Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People looted her store and you said you hope the white people are caught?

We do not know who looted the store why the racism?

It’s not right, is it.

That’s what I see when people blame blacks for looting when I clearly can see whites doing as much if not more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

cdeb wrote: »
    No - that's not what the problem is.

You're again looking to frame this as a race issue, and I don't think you can here.

This seems to be a poverty issue, not a race issue. There are fewer poor white people than poor black people - which isn't racism, though it is a societal issue - but they commit crimes too.

There are more poor whites than blacks.
    The NCCP fact sheet shows that among America’s poor children, 4.2 million are white, 4 million are Latino, 3.6 million are African American, 400,000 are Asian, and 200,000 are American Indian.

http://www.nccp.org/media/releases/release_34.html

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

• Registered Users Posts: 30,911 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Yes, yes. Racist whitey is making the poor blacks commit so much murder, rape and violent assault.

It definitely couldn’t be the horrible street culture glorifying these ****ty things contributing to the stats.

Similar crime stats are repeated in London and elsewhere in the West.

It’s a cultural problem. But much easier to blame it all on racist whitey.

No need to be facetious - instead, just keep going on that train of thought, and at each stage, ask yourself "why".

Within ours and our parents lifetimes they were literally second class citizens. Not allowed into the same schools, onto the same sports teams, to live in the same neighbourhoods, or even use the same bathrooms. That's recent. Like, really recent as far as human behavior goes. Do you think those mindsets, that sense of looking down on someone and feeling in your bones that they are beneath you, goes away so quickly for everyone? Particularly when so much of the country doesn't work terribly hard on actively trying to change those views?

I mean, just look how many generations the staunch puritanical religious views have hung around for in the US - ideologies change very very very slowly.

• Advertisement

100's of cops have been caught red handed on tape during all these protests, and they'll all be fired. Some of what is caught on tape is worth prison time.

And looters etc showing their faces as well who will be caught up to eventually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    There are more poor whites than blacks.

http://www.nccp.org/media/releases/release_34.html
    Well, not remotely as a percentage, but I didn't think it'd be the case in absolute terms either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

cdeb wrote: »
    Well without saying which societal issues, your post is a bit ambiguous.

I mean, I agree that the larger societal issues are to blame - but then I'm saying it's not racist and you're saying it is, which I don't agree with.

So I guess we're back to square one after all that. :) Seems a good time to log off.

Seems like a well earned stalemate. The win was never there. (as much as I've tried from your position before)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Overheal wrote: »
    It’s not right, is it.

That’s what I see when people blame blacks for looting when I clearly can see whites doing as much if not more of it.

Do you see that or believe it to be the case?

What does it matter anyway? Black white or purple and green, if you loot you're a criminal. It has nothing to do with peaceful protest, am I right?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Sarcozies wrote: »
    I disagree, poverty has a statistically significant relationship with crime. You reduce poverty, you will reduce crime.....to a degree. People only look at things through a single lens. Life is far more complicated and nuanced for that.

I commend the people out there peacefully protesting this man's unjust killing.

I'd add one word to this: relative.
    Poverty to an extent but relative poverty causes crime to a much greater extent; the observed disparity in standards of living in a given society etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

I don’t think they’re on their side anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

And looters etc showing their faces as well who will be caught up to eventually.

Looters faces caught on camera :p

https://twitter.com/ZKalium/status/1267653710265581568

BoroMan32 wrote: »

Yeah that’s dumb but also these are the white rich kids Danzy is harping on about: they’re not affected until it hits their glass. They were minding their own, playing beer pong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

100's of cops have been caught red handed on tape during all these protests, and they'll all be fired. Some of what is caught on tape is worth prison time.

But will they get prison time? The same was said of the 4 cops in the Rodney King case but all were acquitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

People pulled me up here before for using the term Libtard but the guy in that video is a classic example.

I mean we could all see that coming.:D

One funny incident in a very nasty crisis.:mad:

nullzero wrote: »
    Do you see that or believe it to be the case?

What does it matter anyway? Black white or purple and green, if you loot you're a criminal. It has nothing to do with peaceful protest, am I right?

Absolutely 100%.

Condemn looters don’t blame peaceful protestors or the entire movement for their crimes.

Absolutely 100%.

Condemn looters don’t blame peaceful protestors or the entire movement for their crimes.

But like, peaceful protesters should be gone home by 7 or 8 o clock..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

nj27 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm some kind of racist, but I'm used to a discussion regarding the basis of most major social issues. I'm used to a bit of a back and forth about the statistics behind the issues which people riot over. This entire step, the step which defines a decent society, seems to have been forgotten. It's legitimately weird for somebody who does come down on either side of a lot of the issues which seem to be at play here. The debate doesn't seem to have taken place. I read statistics which undermine every aspect of the issue at hand, but they don't appear to ever be addressed. I feel like I am entering a debate about crop circles, but people's livelihoods are being destroyed instead of vague interest in a matter of questionable veracity. For the first time ever in political matters, I'm leaving. I'm shutting it out. This is the maddest thing I have ever seen, and it doesn't even appear to have a logical element. I genuinely fear for the future of western society, and I'd really love to know where I could **** off to in order to get away from this ****.

I'm not sure about your first line but the fact that you chose to be concerned more about the bold than the people dying or having their lives ruined by police says a lot about your priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

This woeful, cringeworthy, N. Korea style PR video is the embodiment of fake news.
    A malignant narcissist at work.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1267676026391404544

Thankfully satirised in the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

nullzero wrote: »
    Smashy Smashy.

They have great aim you have to give them that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

On their side? What dumbasses, even after they confirm TWICE that they were not peaceful protesters, that they were out to damage other peoples property he still yells

'' I'm on your side''

NO ONE IS ON THERE SIDE, NOT TRUMP, NOT BIDEN, NOT THE FLOYD FAMILY

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's the baseball training.

Plenty of repetitive arm movement went into training that arm in his mom's basement...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FatherTed wrote: »

Woww

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm not sure about your first line but the fact that you chose to be concerned more about the bold than the people dying or having their lives ruined by police says a lot about your priorities.

People are having their lives ruined right now? I am a small business owner, if my premises were destroyed I'd be basically destroyed for life, as would my kids. And this is due to a matter which appears to be statistically questionable at the very least? But if I say that I'm racist? Sorry, I know bull**** when I hear it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement