Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat has gone missing. **UPDATE! She's home :D**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Alun wrote: »
    Usually they end up being bitten on their rear ends near the base of the tail, like our poor old neutered 16 year old cat was yesterday. Luckily we spotted some odd behaviour in her early on and took her to the vets on time.
    We had a similar experience at the end of the summer, though at the other end of the age scale. Some brute had a go at our petite 9-month old, and left a nasty rip on her hind quarters. We didn't notice the infection for a couple of days. The vet gave us a fair old bollicking for not getting her in earlier for antibiotics and the cone of shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, poor old Buffy has been, not to put too a fine point on it, quite brutally 'raped' on 4 or 5 occasions. Once so badly that she had several puncture wounds on her hind quarters, was bleeding from her back end, and stinking of tomcat urine. It was horrible. On all occasions though it was very obvious it had happened and the she went to the vet immediately. We never did find out who the culprit was but there's a few tomcats around and I suspect many if not all of them are still intact. makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, poor old Buffy has been, not to put too a fine point on it, quite brutally 'raped' on 4 or 5 occasions. Once so badly that she had several puncture wounds on her hind quarters, was bleeding from her back end, and stinking of tomcat urine. It was horrible. On all occasions though it was very obvious it had happened and the she went to the vet immediately. We never did find out who the culprit was but there's a few tomcats around and I suspect many if not all of them are still intact. makes my blood boil.

The number of kittens advertised is appalling. As I have room. I was seeking needy cats on donedeal. Inundated.

Seems very few are bothering to fix their cats. Same as collies too. dozens free to good homes and you can get vouchers to spay collies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Delighted to hear about your little pet. It has quite sgamed me into thinking I must put a few signs up in my area - I have a visiting cat that has taken to miaow-ing demandingly til I open the door/window for her & then s/he snoozes on top of the radiator and often refuses to leave until I.literally have to bribe her out to go to work the next day. Feeling guilty seeing how panicked and upset you were. Happy ever after to you and your GPS pet! Lovely to hear of a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Delighted to hear about your little pet. It has quite sgamed me into thinking I must put a few signs up in my area - I have a visiting cat that has taken to miaow-ing demandingly til I open the door/window for her & then s/he snoozes on top of the radiator and often refuses to leave until I.literally have to bribe her out to go to work the next day. Feeling guilty seeing how panicked and upset you were. Happy ever after to you and your GPS pet! Lovely to hear of a happy ending.
    You have been adopted!

But yeah, definitely try and find her owner. I'm very lucky in that I live in a cat friendly neighborhood but the downside to that is when others let them in an feed them etc. sometimes they decide they prefer the neighbors place to home. My ginger tom decided to move in with a neighbor for about 6 months! Eventually he decided to move back home.

His sister has an allergy which effects her skin and this requires regular medication to keep it at bay. When she was very young, about 6mo she disappeared for about a fortnight and I thought she was a gonner. She reappeared on my kitchen window sill one evening crying in an awful state with her fur falling out in clumps! I reckon someone had taken her in and when her skin flared up they kicked her out thinking it was something nasty like mange.

Sometimes people get a cat and just like with dogs, they get sick of them after a while and just stop looking after them, which might be the case with your little visitor.

• Advertisement

I have a political situation here just now... As I had space etc I have acquired three needy little cats. So many around now

My big cat is appalled, shocked, outraged. HOW DARE I !

Once previously when I was feeding a semi-feral, he left home . Took refuge with a neighbour.....

Lest he think he is going to do the same here, he will need to rethink as we are so few folk on the island and they all know where he lives...

Last night in the storm I had to go out with a torch and bodily bring him in, whereupon he spent an hour glued to the door, crying piteously as the kittens raced up and down. He weighs around two stone but is a total wuss, bless him.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You have been adopted!

But yeah, definitely try and find her owner. I'm very lucky in that I live in a cat friendly neighborhood but the downside to that is when others let them in an feed them etc. sometimes they decide they prefer the neighbors place to home. My ginger tom decided to move in with a neighbor for about 6 months! Eventually he decided to move back home.

His sister has an allergy which effects her skin and this requires regular medication to keep it at bay. When she was very young, about 6mo she disappeared for about a fortnight and I thought she was a gonner. She reappeared on my kitchen window sill one evening crying in an awful state with her fur falling out in clumps! I reckon someone had taken her in and when her skin flared up they kicked her out thinking it was something nasty like mange.

Sometimes people get a cat and just like with dogs, they get sick of them after a while and just stop looking after them, which might be the case with your little visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have a political situation here just now... As I had space etc I have acquired three needy little cats. So many around now

My big cat is appalled, shocked, outraged. HOW DARE I !

Once previously when I was feeding a semi-feral, he left home . Took refuge with a neighbour.....

Lest he think he is going to do the same here, he will need to rethink as we are so few folk on the island and they all know where he lives...

Last night in the storm I had to go out with a torch and bodily bring him in, whereupon he spent an hour glued to the door, crying piteously as the kittens raced up and down. He weighs around two stone but is a total wuss, bless him.

lol :D:D

acequion wrote: »
    lol :D:D

and now I am chewing my fingers as he is still out there! Next time I get him in THAT IS IT! Full house arrest... pawcuffs, the lot ;)

There is the old house along this dwelling and he will be in there fast asleep ! |He knows exactly what he is doing...

I would so love to adopt a little rescue kitty or two but my girl just wouldn't have it. Ironically she's a very sociable cat with both man and beast and when she goes to the cattery [as I'm away a fair bit] she's the life and soul of the place. But wow is she territorial and possessive when it comes to her house and her people! I'e seen her chase other cats out of the garden,even out of the street.:(

I would so love to adopt a little rescue kitty or two but my girl just wouldn't have it. Ironically she's a very sociable cat with both man and beast and when she goes to the cattery [as I'm away a fair bit] she's the life and soul of the place. But wow is she territorial and possessive when it comes to her house and her people! I'e seen her chase other cats out of the garden,even out of the street.:(

Takes a careful while to get them happy together. A new kitten would soon smell of HOME to her. Cats from other places are different..
    There are all kinds of ways to get them happy together. I have seen this so many times over the years; that magic moment when the older resident starts grooming the little ones.

donedeal is awash with kittens but no way would I take a tiny. These three are older, one under a year, the other two over a year.

• Advertisement

OP,how's your little girl doing these days? I think of her sometimes these dark, wintry nights and how delighted you must be to have her home,all safe and cosy. Hope she has made a full recovery at this stage. Have you let her out since? Any progress on the tracking collar?

You mentioned in one of the posts that she's chipped. I don't have mine chipped. Should I, do people think?

Ruraldweller56, any sign of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Ruraldweller56, any sign of yours?

Nothing yet I'm afraid. Still hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Hi Sorry I haven't seen this thread in a while ! Yes she is fattening up really well :) She seems to be quite anxious to be fed *all the time* and is scavenging constantly , she must be scared of going hungry again! She has put on 1.3 kg in the last few weeks which is brill.

A few people have been in touch with me re their missing cats and they still haven't turned up for them, we are *incredibly* lucky. I really do feel for them as it was awful not knowing what happened to her.

I would strongly recommend chipping , worming and getting her boosters as although mine wasn't able to feed herself I was thankful she had these. In relation to chip , it really is *so* important to get them chipped......if your cat goes missing, which they do, it is a must so people can identify her. At this time of year they can accidentally be transported in engines, etc. Imagine if she was found in another town and the finders couldn't get her back to you. I read somewhere 90% of cats missing that are not chipped don't get reunited.

Nothing yet I'm afraid. Still hopeful.

I'm sorry you haven't found yours yet:( How long is it missing now?

Also, in relation to the tracker, I have bought a Tractive one suitable for cats. It has a safety release collar and can pin point to within a couple of meters of where the cat is which is brilliant.

I know it may seem OTT that I am getting one but it was so cheap and subscription is cheap too. I wouldn't get it for my other cat but I think my cat actually has something up with her vision or she is just not the brightest :D

I am only getting it because my cat would be quite vulnerable compared to your average cat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Just googled your device. Seems to be the perfect solution.:)

If it keeps you sane and your cat safe it’s worth it anyway. Would have loved to have this kind of gear some ten years ago. When i had six little kittens the mothers uncle thought he would be responsible for alimony and left home.:rolleyes:

It took me a month of nightly roaming the neighborhood till i found him just in a courtyard 100m from home. He had a nice address tag attached which read:

„Please call us under **1234**. Your cat is visiting us since a month and eats all the food of our own cat. Which is hiding behind the vcr when yours is showing up.“:pac:

This ended in a long friendship with my neighbors and me visiting them every second day for nearly a year to fetch my cat.

P.s.Would you mind to post a little pic of your escapee?:D

I'd love to see a pic of her too OP :) but you might feel that it compromises your privacy and I fully understand that.

My cat does wear a collar with my phone number on it but until reading about your situation I never thought about getting her chipped. I must discuss it with my vet. My little one is quite tough and street wise and seems extremely smart and quick on the uptake so she has never given me much cause for worry. She only ever seems to hang out on her own street but as a big little hunter,spends ages in wooded areas. We live in a town but this area is quite wooded.

Just googled your device. Seems to be the perfect solution.:)

If it keeps you sane and your cat safe it’s worth it anyway. Would have loved to have this kind of gear some ten years ago. When i had six little kittens the mothers uncle thought he would be responsible for alimony and left home.:rolleyes:

It took me a month of nightly roaming the neighborhood till i found him just in a courtyard 100m from home. He had a nice address tag attached which read:

„Please call us under **1234**. Your cat is visiting us since a month and eats all the food of our own cat. Which is hiding behind the vcr when yours is showing up.“:pac:

This ended in a long friendship with my neighbors and me visiting them every second day for nearly a year to fetch my cat.

P.s.Would you mind to post a little pic of your escapee?:D

That is so funny 🀣 yeah I don’t have the time to be out looking for her if she escapes again in the future, literally my evenings and weekends were spent looking through bushes / sheds / posters!!

I’ve tried to post a picture of her but it isn’t uploading

here is a picture of what she is typically doing all the time :-D

her eyes are this dilated most of the time. They don’t seem to constrict properly but they make her extremely cute, she can see but struggles going from dark to light rooms :) she’s very cute

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oh, she's soooo adorable!!!! Look at those eyes!!! :)

New Home wrote: »
    Oh, she's soooo adorable!!!! Look at those eyes!!! :)

She is a lovely natured little thing too, there’s something kind of special about her, she follows me around the house when I’m here and meows if she’s excluded in a different room!

Aww she's an absolute little darling :):):):) No wonder you love her so much. It really is marvellous that she survived and that you got her back.

Do you let her out these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

What a little cutie! Thanks a lot.:D

With the tracker you will probably have a new hobby anyway. :P

Reminds me of my late Baghiera. She was all black with a white chest and four white socks. I couldn’t miss her in the night. Four white dots at high speed to welcome me.:D

Aww she's an absolute little darling :):):):) No wonder you love her so much. It really is marvellous that she survived and that you got her back.

Do you let her out these days?

Oh no, she's a house cat now, she was very traumatised and just didn't fend well enough to be allowed out again. She hasn't shown too much interest in going out. Out of habit she goes out the door if someone leaves it open but her tail puffs out like a toilet brush so I would be scared she'd be spooked and lost again :D:eek::eek:

LOVE happy endings! Thank you

I was told at least one of my new intake is microchipped

Although mine are safe here, as this is a small island almost bare of cats and everyone knows mine...

One of the new ones changes personality when she is let out; they were street cats and she reverts. Stays out all night etc. Keeping her in a while to see if she will settle down.

When I opened the door earlier, three cats filed in like kids in school !

Am enjoying them hugely

Graces7 wrote: »
    LOVE happy endings! Thank you

I was told at least one of my new intake is microchipped

Although mine are safe here, as this is a small island almost bare of cats and everyone knows mine...

One of the new ones changes personality when she is let out; they were street cats and she reverts. Stays out all night etc. Keeping her in a while to see if she will settle down.

When I opened the door earlier, three cats filed in like kids in school !

Am enjoying them hugely

Sound like a great little bunch to come visiting.:)

Would hugely enjoy them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Great cat OP. Glad you got it back.

I spotted my own critter running around in the local village.

Need to try and nab it

Need to try and nab it

Cheeky cat! REALLY! Happy hunting

• Advertisement

Need to try and nab it

Oh that's great news that the little creature is alive and well. :)

Advertisement