Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sorry to bump but just watched this and, honestly, I don't understand what people see in it? It was nice to look at Jessica Chastain but other than that... Was fairly terrible?

I just dont get how this has got such universal acclaim and great ratings all over....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Well, I'm sure you'll get a good response with all those nuanced arguments and well made points regarding the bad points of the film.

Some reasons I liked it:
    - Decent sci fi plot which kept the science fairly hard (up until the last 15 minutes anyways)
    - Great visuals, audio and sountrack was really really good.
    - Cast - yep, pretty much all good, a few exceptions.
    - The sense of scale, the distance and time involved in their journey made me a little uncomfortable at times (and I'd see that as a good thing).

That's just off the top of my head.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It was nice to look at Jessica Chastain but other than that... Was fairly terrible?

You know, this probably sums up why you didnt like it better than anything we can say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

BMMachine wrote: »
    You know, this probably sums up why you didnt like it better than anything we can say

It's crazy she's not even that hot :D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

At least Interstellar was easier to follow than Inception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I enjoyed Gravity and really enjoyed The Martian but this was just a bit sh1t. There was good potential but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

J Mysterio wrote: »
    this was just a bit sh1t.

Lol, Would love to see your opinion on something truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Loved it.
    I thought it was great.

Sure, the plot was out there & it was annoying how Matthew Mahogany named his daughter after a pet dog.
    But I enjoyed it thoroughly

Screen-junkes did an amusing trailer for it:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I am a big Nolan fan and while this is an outstanding movie I think Matthew McConaughey was mis-cast as Cooper, didn't really find he had the emotional range for the role! Also found some the writing and dialogue clunky, an example is Brand is supposed to be a serious scientist but she comes out about love means something and that's why they should head for her boyfriends planet.
    So yes I do love the movie but it would be well down my top 10.
    I'm not sure what I think about his next movie Dunkirk, it will be interesting to see what us Nolan geeks will make of it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I think Matthew McConaughey was mis-cast as Cooper, didn't really find he had the emotional range for the role!

I am a grown ass man and actually shed a tear watching his face when he was driving away from his family. He was perfect in the role imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's a brilliant film with the best soundtrack since the LOTR trilogy.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I am a grown ass man and actually shed a tear watching his face when he was driving away from his family. He was perfect in the role imo

Thought he was perfect in the role myself. The scene with him watching 23 years worth of video messages from his kids who aged that much in the hour he was gone from the ship almost made me shed a tear myself.
    It's a brilliant film with the best soundtrack since the LOTR trilogy.

The score is a big part of it for me, Zimmer's best since Gladiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

Its Zimmer's best work since he did the theme tune to Going for Gold.

Interstellar is probably in my top 10. Perfectly made, with an amazing storyline. I heard on a science podcast (The Infinite Monkey Cage?) that the aim of the Nolan brothers was to keep the science as hard as possible, and as close to the most up to date scientific thinking on the nature of gravity, space-time etc. So, its more science than fiction, which is to be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I really wanted this film to have a more emotional kick than it did. If it had that then I would have loved the film but having just seen it the once, it was good. I must watch again some time but I have not been pulled back like other Nolan films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the film deserves praise for its scale and vision, I just thought its execution left a lot to be desired: too messy, with too many ideas fighting with each other leaving everything a bit ragged. Not Nolan's best work by a long shot imo.

On reflection, my brain did check-out somewhat after Anna Hathaway's character made her big speech about Love. To be fair, love was the primary theme of this film, head and shoulders above all the other Plot-Polyfilla: that it informs and empowers all our greatest achievements and that it might be our truest superpower, but that speech like the entire narrative ground to a halt just so a hitherto intelligent, rational character could hammer the audience over the head with a clumsy, adolescent metaphor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

It's probably the best sci fi movie ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's probably the best sci fi movie ever made.

Its certainly up there at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Ah now it's a good movie but nowhere near the best Sci fi ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ah now it's a good movie but nowhere near the best Sci fi ever made

It is though....it is most certainly near the best sci FI ever made. Name 5 better sci FI movies
    Blade runner
    Space odyssey
    Aliens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

pixelburp wrote: »
    On reflection, my brain did check-out somewhat after Anna Hathaway's character made her big speech about Love. To be fair, love was the primary theme of this film, head and shoulders above all the other Plot-Polyfilla: that it informs and empowers all our greatest achievements and that it might be our truest superpower, but that speech like the entire narrative ground to a halt just so a hitherto intelligent, rational character could hammer the audience over the head with a clumsy, adolescent metaphor.

As much as I adore this film, that speech always rankles with me. Any scientist worth their salt would never say what she says because its simply incorrect.

"We love people who have died. Where's the social utility in that?"

Sorry, Ann/Brand but that's patently false. We love people we know. People who have lived and are now dead. Nobody cares about their ancestors from two hundred years ago. Why? Because we never met them. We didn't know them and their existence is abstract to us.

But we still feel emotionally connected to people who die within our own lifetimes. Cooper is right in that it still boils down to social utility. She's a scientist. She should know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

MUUURPPPHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Coop whispering for the whole film

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I love this movie, but I can't decide if it's because of, or in spite of the Hans Zimmer score. It's memorable at least. It nearly blew my head in the cinema when I went to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dades wrote: »
    I love this movie, but I can't decide if it's because of, or in spite of the Hans Zimmer score. It's memorable at least. It nearly blew my head in the cinema when I went to see it.
    It's certainly used as a blunt instrument, loud and constant, which is probably more a criticism of Nolan and his editors rather than Zimmer. I can't think of a piece of film music from the past few years that's impressed me as forcefully as the docking scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The docking scene and the music is cinematic excellence. Every time I watch the movie I rewind to rewatch the scene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's worth noting as well that the music in the docking scene was mostly the creation of Nolan and his editors/mixers who cobbled it together from different cues after Zimmer had finished up. The actual cue Zimmer composed for that scene wasn't nearly as powerful as the one they mashed together.

Not to take anything away from Zimmer but Nolan makes him better.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maryjane1970

So was cooper dead when he went to see his daughter in the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So was cooper dead when he went to see his daughter in the hospital?

No. He's alive. It's all real.

I've read that the original script had Cooper die after sending the message back to Murph and the film just end with her eureka moment. Test audiences found it a bit dark so they went and filmed him being found and reuniting with Murph and going to find Brand. But its all real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's worth noting as well that the music in the docking scene was mostly the creation of Nolan and his editors/mixers who cobbled it together from different cues after Zimmer had finished up. The actual cue Zimmer composed for that scene wasn't nearly as powerful as the one they mashed together.

Not to take anything away from Zimmer but Nolan makes him better.

And from what I can remember is that the music from that scene wasn't on the soundtrack when first released, and not the exact track when it appeared on subsequent releases. Rights issues or something.

Advertisement