Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Options

Comments

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes, you`re correct, it was 21% of a face to face survey. Some on line survey which you could`nt trust came up with 42%

Also 47% of the NI population consider themselves UK citizens

UI is a long way off

You mean the online BBC survey?

Oh, my. This is a bit like the time in 1998 when Paisley called the Queen of England a "parrot" because he didn't like the message.

A majority of all age cohorts in NI under 40 describe themselves as Catholic. And how many DUP Catholics have you come across? A strong majority of students at all levels are similar. This reality is not debated. So, you can keep your head in the sand about the changes, or you can start planning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bet the first change he makes is to allow those being interegated to phone home.

Do you see what I did? Do you see it? Have ye it twigged? Don't know how I come up with them so I don't. Soon as I seen the name, boom. Gifted I guess. Man the heat is something, what.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not high enough up. Hamilton was the only officer in 2014 with the correct qualifications.

Hugh Orde should have been the one. But he has moved on too. As they all do.Not taking away for a minute from Drew Harris either.

But as long as they achieve what their contract says, it is all good.

VERY glad to see an outsider here. Thank Fk at last. If it takes ten years I don't mind either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Del.Monte wrote: »
    As regards moving into this century - no thanks - hell will freeze over before I embrace the Irish language/the GAA/SF etc. Thanks for the advice though.

Ah that's what they all say. To paraphrase your man in that film, inside every Unionist is a Fenian trying to get out... and become Hiberniores Hibernis ipsis, just as their radical Irish republican ancestors were before the Act of Union in 1800 (which, of course, the now Unionist Orange Order opposed at the time but shhh).

One must wonder why they massacred Protestants then during the rebellion, people not even involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

pearcider wrote: »
    When did the IRA threaten to bring down civil war on the republic? Don't be ridiculous. They were fighting from being cowed by a brutal and unyielding sectarian establishment. It all kicked off with the civil rights movement and the violent response of the Unionists to that. There's plenty of evidence of the RUC battering peaceful catholic protestors in the archives. You're trying to revise history pal. Go back to school.

If anything it was the UK who agitated for spreading the conflict south with the Monaghan and Dublin bombings. You might want to look up the arms crisis or the hunger strikes and see the public reaction in the south to that. Certainly didn't do haughey any harm. But I expect you won't since you're a troll and nothing more.

Several points:

1) I'm not your 'pal'.

2) Your not supposed to accuse people of trolling in a thread - not that I care.

3) What I meant was that the IRA campaign up North could have resulted in a more widespread conflict on the whole island. I didn't mean that the IRA were going to start a civil war in the south - but you knew that didn't you.

4) Unlike you I am old enough to remember what happened in the sixties and seventies and don't need to resort to Google and YouTube for my history.

Anyway, I'm out so keep any Further insults for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

The anti British sentiment is just below the surface all the time. Why is that, have we not moved on with GFA and all that.

Jeeeeesus it is painful now. Move on or forever be a fossil.

It's not anti British! It's anti the British security forces who murdered innocent Irish people in the recent past. There's families that haven't seen any justice!

I never claimed he was! You made claims im.askiny you to back them up with evidence.

Do you not understand how this works?

Do you understand that we're not in court?

Deniers of this are on the same level as deniers of Gerry Adams being in the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I would be amazed if Drew Harris sticks one year of trying to reform that bunch of Mongos...at least he will soon realise why the salary offered was so high, he will earn every Euro of it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

His name sounds like a teenager from the wrong side of the tracks in Neighbours or Home and Away.

archer22 wrote: »
    I would be amazed if Drew Harris sticks one year of trying to reform that bunch of Mongos...at least he will soon realise why the salary offered was so high, he will earn every Euro of it :D

The bunch of mongos mightn't be great but this Harris was around when the ruc were murdering innocents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I just want a commissioner that tells the truth, the whole truth...

The IRA and all that is just a kick away from a riot or an atrocity. Judging by the posts on here.

Honestly it is unreal how some still are entrenched in their view when many more have actually moved on and given space to those they detest. That is the measure of maturity.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    It's not anti British! It's anti the British security forces who murdered innocent Irish people in the recent past. There's families that haven't seen any justice!

You have not moved on. So there is that really. Fault on both sides as we know.

Those affected seem to have done that, difficult as it was for them, all in the name of peace. I salute them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The anti British sentiment is just below the surface all the time.

The anti-British sentiment you're incorrectly naming is more accurately described as anti-British state and its murderous, sectarian, history in Ireland.

We will never let that be forgotten.

You have not moved on. So there is that really. Fault on both sides as we know.

Those affected seem to have done that, difficult as it was for them, all in the name of peace. I salute them.

Fault on both sides, the name of peace, all that sh1t. It's not a game for some people, it's some random thing that just happened.
    For others they're still searching for justice. Some have been blocked even from having an investigation. Others know their family members killers but they either have never spent a day in prison or have been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Actually Kudos for the original poster to not only bring up someone’s religion in relation to them getting a job in the republic but also the specific offshoot of their religion.

This so called “united” Ireland isn’t exactly sounding very “United” now is it??.

This thread is about as welcome as Liam Adams offering to help out at your kids youth club.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

My first reaction when I heard this was positive, AGS could definitely use some leadership that has not been influenced/corrupted by years of making their way up the ladder internally.

I do have a big issue with being an Ex RUC officer. They were both the protectorate and enforcers of the Protestant state for the Protestant people, so f*uck them forever.

However, at the moment the Guards are struggling to maintain a footing against the likes of the Kinahans who no firm leadership in place. So maybe he might be the right man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

timthumbni wrote: »
    Actually Kudos for the original poster to not only bring up someone’s religion in relation to them getting a job in the republic but also the specific offshoot of their religion.

This so called “united” Ireland isn’t exactly sounding very “United” now is it??.

This thread is about as welcome as Liam Adams offering to help out at your kids youth club.....

Settle down there chum.

timthumbni wrote: »

Or the British army setting up a boys home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Del.Monte wrote: »
    CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Unless they separate Garda policing from national security functions this makes no sense.

Harris' loyalty has always been to a foreign power. It was revealed at the Smithwick Tribunal that as PSNI head of intelligence he was its interface with MI5. Hardly a safe set of hands for matters of national security.

No adverse reflection on Harris' character intended : he appears to be a talented, experienced and principled Police officer.

What matters of State security do you imagine he will be passing on to MI5 - everybody knows the Nuclear fallout bunker is under the Costume Barracks in Athlone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custume_Barracks  Do we have any other secrets that might be useful to a 'foreign' power - the very one we would turn if we were threatened by terrorists/Russia etc.
    The great Williamite Army doing the business again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Yeah they tend to be a frugal lot as well...so he is unlikely to lose a dozen phones and a couple of laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

They should have hired Tom Sellick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

They should have hired Tom Sellick

Or Rex Banner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Nah

Get James Gordon in to clean it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Think Steven Seagal should have gotten it personally.

Didn't he single handily defeat the UVF and the IRA using nothing more than these sweet sweet sweet Aikido moves?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There's a lot of people saying that this in preparation for a united Ireland. Interesting video on Newsnight stating that post-Brexit communication about such an event are already taking place. Some senior unionist figures are even changing their minds.

ian_paisley.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Do you understand that we're not in court?

Deniers of this are on the same level as deniers of Gerry Adams being in the IRA.

Oh my.

You're right this isn't court this is a debate, have ever been involved in one before?

It's pretty simple, when you make a claim it's expected that you will back that claim up with evidence so as to prove your point. If you don't do this then how can anyone take your claims seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

He only wants two years. His real ambition is to be Chief Constable of the PSNI, and to be eligible he has to serve at least two years in a senior role in another force. Normally that would be on the GB mainland but the Garda position will probably be good to satisfy the criteria.

He’s already served in the Scottish police, hasn’t he?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It's reported that he has served for two years in Scotland, as part of the Inspectorate of Constabulary.
    His contract with the Gardaì is for five years.

It will be interesting to see how this appointment works out.

And to all those who are complaining that he isn't "Irish Enough" to qualify for the job, how qualified do you think Noireen is for her new position?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/nóirín-o-sullivan-secures-job-with-international-policing-body-1.3270586%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

You mean the online BBC survey?

Oh, my. This is a bit like the time in 1998 when Paisley called the Queen of England a "parrot" because he didn't like the message.

A majority of all age cohorts in NI under 40 describe themselves as Catholic. And how many DUP Catholics have you come across? A strong majority of students at all levels are similar. This reality is not debated. So, you can keep your head in the sand about the changes, or you can start planning now.

I would find that very hard to believe, Belfast is the largest conurbation in NI and is becoming quite cosmopolitan now ( not just Catholic/Prod) To say over 50% of everyone in NI under 40 describe themselves as Catholics seems to be over the top. Where did you see this info

Advertisement