Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat has gone missing. **UPDATE! She's home :D**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just a thought. Are there any short term rentals air bnb near you? I am sure my girl got locked in one when it closed, or was taken and left there. I emailed a few and had no reply but it was then she appeared..

I don't think so but thank you for the suggestion. I would think she is far to nervous to enter another house and there is sooooooo much vegetation around here that actually cocoons the heat, I was surprised how warm it was when searching through it :o

I was agonising over whether a black cat that was killed 2km from here was here or not and I found out today that it was actually someone's older pet which is also sad of course. Since I found out that wasn't her I don't feel *quite* as upset.

A few people have also told me they will leave out food incase she wanders into their garden which is extremely kind

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Any sign of your cat Sheepdish1 ? My lady is still missing nearly 2 weeks now. Fingers crossed she turns up.

Any sign of your cat Sheepdish1 ? My lady is still missing nearly 2 weeks now. Fingers crossed she turns up.

No sign of her yet😣 I have come to the conclusion she won’t come out to me when I call her so I’ve ordered a nature trail camera so hopefully it will spot her but there’s so much vegetation where I live so maybe I’m wasting my time 😭

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    No sign of her yet😣 I have come to the conclusion she won’t come out to me when I call her so I’ve ordered a nature trail camera so hopefully it will spot her but there’s so much vegetation where I live so maybe I’m wasting my time 😭

I’m sorry to hear your cat is missing too. It’s worse than an animal becoming sick or passing away (i find that anyway!) I hope you are ok. Do you find your always looking out for her and every time. Say neighbours think I’m mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

I’m sorry to hear your cat is missing too. It’s worse than an animal becoming sick or passing away (i find that anyway!) I hope you are ok. Do you find your always looking out for her and every time. Say neighbours think I’m mad

To hell with the neighbours,guys!! You gotta do what you gotta do.

OP, I thought of you so much yesterday when my kitty decided to have herself an outing for the whole day! That's totally out of character as she's a homebird and loves her comforts, so as evening came on all frosty and chilly, I got very panicked and set off around the neighbourhood calling her. Like you,I'm sure the neighbours were rolling the eyes,but I wasn't bothered. I searched all over and not a trace. Eventually, around 10.30 last night, she appeared at the window demanding immediate admittance :rolleyes: Very relieved.

But as I searched and searched without a sign,I thought of your story and completely empathise with how frustrating and upsetting it is.It really is the big risk we take by letting them out. But as I said before, we must let them live their little lives.And despite the risk that she might some day not come back and I'd be broken hearted,I still want her to have her happy little cat's life.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    To hell with the neighbours,guys!! You gotta do what you gotta do.

OP, I thought of you so much yesterday when my kitty decided to have herself an outing for the whole day! That's totally out of character as she's a homebird and loves her comforts, so as evening came on all frosty and chilly, I got very panicked and set off around the neighbourhood calling her. Like you,I'm sure the neighbours were rolling the eyes,but I wasn't bothered. I searched all over and not a trace. Eventually, around 10.30 last night, she appeared at the window demanding immediate admittance :rolleyes: Very relieved.

But as I searched and searched without a sign,I thought of your story and completely empathise with how frustrating and upsetting it is.It really is the big risk we take by letting them out. But as I said before, we must let them live their little lives.And despite the risk that she might some day not come back and I'd be broken hearted,I still want her to have her happy little cat's life.

I’m really That your cat turned up🙂 yes it’s incredibly frustrating. At the start I was searching 3-4 hours each night which has now been reduced to 30 minutes a day . Searching for more than that is not sustainable as I found I was becoming too exhausted and just don’t have the spare time to do more than that at this stage.

What is most frustrating is there is an area 20 metres from my house that is not safe to access so she could be in there as it’s extremely overgrown.

I suppose I’m trying to take the positives out of this. I’ve gotten to know some really nice people that are being kind, I’ve also learned that cats behave completely differently than I thought when missing so hopefully what I’ve learned will help other people recover their lost cats 😣

I’m really That your cat turned up�� yes it’s incredibly frustrating. At the start I was searching 3-4 hours each night which has now been reduced to 30 minutes a day . Searching for more than that is not sustainable as I found I was becoming too exhausted and just don’t have the spare time to do more than that at this stage.

What is most frustrating is there is an area 20 metres from my house that is not safe to access so she could be in there as it’s extremely overgrown.

I suppose I’m trying to take the positives out of this. I’ve gotten to know some really nice people that are being kind, I’ve also learned that cats behave completely differently than I thought when missing so hopefully what I’ve learned will help other people recover their lost cats ��

Out of interest OP,what have you learned about how missing cats behave?

Fingers crossed for you that the nature trail camera will help in that extremely overgrown area.

Out of interest OP,what have you learned about how missing cats behave?

Fingers crossed for you that the nature trail camera will help in that extremely overgrown area.

Yes hopefully it will help but there are foxes living in it so hopefully they are leaving her be.

What I've learned:-
    Indoor cats tend to be *very* close by their house and too frightened to venture.
    When indoor/ outdoor access cats don't come home a lot of the time something has caused this, eg getting into a fight , spooked, lost, injured. Most are found within 100 metres of their home.

When displaced cats are injured or sick they go silent mode. It is a survival instinct that kicks in to protect them from predators. This can be bad searching for them as some very nervous or scared cats won't always respond to you like they usually would as the survival instinct can over ride them recognising or coming to you, which seems quite different to most lost dogs.

So how a cat behaves when displaced will depend on its personality - mine is extremely nervous so the most difficult to find.

Most will hide for 7-10 days if they really scared. Cats don't simply run away as I previously thought as they are very territorial.

Also learned that the most productive way to get back a lost cat is by physically searching areas near house first. So if it happened again I would have searched sooner and more thoroughly before contacting shelters / printing posters etc.

They are quite resourceful at surviving. Also I learned that vegetation is a lot warmer than you would think :D

I also learned GPS trackers work well but I didn't have one on her:(

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Indoor cats tend to be *very* close by their house and too frightened to venture.
    When indoor/ outdoor access cats don't come home a lot of the time something has caused this, eg getting into a fight , spooked, lost, injured. Most are found within 100 metres of their home.

Also learned that the most productive way to get back a lost cat is by physically searching areas near house first. So if it happened again I would have searched sooner and more thoroughly before contacting shelters / printing posters etc.

They are quite resourceful at surviving. Also I learned that vegetation is a lot warmer than you would think :D

(

Sorry to hear about your cat. Hopefully she will turn up. We once had an indoor/outdoor tabby who went missing totally out of character, 5 days no sign we searched everywhere then opened the utility one morning and there he was in his bed as if nothing happened. There was building work going on near us and the thinking was he got locked in as he had bits of cement/dust on him.

What you say about indoors staying close is so true. Recently one of our indoors managed to get out an upstairs window when it was dark. When I went to get her she jumped/fell ( using one of her 9 lives in the process ) onto the driveway and ran off. We searched up and down the road called her, no sign. Then after a while noticed our current indoor/outdoor tabby sitting staring at the bushes by the drive. When I went to look here are two bright eyes looking out at me from the foliage. She hadn't even left the property but no way would she come on calling her 'til we found her.

Here's hoping that your little one turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

One of our two cats is now missing for the third morning in a row.

They are outdoor, country cats.

Simon, who’s missing is a big, lazy, neutered male who rarely misses meals.

The other one was also missing this morning but she regularly does a disappearing act so not too concerned.

I think I’ll take a couple of hours off work this evening and do a bit of a search before dark.

• Advertisement

One of our two cats is now missing for the third morning in a row.

They are outdoor, country cats.

Simon, who’s missing is a big, lazy, neutered male who rarely misses meals.

The other one was also missing this morning but she regularly does a disappearing act so not too concerned.

I think I’ll take a couple of hours off work this evening and do a bit of a search before dark.

I'm sorry to hear yours is missing too :( A few people that I've seen on that lost and found pages have been reunited with theirs at this stage so I am very happy for them, they were spotted by people in different towns so I'm trying to be optimistic. Although mine is so nervous she'd be mistaken for being feral so don't think she'll approach people for food.

Yes, you're right to look for her, it would be good to try and get it in before fireworks. On a good note there aren't as many fireworks as there used to be which I'm happy about this year :D

As far as I can see they are usually quite close to house and if they disappear every now and then I say they are well equipped to survive. We have had cats that would come and go as they pleased and always came home . I hope you find yours too

I say fireworks noise will make my little cat run even further if she's still alive. its very frustrating:confused:

I wonder would foxes attack cats? There are quite a few foxes around in the area I think she is. I wouldn't think so as the risk is probably too high? What do you guys think ?

Some weeks back I googled about foxes attacking cats and from I read the incidence of that is very low. If you google it you'll come across the same stuff I read, which would seem reassuring. But I'm no expert so hopefully somebody more informed will post in here and give you a better idea.

Why is that area you mention so inaccessible OP? Is it some kind of very overgrown wood? Does nobody have access in there? It must be so frustrating to have a place near your house where your little cat may be and not be able to access.

Some weeks back I googled about foxes attacking cats and from I read the incidence of that is very low. If you google it you'll come across the same stuff I read, which would seem reassuring. But I'm no expert so hopefully somebody more informed will post in here and give you a better idea.

Why is that area you mention so inaccessible OP? Is it some kind of very overgrown wood? Does nobody have access in there? It must be so frustrating to have a place near your house where your little cat may be and not be able to access.

Thank you, I looked up info and it said its quite rare thank you :) I can access it to a certain extent but most of it is too dangerous to walk on or search through and its not safe to go in at night time. I never knew it was there until a few weeks ago and a lot of people wouldn't I would imagine as its difficult to get into and rightly so. Always thought it was just a little woods.

But its a fenced wooded area after a about 20 meters in its a huge amount of discarded trees, vegetation, soil , bushes , plants branches that over years that has been piled on top of each other that makes a mound. I tried to walk on it a few weeks ago and the ground is quite unsteady and someone could very easily fall through and get stuck or injured. It's like a raised bog.

I say there's a lot of animals living in there which is great is loads of hiding spaces but its to dangerous for a human to go on. Its *extremely* overgrown with giant thorn bushes and tangled branches etc. It is basically big gigantic ditch hidden away in the corner of a field that I never knew existed. It's quite bizarre that its there at all and very deflating as its just so huge and deep.

I'm going to set up a nature trail camera but I think I am clutching at straws

• Registered Users Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm going to set up a nature trail camera but I think I am clutching at straws
    I have one here that you're welcome to borrow if you want. I got it for the same reason as you a few years ago but unfortunately without success. You'd have to collect it in Bray though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I worder if you tried shining a powerful torch in there after dark, would you see any bright eyes looking back at you?

Alun wrote: »
    I have one here that you're welcome to borrow if you want. I got it for the same reason as you a few years ago but unfortunately without success. You'd have to collect it in Bray though.

Thank you, I may take you up on this offer. I have one arriving tomorrow but it could be handy to use another one too. I’m sorry to hear it wasn’t successful for you. Did you find the picture quality good ?

Thank you, I may take you up on this offer. I have one arriving tomorrow but it could be handy to use another one too. I’m sorry to hear it wasn’t successful for you. Did you find the picture quality good ?
    It was ok in daylight, but at night it depended a bit. If the subject was too close to the camera the infra red LEDs were too bright and the pictures were washed out.

I worder if you tried shining a powerful torch in there after dark, would you see any bright eyes looking back at you?

Yes I’ve done this many times but thanks. It’s tricky for me to go into the area as it’s not safe to go on my own. I was hoping this would happen but the only thing I saw close to the area was a Fox as they have a slightly orange tint (I think.) the really dense part is impossible to access or even see through with a torch as it would be far too dangerous as ground is not solid in parts. It’s like a raised bog. I’m actually very surprised it’s there at all in terms of health and safety.

I’ve actually been surprised that cats eyes don’t light up as much as I thought. I thought they would reflect much stronger than they do and the torch I’m using is heavy duty.

It was ok in daylight, but at night it depended a bit. If the subject was too close to the camera the infra red LEDs were too bright and the pictures were washed out.

I have a feeling that if she’s alive she’s moving around at night and hiding during the day, but if she’s in the wooded area she could be out during the day as it’s away from people etc ?

Do you mind me asking how long did you keep searching for your cat before you decided that it was enough? I’m getting to that stage now as it’s exhausting but hoping the camera will see something

Do you mind me asking how long did you keep searching for your cat before you decided that it was enough? I’m getting to that stage now as it’s exhausting but hoping the camera will see something
    It's difficult to say really. She went missing a good way away from where we live (long story!) so we couldn't go searching every day. Same kind of situation to you really, she disappeared off into some very dense woodland, but was seen once the day after in a nearby field trying to catch a pigeon. That was the last we saw of her. We saw plenty of other wildlife on the cam .. pheasants, foxes, other cats but not ours. I guess after 3 or 4 months we'd resigned ourselves to not seeing her again. I suppose I secretly hope she shacked up with someone else in the area but of course I don't really know.

• Advertisement

It's difficult to say really. She went missing a good way away from where we live (long story!) so we couldn't go searching every day. Same kind of situation to you really, she disappeared off into some very dense woodland, but was seen once the day after in a nearby field trying to catch a pigeon. That was the last we saw of her. We saw plenty of other wildlife on the cam .. pheasants, foxes, other cats but not ours. I guess after 3 or 4 months we'd resigned ourselves to not seeing her again. I suppose I secretly hope she shacked up with someone else in the area but of course I don't really know.

I’m sorry she didn’t turn up for you. I have a feeling that it will be that way for me too but at least we know we tried our best. Mine is black so there’s so many cats I’ll hsve to rule out!

It’s good she was seen hunting, cats are very resilient so I’ve been told so sounds like she was able to feed herself.

I was speaking to someone that told me if there are feral cats in the area that sometimes pet cats join these. Sounds a bit far fetched but I like this idea. There are so many posters of my cat in my area she looks like she’s running for the election 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

"There are so many posters of my cat in my area she looks like she’s running for the election"

She'd get my number 1!

Seriously, don't give up hope! I've lost count of the times mine pull this stunt. And then show up like"What? Didn't I forget to tell you I'd be away for a month? Where's me dinner?"

Sardonicat wrote: »
    "There are so many posters of my cat in my area she looks like she’s running for the election"

She'd get my number 1!

Seriously, don't give up hope! I've lost count of the times mine pull this stunt. And then show up like"What? Didn't I forget to tell you I'd be away for a month? Where's me dinner?"

Hopefully that is the case with mine too! I made the most of the election here and went up and put her posters at the entrance so plenty of people saw it. It is Quite tricky using cable ties in the cold :-D

In an *unbelievable* stroke of good luck today my little cat was spotted as I drove into a carpark today!!!! She was roughly 1km from where she escaped and was quite distressed when I found her but started to recognise me when I sat down and called her, got a twig and played with it and she came out of the bush and sniffed me and came over :D:D I scooped her up in the carpark and started crying, someone say me and probably thought I was nuts :D:D:D

She extremely underweight, weighs less than 2 kilos but hopefully will be ok after her ordeal. She was so distressed and I am so grateful that we managed to get her back - I just can't believe how lucky we are.

She didn't fair out too well in the wild is skin and bone but hopefully there is no long term damage. All her fat stores and muscle has been used as she must not have been able to find food but she somehow managed to survive.

I am astonished with the stroke of good luck. I usually don't park where I did and only parked there as I was reminded by someone yesterday I needed to set up a direct debit. I can't believe it !! Thanks so much for all your kind word and support through out the last few weeks, I just can't believe she's home!! She is quite anxious as shes hungry but I have to wean her slowly back onto food:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That is the BEST news ever :D
    I've been checking this thread every day, and was worried for your little lady on this of all days... The very day she got to go home!
    Fantastic news sheepdish... Feckin thrilled for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Delighted for you. I don't post much but was keeping an eye on this. Fantastic news. I'm lying in bed smiling for you both. Brill.

DBB wrote: »
    That is the BEST news ever :D
    I've been checking this thread every day, and was worried for your little lady on this of all days... The very day she got to go home!
    Fantastic news sheepdish... Feckin thrilled for ya :D

Thank you , she is literally all over us and meowing nonstop until she is picked up:D I honestly have never seen an animal behave so happy, it is incredible:D

Yesterday someone let of a huge banger outside my house and my heart started to sink every time i heard screamers etc as I felt that tonight would have sent her further from where she was. I usually love the run up to Halloween but felt so horrible at the thoughts of one pf my pets not being inside and safe.

Time to order the gps tracker as I can't go through that again. I don't know who is more exhausted...me or the cat :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

That's great to hear that your cat is back. Maybe get her checked by the vet, and keep her indoors now!

Cats are funny. I had a big guy a few years back: he had diabetes, and disappeared once for weeks. My wife was sure he was dead, but I never gave up on him, I always said to her he'll be back "he's too much of a pig to miss his meals for too long!". Sure enough, one night I looked through the blinds and he was in the back garden staring up at the window, looking very gaunt but alive. Vet thinks he may have been in a diabetic coma; I think he died but he broke the rainbow bridge crossing it because he was so big, and they sent him back to life while they repaired it :pac:

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Delighted for you. I don't post much but was keeping an eye on this. Fantastic news. I'm lying in bed smiling for you both. Brill.

thank you :D She is sitting curled up on lap. I had only gone out and put more posters up on Sunday in a last ditch attempt to find her!! Its just a stroke of luck that I pulled into the car park. I wonder if she recognised the sound of my car engine pulling in?? Why else would she have come out as she was so scared :eek:

Poor thing, I was only down there last weekend having drinks, I actually walked home calling her from that pub :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 MegX

Great you found her safe & sound. Plenty of tlc & she soon be back to herself.

Advertisement