as vice president.

In fairness, you've posted stuff from plenty of not credible sources in the past. It's a lack of critical thinking if you're not willing to have a look at the track of your sources...

One needs to be very careful with their words

Only if they are spreading bullsh1t

Biden's hypocrisy. Joe and Jill Biden created two corporations so they can pay themselves so they could avoid having to pay payroll taxes collected to fund Social Security and Medicare..The name of the S-Corporations are CelticCapri and Giacoppa.

The Wall Street Journal

The Intercept’s Ryan Grim in 2019;

Source

Article by Ryan Ellis in The Washington Examiner goes in the great detail but:

The Washington Examiner

God only knows what else he's been up to in his 36 years in the senate and 8 years as vice president.

So, are you now saying that reducing one's tax liability legally is wrong? I'm finding it hard to keep up with your positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are you joking with those as sources?!
    The absolute state of both those websites.. laughable

Jeffrey lord is a serious trump fan... ridiculously biased.
    The gateway pundit is a far right website....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Doesnt fit your agenda then;)

Neither of those are sources. I read them for the craic and they don't say where the information except for the first link which says that Fox reported it.

I'm looking for the source - the place where the claim was first made. It's not hard. It's been posted here already.

Biden refusing drug test.... check

Biden refusing ear piece examination....check

Biden wanting toilet break every 30 minutes....check

Not a good look for old Joe.

Jeffrey lord is a serious trump fan... ridiculously biased.
    The gateway pundit is a far right website....

That and they aren't even sources - they're just blogs repeating the claim. They might as well be someone's facebook account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

All of the above completely made up....check
    Your embarrassing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I find it deeply deeply ironic that Trump fans love to declare fake news, but so happily continue to spread it when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Gob****es believing everything they see on Facebook...check

Falling for and repeating nonsense isn't a good look for anyone.

The fact that Biden has requested a break every 30 min during the debate tonight is all you need to know. Throw out policies and parties..... unfit is unfit!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The fact that Biden has requested a break every 30 min during the debate tonight is all you need to know. Throw out policies and parties..... unfit is unfit!

Except he didn't though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Gob****es believing everything they see on Facebook...check

But they don’t believe it they are just making noise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

He didn't though. Why must you peddle lies?

Biden has actual faults, but the fact you insist on pushing outright lies is just pitiful. It's quite pathetic.

Not good look for Trump...

https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/1311046253996847104?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Cody montana

"JUST IN: Joe Biden refuses to take a pregnancy test prior to tonight's debate. The question remains: What is he hiding?

Developing."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement