Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-06-2018, 00:41   #316
alaimacerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Leaving aside for the moment all the genuine concerns some people have expressed about this appointment, I am curious as to who would have made a "good appointment" Well certainly not anyone from the current gene pool that's for sure.
Here's the thing, I'm sure many of the people complaining sincerely have their own individual theories as to what sort of person would genuinely, clearly have been better. Keep on trying with internal AGS candidates -- there must be a pony in here! A Yank. A civilian. An actual Brit. Someone from the rest of the EU. Would everyone have been happy with any of those? No, of course not. But each of those would cheese off different people. So you'd likely be getting about the same out of carping, just from different people, using a different set of cliches.

Personally I think a Nordie might be the least worst option. The last "insider" seemed like an excellent appointee -- look how that turned out. Any of the other options are going to be a still-bigger culture clash, both in the Guards and in the populace in general. Look at the daggers-drawn relationship with GSOC, for example, stuffed as it is with Brits and civvies.

But least worst might still be pretty bad.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-06-2018, 10:34   #317
Mikenesson

Can't see the problem at all

It's the obvious thing to do ,bring in someone from the nearest jurisdiction and a reforming police force at that
Thanks from:
02-07-2018, 14:58   #318
Dr Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Trent View Post
And what's wrong with Conor McGregors credentials??

Padraig Nally and Conor McGregor would make a great team.

We could have Padraig Nally as the Garda Commissioner and Conor McGregor as his enforcer.
(2) thanks from:
19-08-2018, 01:34   #319
D Trent

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...er-862868.html

High Court challenge launched over choice of new Garda Commissioner
19-08-2018, 01:39   #320
Kristopherus

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Trent View Post
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...er-862868.html

High Court challenge launched over choice of new Garda Commissioner
The cat would really be among the pigeons if that action succeeds.
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 16:53   #321
ohnonotgmail

well that didnt take long https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37241136.html
09-09-2018, 14:56   #322
Real Rad

Religion is a mere distraction, the issue is allegiance. It is ironic that coming to Brexit, a man whose oath states ' I do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve Our Sovereign Lady the Queen in the office of constable, without fear or affection, malice or ill will; and that I will to the best of my power cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against the persons and properties of Her Majesty's subjects', not to mention his oath to MI5 has now effectively taken control of policing our borders. Just shows how thick the Oirish really are.

On the issue of N. Ireland, it was Mr Harris who stopped all investigations into murders committed by RUC, (including those who took part in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings) by withdrawing funding.

In his recent statement to the Belfast Telegraph Mr Harris states that the biggest threat to the Irish people are dissident republicans. Now, forgive me, but the last time I looked at the news most people murdered in the Republic were as a result of drugs and the Kinnahan Hutch feud. And I haven't even considered rural crime there

Lastly, I genuinely see the funny side of some murals I passed by in Northern Ireland the other day. RUC - PSNI - Garda - Spot the difference!
09-09-2018, 15:24   #323
DChancer

Delighted we finally have a profesdional modern and nononsense Garda Commissioner
Thanks from:
12-09-2018, 16:32   #324
yourdeadwright

I thought this was a great  idea until I read him saying " the biggest threat to the Irish people are dissident republicans " 
This is simply not true, Stevie wonder could see the biggest problem is the drug gangs,
Then I read about him and his father was killed by the IRA in the 80's so quite obviously he is mislead by events of the past and that is not what the country needs in the leader of the Garda ,
They have been stuck in the past for about 25 years now , incapable of dealing with todays issues, We need someone to take them forward for back,
His comment baffle's me ,dissident republicans are far down the list of problems facing the Irish people n current times,
Advertisement
12-09-2018, 16:34   #325
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChancer View Post
Delighted we finally have a profesdional modern and nononsense Garda Commissioner
Modern is the opposite to "that the biggest threat to the Irish people are dissident republicans "
He is stuck in a time warp.

Iv no issue with where he's come from it's his idea's that baffle me ,
(2) thanks from:
12-09-2018, 16:51   #326
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Rad View Post
Religion is a mere distraction, the issue is allegiance.  It is ironic that coming to Brexit, a man whose oath states ' I do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve Our Sovereign Lady the Queen in the office of constable, without fear or affection, malice or ill will; and that I will to the best of my power cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against the persons and properties of Her Majesty's subjects', not to mention his oath to MI5 has now effectively taken control of policing our borders.  Just shows how thick the Oirish really are.

On the issue of N. Ireland, it was Mr Harris who stopped all investigations into murders committed by RUC, (including those who took part in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings) by withdrawing funding.

In his recent statement to the Belfast Telegraph Mr Harris states that the biggest threat to the Irish people are dissident republicans.  Now, forgive me, but the last time I looked at the news most people murdered in the Republic were as a result of drugs and the Kinnahan Hutch feud. And I haven't even considered rural crime there

Lastly, I genuinely see the funny side of some murals I passed by in Northern Ireland the other day.  RUC - PSNI - Garda - Spot the difference!
The van used in the raid this morning b y the " Garda"  was and English reg with no tax,insurance or VRT,
Same Van, same reg can be seen in various pictures as an tactical aid unit used by the Greater Manchester Police ,
New commissioner already has some explaining to do
Thanks from:
12-09-2018, 16:52   #327
Paulzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Brown View Post
Padraig Nally and Conor McGregor would make a great team.

We could have Padraig Nally as the Garda Commissioner and Conor McGregor as his enforcer.

In fairness Nally's shotgun trumps McGregors right hook every time. I think he can take care of himself
12-09-2018, 16:58   #328
mynamejeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
The van used in the raid this morning b y the " Garda"  was and English reg with no tax,insurance or VRT,
Same Van, same reg can be seen in various pictures as an tactical aid unit used by the Greater Manchester Police ,
any evidence or proof for this or ????????

in fact a NI reg van used by the private security company contracted to secure the building whose owners are N Irish .

or according to some nuts it was ERU and Army rangers . (Actually public order unit of course )
Thanks from:
12-09-2018, 17:03   #329
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamejeff View Post
Quote:
any evidence or proof for this or ????????

in fact a NI reg van used by the private security company contracted to secure the building whose owners are N Irish .

or according to some nuts it was ERU and Army rangers . (Actually public order unit of course )
Its not a NI reg van,
Its quite easy to check it out UK reg check, it was last taxed in August 2014 by the Manchester police ,
An Garda Síochána is satisfied that the vehicle in question is tax and insurance compliant , said a Garda statement , A simple check on the website shows there lieing ,
(2) thanks from:
12-09-2018, 17:06   #330
mynamejeff

Quote:
Its not a NI reg van,
Its quite easy to check it out UK reg check, it was last taxed in August 2014 by the Manchester police ,
An Garda Síochána is satisfied that the vehicle in question is tax and insurance compliant , said a Garda statement , A simple check on the website shows there lieing ,
so throw up the proof here then

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion