Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

I enjoy similar parody-based rips like HISHE (How It Should Have Ended) and some of the College Humour skits, but that Honest Trailer did absolutely nothing for me.

This is coming to Dublin in 3 weeks. Nolan, Zimmer & Caine all confirmed so far.

You forgot to mention McConnaughy and Hathaway, or didn't you know?! Apparently Christian Bale will be doing a reading of Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night before the movie as a tribute to Nolan, using his Bat-voice from TDKR. Shít's gonna be unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

stankratz wrote: »
    You forgot to mention McConnaughy and Hathaway, or didn't you know?! Apparently Christian Bale will be doing a reading of Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night before the movie as a tribute to Nolan, using his Bat-voice from TDKR. Shít's gonna be unreal!

Actually it's TARS doing the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Obvious April fool joke is obvious.

C'mon man try and be a little more subtle everybody knows the movie is amazing and Hans Zimmer is a Genius.

Nope, I love sci-fi but this movie is just simply overrated, it looked and sounded fantastic but I was extremely disappointed and fail to see how its rated so highly

I agreed with the pisstake like it was a real review

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

kingtiger wrote: »
    Nope, I love sci-fi but this movie is just simply overrated, it looked and sounded fantastic but I was extremely disappointed and fail to see how its rated so highly

I agreed with the pisstake like it was a real review

Nah I totally agree with you, I was just aping the fanboyism this film elicits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

wow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

the_monkey wrote: »

wow

Fuk my life for missing out on this

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

wow that video is incredible. what a movie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Fecking disaster I missed that :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just impulse bought the blu ray because of the booklet it comes in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

This is really a Film that gets better and better with each viewing, after watching it three times on Blu Ray. Some Cheesy lines aside, this is another masterpiece from Nolan and now probably would have finished top of my best films of 2014 if I watched it more then once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

After seeing it for the second time I would say this is the best film I've seen in the last 10 years. The only other one that comes close is TDK which is probably technically a better film as I can't fault it in any way, but Interstellar is more original and has left an indelible mark despite its flaws. And before you go calling be a Nolan fanboy, I hated some of his other films. :)

Blows my mind the love in this film is getting, and I've watched it multiple times . For me its a tossup between this and Dark Knight Rises for Nolans worst film.

1.Inception 2.Prestige 3.Momento 4.Dark Knight 5. Batman Begins 6. Insomnia 7.Intersteller/DKR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I watched it tonight.

I thought it was excellent but some of the time space, dimension stuff really went over my head and confused the hell out of me.Still it was an enjoyable Sci Fi film and gets you thinking which is always a sign of a good film in my opinion.

The score was beautiful.

Blows my mind the love in this film is getting, and I've watched it multiple times . For me its a tossup between this and Dark Knight Rises for Nolans worst film.

1.Inception 2.Prestige 3.Momento 4.Dark Knight 5. Batman Begins 6. Insomnia 7.Intersteller/DKR

Clearly a case of 'whatever floats your boat'. What you'd rank as the worst on your list would be among my favourites. And your favourite would be among my least...

1. The Prestige
    2. Interstellar (will probably only grow fonder over time)
    3. Batman Begins
    4. TDK/Memento
    6. TDKR
    7. Inception/Insomnia

I'm not at all suggesting that those are his best and worst movies in order, only my current preference and the level of enjoyment I get out of them. I relished the thoughts that Nolan was going to make a big budget movie about dream-thieves with that cast, but despite 3 viewings I'm still not gone on it. No sleep lost on my part, and I didn't occupy the Inception thread and try to shoot down any love the movie got.

We all be thinking with our different brains OP, at least we can agree that The Prestige is the shít. I just re-watched it last weekend and it still blows my mind. 10 years later and I still notice something new each time I watch it.

Blows my mind the love in this film is getting/

Blows my mind that some people don't love this film ;). I honestly think some people were already hating this film before going in to see it, basically thinking Nolan needs taking down a peg or two. But this is what film is all about and how it should make you feel, exciting and mind blowing.

Clearly a case of 'whatever floats your boat'. What you'd rank as the worst on your list would be among my favourites. And your favourite would be among my least...

1. The Prestige
    3. Batman Begins
    4. TDK/Memento
    6. TDKR
    7. Inception/Insomnia

I'm not at all suggesting that those are his best and worst movies in order, only my current preference and the level of enjoyment I get out of them. I relished the thoughts that Nolan was going to make a big budget movie about dream-thieves with that cast, but despite 3 viewings I'm still not gone on it. No sleep lost on my part, and I didn't occupy the Inception thread and try to shoot down any love the movie got.

We all be thinking with our different brains OP, at least we can agree that The Prestige is the shít. I just re-watched it last weekend and it still blows my mind. 10 years later and I still notice something new each time I watch it.

Nolan is only in a small group of directors that hasn't made a stinker imo. Paul Thomas Anderson is another for me. Even Nolan's lesser fare is better then most directors (Insomnia is still very good solid thriller). I think the Dark Knight Rises gets far too much hate seen as it had the impossible demand of topping the greatest superhero film ever.

The Prestige is really a wonderful film as is Inception and Interstellar, cinematic experiences that need to be seen on the big screen. For me Nolan has 6 classic films in his canon and three good to very good films, not a bad run at the moment.

I go

1. Memento
    2. The Prestige
    3. Interstellar
    4. Inception
    5. The Dark Knight
    6. Batman Begins
    (all 5/5 films for me)
    7. The Dark Knight Rises
    8. Insomnia
    9. Following

I could interchange any of the top 6 really they are all that good. Can't wait for Nolan's next film.

1. The Prestige
    3. Batman Begins
    4. TDK/Memento
    6. TDKR
    7. Inception/Insomnia

You're of course right Stank, to each their own I guess, I'm no more gonna convince you its ****e then you're gonna convince me its amazing. My post was as much borne of a befuddlement and frustration that this thread has been sustained on the front page for so long not by debate but by endless "I've seen it 3/4/5/6/7 times in [insert format/cinema here]and I think it was awesomer then you" posts. Anyways I should prob just unfollow the thread instead of sniping.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Blows my mind that some people don't love this film ;). I honestly think some people were already hating this film before going in to see it, basically thinking Nolan needs taking down a peg or two. But this is what film is all about and how it should make you feel, exciting and mind blowing.

I've no doubt there may have been one or two of that opinion but I'm not one of them. I disliked it for entirely rational reasons.

I thought Memento was awful, its just the same scenes over and over again. I haven't seen The Prestige yet so I might watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I thought Memento was awful, its just the same scenes over and over again. I haven't seen The Prestige yet so I might watch that.

Actually agree I love Nolans movies but tried watching Momento again recently and just turned it off! My favourite Nolan films
    1) Batman Begins
    2) Inception
    3) The Prestige
    4) Intersteller
    5) TDKR
    6)The Dark Knight
    7)Insomnia
    8) Momento

I kind of agree with Mark Kamode that Intersteller is a great movie but it's not Nolan's best work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Saw it again today for the 2nd time, did not have the same impact on the smaller screen for sure, still a thought-provoking film and does make you think about the bigger picture, what's in store for the future, etc. My missus (who hadn't seen it before) normally falls asleep during movies that are on after 11pm but she was enraptured throughout :). My 2 kids also watched it for the second time and they also stayed with it until the end.

Zimmer's score is truly memorable. The last 20 minutes don't really stand up to scrutiny and there are too many loose ends in total. Still up there with Nolan's best, The Prestige and TDK are better movies with more coherent plot development however.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Nolan is only in a small group of directors that hasn't made a stinker imo. Paul Thomas Anderson is another for me. Even Nolan's lesser fare is better then most directors (Insomnia is still very good solid thriller). I think the Dark Knight Rises gets far too much hate seen as it had the impossible demand of topping the greatest superhero film ever.

The Prestige is really a wonderful film as is Inception and Interstellar, cinematic experiences that need to be seen on the big screen. For me Nolan has 6 classic films in his canon and three good to very good films, not a bad run at the moment.

I go

1. Memento
    2. The Prestige
    3. Interstellar
    4. Inception
    5. The Dark Knight
    6. Batman Begins
    (all 5/5 films for me)
    7. The Dark Knight Rises
    8. Insomnia
    9. Following

I could interchange any of the top 6 really they are all that good. Can't wait for Nolan's next film.

Now that promotional work for Interstellar seems to be done and the movie is out in the world on blu-ray/download, I would expect to hear news and tidbits of Nolan's next project by August/September. That is assuming of course that he is going to keep going as normal and jump from one movie to the next, rather than take an extended break. Just the taglines and brief descriptions of his movies excite me. My bum was guaranteed to be in the cinema seat for The Prestige, Inception and Interstellar on the taglines alone, and I ended up loving 2 of those movies.

As for the rest of your post, it would be my opinion too that Nolan doesn't have one stinker on his film-reel. There are a couple of his movies that I don't overly enjoy or particularly like, but I still can't deny that they are well-made, impressive works of film and therefore not 'stinkers' or 'terrible' movies.

While there are still a couple of PTA's movies that I've yet to watch, a similar director to Nolan for me in terms of quality control is David Fincher. Like with Nolan, there are a few Fincher movies that I'm not mad about, i.e. Gone Girl, Alien 3, Benjamin Button, but I could still see that they were good movies despite my lack of enjoyment. Ok, Alien 3 is well up for debate in the 'good movie' category, but Fincher hadn't full control of it and that movie's troubles have been well documented.

Nolan's movies have flaws, some more than others, but I honestly don't believe that he has made a bad movie.
    You're of course right Stank, to each their own I guess, I'm no more gonna convince you its ****e then you're gonna convince me its amazing. My post was as much borne of a befuddlement and frustration that this thread has been sustained on the front page for so long not by debate but by endless "I've seen it 3/4/5/6/7 times in [insert format/cinema here]and I think it was awesomer then you" posts. Anyways I should prob just unfollow the thread instead of sniping.

I've no doubt there may have been one or two of that opinion but I'm not one of them. I disliked it for entirely rational reasons.

Well you said that you've watched the movie 3 times, so you've given Interstellar a fair chance to win you over and maybe it's just not meant to be. Same with myself and Inception, I've often thought 'What am I missing that almost everyone else loves?' but after that moment's thought, I wouldn't really let it bother me for much longer. Then there are those who can't see that The Prestige is the greatest thing that mankind has accomplished yet :D and I shudder a little, but not too much and then move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

He was rumoured to be directing Ready Player One which is another sci fi but it turns out that it's actually Spielberg doing it. He was also rumoured to be highly desired for one of the new James Bond movies. Hopefully he does another original standalone with his brother though, they do great work together.

If he was to do James Bond or another franchise I'd prefer if he didn't just sign on to do a single one in the middle of a rehash like the current Daniel Craig ones. I'd rather if he did similar to Batman and got to create a new trilogy/series for the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

He was rumoured to be directing Ready Player One which is another sci fi but it turns out that it's actually Spielberg doing it. He was also rumoured to be highly desired for one of the new James Bond movies. Hopefully he does another original standalone with his brother though, they do great work together.

If he was to do James Bond or another franchise I'd prefer if he didn't just sign on to do a single one in the middle of a rehash like the current Daniel Craig ones. I'd rather if he did similar to Batman and got to create a new trilogy/series for the character.

I'm pretty sure Nolan only did the Batman movies so he could make 'his' movies: Inception and Interstellar. I read that when he was asked to do The Dark Knight, he would only agree to it if Warner Bros funded Inception. I think Nolan is in a position now where he can make whatever he wants and not have to make films for studios in order to receive backing for what he wants to make. If he is asked to do Bond, I would hope he does it because it is something that genuinely interests him as opposed to a sideshow for another film he has in the works that needs support.

The earth is dying trope with corn being all that is left pays homage to Nolan's struggle for wanting to make his movies. I found that to be an excellent analogy for the film industry today.

I would rather see Nolan bring more original stories to the screen than insert himself into another franchise.

One thing I noticed after watching Interstellar for the second time that I didn't pick up on in the cinema, is how Matthew almost whispers his lines throughout the film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Why did they only bring one woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Falthyron wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Nolan only did the Batman movies so he could make 'his' movies: Inception and Interstellar. I read that when he was asked to do The Dark Knight, he would only agree to it if Warner Bros funded Inception. I think Nolan is in a position now where he can make whatever he wants and not have to make films for studios in order to receive backing for what he wants to make.

I don't know if Interstellar turned out to be the film he wanted to make. It struck me as a film with a lot of concessions to studio requirements for mass market appeal.

Inception on the other hand, didn't strike me as compromising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I don't know if Interstellar turned out to be the film he wanted to make. It struck me as a film with a lot of concessions to studio requirements for mass market appeal.

Inception on the other hand, didn't strike me as compromising.

I would agree with that. Technically there is no 'bad guy' in Interstellar. No ruthless foe, or crazy individual who seeks to change the world, etc. It isn't a conventional Hollywood story. I know some might say Matt Damon is the bad guy, but is he really? He wants to complete the mission he set out to do - all down to perspectives.

Was there drugs? No. Sex? No. Some bad language, and very little action. On top of all that, there was plenty of complicated science. Oh and it isn't a kids film. This was a very difficult film to sell to a financially conservative film studio in the current economic climate. So, I would agree that with all of this taken into consideration, Nolan may have been restrained and perhaps he didn't get to make Interstellar exactly how he wanted it. But when you break it down (sex, drugs, action, violence, language) and compare it to other blockbuster films, it is a very different sort of Hollywood movie.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd be surprised if he was constrained at all tbh, he's reached a level of financial success with his last few films that would pretty much give him carte blanche at this stage I would have thought.

Advertisement