Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Falthyron wrote: »
    I would agree with that. Technically there is no 'bad guy' in Interstellar. No ruthless foe, or crazy individual who seeks to change the world, etc. It isn't a conventional Hollywood story. I know some might say Matt Damon is the bad guy, but is he really? He wants to complete the mission he set out to do - all down to perspectives.

Was there drugs? No. Sex? No. Some bad language, and very little action. On top of all that, there was plenty of complicated science. Oh and it isn't a kids film. This was a very difficult film to sell to a financially conservative film studio in the current economic climate. So, I would agree that with all of this taken into consideration, Nolan may have been restrained and perhaps he didn't get to make Interstellar exactly how he wanted it. But when you break it down (sex, drugs, action, violence, language) and compare it to other blockbuster films, it is a very different sort of Hollywood movie.

He wanted to have more black holes and worm holes iirc but Kip Thorne is the one mostly responsible for that not happening. You can tell that either he or the studio forced little explanations for the general audience into the movie like the explanation of why the wormhole was spherical and how it works, there's no way any of the people on that mission would've needed that explained to them. Stuff like that's actually kind of annoying to see in movies.

I'd love if we got a directors cut that was entirely what they wanted to create, even if it was over three and a half hours long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Cooper looked shocked when he learned
    there was no intention to transporting earths population to the new planet.
    Before he learned this , how did Cooper think they were all going to get there ?

colossus-x wrote: »
    Before he learned this , how did Cooper think they were all going to get there ?

The same way they actually did get Earth's population on the space stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Michael Caine promised him he would solve the Gravity problem by the time he got back - hence why he was so pissed off when he found out he lied.

I thought Memento was awful, its just the same scenes over and over again. I haven't seen The Prestige yet so I might watch that.

Watch the prestige ... it's pure amazing ..

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    Clearly a case of 'whatever floats your boat'. What you'd rank as the worst on your list would be among my favourites. And your favourite would be among my least...

1. The Prestige
    2. Interstellar (will probably only grow fonder over time)
    3. Batman Begins
    4. TDK/Memento
    6. TDKR
    7. Inception/Insomnia

I'm not at all suggesting that those are his best and worst movies in order, only my current preference and the level of enjoyment I get out of them. I relished the thoughts that Nolan was going to make a big budget movie about dream-thieves with that cast, but despite 3 viewings I'm still not gone on it. No sleep lost on my part, and I didn't occupy the Inception thread and try to shoot down any love the movie got.

We all be thinking with our different brains OP, at least we can agree that The Prestige is the shít. I just re-watched it last weekend and it still blows my mind. 10 years later and I still notice something new each time I watch it.

Similar ,
    I'd have

1. The Prestige
    2. Interstellar (this is like 2nd on Goal Difference :) )
    . {gulf in quality here ...}

3. The Dark Knight
    4. Batman Begins
    5. The Dark Knight Rises
    6. Inception
    7. Memento
    . {similar gulf...}
    8. Insomnia

I need to watch following.

Actually check this out (sorry if I already posted this before)

Nolans first film, interesting to see a theme of recursiveness here - we have seen this in his other films before :)

Not sure how you can't admire memento, it was a great accomplishment in storytelling through film and the reason we even know Nolan in the way we do today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

The same way they actually did get Earth's population on the space stations?

What like 3 ppl at a time ? lol Look below for a better answer : D
    the_monkey wrote: »
    Michael Caine promised him he would solve the Gravity problem by the time he got back - hence why he was so pissed off when he found out he lied.

Ah! So that's what all that was about : ) lol

What like 3 ppl at a time ? lol Look below for a better answer : D

Ah! So that's what all that was about : ) lol

Not sure if serious, my answer was the same as the other post, I just didn't spell it out for you. If you actually watched the movie to the end you'd see they had far more than "like 3 ppl lol hehe" on the space station they showed and they also mentioned how there were more space stations since Murph was on another one and had to travel to Cooper's (that scene where that random old lady was in the bed at the end, surrounded by people, and Cooper walked in to visit her? Do you remember that? It was his DAUGHTER after all those years, mind blown!).

They got all those people, probably millions (that's six figures big, very large numbers here), on the space stations because Cooper (again, the main character) sent the data to solve gravity (that's the force that stops us from floating away lol) back to Murph.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Loved Interstellar.

Mcconaughey was very very orange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Enjoyed the movie and the way they at least tried to do the science right but then there's stuff that totally makes no sense and that jars. Why do they need a big Saturn V type rocket to lift off from Earth but they have no problem using the little Ranger to fly off the two planets through the wormhole and the one nearest the black hole has significantly more gravity than Earth.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the movie and the way they at least tried to do the science right but then there's stuff that totally makes no sense and that jars. Why do they need a big Saturn V type rocket to lift off from Earth but they have no problem using the little Ranger to fly off the two planets through the wormhole and the one nearest the black hole has significantly more gravity than Earth.

Save fuel I'd imagine.

Also the earth launch scene looks so much cooler and classic space travel
    with this rocket - reminds me of the 1969 Moon launch ..
    ah yeah as you say ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

While similar to S.T.A.Y, this is the song I was looking for in the movie. Just heard it randomly tonight.

I really must give this another watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

the_monkey wrote: »
    Save fuel I'd imagine.

Also the earth launch scene looks so much cooler and classic space travel
    with this rocket - reminds me of the 1969 Moon launch ..

ah yeah as you say ! :)

O/T but you've just reminded me of this actually (skip to 2:58 - 3:25) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9XrrEaZ7Y4 .. hehe, make it spin! :)

I've rewatched this over the weekend though and while it's still technically amazing from a visual perspective the whole storyline and style is still all over the place. The Honest Trailer has it spot on IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just finished rewatching Interstellar for the first time. It looks phenomenal on bluray. I wish more studios would drop 3D for action movies and just film in IMAX format.

I think I enjoyed the film more the second time around. I guess I didn't find the final act as jarring as I did the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I re-watched this over the weekend. My main issue with the plot is the two planet visits. It reminded me of Mass Effect, pointlessly visiting places just to tick some boxes. And the whole Dr. Mann sequence didn't work for me. I simply didn't want it to be that kind of movie. It was really sold as an 'ideas' film and I'm not sure it is. Yes, it gets you thinking about some profound concepts, especially in the final scenes, but it's ultimately a popcorn movie, with terrible dialogue, cardboard characters, terrible dialogue, plot holes, and terrible dialogue. But... I really like it. There's some breathtaking visuals and the score is great. Plus, I cried, a number of times.

I just finished rewatching Interstellar for the first time. It looks phenomenal on bluray. I wish more studios would drop 3D for action movies and just film in IMAX format.

I think I enjoyed the film more the second time around. I guess I didn't find the final act as jarring as I did the first time.

Imax are working on updating more theatres with their new laser projectors which can apparently project as good a picture as 70mm imax and they've new cameras to make use of these so I'd say more blockbusters will start using being like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have been watching Interstellar at home in the evenings over the last week, when wifey goes to bed. It's taken me a good few days as I watched surfers paradise three times, the docking scene twice, and repeated various other bits. I finished it last night, just before midnight so I'm suitably tired and have the soundtrack blaring in my head from the moment I woke up! Not that that's a bad thing seeing as the soundtrack is stunning.

Having watched it on the small screen, it's clear that neither time nor gravity is going to change how much I love this movie :) I'm actually really excited about watching those two key scenes again and I know I've said it before, but the whole docking scene, from where Mann gets into the Ranger and how the tension builds to when Coop finally docks, is just amazing.

It's still a 10/10 for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Just watched it last night.

One thing I didn't get was why Matt Damons character was trying to kill Matthew McConaugheys character ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Just watched it last night.

One thing I didn't get was why Matt Damons character was trying to kill Matthew McConaugheys character ?

I think it was because Cooper was going to leave the planet and get home, Prof Mann didn't want that to happen, thus kill the one remaining pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I think it was because Cooper was going to leave the planet and get home, Prof Mann didn't want that to happen, thus kill the one remaining pilot.

I think Mann didn't want Coop taking the shuttle, he wanted it to go on to Edmunds planet ..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Mann didn't want Coop taking the shuttle, he wanted it to go on to Edmunds planet ..

I think Mann wanted to go back to earth because he was a coward.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think Mann wanted to go back to earth because he was a coward.

I could be wrong, but didn´t he say just
    before he was blown out the airlock
    that he was taking over the mission and they would proceed to Edmonds planet ?

I could be wrong ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

I could be wrong, but didn´t he say just
    before he was blown out the airlock
    that he was taking over the mission and they would proceed to Edmonds planet ?

I could be wrong ..
    you are, coop told mann he was heading back to earth, that he had to head back, mann said his planet was viable, and played along so he could get rid of coop, and head to edmunds planet, he knew coop was never gonna go there,

mann was an selfish glory hunter, and wanted to be the savior of humanity, or at least the next generation of it,

dont even know why this debate has gone past 3 posts,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

finally watched this last week when I seen it was on sky premier. Excellent film, thought it started a bit slow, but when it got going got me really enthralled !! I will definitely watch it again soon. Great atmosphere , sound effects and cinematography

don ramo wrote: »
    you are, coop told mann he was heading back to earth, that he had to head back, mann said his planet was viable, and played along so he could get rid of coop, and head to edmunds planet, he knew coop was never gonna go there,

mann was an selfish glory hunter, and wanted to be the savior of humanity, or at least the next generation of it,

dont even know why this debate has gone past 3 posts,

Sorry ... youre right

Bump, saw this again on 70MM Dolby DTS sound ... still great ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Bump, saw this again on 70MM Dolby DTS sound ... still great ..

In Barcelona?

errlloyd wrote: »
    In Barcelona?

Yep indeed ..
    http://www.phenomena-experience.com/programacion.php

he is showing it on Sunday again - but I'll leave it till next years screening :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hans Zimmer is playing the 3Arena in May next year with the Interstellar score sure to play a big part!

Advertisement