Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭passatman86

@joujoujou is that a sleeper car ? What engine in it . Looks well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Thanks.

Well, it's not really a sleeper, although it has some mods alright. Bog standard 1.4 petrol with upgraded intake (bhp and torque increased), plus a number of suspension mods to improve handling. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Jesus sounds like you were lucky, Fiat electrics are shockingly bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Nothing to do with FIAT to be honest. Every car has relays and all it takes is a bit of water to mess with them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Replaced clutch and DMF on herselfs mark4 mondeo last week.(1.8tdci) Did it over 2 days as minding kids aswell, don’t think I’d have managed it in a day anyway.!! Fair bit of work in it as front subframe has to come down first. 6 speed box was way heavier than anything I’d done before, I was glad I had a chainblock on it.
    A lift would have made this job lots easier.
    Anyway car has just done 1000k since(she drives a lot!!) and it’s reallly smoothened the ride. DMF was rattling like hell in it if you didn’t dip the clutch starting for last few months and it was kicking and hunting a bit if u got caught in the wrong gear. All good now though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭passatman86

Cleaned out the 190bhp celica i bought - gave it a wash, gearbox oil got changed, new tax nct discs holder, put in my wide rear view mirror, all is good

Found €2.50 in change , an old phone “rang previous owner” , and the world of nuts raisins pips and seeds not sure if a man owned the car or a budgie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I've been busy sorting niggly little bits on the Z... Here's some of the ones I've captured

At the flywheel is a bolt that hasn't enough room to come out (near the oil filter). It needs to be spaced properly for a manual configuration (I got the sandwich plate far too late into the swap!) so I had to space the bolt... By cutting slots out of a pair of washers and fitting them. Done!
    nr8XSZMh.jpg

Automatics come with a relay that allows the car to work only when in park/neutral. Since we don't have an auto anymore... Bypass it
    7WSBIIGh.jpg
    wyrXRALh.jpg

Shout out to kilianmanning for helping me keep my sanity with the seized slave cylinder! As we wanted the car to be up and running he suggested take it off and clean it. Worked a treat :cool:
    2NHQqQLh.jpg
    t4ZDMrJh.jpg
    kKeeDXuh.jpg

Finally, the gear lever mount was cut at the mounting point and the collar missing. So the solution was simple: Use a banjo from the LDA of an XUD pump, glue it to a lump of rubber from some dried up windscreen bond, 2 small pieces of a 500SE roof drilling one and some cable ties also needed. Job done ;)
    HBkvQEDh.jpg
    vli7OpAh.jpg
    5wGWHlmh.jpg
    xgjQTk9h.jpg

Z33 wheels that were on my C220 are now on the 300ZX, but was pitch black when I changed wheels...

I'll have more Z fun, in it's own build thread. Next to sort is the dukes of hazzard passenger door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Last time I drove that car it had 3 speeds and only went in circles, I need a go now that it's a real car. :pac:

Fair play, man. You're giving that car the life it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Finally seemed to have fixed my blower issue after replacing the FSU with a Genuine Part, seems the Hella part I got was faulty.

GAnJc4nh.jpg

Annoyingly this probably means my old motor was OK and it's actually better than the one I replaced it with so I'll probably be taking the dash apart again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Ouch, will a weld sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Should do, welder looking at it today. When you see the original welds, there's hardly any material there at all, makes you wonder how they get away with such a small contact point between the bracket and the subframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭blade1

and the world of nuts raisins pips and seeds not sure if a man owned the car or a budgie

You must have picked it up cheep so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Probably a complete waste of time and money, but after 2 weeks and about 1400 miles the car was almost black with the road grime so gave her a bath :D

Probably be covered in grime again by the time I get to work in the morning, but at least I'll have the photos as a memory :pac:

436441.jpg

436442.jpg

436443.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Why is there no mud flaps? It wouldn't be half as dirty if you had some on there.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Why is there no mud flaps? It wouldn't be half as dirty if you had some on there.
    Because there were none on it when I bought it 4 weeks ago, and I haven't managed to source any yet :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure it'll make much difference (especially if I source the spacers I want) but I'm willing to give it a try if a set pops up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

They don't really do much for the dirt that's a result of spray, it's more the heavy stuff they stop being fired up. I don't have them on my car, but anyone that has them, they find them a nuisance, they only scrape off the road if you go into a hollow in the road, or have people in the back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

They don't really do much for the dirt that's a result of spray, it's more the heavy stuff they stop being fired up. I don't have them on my car, but anyone that has them, they find them a nuisance, they only scrape off the road if you go into a hollow in the road, or have people in the back...

Genuine ones usually don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mine do (did)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Well today I replaced my drivers rear caliper. It's a first for me and to be honest I was a little scared but it all went well.

About a year ago the brakes started sticking and basically within the year I had all of them cleaned but not properly serviced. Then this rear drivers one started again so I said feck it and got 2 calipers from Toyota and pads. I'm sure the other one needs doing too and I'll do the fronts after Christmas.

The state of the yoke when I took it off. There was no seal on the piston. I'll try get a pic. It's not that long since the mechanic cleaned this one but Christ it looks bad. The pads were fairly worn too. Piston was sticking right out. I'm sure if the outer seal was missing then the square one was well messed up.

First time for me to bleed the brakes too but that went well. I was half expecting the brake fluid to shoot out of the cable when I was changing the caliper but it was fine. Dripped a bit but not much. I had the new one ready to put on so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

breadbin wrote: »
    Well today I replaced my drivers rear caliper. It's a first for me and to be honest I was a little scared but it all went well.

About a year ago the brakes started sticking and basically within the year I had all of them cleaned but not properly serviced. Then this rear drivers one started again so I said feck it and got 2 calipers from Toyota and pads. I'm sure the other one needs doing too and I'll do the fronts after Christmas.

The state of the yoke when I took it off. There was no seal on the piston. I'll try get a pic. It's not that long since the mechanic cleaned this one but Christ it looks bad. The pads were fairly worn too. Piston was sticking right out. I'm sure if the outer seal was missing then the square one was well messed up.

First time for me to bleed the brakes too but that went well. I was half expecting the brake fluid to shoot out of the cable when I was changing the caliper but it was fine. Dripped a bit but not much. I had the new one ready to put on so all good.

Well done breadbin, like yourself I'm new enough to the whole D.I.Y. mechanics as well. But there are alot of people in this forum that are willing to provide advice on different tasks which is great. I also find that a job isn't as bad, if you research it well. :) Anyway keep up the good work.

job seeker wrote: »
    Well done breadbin, like yourself I'm new enough to the whole D.I.Y. mechanics as well. But there are alot of people in this forum that are willing to provide advice on different tasks which is great. I also find that a job isn't as bad, if you research it well. :) Anyway keep up the good work.

Well I reckon it's just confidence with me or lack of. My dad was always terrified to do any work on his car. None of my mates either so I never got into it. Better late than never. You get a buzz off it too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

breadbin wrote: »
    Well I reckon it's just confidence with me or lack of. My dad was always terrified to do any work on his car. None of my mates either so I never got into it. Better late than never. You get a buzz off it too;)

That's exactly the same as me. :) it's extremely satisfying..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Nice one! It makes driving more exciting too, with that whole feeling of did I put that thing back on the right way or not floating around your head when you're overtaking a lorry or something. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Focus 1.4 was hesitating at lights , dangerous at roundabouts and accelerating at any speed and in any gear.Once at speed it was fine.Everybody said plugs, coil pack, fuel filter, clutch.

So after a few hours and coffees on the www.

Bought carb cleaner , took throttle body off and cleaned it to fook.The butterfly valve was caked in a build up of carbon and whatnot and was sticking slightly.
    Cleaned pcv valve
    Cleaned idle control valve

Drives like a new car.I fookin danced in the driveway such a cheap fix sorted it.:pac:

So,

Changed oil, filters, fuel filter, plugs, 2 drop links , two tie rods, 2 rear anti roll bar bushes.

Then a headlight blew. FFS.:rolleyes:

It's only a 500 quid car but I don't know whether I feel more pride in me or the car !

Focus 1.4 was hesitating at lights , dangerous at roundabouts and accelerating at any speed and in any gear.Once at speed it was fine.Everybody said plugs, coil pack, fuel filter, clutch.

So after a few hours and coffees on the www.

Bought carb cleaner , took throttle body off and cleaned it to fook.The butterfly valve was caked in a build up of carbon and whatnot and was sticking slightly.
    Cleaned pcv valve
    Cleaned idle control valve

Drives like a new car.I fookin danced in the driveway such a cheap fix sorted it.:pac:

So,

Changed oil, filters, fuel filter, plugs, 2 drop links , two tie rods, 2 rear anti roll bar bushes.

Then a headlight blew. FFS.:rolleyes:

It's only a 500 quid car but I don't know whether I feel more pride in me or the car !

It doesn't matter the value of the car. What you did is worth it. My car is worth about 1500 and I spent 450 on it today for 2 calipers. People were telling me not to pump money into it but for the feeling of self satisfaction and pride alone it's worth it! Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    Genuine ones usually don't.

Both do, been in a few cars with genuine ones and they scrape, they don't be long getting tatty at the bottom either.

Advertisement