Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat has gone missing. **UPDATE! She's home :D**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Hoboo wrote: »
    Time to build a catio!!

100% not an option for me unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Don't give up hope, the little devils have a good head for survival.

;)

Delighted for you, OP. I've checked this thread a few times since so am so happy this had a happy ending. Give the wee 'un a pet from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER!!
    I've been following since I seen it as I've had a cat go AWOL for a couple of months before but wasn't hoping for a positive outcome after a couple of weeks.
    So, so, so, glad you're reunited with pusscat :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Woop Woop OP, what fantastic news. What a lucky little putty tat! I’m delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Delighted for you and the cat ! Great news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think we have to demand a photo at this stage!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

OH, I'M SOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!! :):):)

I know its such a good outcome, the sheer luck of being there at that time was incredible :D its just incredible as i live in quite a busy town!! plenty of building etc !I walked by bushes in my estate that I had been searching in and the landscapers where digging them up , if I saw that a couple of days ago I would be freaking out :eek:

Seeing things like bin lorries loading bins was also not nice and don't get me started on people setting stuff on fire :eek::pac:

She is chuffed but following and meowing at me non stop, say she is just hungry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I know its such a good outcome, the sheer luck of being there at that time was incredible :D its just incredible as i live in quite a busy town!! plenty of building etc !I walked by bushes in my estate that I had been searching in and the landscapers where digging them up , if I saw that a couple of days ago I would be freaking out :eek:

Seeing things like bin lorries loading bins was also not nice and don't get me started on people setting stuff on fire :eek::pac:

She is chuffed but following and meowing at me non stop, say she is just hungry :D

She's reminding ya to get that GPS tracker so she doesn't have to prove a point again :D

She's reminding ya to get that GPS tracker so she doesn't have to prove a point again :D

Yes , that is something I am researching at the moment:D There seems to be a lot of them that only show within 200ft but I need something that shows e where she is within a couple of meters but am getting great feedback about one in particular as its quite lightweight!

I am getting loads of adds for it but that is because I have been on lost and found pages so just want to find out if it will actually work and then I'll post here.

I also need to decide whether I want a quick release collar or one that can't come off at all which has risks but she isn't much of a climber as she tends to aim towards things, misses and falls back down :D

For now she has to be locked in her crate when anyone is coming in or out for door even for second. When there are visitors she'll be in it too as I have her crate trained so she doesn't find it stressful thankfully !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Dying to hear the updates on trackers. I have one on my doggy that has an app you can track him on and control noise (beeping) and a light on it from the phone. its fairly accurate and can live track his walks on the app through a google map style format. You need to buy the tracker and pay a yearly subscription.

I would be interested in hearing your research on what you think is a good option too!

Most trackers use a combination of GPS and a mobile data SIM to report the pet's position via the Internet to a central server. You can then use an app to query that plus all kinds of other useful stuff like geofencing and alarms if they go too far. These usually also involve an annual subscription. It doesn't matter how far you are away from the pet in this case, as long as it is has mobile phone reception where it is.

Any tracker that claims a range of 200ft is going to be using a different technology, and if it's a device manufactured outside the EU, possibly using radio frequencies that are illegal to use here, so be careful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I didn't know about radio frequencies being illegal, that's interesting and peculiar at the same time! :)

New Home wrote: »
    I didn't know about radio frequencies being illegal, that's interesting and peculiar at the same time! :)
    The radio frequency spectrum is split into multiple bands, each of which is allocated to a particular purpose. Some are licensed and can only be used by specific people, such as emergency services, others are unlicensed, such as those used for WiFi. These allocations are different between the US and Europe, so it's possible that a device that's legal in the US, using a free to use unlicensed frequency, might be using the same licensed frequency as, say, the Gardai or Mountain Rescue causing interference. So it's not really the frequency itself that's illegal, it's the use of licensed frequencies by unlicensed operators that's illegal.

Once again, that's very interesting! :)

Kamili wrote: »
    Dying to hear the updates on trackers. I have one on my doggy that has an app you can track him on and control noise (beeping) and a light on it from the phone. its fairly accurate and can live track his walks on the app through a google map style format. You need to buy the tracker and pay a yearly subscription.

I would be interested in hearing your research on what you think is a good option too!

Hi what brand do you use ? Thanks 🀗

Alun wrote: »
    Most trackers use a combination of GPS and a mobile data SIM to report the pet's position via the Internet to a central server. You can then use an app to query that plus all kinds of other useful stuff like geofencing and alarms if they go too far. These usually also involve an annual subscription. It doesn't matter how far you are away from the pet in this case, as long as it is has mobile phone reception where it is.

Any tracker that claims a range of 200ft is going to be using a different technology, and if it's a device manufactured outside the EU, possibly using radio frequencies that are illegal to use here, so be careful.

Wow that’s really interesting thank you! Yes I need one that gives exact location and geofencing as a back up! Some of them are €10 per month which is well worth it as the amount of time I spent looking could have been used in a more productive way!

Is there any you recommend? That’s a good point- I want to stay away from something that only covers a limited range as it seems pretty pointless as they could go out of a range of say 200feet very easy!

Ideally I want it to pin point within a few metres similarly to the way google map works ! I’m delighted I am even having to get one of these 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Hi what brand do you use ? Thanks ��
    Mine is a tractive, its probably too large for a cats collar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

In an *unbelievable* stroke of good luck today my little cat was spotted as I drove into a carpark today!!!! She was roughly 1km from where she escaped and was quite distressed when I found her but started to recognise me when I sat down and called her, got a twig and played with it and she came out of the bush and sniffed me and came over :D:D I scooped her up in the carpark and started crying, someone say me and probably thought I was nuts :D:D:D

She extremely underweight, weighs less than 2 kilos but hopefully will be ok after her ordeal. She was so distressed and I am so grateful that we managed to get her back - I just can't believe how lucky we are.

She didn't fair out too well in the wild is skin and bone but hopefully there is no long term damage. All her fat stores and muscle has been used as she must not have been able to find food but she somehow managed to survive.

I am astonished with the stroke of good luck. I usually don't park where I did and only parked there as I was reminded by someone yesterday I needed to set up a direct debit. I can't believe it !! Thanks so much for all your kind word and support through out the last few weeks, I just can't believe she's home!! She is quite anxious as shes hungry but I have to wean her slowly back onto food:D:D

I'm very happy you got your cat back bud. Mines still missing but I'm still optimistic and hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

im feckin delighted for you its like one of our own has shown up

• Advertisement

I'm very happy you got your cat back bud. Mines still missing but I'm still optimistic and hopeful.

I'm sorry to hear yours is missing. I spoke to someone today who told me someone they worked with......Their cat turned up six months after it went missing so you are right to be optimistic :)

Mine has ZERO hunting skills and can't jump properly and still managed so I would be hopeful yours turns up too. They can survive by drinking rain water that has pooled in places we can't even see such as gutters etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Op I was away all last week and couldn't post due to password problems. But I could read and I was just THRILLED to hear that you and sweet little kitty were reunited. :D:D:D

Like so many others, I had been very touched by the story. Your obvious heart break at losing your little pet,the long frustrating searches and the way you described how vulnerable she is came across so strongly in your posts that I was constantly checking for updates with fingers tightly crossed. But eventually thinking, hey this isn't a film,this is real life and real life often doesn't have happy endings and the poor little mite is most likely no longer alive. So what a fabulous surprise to read such a fantastic outcome! :D Did you go into that car park looking for her or did you just happen to be there and just happen to spot her? It really is incredible after a whole month and just goes to prove that cats really do have nine lives.:D

I hope that you'll have her for many years and never have to go through anything like that again. How is she now OP? Has she recovered and able to eat properly. It's so sweet that she's as thrilled to be home as you are. Bless our little furry friends!:pac:

I'm sorry to hear yours is missing. I spoke to someone today who told me someone they worked with......Their cat turned up six months after it went missing so you are right to be optimistic :)

Mine has ZERO hunting skills and can't jump properly and still managed so I would be hopeful yours turns up too. They can survive by drinking rain water that has pooled in places we can't even see such as gutters etc

We moved from a semi detached 2 storey house in a town to a bungalow in the countryside. Huge difference for her. She used to enjoy running up the stairs and up to the landing where she'd give us a tap on the shoulder through the railings. Scaling walls around the estate and defending her yard from the other cats. Where we are now is pretty open and the neighbours dog chases her. We got a pug too and I don't think she finds it very amusing. Big change from what she's used to.

acequion wrote: »
    Op I was away all last week and couldn't post due to password problems. But I could read and I was just THRILLED to hear that you and sweet little kitty were reunited. :D:D:D

Like so many others, I had been very touched by the story. Your obvious heart break at losing your little pet,the long frustrating searches and the way you described how vulnerable she is came across so strongly in your posts that I was constantly checking for updates with fingers tightly crossed. But eventually thinking, hey this isn't a film,this is real life and real life often doesn't have happy endings and the poor little mite is most likely no longer alive. So what a fabulous surprise to read such a fantastic outcome! :D Did you go into that car park looking for her or did you just happen to be there and just happen to spot her? It really is incredible after a whole month and just goes to prove that cats really do have nine lives.:D

I hope that you'll have her for many years and never have to go through anything like that again. How is she now OP? Has she recovered and able to eat properly. It's so sweet that she's as thrilled to be home as you are. Bless our little furry friends!:pac:

She really is so happy, I know it’s such a heartwarming story, people have contacted me from different parts of the country saying it’s given them hope looking for their missing cats.

For the first couple of days she was crying constantly and seemed to be anxious being on her own but she seems to have calmed down now which is great.
    She is stuck beside us and her favourite place is the beside the fridge :)

I had a few phone calls about her being spotted close to where I found her but everytime I went down there was no sign of her!

On the day I found her I only pulled into the carpark as I had missed an appointment. Due to the carpark being very quiet at the time i think she momentarily ran out of the bush because she recognised my engine, but then she ran back in and I had to coax her out, she only recognised me when she sniffed me(this makes sense to me as they recognise sound and smell over sight)

She had also been spotted on a river bank by three people (yikes!) and was spotted eating a chip outside a takeaway. Some of the people recognised her from the last ditch attempt of the posters I had put up so they were worth it.

She weighed 1.9kg but has put on .4kg which is good progress, she was just so thin.

It was an exhausting experience but Im
    Taking the positives from it. I learned a lot about cat behaviour so I can help other people who are missing their cats
    and give them a bit of hope :)

We moved from a semi detached 2 storey house in a town to a bungalow in the countryside. Huge difference for her. She used to enjoy running up the stairs and up to the landing where she'd give us a tap on the shoulder through the railings. Scaling walls around the estate and defending her yard from the other cats. Where we are now is pretty open and the neighbours dog chases her. We got a pug too and I don't think she finds it very amusing. Big change from what she's used to.

How long is she missing and how long had she been in the new house before she went missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So glad. Reading your post was like reading the one I put out when my cat came home. I honestly think yours like mine was accidentally shut in somewhere? Makes so much more sense. I emailed local holiday let owners, asked folk to check their sheds, and empty houses, and soon after that she came in.

See

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-505831/Cat-survives-garden-shed-TWO-MONTHS-licking-condensation-windows.html

and
    scroll down

http://feralcatsireland.org/Feral_Cats/Feral_Cat_News.html

How long is she missing and how long had she been in the new house before she went missing?

A month now at this stage. We've been in our new house 3 months altogether so 2+1. Fingers crossed she turns up. We got her as a kitten around August last year. So town living would be all she's used to really. A few nights before she went missing she got into a fight with a stray country cat. Far rougher than what she'd be used to. I think it's been stressful with the new dog too. Even though the dog only wants to play with her really.

Graces7 wrote: »
    So glad. Reading your post was like reading the one I put out when my cat came home. I honestly think yours like mine was accidentally shut in somewhere? Makes so much more sense. I emailed local holiday let owners, asked folk to check their sheds, and empty houses, and soon after that she came in.

See

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-505831/Cat-survives-garden-shed-TWO-MONTHS-licking-condensation-windows.html

and
    scroll down

http://feralcatsireland.org/Feral_Cats/Feral_Cat_News.html

That is so strange that you say that as I noticed that she was licking the window in my house as a drink and I have never seen her do that until now:eek:
    I would love to know what happened in the first place to cause her to become displaced. I think she was in a fight with a male cat that she often would chase out of the garden :D

They really are incredible at surviving. They are still ''semi'' wild compared to dogs so they seem to manage a bit better I would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

She really is so happy, I know it’s such a heartwarming story, people have contacted me from different parts of the country saying it’s given them hope looking for their missing cats.

For the first couple of days she was crying constantly and seemed to be anxious being on her own but she seems to have calmed down now which is great.
    She is stuck beside us and her favourite place is the beside the fridge :)

I had a few phone calls about her being spotted close to where I found her but everytime I went down there was no sign of her!

On the day I found her I only pulled into the carpark as I had missed an appointment. Due to the carpark being very quiet at the time i think she momentarily ran out of the bush because she recognised my engine, but then she ran back in and I had to coax her out, she only recognised me when she sniffed me(this makes sense to me as they recognise sound and smell over sight)

She had also been spotted on a river bank by three people (yikes!) and was spotted eating a chip outside a takeaway. Some of the people recognised her from the last ditch attempt of the posters I had put up so they were worth it.

She weighed 1.9kg but has put on .4kg which is good progress, she was just so thin.

It was an exhausting experience but Im
    Taking the positives from it. I learned a lot about cat behaviour so I can help other people who are missing their cats
    and give them a bit of hope :)

That makes a lot of sense. My cat always appears when I pull into my road as she clearly recognises my engine and can differentiate between it and the neighbours'ones.

But wow,how lucky you pulled in when you did! And how lucky it was just before the Haloween shenanigans! You were obviously destined to get her back. And you really deserved it too as you had made such huge efforts.

• Advertisement

I think she was in a fight with a male cat that she often would chase out of the garden :D
    It's that time of the year unfortunately, unneutered male cats are pretty indiscriminate and will go after any female cat, young, old, neutered or not they don't care. Usually they end up being bitten on their rear ends near the base of the tail, like our poor old neutered 16 year old cat was yesterday. Luckily we spotted some odd behaviour in her early on and took her to the vets on time.

Advertisement