Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi guys,

If I buy a car in the North for my wife will they allow me put the invoice in her name?

If not, if I VRT the car in her name will she then be the registered owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Considering heading over to Luton on Tuesday to look at this. I think it's even worth the €25 return flight.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201909051907408

Vrt is around €1300 and assuming I got him down to £4k I'd be talking €5800 excluding travel and inspection cost. Can I do better or am I mad ? There's very few e90 320d autos for sale here so it's hard to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be asking if the chain has been replaced on that car and shown evidence of it as it's a peak year for timing chain problems on those engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

That will be the first question I'll be asking any sellers. I'm gonna look more into the 325d but vrt will defiantly be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

pablo128 wrote: »
    Can I register the car in my partner's name, or does she have to be present?

You can register it to your partner, you just need all their documents plus a letter from your partner giving authorisation for you to register it on her behalf if she is not at the appointment. Plus bring ID for you and her .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

If Fiscal Donohue increases vrt on Tuesday...budget day...does it go up from midnight Tuesday or is it the end of the year.If you have car in country but your vrt appointment is later in month is that just our tough luck? Thanks for any indicators

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mynameistom

I'd be very interested to know aswell. Surely it wont go up Tuesday night ?

anyone have any info on this ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mynameistom

Hi PaulKK,

Ive read your posts between 25/09 and 27/09

some questions if you dont mind or if anyone else would know .

whats this fund source verified ? didnt know about this, i presume its different to verifying account ?

So ive actually tranferred £3k to flippingcars on Tuesday but still doesnt seem to be recieved.

i thought it was roughly instant transfer regardless what account you have i.e. standard, premium or metal .
    is this not the case or whats the story ?

think i'll upgrade to premium or metal now anyway based on what people have been saying ?

can premium definetly be cancelled after you no longer need it ? i.e. when car is paid for ?

thanks a mill

P.S. hope nobody was supposed to be on a ferry today or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭deezell

I'd be very interested to know aswell. Surely it wont go up Tuesday night ?

anyone have any info on this ?

thanks
    On news there now it's just an extra charge on new cars for NOx emissions, up to €200 petrol cars, up to €300 On diesels. No indication of how used imports affected, I'm guessing not as it would then have to apply to all used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

If there's an increase it will happen January.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd be asking if the chain has been replaced on that car and shown evidence of it as it's a peak year for timing chain problems on those engines.
    Turbos on them no great shakes either. I've a 2008 520d with that N47 engine, brought in 2009. Fab car, but just fitted it's second turbo in 10 years, (€1300), and have yet to fit new dpf as the old one clogged beyond recovery. DPF delete not a good idea on these, they stink without it. Got chain done 4 years ago, can cost €1100-1600 depending on who does it and how you source the substantial parts kit. Most costly car I ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

deezell wrote: »
    On news there now it's just an extra charge on new cars for NOx emissions, up to €200 petrol cars, up to €300 On diesels. No indication of how used imports affected, I'm guessing not as it would then have to apply to all used cars.

Irish Times reports that "a new charge on all new petrol and diesel cars, as well as on used imports, is expected to be introduced in next week’s budget.... It would replace the 1 per cent VRT surcharge on diesel vehicles and would be paid on top of VRT"
    I'd be very interested to know aswell. Surely it wont go up Tuesday night ?thanks

Generally not immediate where such increases affect industry, so as to allow business to plan for increase future costs. Consumers they don't have as much regard for.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Just did VRT, pleasantly surprised that it was 240 euro less than revenue site quoted and yes I was sure I put in the exact model.
    Theres no hidden tricks with the paperwork, the appointment email is very clear about what you need, as are plenty of posters on this site. I saw one person there who didnt have proof of address sent away, and three other people came in with queries but they are so busy they will NOT deal with you without an appointment.
    It can be very difficult to get another appointment if you mess up so triple check everything, if you do you'll be grand, theres no magic to it really.
    2013 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Limited Edition 21000 miles, on the road here for 6600 including the transport cost from England. Bit of work involved but its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ok, have my car back in Ireland. Revolut card worked easy, but car was only €5k. Did people pay motor tax in the UK? Mine was £22 for the month but they haven't taken anything out yet. If i cancel the payment now, I technically have no UK tax. Does that matter at all now the car is in Ireland, both for going through a checkpoint or for sorting my VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ok, have my car back in Ireland. Revolut card worked easy, but car was only €5k. Did people pay motor tax in the UK? Mine was £22 for the month but they haven't taken anything out yet. If i cancel the payment now, I technically have no UK tax. Does that matter at all now the car is in Ireland, both for going through a checkpoint or for sorting my VRT?

I'd cancel it if you can... You'll be taxing it in Ireland for the month of October anyway, so your conscience will be clear ;-) .. Unless you go back across the pond, or up North. That's when you'll need the UK tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Came from Birmingham to holyhead without road tax last weekend had no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Have a developing situation but to flag to anyone as a warning. Purchased from an Audi approved garage last month, got dekra inspection, and all ok.

VRT appointment on Sat and tonight started to get my documents together. Looking at service records and noticed a higher mileage on a service report back in April than in the car when I bought it. Checked the MOT and it confirms the higher mileage from back in April.

Feeling pretty stupid not to have double checked.

You need to go after Dekra

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Have a developing situation but to flag to anyone as a warning. Purchased from an Audi approved garage last month, got dekra inspection, and all ok.

VRT appointment on Sat and tonight started to get my documents together. Looking at service records and noticed a higher mileage on a service report back in April than in the car when I bought it. Checked the MOT and it confirms the higher mileage from back in April.

What is the difference? Big or small?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I’m surprised the Audi garage didn’t spot that when they done their checks. A 2 min scan would have highlighted the mileage discrepancy straight away. I would talk to the garage and also to Dekra and see what they’re going to do about it. Did it not show up on any background checks?

• Advertisement

39k in April to 27k in Sept, so 13k plus the rest. Still within 30day period so will be speaking to the garage this morning.

Does anyone know what the VRT would calculate off?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

39k in April to 27k in Sept, so 13k plus the rest. Still within 30day period so will be speaking to the garage this morning.

The reading on the odometer in the car.

Hkvp

VRT is based on odometer, I'm wondering was the car set to Km back in April, hence the higher reading back then, 39k in Km would have been 24k in miles. I've seen that on NCT records of cars I've owned in the past, higher Km reading entered as Miles.

Hkvp
    VRT is based on odometer, I'm wondering was the car set to Km back in April, hence the higher reading back then, 39k in Km would have been 24k in miles. I've seen that on NCT records of cars I've owned in the past, higher Km reading entered as Miles.

Yeah it seems the most obvious reason, but only one owner and all other service records are in miles.

Hkvp

Yeah it seems the most obvious reason, but only one owner and all other service records are in miles.
    How many recorded services are there, is the high reading in April inconsistent with the increases over time.

Independent this morning says petrol/diesel to be hit with almost immmediate effect in Tuesdays budget....might he leave the vrt rates alone with an eye to brexit looking after simi and its pals on crash out day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

damemcd wrote: »
    Independent this morning says petrol/diesel to be hit with almost immmediate effect in Tuesdays budget....might he leave the vrt rates alone with an eye to brexit looking after simi and its pals on crash out day

Basically the same as each othe budget. In july, the Dept of Finance flagged that they expect WLTP based VRT to start July 2020.

How many recorded services are there, is the high reading in April inconsistent with the increases over time.

No not really, the opposite in fact - 19,000m in July 17 (April 16 car). So 39,000 by April 19 seems more logical.

What are the chances that both the Audi garage servicing it in April 19, and the MOT, would both record miles if it was kms at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

No not really, the opposite in fact - 19,000m in July 17 (April 16 car). So 39,000 by April 19 seems more logical.

What are the chances that both the Audi garage servicing it in April 19, and the MOT, would both record miles if it was kms at the time?

It is possible that the owner was messing with the dash and changed it to KMs and the lads servicing and MOT’ing presumed it was miles and didn’t spot it. To be fair it’s a know easy one to miss if your not looking for it. Previous owner could live had the car over here or in mainland Europe and needed the speed in KMs come up on the dash... I’m pretty certain that Audi wouldn’t take a car in that had been clocked and they would be in a prime position to tell if it was..

If you were doubtful call into an Audi garage and ask them to do a scan and see what mileage is actually on the car, they’ll tell you quick enough. If the car was clocked it’s unlikely they changed the reading in all the various control units it’s stored on, they usually only worry about the module that feeds the dash display. It might cost you 50 quid but at least you then have a cast iron case to go back to the seller.

• Advertisement

It is possible that the owner was messing with the dash and changed it to KMs and the lads servicing and MOT’ing presumed it was miles and didn’t spot it. To be fair it’s a know easy one to miss if your not looking for it. Previous owner could live had the car over here or in mainland Europe and needed the speed in KMs come up on the dash... I’m pretty certain that Audi wouldn’t take a car in that had been clocked and they would be in a prime position to tell if it was..

If you were doubtful call into an Audi garage and ask them to do a scan and see what mileage is actually on the car, they’ll tell you quick enough. If the car was clocked it’s unlikely they changed the reading in all the various control units it’s stored on, they usually only worry about the module that feeds the dash display. It might cost you 50 quid but at least you then have a cast iron case to go back to the seller.

Chatting the manager there so the original owner is of EU descent (name confirms this) and had asked for it switched to kms. Only ever serviced at same garage, who recorded it as miles by mistake. This would make sense with the 19,000 reading in July 2017. MOT carried out there as well.

When he traded it in, it was re-set to miles. The sales guy that sold him the new car confirmed he had to change it over to KM on that car as well.

Audi are preparing the paperwork to update databases with historic numbers all back to miles, and will send me confirmation when done.

Happy enough that it checks out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement