Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Its not a NI reg van,
    Its quite easy to check it out UK reg check, it was last taxed in August 2014 by the Manchester police ,
    An Garda Síochána is satisfied that the vehicle in question is tax and insurance compliant , said a Garda statement , A simple check on the website shows there lieing ,

Quite ironic to see people who have been committing violent crimes against property, invading and seriously damaging, as well as physical resistance of the lawful actions of the Gardai, then complaining about a missing tax disc on a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pic of reg below. I read it as MX06WGA but the dvla database doesnt have a vehicle of that reg.

41598687_10213550696183222_5597104451325263872_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

On the Wikipedia page, Demography of Northern Ireland, under the heading 'The religious affiliations in the different age bands in the 2011 census were as follows:' is an astonishing table where there are more Catholics than Protestants in NI at every age level under 40. This is definitely an existential crisis for James Craig's self-declared 'Protestant state for a Protestant people'.

Because some people, nationalists as well as unionists, are asleep to this reality doesn't negate it. It's time all Irish people woke up to the massive demographic shift in the North, and how the very surprising variable of Brexit is currently speeding up the recreation of a single Irish state. We live in very interesting times.

But sure it's not a cat, prod thing, its nat, unionist.

Many middle class Catholics for instance are not nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There u go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Mikenesson wrote: »
    Can't see the problem at all

It's the obvious thing to do ,bring in someone from the nearest jurisdiction and a reforming police force at that

Bring in a civillian would have been the best option. Alas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

There u go

We no longer pay taxes motor or otherwise to the english govt (since 1922)
    State vehicles have fleet policies of insurance and cop cars are exempt from tax. Probably exempt on the basis that the state paying tax to itself is a bit pointless.

There u go

and this
    it was last taxed in August 2014 by the Manchester police

where is the reference to manchester police?

Same van,same rEg

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    There u go

State vehicles have fleet policies of insurance and cop cars are exempt from tax. Probably exempt on the basis that the state paying tax to itself is a bit pointless.
    But why use a English police Van ?

Same van,same rEg

So it was a police vehicle at one stage and they sold it off to its currents owners.

• Advertisement

There u go

To be clear the Garda claimed it was not them it was a private company, Garda where only there to just keep the peace, , So it should be taxed ,and its not taxed so they lied ,
    This is all in a public Garda statement,

There u go

Even the Journal agrees that the Gardai don't have to tax their vehicles.

http://www.thejournal.ie/motor-tax-garda-bike-exempt-893459-May2013/

Pity that we have to kill that little bit of excitement among the protestors.

To be clear the Garda claimed it was not them it was a private company, Garda where only there to just keep the peace, , So it should be taxed ,and its not taxed so they lied ,

The gardai have no way of knowing if an english vehicle is taxed.

Same van,same rEg

So it was a police vehicle at one stage and they sold it off to its currents owners.
    New Mi5 related Garda commissioner then this Police van turns up ,
    If it was a private company and Garda (who where just there to keep the peace )  where told at the scene by the public it wasn't tax or insured why didn't they act  ?
    Why lie in there public statement that it was taxed and insured when it isn't ?

The gardai have no way of knowing if an english vehicle is taxed.
    That's why your required to have proof of it , if your driving the vehicle in the REP

That's why your required to have proof of it , if your driving the vehicle in the REP

I'm sure you are required to provide proof if asked. I think the gardai there were a bit busy keeping public order to check. no great conspiracy.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I've never understood this line of thinking. Why is it such a difficulty to have someone from another jurisdiction head up the police force? What exactly is the danger in this?
    Because our police force, unlike other modern forces, also oversees national security and associated intelligence.

I'm not sure anyone in the UK would be too keen on an Irish Garda heading up MI5, I wouldn't blame them, and I'd hardly call them paranoid for having real concern about that.

I am sure that when the Gardai have recovered from being battered and bruised by idiotic protesters committing multiple offences that they will follow up on a missing tax disc.

Because our police force, unlike other modern forces, also oversees national security and associated intelligence.

A situation which should be addressed, as it places far too much power in the one place.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am sure that when the Gardai have recovered from being battered and bruised by idiotic protesters committing multiple offences that they will follow up on a missing tax disc.

The UK dont use tax discs and haven;t for a while. I'm not sure what evidence a UK driver would even have that a vehicle is taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The van used in the raid this morning b y the " Garda"  was and English reg
    To be clear the Garda claimed it was not them it was a private company

That's not a 'to be clear'. You're not clarifying anything. You're changing your story. First you said it was the guards. Then when you found out guards don't have to tax vans you now want to change your whinge to something else.

The UK dont use tax discs and haven;t for a while. I'm not sure what evidence a UK driver would even have that a vehicle is taxed.

Well the websites is there to check , i can check , u can check , anyome can check , iv had a car impouded before i got to VRT it before by the Garda ,

People will stick there head in the sand as usual but awful strange timing of this ,

Also the comments about the biggest current treath to irish people shows the new man in charge is out of touch

Well the websites is there to check , i can check , u can check , anyome can check , iv had a car impouded before i got to VRT it before by the Garda ,

People will stick there head in the sand as usual but awful strange timing of this ,

Also the comments about the biggest current treath to people shows the new man in charge is out of touch

Well i'm glad that you think the gardai should prioritise a tax offence in another jurisdiction over public order. What offence did the van owner actually commit btw?

That's not a 'to be clear'. You're not clarifying anything. You're changing your story. First you said it was the guards. Then when you found out guards don't have to tax vans you now want to change your whinge to something

They said it wasnt them it was a private company after the story and the connection of an old Police van was made ,
    One way it another they lied , they said the Van was taxed and insured which is a lie ,

Well i'm glad that you think the gardai should prioritise a tax offence in another jurisdiction over public order. What offence did the van owner actually commit btw?

If public order means enabling a masked bunch of heavies by a masked bunch of state employed heavies I think we need to stop and consider where we're going.

There is no owner as its not registered,
    So the Garda let 15/20 masked men , who showed no ID to the ocuppents remove them with force all while driving an unregistered ,untaxed van ,

There doing a super jon

the vehicle is registered. It isn't taxed. Not the same thing.
    So the Garda let 15/20 masked men , who showed no ID to the ocuppents remove them with force all while driving an unregistered ,untaxed van ,

There doing a super jon

how do you know this?

There doing a super jon

Why would ID have to be shown?

Surely all they need to show the occupants is a copy of the Court Order and a letter authorising the bearer of the letter to carry out the Court's order. That would be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The squatters wouldn't obey the Court order so they can't whinge when they are thrown out. Who gives a ****e about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

blanch152 wrote: »
    Why would ID have to be shown?

Surely all they need to show the occupants is a copy of the Court Order and a letter authorising the bearer of the letter to carry out the Court's order. That would be sufficient.

And of course the squatters would have left then.
    Ya they would!

Advertisement