Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dades wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of stretch to call it a rip off. There's a lot of common concepts in sci fi - e.g. unknown signal from space - that doesn't mean every variation is a rip off of the most well known treatment.

I agree. To be clear, though, I didn’t say it was a rip off but a “riff”, ie a distinct variation or take on 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Arrival was another great recent scifi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

To me Interstellar was like season 2 of Westworld. Great cast, great direction, some great individual episodes/sequences. But just didn't cohere in a satisfactory way in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I really just don't get the whole thing about him being behind the bookcase, movie was great up to that point

It went off the wall at that point but what I think they were getting at is that love pulled Cooper across space and time back to his family. A peculiar take but that's what makes Nolan great in that he takes these chances and pushes the button beyond being generic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

santana75 wrote: »
    I saw this when it was released and I have never had a cinematic experience like it before or since. It just moved me to the core of my being and I was telling everyone to go see it, which they did and their responses where very much underwhelming. For whatever reason it seems to be a film that speaks deeply to some but does very little for others(one friend even said he fell asleep after 20 minutes). Its kind of like cloud atlas in that it didnt get a lot of attention at the time but has since started to gain recognition. I mean in years to come nobody will remember Avengers Infinity war or captain marvel, they'll be forgotten and disposed of just like most winners of the x-factor are disposed of and forgotten shortly thereafter. But just like subsequent generations continue to discover the Beetles or led zeppelin, in 10 years time people will still be drawn to Interstellar.

Not a chance, it get's worse with repeated viewings like a lot of Nolan's movies.

The most over rated Sci-Fi movie in recent times along with Gravity. Nobody will remember this movie in 10 years time.

I wouldn't put it in the top 50 Sci-Fi movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It went off the wall at that point but what I think they were getting at is that love pulled Cooper across space and time back to his family. A peculiar take but that's what makes Nolan great in that he takes these chances and pushes the button beyond being generic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not a chance, it get's worse with repeated viewings like a lot of Nolan's movies.

The most over rated Sci-Fi movie in recent times along with Gravity. Nobody will remember this movie in 10 years time.

We're almost 5 years in and this thread is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭micks_address

I always find it funny when people say a movie is worse on repeat viewings...if you don't like it the first or second time why would you keep watching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I did like it the first time. It's a good movie but a classic it ain't. I loved inception but again it doesn't hold up to repeat viewings.

I have watched Alien, Aliens, Terminator 1-2, Blade Runner, Star Wars etc many times and enjoy it every time. Maybe that's Nostalgia but I'm not the only 1.

I did like it the first time. It's a good movie but a classic it ain't. I loved inception but again it doesn't hold up to repeat viewings.

I have watched Alien, Aliens, Terminator 1-2, Blade Runner, Star Wars etc many times and enjoy it every time. Maybe that's Nostalgia but I'm not the only 1.

I'd say interstellar has the scale and grandeur to be hailed a classic.. I watched it again recently in 4k hdr and it's mesmerizing.. the soundtrack is awesome to . Whatever about the ending there are some grand themes at play.. I'd say it's up there in terms of classics.. it's weird I find some of the 80s stuff that absolutely blew me away as a teenager doesn't have nearly the same impact when I watch now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Nolan directed The Lion King and Gladiator?! :p

Ah I know what you mean though, that docking scene was a masterclass in editing. A whole different pallet of talents brought together with editing perfection. It's definitely my favourite score of Zimmer's, he and Nolan are such a perfect combo and Nolan definitely inspires and challenges Zimmer to progress like other directors don't.

I'm just happy to see this thread trending again as this is one of my favourite movies. It has its flaws and suffers from Nolan clunkiness in parts with the dialogue, but I can get past these for my own enjoyment.

I wouldn't dare dream of rating it in the sci-fi pantheon though, I haven't seen enough sci-fi movies to judge.

It is no coincidence that one director that has had a big influence on Nolan seems to be Terrence Malick and he seems to follow the same style when it comes to the musical score as Malick does. Now Malick absolutely destroys the work of the composer when it comes to the end product and you hardly have anything that they composed in the movie.

With that in mind it makes sense that Zimmer and Nolan has a great working relationship. I think Malick pushed Zimmer a lot and that made him a better composer as a result. It is also interesting that while both Nolan and Malick like their composers to bring them music without knowing what film they are scoring, Zimmer chose not to work with Malick again but has gone back again and again to work with Nolan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gravity is an example of incredible direction, and use of proper 3D. It wasn't sci fi but a contemporary space survival tale.

I bet most of the movies you'd suggest are better sci fi, involve no science at all.

Interstellar remains is a constant in Piratebay's top downloads (not an endorsement!) 5 years on. It is a classic, and yes, this generations worthy 2001. It endures for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The internet would be far more boring if everyone understood the difference between "I don't like it" and "It's bad".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Bowlardo wrote: »
    It is though....it is most certainly near the best sci FI ever made. Name 5 better sci FI movies
    Blade runner
    Space odyssey
    Aliens

It was a good sci-fi film up until it morphed into a 'love will save you regardless of the situation'. The whole being sent back to be behind the bookshelf, and Murph working out the code and theory was too hamfisted. I left seeing the film annoyed, as the ending was such a cope out, that it undid the rest of the enjoyable experience that it had been up until that point.

For good sci-fi see:

Arrival,
    Her,
    Primer,
    Moon,
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,
    Dune,
    12 Monkeys,
    Pi,

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maryjane1970

So going into a black hole might not be so bad..!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Interesting analysis of Intersteller

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

good video ...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just watched this for the second time, enjoyed it a lot more than the first. Think it holds up very well with a repeat viewing, funny to read all the posts on here trying to pick it apart. Matthew McConaughey is great in this, and Jessica Chastain is amazing as always.

Just watched this for the second time, enjoyed it a lot more than the first. Think it holds up very well with a repeat viewing, funny to read all the posts on here trying to pick it apart. Matthew McConaughey is great in this, and Jessica Chastain is amazing as always.

Yes it's absolutely class in 4k with a good surround sound and TV setup

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is back on the big screen in swords. Just went to it again, seen it double digit amounts and it’s still glorious on the big screen. A highly enjoyable night at the cinema.. Just wonderful movie... if you liked it or haven’t seen it, it’s as superb as it was when I first saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

How are they handling social distancing there? Were you worried at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was a film I rewatched recently too, having really thought it was very good initially.

Haven't really changed my mind on it. Yes it's still a very good film and has aged well, but the one thing that really stood out was his relationship with his daughter.

It was played out so much in the film, it was the main thing that affected him as he journeyed. Yet when he finally got back to see her after all those years he hung around for a few minutes then buggered off.

Was a weak conclusion for me, kind of belittled their complex relationship.

Effects wrote: »
    How are they handling social distancing there? Were you worried at all?

No issues or concerns with it. I’m a very cautious person so I don’t say it lightly.

There was only a few people in the screen , everybody kept a good distance, no chatting and a regimented system. Everybody wore masks in and out (could eat food in there).

Also cinema makes sure if you book tickets no seat is beside on front or behind you. I’m definitely going to go more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

NIMAN wrote: »
    It was a film I rewatched recently too, having really thought it was very good initially.

Haven't really changed my mind on it. Yes it's still a very good film and has aged well, but the one thing that really stood out was his relationship with his daughter.

It was played out so much in the film, it was the main thing that affected him as he journeyed. Yet when he finally got back to see her after all those years he hung around for a few minutes then buggered off.

I'd agree with you on that. It felt really out of place that he just leaves are a few minutes.

It's still a beautiful movie. I've watched it a few times and the cinematography and soundtrack are stunning.

I actually watched it during the lockdown but it’s just not the same as it is on the big screen.

Really is epic. So many goose pimple moments , the wave , the clock ticking on that planet for every day lost, the score is just perfect, trying to redock after Mann’s ship blows the airlock, falling into gargantua... That’s just what’s coming to mind off the top of my head.

Two savage moments where when he’s leaving his family and checks to see if Murph is hiding again and when he starts watching videos of his children , over 23 years of footage and it starts to hit home what he missed. Also quite horrible when he’s watching Murph in the tesseract and regretting his decision to leave “don’t let me go Murph”. Maybe it’s cause I am a father myself but I found all
    Those moments about missing out on so much with the Children to be powerful.

I enjoyed the experience so much, the end wasn’t a problem. Just a masterpiece of a movie. Few movies make a cinema going experience so good and worth going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It certainly whets the appetite for Tenet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is back on the big screen in swords. Just went to it again, seen it double digit amounts and it’s still glorious on the big screen. A highly enjoyable night at the cinema.. Just wonderful movie... if you liked it or haven’t seen it, it’s as superb as it was when I first saw it.

Does it contain subtitles to assist with McConaughey's largely incoherent delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Better he sit for a few minutes more and watch her die? He gets confirmation that he saved her life and that she lived a full life with a big loving family. He hadn't seen her in person for 60-70 years of her life and doesn't need to watch this old woman die.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

MfMan wrote: »
    Does it contain subtitles to assist with McConaughey's largely incoherent delivery?

Didn't find that at all personally. If anything I found some of Michael Caine's dialogue hard to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Better he sit for a few minutes more and watch her die? He gets confirmation that he saved her life and that she lived a full life with a big loving family. He hadn't seen her in person for 60-70 years of her life and doesn't need to watch this old woman die.

It's ok. You don't need to defend a weird plot point. Film is still Excellent overall.

Advertisement