Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It was 6:30pm, there were no riots going on at that time in DC or anywhere else that I could see.

By that logic you can justify Bloody Sunday, it really horrible

Not trying to justify it really don't get me wrong.

People have seen how over the top the police are over there I am just saying going out to protest now it not the smartest move.

6th police officer shot. This time in Las Vegas. Critically injured

This does not seem to be getting very much attention or condemnation in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

US Race demographics (2010-2015 approx, wikipedia)

73% White (17.3% are Hispanic)

12.6% Black

5.2% Asian

From the FBI's 2011 statistics (% of offenders by race)

Murder/Negligent Murder

48% White

49.7% Black

1% Asian

Forcible Rape:

65% White

32.9% Black

0.9% Asian

Robbery:

43% White

55.6% Black

0.7% Asian

Aggravated Assault:

63.9% White

33.6% Black

1% Asian

I couldn't find native American and Indian American stats but if they're not there we can assume they are pretty negligible. Are Asians and Indians that much better treated in America and suffer that much fewer incidents of racism than black people to account for these numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Those crime stats are incredible. I don’t care what anyone says. Being poor doesn’t cause you to rape, assault or murder people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Not trying to justify it really don't get me wrong.

People have seen how over the top the police are over there I am just saying going out to protest now it not the smartest move.

I'm not saying you are, but the logic you are using there leads that way.

Saying people showing up on Bloody Sunday was 'not the smartest move' would be seen as victim blaming by many.

In the lead up to both last night and Bloody Sunday there were disturbances however the key difference for Bloody Sunday marches were banned while the protest last night was completely legal.

It is a sad place when victim blaming people who are peacefully protesting rather than pointing fingers at the police overreaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

???

So is Kanye West..

And he received and still is receiving abuse for the black community. Also, they use mental illness as a weapon against the lad, which I find abhorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Those crime stats are incredible. I don’t care what anyone says. Being poor doesn’t cause you to rape, assault or murder people.

I'd guess the stats would be worse for Ireland, especially when you take into account the high-life living of people on benefits in Ireland compared to the US.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm not saying you are, but the logic you are using there leads that way.

Saying people showing up on Bloody Sunday was 'not the smartest move' would be seen as victim blaming by many.

In the lead up to both last night and Bloody Sunday there were disturbances however the key difference for Bloody Sunday marches were banned while the protest last night was completely legal.

It is a sad place when victim blaming people who are peacefully protesting rather than pointing fingers at the police overreaction.

Not victim blaming the police attacking innocent people are 100% to blame.

However knowing what we all know putting yourself in there firing line is not a smart move.
    By rights peaceful protesters should be safe but we all know that is not how the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,919 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

cdeb wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see how that could be a factor alright - but to me, that's not near enough to classify this as a race issue. In fact, doing so just takes away from the real issues and ensures nothing gets sorted

It would be difficult for me to paint the full picture at any length here. I guess you have to live it. I’ve watched police brutality all my life and it tends to have common undertones.

This does not seem to be getting very much attention or condemnation in the media.

You just heard about it! And it probably just happened. Not a little premature to condemn the Press?

• Advertisement

I would love to see the stats for burglary here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

6th police officer shot. This time in Las Vegas. Critically injured

This whole situation is a mess. Nobody wins here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,121 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cdeb wrote: »
    I don't really agree with the idea of stop and frisk - sounds a little bit too much like internment without trial - but if police were stopping people based roughly on the crime rates, then that's not racist. That's the police putting more priority on patrolling high crime areas, which is reasonable.

You're into a catch 22 there though - if you're actively to pursue crime specifically amongst one certain demographic, you're going to prosecute more crime against that demographic. if you spend 90% of your time stopping and harassing people with red hair wearing blue shirts, you're going to have a much higher crime stat for people with red hair and blue shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's what we think, what most of the working class think.

Those born in to plusher surrounds tend to disagree, especially if they are activists.

People have no free will it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Overheal wrote: »
    You just heard about it! And it probably just happened. Not a little premature to condemn the Press?

It didnt just happen, I posted about it last night. Shot in the back of the head at point blank range. Outside of our local news, havent seen mention of it.

The suspect is in custody- 20 years old, just a kid. Thats 2 lives ruined, for what?

Skin color contributes heavily to who is policed and persecuted for equal crimes.

Blacks do not do equal times as whites for equal crimes.

Brock Turner is a free man today because the Judge didn’t want to ruin his potential. Thousands of blacks are in prison longer than that for minor drug possession.

Something isn’t right there.

And he received and still is receiving abuse for the black community. Also, they use mental illness as a weapon against the lad, which I find abhorrent.

The other side of that coin is “white guilt”

nullzero wrote: »
    This whole situation is a mess. Nobody wins here.

Covid 19 job losses riots murders burning businesses down life in the United States is about to become a whole lot harder for everyone and people in poor black areas will be among those that feel it the hardest.

The media should be condemning these riots and doing their best to calm things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

I honestly thought the election of Barack Obama as President back in 2009 mean that black people were finally the equal of their fellow Americans. This horrible case proves otherwise. Trump's response is to crack down on the protestors. Oh Donald how low the office of Presidency has sunk with you in the seat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    You're into a catch 22 there though - if you're actively to pursue crime specifically amongst one certain demographic, you're going to prosecute more crime against that demographic. if you spend 90% of your time stopping and harassing people with red hair wearing blue shirts, you're going to have a much higher crime stat for people with red hair and blue shirts.
    There will be a little bit of it, I'm sure - but is it quantifiable? Is it material? If not, then the stats as they are are still broadly relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,121 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Indeed - so perhaps there is something more? Some extra systemic oppression that occurs perhaps to poor black people as opposed to poor white people?

This is exactly what the problem is.

When numbers are that skewed, there has to be an underlying cause. Unless you are trying to argue that black people are inherently born evil? Because unless that's what you're saying, then there has to be something bigger going on within the country to young black men. And that is why there are mass protests across the country.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It didnt just happen, I posted about it last night. Shot in the back of the head at point blank range. Outside of our local news, havent seen mention of it.

That’s fair. I haven’t seen it either in live feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

I disagree, poverty has a statistically significant relationship with crime. You reduce poverty, you will reduce crime.....to a degree. People only look at things through a single lens. Life is far more complicated and nuanced for that.

I commend the people out there peacefully protesting this man's unjust killing.

Danzy wrote: »
    That's what we think, what most of the working class think.

Those born in to plusher surrounds tend to disagree, especially if they are activists.

People have no free will it seems.

Great post.

Covid 19 job losses riots murders burning businesses down life in the United States is about to become a whole lot harder for everyone and people in poor black areas will be among those that feel it the hardest.

The media should be condemning these riots and doing their best to calm things down.

Condemning the protests would backfire. They are already condemning rioting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Indeed - so perhaps there is something more? Some extra oppression that occurs perhaps to poor black people as opposed to poor white people?

This is literally exactly what the problem is.
    No - that's not what the problem is.

You're again looking to frame this as a race issue, and I don't think you can here.

This seems to be a poverty issue, not a race issue. There are fewer poor white people than poor black people - which isn't racism, though it is a societal issue - but they commit crimes too.

batman75 wrote: »
    I honestly thought the election of Barack Obama as President back in 2009 mean that black people were finally the equal of their fellow Americans. This horrible case proves otherwise. Trump's response is to crack down on the protestors. Oh Donald how low the office of Presidency has sunk with you in the seat.

I think a lot of people felt that way. Millions wept that night, with relief. The right proceeded to suggest we had just ushered in a post race society (we didn’t) and they later blamed obama for being the reason race relations deteriorated. I disagree. What happened is Obama pushed for police accountability, especially body cameras. What resulted is we began seeing what’s been happening in policing all along, and I think most people mistakingly attributed that to something progressives made happen - they made race relations worse, rather than shining light on how bad race relations had really still been, particularly in law enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A woman who is part owner of this store, who works part time in said store is rightfully angery

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1267903014221656064

A woman who is part owner of this store, who works part time in said store is rightfully angery

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1267903014221656064

I feel terrible for her. I hope they find and prosecute the white opportunists and other thugs who did that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Danzy wrote: »
    Given murder rates in communities like Baltimore, south Chicago wtc the police are not going to be able to control that, could the national guard, maybe, maybe not.
    You would have to have stop and search for every single person.
    It's not going to happen unless it starts in the community.

My favourite t.v. show of all time was "The Wire" which focused on Baltimore throughout 5 seasons, each with a different perspective. I think Simon presents drugs-laws(or the war on drugs) as a large part of the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement