Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today's rain is really struggling to make it as far as Dunshaughlin in Meath. 2 hours ago the rain looked not far away, currently the rain is still about the same distance away, continuing to move northwards about 10 miles to my west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today's rain is really struggling to make it as far as Dunshaughlin in Meath. 2 hours ago the rain looked not far away, currently the rain is still about the same distance away, continuing to move northwards about 10 miles to my west.

It's not in Arklow yet either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

endainoz wrote: »
    It's more of a west of Ireland thing, St John's night was once a pagan festival, one of many the Catholic Church hijacked as their own. Dublin only do it on Halloween because that's the pale for ya!

They do a brilliant St John's festival in Alicante and the surrounds which kicks off the real summer season or the "silly" season as many call it as it's when temps start to go right up and the crowds arrive en masse. Was glad to come home just before it and prefer early June there as it's generally much quieter.

Graces7 wrote: »
    woefully wild, wet, windy out here; the leafy greens will live to grow another day as not about to get soaked.

Did get a short walk in before this got set in but only 2 of the cats came...

Home grown leafy greens sounds just the thing.:) Perfect with new spuds this time of year. Another homely thing that I look forward to when coming back from Spain.

But back to the weather. Lashing down in Tralee. Having got my fix of sun I'm grand with it but certainly would not be if I hadn't got away.

Such a shame that we generally have to get away for a dose of proper heat and sun. What bliss when we do get it at home amidst the home comforts.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

acequion wrote: »
    They do a brilliant St John's festival in Alicante and the surrounds which kicks off the real summer season or the "silly" season as many call it as it's when temps start to go right up and the crowds arrive en masse. Was glad to come home just before it and prefer early June there as it's generally much quieter.

Home grown leafy greens sounds just the thing.:) Perfect with new spuds this time of year. Another homely thing that I look forward to when coming back from Spain.

But back to the weather. Lashing down in Tralee. Having got my fix of sun I'm grand with it but certainly would not be if I hadn't got away.

Such a shame that we generally have to get away for a dose of proper heat and sun. What bliss when we do get it at home amidst the home comforts.:)

Glad you are feeling happier!

Friday.. or was it Thursday> was perfect for me; warm enough but not too warm. Old age has taken my ability to cope with heat. Lived deep rur al so many years I just adapt to whatever comes. Totally weather dependent out here.
    Not been out of Ireland these score of years.
    Stay happy!

and still deluging here.. west mayo offshore island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Looks like cork city be clear at 6 by the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Very light rain has now arrived in north Dublin city. It's 15.7C here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Light drizzly rain here in South Dublin has more of a balmier feel to it then two weeks when it felt cold and wet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No let up in the rain in Castlebar since 07.00 this morning and it has been light to moderate but persistent, just over 15mm so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sunny and warm with just a few small white fluffy clouds in Galway at the moment. 23c in a gentle but refreshing breeze.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Sunny and warm with just a few small white fluffy clouds in Galway at the moment. 23c in a gentle but refreshing breeze.

I’ll have what youre smoking please Patrick!!

• Advertisement

Heavy loud rain out here now;i rather enjoy being snug listening to it. A peaceful, restful rhythm

west mayo offshore island, where all is now invisible except a border of ocean beyond the dwelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Having the craic LOL Just drove in two hours of rain West to East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The very definition of a soft Summer's day in Lucan at the moment.
    Strangely enough though, there's a bit of warmth in the air despite the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Heavy rain in Dublin 5. tapering off now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭appledrop

Torrential rain here in North County Dublin. We were at the cinema, then came out and were like ' What the F**k' All the roads have little streams running down them as rain so heavy in short space of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ME going with isolated thunderstorms for the week and drying up. Might get that sunny warm weather after all thanks to high pressure toppling in. We shall see but more hope with finding a storm now than serious possibility unless signs change back. Hunters should find something nice for themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Graces7 wrote: »
    Glad you are feeling happier!

Friday.. or was it Thursday> was perfect for me; warm enough but not too warm. Old age has taken my ability to cope with heat. Lived deep rur al so many years I just adapt to whatever comes. Totally weather dependent out here.
    Not been out of Ireland these score of years.
    Stay happy!

and still deluging here.. west mayo offshore island

I love your spirit Graces.:) You really have a brilliant attitude, fair play to you!

acequion wrote: »
    I love your spirit Graces.:) You really have a brilliant attitude, fair play to you!

Just glad to be alive at an age when so many I knew are long gone... Every day is a treasure in spite of illness and constant pain. and it is so lovely here.

was out for a long gentle walk at soon after 4.30, Quite lovely out there, with lowering clouds but dry . with all five cats.. Am adding to my weblog; address on the weblogging forum and my home page here as else not allowed.

All very quiet and peaceful out there and sweet wild air. Dark low clouds after heavy rain in the night. So mild now. Not a scrap of malice in the weather. And the ocean takes the humidity away. it was changing as we got home; midges and pollen emerging and no wind to dilute them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MT's forecast reads a lot like the hot spell last year.. Irish Sea keeping the east coast a long way down where the top temps are concerned.

I suppose with the expected levels of humidity such heat could be rather uncomfortable so maybe something in the middle will be more pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

lawred2 wrote: »
    Lol

I lived in Cork City for a decade after growing up in the North of the county and never once heard of a bonfire night in June.

But then here you go

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/community/community-initiatives/bonfire-night.html

No idea how that passed me by entirely.

Only bonfire night I was aware of was in the UK on the 5th November.

You must of lived in a cave mate never heard of bonna night and lived there for 10 years ha

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

No sport on and crap weather.. wish it was winter!

mean gene wrote: »
    You must of lived in a cave mate never heard of bonna night and lived there for 10 years ha

Well I suppose some of the places I lived in just after graduating could nearly have been classified as caves...

I never saw one of those fires around my neck of the woods anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As good as 26 hours straight of rain in Castlebar, over 30mm now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Xenji wrote: »
    As good as 26 hours straight of rain in Castlebar, over 30mm now.

And miserable morning so far

The rain last night was unreal. Started around 10pm + haven't heard the likes of it in years. It was pounding off the windows. Just had a look there at data + 7.4mm of rain fell in an hour at Dublin airport which is a lot. I think they are dreaming with high temperature s this week. Another horrible misty morning and 14 degrees.

• Advertisement

Total rain fall for yesterday was 19.6mm at Dublin airport. Miserable but at least I didn't feeling guilty going to cinema with that weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pauldry

Saying 18 to 22c on weather but should say "cooler and cloudier over the Northern half of Ireland with light rain"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

appledrop wrote: »
    Total rain fall for yesterday was 19.6mm at Dublin airport. Miserable but at least I didn't feeling guilty going to cinema with that weather!

Just over 14mm here mid west region. Ground has a lot of soakage to do before we will get flooding tbh

interesting - must check the water butt when I get home. Must be full to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The skies need to clear to get some heating going if we want to see thunderstorms later. Are we in for a grey damp squib this week? I'm not ruling it out.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    interesting - must check the water butt when I get home. Must be full to the top.

Yep + another 3.2 fell after midnight so will be counted in today's rainfall. It really was unreal rain.

Not a grey damp squib but a slow warming in Northern Half today.
    Temp in Sligo gone DOWN to 13c now.

18c in South

But Met Eireann will claim correctness when its 18c in Sligo at 10 PM!!

Met eireann haven't a clue. Can we have the experts on here give us their interpretation of what will happen this week? Have the predicted models changed + are we just in for normal temperatures now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Anyone else get the feeling that this is all about to go pear shaped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

Met eireann haven't a clue. Can we have the experts on here give us their interpretation of what will happen this week? Have the predicted models changed + are we just in for normal temperatures now?

Why are you saying they haven't a clue? ME haven't been ramping up the heatwave IMO. That's only been done by people here.

This week was never forecast to be totally dry with wall-to-wall sunshine. The opposite almost.

Yes they have. Met eireann have predicted 18-22 degrees today not going to happen. They say odd scattered shower tomorrow+ 19-23 degrees. Then basically according to them Wed-Fri warm + sunny each day with 20-27 degrees Thurs + Fri.

I bet in an hour it will be updated + changed.

That's the national forecast issued at 9.44 today on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Vertical rain hopping off the ground. Dublin 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What an unbelievable cloud burst!! :eek:
    It looks like places only a km or two away from me didn't get a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yes they have. Met eireann have predicted 18-22 degrees today not going to happen. They say odd scattered shower tomorrow+ 19-23 degrees. Then basically according to them Wed-Fri warm + sunny each day with 20-27 degrees Thurs + Fri.

I bet in an hour it will be updated + changed.

It’s already 18-19 degrees here? So I’d say it’s already happened.

• Advertisement

Yes the 18 to 22 will happen its just that it will be evening when those Maxes occur.

It could get higher than the predicted 27c on Thursday but it all depends on cloud cover in "particular" stations.

e.g a clear day in Belmullet with few showers will hardly breach 27c but in MT Dillon or Shannon it might.

Id go for 28c being the top .

I though there was going to be a mini contest.

Its gone UP to 15c in Sligo

Ya can keep yer 41c France. Though we will prob see those temperatures in the 22nd Century

Still only 15 in Dublin. I'm sick of this June weather in Dublin. Looks like west getting good weather but not us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

feels as warm as it has been so far this year in Dublin right now, to me anyway. Humid. Feels nice to walk around in now that the rain is gone.

How is it warm? Only 16 degrees in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

feels warmer than that, and given we've had highs of 11 and 10c lately it's positively balmy

I suppose it's all relative. Saturday only high of about 17 degrees in Dublin but I thought a brilliant day as once I have the sun I'm happy. These overcast days I never feel warm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

18 degrees now in Cork City, feels very heavy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Horrible couple of days in the west. That low grey cloud with mist that would get you down.

Looking at google weather there is no temperature above 23c predicted for this week.
    More like the average is 16 - 21 with frequent showers and cloudy weather.

What are the predictions for July? The first 3 days I see are 16c with cloud.

Looking at MT's forecast the start of July doesn't look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No wind makes it feel warmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Getting very sultry now in Kildare with the sunshine. Dp near 19c

Advertisement