Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's official now all bonfire events organised by Cork County Council have been cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's official now all bonfire events organised by Cork County Council have been cancelled
    Hardly surprising really when you look outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

It’s a great night really and they are getting better at keeping it under control. There are organized community events now in togher park, knocknaheeny, Mahon and other communities and it’s actually a really great community event in which people usually wouldn’t meet up! It may also be more a city then county thing! I think dublin do it on halloween? Stand to be corrected though

It's more of a west of Ireland thing, St John's night was once a pagan festival, one of many the Catholic Church hijacked as their own. Dublin only do it on Halloween because that's the pale for ya!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still holding onto dryness here in Meath, rain doesn't look too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Lashing rain in Achill, plenty of dark fast moving clouds passing. Need just a 30 minute break to get doggy out. He hates rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing since about 8 am here in cork city and still going strong. Was gonna burn all my notes tonight too! Darn

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's an absolutely miserable day here in cork city and no signs of it stopping. I suppose the Corpus Christi parade will go ahead but it'll be a small crowd if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A very wet and dull morning in Castlebar, 12.8C and 94% humidity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at the temperatures in my area since June 1st and June the 1st is still the warmest day of the month so far with a recorded high of 19C, yesterday maxed out at 18C which was also one of the warmest days of the summer so far.

This week should see the highest temperatures of June so far, easily beaten in most places. Next Thursday to Saturday looks to be the warmest days with cooler temperatures from Saturday evening with temperatures possibly reaching 24C on Thursday and Friday in my area. Further west higher temperatures are possible, 27s and 28s could happen in decent spells of sunshine.

Once the Spanish plume has left us, temperatures still don't look too bad running into the first week of July with temperatures remaining high teens to possibly 20 or 21C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

endainoz wrote: »
    It's more of a west of Ireland thing, St John's night was once a pagan festival, one of many the Catholic Church hijacked as their own. Dublin only do it on Halloween because that's the pale for ya!

they do it in catalonia also,tis a great night in Barcelona,i guess they like to put theyre two fingers up to madrid.

• Advertisement

Today's rain is really struggling to make it as far as Dunshaughlin in Meath. 2 hours ago the rain looked not far away, currently the rain is still about the same distance away, continuing to move northwards about 10 miles to my west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today's rain is really struggling to make it as far as Dunshaughlin in Meath. 2 hours ago the rain looked not far away, currently the rain is still about the same distance away, continuing to move northwards about 10 miles to my west.

It's not in Arklow yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

endainoz wrote: »

They do a brilliant St John's festival in Alicante and the surrounds which kicks off the real summer season or the "silly" season as many call it as it's when temps start to go right up and the crowds arrive en masse. Was glad to come home just before it and prefer early June there as it's generally much quieter.

Graces7 wrote: »
    woefully wild, wet, windy out here; the leafy greens will live to grow another day as not about to get soaked.

Did get a short walk in before this got set in but only 2 of the cats came...

Home grown leafy greens sounds just the thing.:) Perfect with new spuds this time of year. Another homely thing that I look forward to when coming back from Spain.

But back to the weather. Lashing down in Tralee. Having got my fix of sun I'm grand with it but certainly would not be if I hadn't got away.

Such a shame that we generally have to get away for a dose of proper heat and sun. What bliss when we do get it at home amidst the home comforts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

acequion wrote: »
    They do a brilliant St John's festival in Alicante and the surrounds which kicks off the real summer season or the "silly" season as many call it as it's when temps start to go right up and the crowds arrive en masse. Was glad to come home just before it and prefer early June there as it's generally much quieter.

Home grown leafy greens sounds just the thing.:) Perfect with new spuds this time of year. Another homely thing that I look forward to when coming back from Spain.

But back to the weather. Lashing down in Tralee. Having got my fix of sun I'm grand with it but certainly would not be if I hadn't got away.

Such a shame that we generally have to get away for a dose of proper heat and sun. What bliss when we do get it at home amidst the home comforts.:)

Glad you are feeling happier!

Friday.. or was it Thursday> was perfect for me; warm enough but not too warm. Old age has taken my ability to cope with heat. Lived deep rur al so many years I just adapt to whatever comes. Totally weather dependent out here.
    Not been out of Ireland these score of years.
    Stay happy!

and still deluging here.. west mayo offshore island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Looks like cork city be clear at 6 by the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Very light rain has now arrived in north Dublin city. It's 15.7C here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Light drizzly rain here in South Dublin has more of a balmier feel to it then two weeks when it felt cold and wet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No let up in the rain in Castlebar since 07.00 this morning and it has been light to moderate but persistent, just over 15mm so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sunny and warm with just a few small white fluffy clouds in Galway at the moment. 23c in a gentle but refreshing breeze.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Sunny and warm with just a few small white fluffy clouds in Galway at the moment. 23c in a gentle but refreshing breeze.

I’ll have what youre smoking please Patrick!!

• Advertisement

Heavy loud rain out here now;i rather enjoy being snug listening to it. A peaceful, restful rhythm

west mayo offshore island, where all is now invisible except a border of ocean beyond the dwelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Having the craic LOL Just drove in two hours of rain West to East

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The very definition of a soft Summer's day in Lucan at the moment.
    Strangely enough though, there's a bit of warmth in the air despite the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Heavy rain in Dublin 5. tapering off now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

Torrential rain here in North County Dublin. We were at the cinema, then came out and were like ' What the F**k' All the roads have little streams running down them as rain so heavy in short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ME going with isolated thunderstorms for the week and drying up. Might get that sunny warm weather after all thanks to high pressure toppling in. We shall see but more hope with finding a storm now than serious possibility unless signs change back. Hunters should find something nice for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Graces7 wrote: »
    Glad you are feeling happier!

Friday.. or was it Thursday> was perfect for me; warm enough but not too warm. Old age has taken my ability to cope with heat. Lived deep rur al so many years I just adapt to whatever comes. Totally weather dependent out here.
    Not been out of Ireland these score of years.
    Stay happy!

and still deluging here.. west mayo offshore island

I love your spirit Graces.:) You really have a brilliant attitude, fair play to you!

acequion wrote: »
    I love your spirit Graces.:) You really have a brilliant attitude, fair play to you!

Just glad to be alive at an age when so many I knew are long gone... Every day is a treasure in spite of illness and constant pain. and it is so lovely here.

was out for a long gentle walk at soon after 4.30, Quite lovely out there, with lowering clouds but dry . with all five cats.. Am adding to my weblog; address on the weblogging forum and my home page here as else not allowed.

All very quiet and peaceful out there and sweet wild air. Dark low clouds after heavy rain in the night. So mild now. Not a scrap of malice in the weather. And the ocean takes the humidity away. it was changing as we got home; midges and pollen emerging and no wind to dilute them .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MT's forecast reads a lot like the hot spell last year.. Irish Sea keeping the east coast a long way down where the top temps are concerned.

I suppose with the expected levels of humidity such heat could be rather uncomfortable so maybe something in the middle will be more pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

lawred2 wrote: »
    Lol

I lived in Cork City for a decade after growing up in the North of the county and never once heard of a bonfire night in June.

But then here you go

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/community/community-initiatives/bonfire-night.html

No idea how that passed me by entirely.

Only bonfire night I was aware of was in the UK on the 5th November.

You must of lived in a cave mate never heard of bonna night and lived there for 10 years ha

Advertisement