Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Fair play for taking on this!

Are we to pm our scores to you? Just listening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Just submitting my results there now.

I went with 0, 5, 10, 15, 20 for my votes as I wanted to keep it simple for myself. Hope this is OK.

Really like the Cranberries track in this list and I'd never heard it before

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

lassykk wrote: »
    I went with 0, 5, 10, 15, 20 for my votes as I wanted to keep it simple for myself. Hope this is OK.

Might do something similar myself.

Are 0's allowed?
    Was gonna give two songs a 1, bit if zeros are allowed then its a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I will mark mine out of 10 and just double the score, seems an easy format.

noby wrote: »
    Fair play for taking on this!

Are we to pm our scores to you? Just listening now.

Yes please.

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    I will mark mine out of 10 and just double the score, seems an easy format.

That's also a good idea. Might do that one.

Zeros are allowed. If you don’t like something, you don’t like it.

Might do something similar myself.

Are 0's allowed?
    Was gonna give two songs a 1, bit if zeros are allowed then its a different story.

I'm just extremely harsh - I could probably give a 1 if i was feeling generous

My split was

20 - 3
    15 - 2
    10 - 1
    5 - 7
    0 - 12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just submitting my results there now.

Really like the Cranberries track in this list and I'd never heard it before

:)

I'm glad you liked it, one of my nominations and my favourite Cranberries song.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the songs posted, Strawbs? Something that I can copy in to a PM and put my scores against it, rather than copying each title from Youtube?

• Advertisement

I'm just extremely harsh - I could probably give a 1 if i was feeling generous

My split was

20 - 3
    15 - 2
    10 - 1
    5 - 7
    0 - 12

Wow, very harsh.

quickbeam wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to have a list of the songs posted, Strawbs? Something that I can copy in to a PM and put my scores against it, rather than copying each title from Youtube?

Ward Thomas - No Filter
    Natalie Imbruglia - That Day
    Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water
    Nightwish - Shoemaker
    Gillian Welch - Everything is Free
    Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - All Cried Out
    Shakespears Sister - Stay
    Nina Simone - Sinnerman
    Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dewdrops' Drops
    Taylor Swift - I knew you were trouble
    Skeeter Davis - The End of the World
    Youssou N'Dour - 7 Seconds ft. Neneh Cherry
    Cat Power - Nude As The News
    The Dark Element - When It All Comes Down
    Madonna - Frozen
    Macy Gray - I try
    Clarity - Zedd
    Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
    The Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love
    Lamb - Gabriel
    Moloko - Sing it Back
    Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U
    The Cranberries - Animal Instinct
    Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
    Edith Piaf - Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien

Wow, very harsh.

My thoughts were that I really only want songs I really like getting through to the later rounds so if I wouldn't vote for a song I gave it zero.

quickbeam wrote: »

Gimme half hour. Just doing my dads exercise.

My thoughts were that I really only want songs I really like getting through to the later rounds so if I wouldn't vote for a song I gave it zero.

I'll probably adapt that mentality once I start rating. 5 songs I absolutely love at the moment that will probably get full marks from me on this one, and quite a few others I'd gladly see move forward. Theres other songs that are good, but I could take or leave.

Gimme half hour. Just doing my dads exercise.

I posted it up above - save you the bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Submitted my scoring.

I had eight scored at zero which was me being very generous. The majority of the songs would not be my cup of tea but saying that, I expect the three belonging to me to be scored zero by everyone else.

Yeah, no worries Strawbs, I have it now thanks to lassykk.

This is a very new experience for me. I never listen to music I don't know. I'm also not really "musical" in the sense that I can critique a song from one listen. Those I know already will get preferential scoring just because of familiarity, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sticking in a nice day one reference post for myself, and anyone else that might find it useful...
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Ward Thomas - No Filter
    Natalie Imbruglia - That Day
    Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water
    Nightwish - Shoemaker
    Gillian Welch - Everything is Free
    Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - All Cried Out
    Shakespears Sister - Stay
    Nina Simone - Sinnerman
    Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dewdrops' Drops
    Taylor Swift - I knew you were trouble
    Skeeter Davis - The End of the World
    Youssou N'Dour - 7 Seconds ft. Neneh Cherry
    Cat Power - Nude As The News
    The Dark Element - When It All Comes Down
    Madonna - Frozen
    Macy Gray - I try
    Clarity - Zedd
    Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
    The Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love
    Lamb - Gabriel
    Moloko - Sing it Back
    Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U
    The Cranberries - Animal Instinct
    Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
    Edith Piaf - Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I agree withn your logic.
    The thing is that without even listening to the playlist I have 8 songs that I know and really like and they will score very high.
    I will probably end up being like Paula Abdul in American Idol that liked everything!!! :pac:

• Advertisement

I've decided to go for the classic rate everything out of 5 system, then multiply by 4, so my final results will either be 20, 16, 12, 8, 4, or 0 which I've already found really helpful, at making quicker decisions on ratings

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Submitted my ratings there, have had it on in the background all morning.

Some great songs, some not so great on that list fo sho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

When is the deadline for your scores? Can't listen to them atm.

When is the deadline for your scores? Can't listen to them atm.

After I have posted the final playlist. So loads of time.

Jesus, everyone's fierce harsh with all the zeros! I'd normally find it very difficult to give any song a zero, even if I really disliked it I'd try to find some sort of redeeming feature.

But now I feel like I have to be a really picky bastard because the rest of ye are! :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm normally not either admittedly but given the sheer volume of songs I kind of agree with lassy's thinking.

Jesus, everyone's fierce harsh with all the zeros! I'd normally find it very difficult to give any song a zero, even if I really disliked it I'd try to find some sort of redeeming feature.

But now I feel like I have to be a really picky bastard because the rest of ye are! :(

Yep, I've had to adapt the same picky bastard persona when doing my results now too. Looks like 7 are now getting a zero from me. The rating out of 5 and multiplying by 4 has definitely helped separate the really good from the less so good. I guess with so many songs to go through, a bit of ruthlessness is probably for the best, and will make the head-to-heads all the more epic. Still giving 5 songs 20 from this lot though. A couple of great new discoveries.

Will have another listen though before deciding on my final rating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Agreed, the lowest I'd go is 1/10
    And the highest I'll go for anyone else's is likely 9/10 :p

I’ve thought about that. I’ll be keeping track of who has scored what songs and I’ll send off a PM to remind them of any outstanding they’ve yet to score.

Depending on how many they’ve already scored, I’ll either disregard their scores completely or average out the ones left.

I think average is the best. Guaranteed you won't get the same amount of people for every song.

• Advertisement

Agreed, the lowest I'd go is 1/10
    And the highest I'll go for anyone else's is likely 9/10 :p

Currently about 3/4 of the way through, there's only song so far I'd say that I actually dislike (as opposed to a few which I was just indifferent to), and even that's getting 2 points from me at the moment (1 out of 10 doubled, as per the Kolido system).

I might revise at the end though and round scores down depending on range (e.g. 0-2 gets 0 points, 4-6 gets 4 points,....,16-18 gets 16 points and a perfect 20 gets a 20.) I don't want to be overly generous, since everyone else is being so mean! :P

Nah fúck it, gonna keep it as 1-10 and doubled, with possibility of a zero only if I absolutely detest something so much that it's totally beyond redemption)

Advertisement