Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat has gone missing. **UPDATE! She's home :D**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had a cat a few years ago who went missing for 10 months. We honestly had him written off, even got two new kittens in the meantime. Then one day as I was getting ready for school, there he was sitting on the kitchen windowsill waiting for his breakfast as if nothing ever happened!! It’s terrible when the go missing, but don’t give up hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    6 weeks, that is so long , they must be better equipped for survival than we think:D

exactly! I was in Kerry and remembered reading something way back about some folk with a second home who had "taken in" in a cat that came near, then left it behind when they went home.." we hope it will be alright. "

So it was maybe that, OR, as she was utterly skinny , been trapped in an empty place and shot out when someone went in.

There were maybe mice in there?

I will never ever forget the day I heard her! She has a very distinctive cry. Thought I was dreaming then I saw a black shape way down the lane... Raced in, shaking, got a tin and a spoon, rattled them and she came nearer and nearer and nearer until I grabbed her." You are never going outside again!"

Fed her but it came back; she was emaciated, so it was rice and chicken in tiny amounts. She sat on my chest and "talked" all night. Very emotional.

So hang on in there and check all empty places? I emailed a few and it was maybe that that got her freed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What area are you in?

I suspect there is a lost/trapped/dumped/slightly stupid cat between our back yard and the neighbours. It must not be able to get out either side and is driving our dog crackers the last few nights.

Are you by any chance North Strand in Dublin? If so, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

spurious wrote: »

I suspect there is a lost/trapped/dumped/slightly stupid cat between our back yard and the neighbours. It must not be able to get out either side

Please, Spurious even if it’s not the OP’s cat, it might belong to someone equally worried so if you can help it become unstuck, please do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Baybay wrote:
    Please, Spurious even if it’s not the OP’s cat, it might belong to someone equally worried so if you can help it become unstuck, please do.

We have a plan in action. We have fed it and kept the nutty dog inside much to his disgust. Later today I will take the dogs out and my partner will try get the cat to run through the house and away.

Hoping. No mention of any missing cats in the area but I think a feral cat would have made short work of nutty dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

spurious wrote: »
    We have a plan in action. We have fed it and kept the nutty dog inside much to his disgust. Later today I will take the dogs out and my partner will try get the cat to run through the house and away.

Hoping. No mention of any missing cats in the area but I think a feral cat would have made short work of nutty dog.

I’m not based in the north strand but thank you for being so kind to an animal that isn’t yours.

I’m hoping someone comes across her like you. There are very kind people and due to posters / leaflets / social media I say I lot of people are keeping an eye and ear out for her.

I feel very frustrated with the situation as I’ve tried so hard to find her. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

I met my dad earlier and told him she still hasn’t come home and he said “ah sure , she won’t be back at this stage, she’s gone!”

I was actually going to put a tracking collar on her but decided against it incase she got caught and strangeled.

She did have a collar but I took it off as she used to get her jaw caught in it and would not have been able to move. That was a quick release collar and it still happened.

I do regret not putting a tracker on her though but it there is a risk it could have caught and strangeled her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I’m not based in the north strand but thank you for being so kind to an animal that isn’t yours.

I’m hoping someone comes across her like you. There are very kind people and due to posters / leaflets / social media I say I lot of people are keeping an eye and ear out for her.

I feel very frustrated with the situation as I’ve tried so hard to find her. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

I met my dad earlier and told him she still hasn’t come home and he said “ah sure , she won’t be back at this stage, she’s gone!”

I was actually going to put a tracking collar on her but decided against it incase she got caught and strangeled.

She did have a collar but I took it off as she used to get her jaw caught in it and would not have been able to move. That was a quick release collar and it still happened.

I do regret not putting a tracker on her though but it there is a risk it could have caught and strangeled her.

Don't give up yet. My local Cat Rescue had a Facebook post today about a cat that was found after several weeks 12 km from his home.

Any news OP? Hang on in there..

Still no sign of kitty but I 100% know that my neighbours think I am absolutely barking mad at this stage as they see me out calling her searching through bushes asking the bin men etc if they've seen her :D:D there is a language barrier too so I probably look quite crazy :D There are more posters for my cat around here than for Micheal D Higgens :D:D

People are so kind though , I've had a few phone calls about cats but they haven't been her so far but its so nice to know that people are looking out for her. I am not optimistic at this stage but I am trying to be grateful for the time she was here :(

Fingers crossed she will turn up, I was only saying last week that we could have her for another 15 years, I think I jinxed her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Still no sign of kitty but I 100% know that my neighbours think I am absolutely barking mad at this stage as they see me out calling her searching through bushes asking the bin men etc if they've seen her :D:D there is a language barrier too so I probably look quite crazy :D There are more posters for my cat around here than for Micheal D Higgens :D:D

People are so kind though , I've had a few phone calls about cats but they haven't been her so far but its so nice to know that people are looking out for her. I am not optimistic at this stage but I am trying to be grateful for the time she was here :(

Fingers crossed she will turn up, I was only saying last week that we could have her for another 15 years, I think I jinxed her :(

Location please. I have a stray cat.

• Advertisement

Location please. I have a stray cat.

Hi there, what colour is your cat please ?

Hi there, what colour is your cat please ?

Black and grey

Black and grey

Would you mind posting a picture of it please I can’t attach an image from this device 😣

Would you mind posting a picture of it please I can’t attach an image from this device 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Both cats above are just typical, wandered off from home and their probably being searched for by worried stressed owners, meanwhile the cats look like they are on holidays - not a care in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

One of our farm cats disappeared for about 4 weeks, arrived back fairly skinny, hung around for a week to be fed back up, and has now wandered off again. I'm hoping he'll be back for food before the fireworks start up...

I really hope your cat turns up soon OP. I can't stand the feeling of not knowing where they are. :(

Thank you, neither of those are my cat😢

I wouldn’t be worried if it’s my other cat as I know she’s able to hunt / find shelter etc however the one that has gone missing is scared of wind and rain and terrified of people.

She was only out when supervised or out for 30 minuets max with me calling her to make sure she’s nearby. I would hear magpies chattering too so knew she was in garden as they avoided it....

Even when I give her a treat she doesn’t see me dropping it and seems to struggle with scent. Someone else let her out and she was out for too long and has literally just vanished with no sightings 😣 maybe a Fox has taken her, having dreams about her a lot.

It sounds silly but I’m heartbroken over it even though it’s “just a cat”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sheepdish1 wrote:
    It sounds silly but I’m heartbroken over it even though it’s “just a catâ€

I understand completely. It is not 'just a cat'. They worm a very special place in your heart.

A change in the weather may bring her home, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thank you, neither of those are my cat��

I wouldn’t be worried if it’s my other cat as I know she’s able to hunt / find shelter etc however the one that has gone missing is scared of wind and rain and terrified of people.

She was only out when supervised or out for 30 minuets max with me calling her to make sure she’s nearby. I would hear magpies chattering too so knew she was in garden as they avoided it....

Even when I give her a treat she doesn’t see me dropping it and seems to struggle with scent. Someone else let her out and she was out for too long and has literally just vanished with no sightings �� maybe a Fox has taken her, having dreams about her a lot.

It doesnt sound silly, she's not 'just a cat' pets become apart of the family, youre entitled to feel sad.
    She may show up yet, my cat was terrified when we found him as a little kitten, he wouldnt come near us for weeks, we left scraps of food around the place to keep him fed. Hopefully someone is doing the same for your cat, if she's being fed somewhere its likely she'll hang around, she could be hiding out in someones shed or back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

i have a cat who wanders off for up to 2 months at a time. found her as a stray kitten and she's neutured etc. anyhow the first time she did this i had her written off after 2 weeks...convinced she'd had it...and then about 4 weeks in, she turns up back home..nonchalent as you like ...now years later it's a common thing for her to be gone for weeks and weeks on end. i've seen her run into neighbours gardens up to a half mile from my house so i'm convinced she's adopted another family (or two) and when she gets fed up with them she comes back home ( for a while anyway).

of all the pets you can have, cats are the most resilient, so don't worry about yours going hungry or thirsty or finding shelter. they're well capable of surviving on their own. fingers crossed yours turns up at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Thank you, neither of those are my cat��

Even when I give her a treat she doesn’t see me dropping it and seems to struggle with scent. Someone else let her out and she was out for too long and has literally just vanished with no sightings �� maybe a Fox has taken her, having dreams about her a lot.

Oh you poor thing of course you're heartbroken and I really feel for you. You're worried about the little pet because you've no idea what's happened and that's perfectly understandable.

But if something has befallen kitty you would imagine you'd find the body or somebody else would, as you've made it known locally she's missing. I get that you're worried about foxes but how possible is that? Personally I've never come across it. So it really is very feasible that somebody has taken her in. Maybe knows you're looking but doesn't want to give her back!! If you only knew she was safe and well you wouldn't worry, though you'd still miss her.

I have the fingers tightly crossed. I would so love to hear you've got her back or got some news.Hang in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Keep searching, OP. I know you're on top of posters, but hammer your social media too. Your personal pages, post on local buy and sell pages, community groups, any local page with a lot of followers.

My cat was missing for three months a few years back and was found 10km from where he went missing. Don't give up hope, the little devils a good head for survival.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057487928/1/#post96871815

OP lighting a candle here for your little one and thee

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Hope you get sorted out and your cat returns. I'm in the exact same boat at the moment. We moved from the town to the countryside about 2 months ago and she cried all night the first night we came. Big change for her from what she's used to. This is her first time going missing since we've moved. We got a dog a few weeks ago that she's not so keen on but hey ho. Anyway I'm quietly optimistic both will return safe and sound.

Still no sign of her, I've given it my all physically searching for her but feel that if she was near I would have heard her calling at this stage, unfortunately my gut is telling me she is not coming back:(

I'm usually quite positive but I have to move on from it now as I know she's not coming back and I'm putting too much time into searching for her now and it's making me very upset as I keep expecting her to dart over to me like she has thousands of times before. I gave her a happy little life in the time that she was here, she was special to me and I'm so upset I have to be grateful for what I have.

My BIG regret is not putting a tracking collar on her.....have told family this so they can put one on their pets if they want to. This could have all been easily avoided if I just got one for her and didn't put it on the long finger so I am quite annoyed at myself over that:mad:

Lesson learned the hard way. I just can't believe how upset I am over it and if anything it will give me more empathy to how upsetting it is when something like this happens to someone's pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Sheepdish1 wrote:
    My BIG regret is not putting a tracking collar on her.....have told family this so they can put one on their pets if they want to. This could have all been easily avoided if I just got one for her and didn't put it on the long finger so I am quite annoyed at myself over that

If it's any consolation I was thinking of putting one on my cat so just put a normal collar on for him to get used to it, after him coming home for the 4th time without a collar I realised he wouldn't keep one on so don't beat yourself up. I'm so sorry you're little one hasn't appeared home yet, hopefully something will come out of the posters and social media x

Just a thought. Are there any short term rentals air bnb near you? I am sure my girl got locked in one when it closed, or was taken and left there. I emailed a few and had no reply but it was then she appeared..

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Ah don't be worried, mine goes away for days, always comes back, he is a wild one we found but comes in now at night. As a few have said check outbuildings and anywhere he may be locked in . Ours used to be in neighbours for days they even got a collar for him thinking he was wild.
    He will turn up ,check old buildings and woods in any near.

• Advertisement

If it's any consolation I was thinking of putting one on my cat so just put a normal collar on for him to get used to it, after him coming home for the 4th time without a collar I realised he wouldn't keep one on so don't beat yourself up. I'm so sorry you're little one hasn't appeared home yet, hopefully something will come out of the posters and social media x

Thank you, that is true even if it had a collar they are prone to releasing. Its strange I am going from being heartbroken to being optimistic from day to day but have to stop beating myself up as I gave her a very happy and comfortable life when she here

Advertisement