Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭deezell

dp639 wrote: »
    I am registering the car for someone else - my wife - do I need a signed letter of authorization from her - the revenue site says I do but the ncts site has no mention of this?
    Yes, and a couple of addressed id's, bank statement, driver licence etc. If your name is on the garage receipt, ferry invoice etc, you'll need to fill your details in on the middle part of the revenue form as purchaser, her details at the bottom as the reg. owner. Car insurance letter in her name, even with UK car reg, is not acceptable as ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

mickdw wrote: »
    So what's the story if you can't get a vrt appointment before brexit.
    Is it date of import that matters? Or would you be caught for any new charges that might be in place if a no deal happened?
    The problem is that no one knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

How do you tax the car ?

I'm picking up a car on Wednesday in England, the dealer has sent me photos of the v5c cert.

When I go to the UK tax site it is looking for the reg and the 12 diget ref number but it doesn't recognise it ? or in other words it keeps telling me to enter it

Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

How do you tax the car ?

I'm picking up a car on Wednesday in England, the dealer has sent me photos of the v5c cert.

When I go to the UK tax site it is looking for the reg and the 12 diget ref number but it doesn't recognise it ? or in other words it keeps telling me to enter it

Any ideas ?

Mmm I got it sorted after, for some reason the tax website doesn't seem to like chrome, works fine in internet explorer BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

How do you tax the car ?

Any ideas ?

The dealer can tax it there and then, and print off a receipt for you. That's what my dealer did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ELM327 wrote: »
    The problem is that no one knows

If it was imported while the U.K. was an EU member state then no VAT can apply. This is the case irrespective of the date of registration. It is not within the government’s competence to change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

How do you tax the car ?

Any ideas ?

ask the dealer if he will do it for you, (don't forget to get the original V5C

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

Budget implications on UK imports

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/budget-2020-new-emissions-tax-on-new-cars-and-used-imports-1.4043840

A new tax based on a vehicle’s nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions will be applied to new car purchases and used imports from January 1st, replacing the current 1 per cent diesel surcharge.

Used imports hit
    Using the NOx tax as a deterrent to those seeking to import a used diesel car from the UK could well prove effective.

For example, a 2013 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI (and the Golf is currently the most popular imported car) has NOx emissions of 118mg/km. That would incur a NOx tax charge of €1,510. Given that a 2013 Golf would currently be charged only €1,500 or so in terms of VRT when it’s imported, that may well prove a significant barrier to second-hand car shopping in the UK.

With other models, though, the impact will be minimal. For example, a BMW 520d executive saloon from 2015 (again, a hugely popular car among those importing from the UK) has rated NOx emissions of just 17mg/km, so would only be charged €85 in NOx tax. Equally, an Audi A6 2.0 TDI diesel saloon, also from 2015, has NOx emissions of 55mg/km, so while it will be a little more expensive, the total charge will amount to just €275.

For those seeking to find out what the NOx emissions are on a particular vehicles, things are a little complex. The only figure that really matters is the one on the certificate of conformity for the car you’re buying. That’s its birth cert, and that’s the final word on that car’s NOx emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is that 1510 on top of 1500 ?

I'd say the imposition of duties on top of vrt would be more of a hit. A double whammy actually. I think after Brexit, the glory days of buying a highly specced cheaper car from the UK will be obliterated.

• Advertisement

What are the age stats for imports? Can't be too many 6+ year old cars. Will this tax not be age related, as per vrt? SIMI won't be happy, it doesn't give them an advantage over private importers, which is all they really wanted.

The DVLA fuel consumption and emissions site will let you determine the NOx emissions for a particular car.
    Here it is for a June 2016 manual C Class 220d,

https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=795687

62 mg, meaning NOx charge of €330, but VRT reduction of 1% of OMSP, about 200 to 230, so overall about €100 more. The 1% VRT reduction is more beneficial on a newer car with higher OMSP, as the NOx charge is not age related apparently.
    NOx figures are on the V5C, in gm, so 62 is given as 0.062. Hopefully revenue won't demand an actual individual certificate of conformity, which can cost up to €200 to obtain. They don't for CO2, so should be straightforward.
    I'd worry in the future if they demand Real Driving Emissions NOx figures, but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Just done a quick calculation on a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium with 50,000 miles.
    NOx emissions 75mg.
    First 60mg €5 per mg.
    Over 60mg €15 per mg and over 81mg €25 per mg.

Vrt today €2131 at 16% omsp.

NOx tax for 75mg € 525.
    Minus 1% VRT surcharge € 1998.
    So total new VRT + NOx € 2523
    Difference € 392.

So an extra € 392 if the new NOx charge came today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looks like they have wiped out the hybrid vrt rebate for a lot of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

mgn wrote: »
    First 60mg €5 per mg.
    Over 60mg €15 per mg and over 81mg €25 per mg.

Where did you get this info? Can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭User1998

I read on revenue.ie that they would give 30 days after the 29th of Oct for people to VRT their cars without having to pay customs duty or whatever. The article has been deleted from Revenue, any ideas if this still applies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

I paid 1800 in VRT for my car last year, the same car will now cost a total of 4490 to register in Ireland :eek::eek: My car's Nox is 164 mg/km

The yoke I brought in has a nox level of 39. It has it on the v5.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 twigsirl

Where did you read that Mick, has that been updated somewhere? The Revenue page has an October 2nd review date and that says the rebate rates are valid until 31st December 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

One thing that's handy to do if anyone has a toll tag. Update your details before you go to your new English reg and bring your tag and some double sticks with you. Definitely worth bringing your phone mount and car phone charger too, my car has gps but turns out it's years out of date, I used google maps to get back. If you're buying from a dealer ask him to update that for you cos it's a pain in the hole doing it with some cars afterwards.
    Has anyone had a recent vrt appeal submitted? Waiting a few weeks now and no contact from them
    dp639 wrote: »
    Tried to book a VRT inspect just now, no slots are available in any centres and I'm now on a waiting list and told to keep an eye on my mail and phone.

Is this normal and should I just expect an appointment soon?

Thanks?

I applied 5 days ago online for Dublin. Told no appointments and to call a number. Call that said I'd take anywhere in Dublin or Naas. I was put on a waiting list. 2 days ago I got an email saying I got a place on 25th October in Dublin.
    Just want to get an irish reg at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

Cienciano wrote: »
    One thing that's handy to do if anyone has a toll tag. Update your details before you go to your new English reg and bring your tag and some double sticks with you

Thanks for the tip

Heading on Friday to collect. Are you saying the English reg will work on the tags, and will work on the UK toll booths? Mines an Eflow tag

EDIT: I can't see how I can use the eflow tag in the UK anywhere?
    https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/myaccount/my-vehicles-tags/tags/where-can-i-use-my-eflow-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

flanzer wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip

Heading on Friday to collect. Are you saying the English reg will work on the tags, and will work on the UK toll booths? Mines an Eflow tag

I dont think it would work on the UK booths but would recognize the UK reg of Irish tolls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

gwalk wrote: »
    I dont think it would work on the UK booths but would recognize the UK reg of Irish tolls

Yeah, just rang them there. It won't work in the UK, but will in Ireland on the UK reg. Also found out that PHEVs get discounts on the tolls here, with fully EV getting even more of discount!!

I won't get the discount though for a 330e, until it's on Irish plates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

flanzer wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip

EDIT: I can't see how I can use the eflow tag in the UK anywhere?
    https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/myaccount/my-vehicles-tags/tags/where-can-i-use-my-eflow-/
    As they confirmed, it's just for Ireland. There's not too many toll roads in the UK, you probably won't come across any on your journey back. Just handy to have if you come back here. I had the Drogheda toll and m50 toll on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crazyman79

crazyman79 wrote: »
    Had VRT appointment today. Used VRT calculator before going in and got the exact car model, version, spec, mileage etc and got the amount of VRT payable. Have to wait to hear back from revenue as the car is under 2 years old and told revenue need to do a manual calculation for the car. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so did it differ much from the revenue VRT calculator amount? Surely if you get the exact model and the exact details the amount payable should be correct?

Hi all,

Got VRT quote(exact same as the revenue calculator) , have paid it and have the new Irish Reg on the car. Many thanks for all who contribute to this thread. Very very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

twigsirl wrote: »

Where did you read that Mick, has that been updated somewhere? The Revenue page has an October 2nd review date and that says the rebate rates are valid until 31st December 2019.
    There is another thread in the EV section here where it is mentioned re grants that hybrids must have more than 50 km EV range to qualify for grants.
    I would have assumed that this would also mean the vrt rebate would be stopped but other poster now seem to be of the opinion that the rebate won't be affected.
    It's not something I'd gamble on either way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Hi guys

Can someone give me definite advice as i'm getting confusing information about what should be the most straightforward of imports.

I intend to buy a car from a big VW dealer in Southampton. It has a Des Walt warranty but there is confusion about whether that warranty would work in Ireland as that is where the car will be based (there is also 7 months of manufacturers warranty left on it also so if Des Walt didn't work at least there's something)
    Get NVD to bring it to Cork (quoted €425+VAT) so this seems to have gone up a good bit from what previous posters said. (275+VAT)
    When it lands in Cork my insurance company will arrange cover on the UK plates for up to 30 days. I intend to drive it away on the UK plates with my Irish insurance until the NCTS apt.
    I understand about the NCTS apt within 7 days and pay up the VRT within 30.

Where I'm a bit confused is how will i get the correct paperwork off the dealer and what if anything does the dealer need to send to the UK DVLA. Lots of confusing and misleading articles online about this. I know there is a V5C form that i will need for the NCTS apt but does the UK dealer need to do anything with this form or a section of the form or should i just do the whole thing myself? I presume the dealer can just pop the form into the car for me. I've asked the dealer and they're clueless about it. As it would be going on a transport truck in the UK I assume I don't need to worry about tax in the UK etc. I presume from the time its put on the truck until its unloaded in Cork it would be insured by NVD?

Any advice on the above would be great and also the Des Walt / warranty

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

corklad32 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Can someone give me definite advice as i'm getting confusing information about what should be the most straightforward of imports.

I understand about the NCTS apt within 7 days and pay up the VRT within 30.

Where I'm a bit confused is how will i get the correct paperwork off the dealer and what if anything does the dealer need to send to the UK DVLA. Lots of confusing and misleading articles online about this. I know there is a V5C form that i will need for the NCTS apt but does the UK dealer need to do anything with this form or a section of the form or should i just do the whole thing myself? I presume the dealer can just pop the form into the car for me. I've asked the dealer and they're clueless about it. As it would be going on a transport truck in the UK I assume I don't need to worry about tax in the UK etc. I presume from the time its put on the truck until its unloaded in Cork it would be insured by NVD?

Any advice on the above would be great and also the Des Walt / warranty

Thanks guys

You need the full V5C - or the first page in full. The dealer may or may not send of the 'for permanent export' section on the 3rd page to DVLA. Have them take a pic of the V5C and send it you as well. Will the truck driver get the V5C fro you or is the dealer sending (post) it to you? Under no circumstance should the dealer send of the 'new owner' section to the DVLA - you will be stuck with a car that you will not be able to register here in Ireland then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Debub wrote: »
    You need the full V5C - or the first page in full. The dealer may or may not send of the 'for permanent export' section on the 3rd page to DVLA. Have them take a pic of the V5C and send it you as well. Will the truck driver get the V5C fro you or is the dealer sending (post) it to you? Under no circumstance should the dealer send of the 'new owner' section to the DVLA - you will be stuck with a car that you will not be able to register here in Ireland then

Thanks for the reply. So, it's not important for the dealer to send the 'for permanent export' section to DVLA, only if they want? As i wont be there in person I guess there's nothing that needs to be signed by me there and then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement