Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭blackcard

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-exponential-increase-in-cases-within-days-varadkar-1.4203961

Current 170

Roll out of increase 30%

16 Monday 221
    17 Tuesday 287
    18 Wednesday 373
    19 Thursday 486
    20 Friday 631
    21 Saturday 821
    22 Sunday 1,067
    23 Monday 1,387
    24 Tuesday 1,803
    25 Wednesday 2,344
    26 Thursday 3,047
    27 Friday 3,961
    28 Saturday 5,149
    29 Sunday 6,694
    30 Monday 8,702
    31 Tuesday 11,312

Have we the capacity to take that amount of tests? Over 2600 in 1 day if all were positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Still though, thats 2,200 that will need hospital treatment and 750 critical with 300 dead. By the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Taoiseach states he believes 15,000 people will have tested positive by the end of the month.

Holy fùck.

I knew they were slow to react but fúck. Thats the ICU beds and Health Service ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Begrudgingly - very begrudgingly - but equally as surprisingly the current / outgoing government are doing ok overall. Assured and calm speaking from the public speakers, and a sense of action and calmness. I don't want to admit it but I shall. Credit where it is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If those figures true then lockdown needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Taoiseach states he believes 15,000 people will have tested positive by the end of the month.

Majority will recover though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fúck, that's Italy levels in a country with a fraction of the population. That is serious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

VinLieger wrote: »
    10% of 15000 is 1500 we have 250 ICU beds....

That's why the social distancing is important.

Doctors can't treat 1500 patients all at the same time
    But they can treat 1500 patients one after another.

Flattening the curve, etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

pH wrote: »
    This man in NOT a doctor, he's a retired nurse. Doesn't necessarily make what he's saying right or wrong, but identifying him and a 'doctor' is incorrect.

"Hello Everyone,
    My name is John Campbell and I am a retired Nurse Teacher and A and E nurse based in England. I also do some teaching in Asia and Africa when time permits. These videos are to help students to learn the background to all forms of health care. My PhD focured on the development of open learning resources for nurses nationally and internationally. "
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/about

Don't shoot the messenger. I watched the video a little earlier, and then I read that poster's comment about waiting for a test and giving Nurofen.

I'm just trying to be helpful. If NSAIDS are dangerous, it could be important info to give them. (I have no medical training other than 1st aid - so I have no idea if what he's saying is correct)

A lot of people are dying in Italy. If he's correct, then it could be very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Akrasia wrote: »
    I think he just got a promotion minus the payrise or boost in Job title

SLT = Senior/Site Leadership Team
    EHS is Environmental Health and Safety
    API is Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (drug)

"Promotion" or "scapegoat"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Those people are already infected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They are ramping the response up every day

If they did it all overnight there would be pandemonium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what if pubs just stopped serving alcohol rather then closing, serving more tea/coffee and food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/health-experts-criticise-nhs-advice-to-take-ibuprofen-for-covid-19?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

An article re NSAIDS from the Guardian, for anyone interested.

In essence, the article reports that French and British medical professionals don’t recommend anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen, for Covid -19 as it may suppress the body’s immune response to infection, thereby prolonging or worsening the illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

And majority won't need hospital treatment

Italy were deciding who lives and who dies at 15,000 confirmed cases....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

One second. Can that be right? 15000 in 14 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is it possible to not get it from your family living together? (if one your of family have it)

Silverfish wrote: »
    That's why the social distancing is important.

Doctors can't treat 1500 patients all at the same time
    But they can treat 1500 patients one after another.

Flattening the curve, etc etc

Ohh i agree 100%, but 15000 by the end of the month means we missed our shot probably a week late id say

Fúck, that's Italy levels in a country with a fraction of the population. That is serious.

Very bad. And when things start creaking it will spread more :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blackcard wrote: »
    Have we the capacity to take that amount of tests? Over 2600 in 1 day if all were positive.
    They are extending to other labs. Gotta say this is really Leo's bailwick , clear, absolutely no nonsense delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Anybody know where the announcement is gonna be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Majority will recover though

Of course they will, only a fraction will even need hospitalization. It will still overwhelm the health system though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

what if pubs just stopped serving alcohol rather then closing, serving more tea/coffee and food.

Then it depends on if they practice social distancing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Do you not understand what social distancing means.
    The problem is not alcohol, it's being in close confined spaces beside each other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It doesn't mean 15000 people will all be walking around with it, all needing ICU all together at the same time.Some will have tested positive 2.5 weeks previously and be just fine by the end of the month.
    The key is minimising the numbers of people newly tested and in the serious phase of the virus at any one point in time.Keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Have they given any numbers for today yet tuned in late??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

On WhatsApp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Yes, with an incubation period it's too late to save us from that 15,000 figure but we can make sure that's the peak with action now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No, in fact.

The Taoiseach thinks quarantine (full lockdown) might not be necessary and that we as a people should go for extreme and radical social distancing (but still leave our houses)

• Advertisement

Ohh i agree 100%, but 15000 by the end of the month means we missed our shot probably a week late id say

Yep. Too much dithering and airports still not closed........we copied Italy exactly if it spread this much :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Those people are already infected

But infecting more and more as each day passes. Lockdown is coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Begrudgingly - very begrudgingly - but equally as surprisingly the current / outgoing government are doing ok overall. Assured and calm speaking from the public speakers, and a sense of action and calmness. I don't want to admit it but I shall. Credit where it is due.

I'm inclined to agree - also its doing no harm having a doctor at the helm who unlike other leaders sees the big picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Boylesports is closing on Wednesday night until the 30th of March. Not sure why they are waiting until Wednesday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No recommendation to stop moving between South and North.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

FutureGuy wrote: »
    One second. Can that be right? 15000 in 14 days?

That's what he said. There could be an element of preparing people for the absolute worse case scenario and hoping what actually occurs is much less severe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

These are shocking numbers. 15000 by the end of the month. Months not weeks. Sure I knew it was likely months but still to hear it come out of the Taoiseach mouth.... Surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

What problem are you trying to solve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

What's most frightening is experts believe the true figure may be 10-20 times what is reported due to mild symptoms or asymptomatic people. So it could mean 150 - 300k infected by the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shouldn't these updates be live on RTE 1 every day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Here. https://www.rte.ie/news/player/live/7/

Live now. Sub Committee inc Leo, Dr Holohan. Should be finished soon and then update on numbers shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Loughc wrote: »
    On WhatsApp

A friend of a friend will send it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Conchy wrote: »
    Boylesports is closing on Wednesday night until the 30th of March. Not sure why they are waiting until Wednesday though.

This is going to lead to issues. So many men rely on the bookies to escape their homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

pjohnson wrote: »
    Holy fùck.

I knew they were slow to react but fúck. Thats the ICU beds and Health Service ****ed.

They just sat on it.

They let it come in. They let it fester. They didn't seem to feel that they had a mandate to do anything until somebody died.

Travel restrictions, enforced quarantines, and scaled up testing needed to be in place by February.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Based on the 30% increase the entire country will have been exposed by the 24 April.

I am calling BS, how come China is not completely saturated at this stage?

Yeah likewise I cant see where the 30% figure is coming from.

People are quite clearly keeping distance from each other and most non essential services and offices are basically shut down already with people working from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,674 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Very impressed with that briefing and all involved, a great call to arms and unity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Based on the 30% increase the entire country will have been exposed by the 24 April.

Did you not see the lengths they went to to curb this?
    Do you still believe they are telling the truth?

Those daily numbers should start declining if the social distancing has worked by the first week of April.

China did it cus they are authoritaian as fvck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,438 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

murpho999 wrote: »
    Shouldn't these updates be live on RTE 1 every day?

That would interfer with the cash they take in from advertisements and sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Conchy wrote: »

I wonder how much of their revenue is online these days? Lots of older customers cant use the net.

I suppose their biggest problem is they have nothing to offer odds on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement