Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

No photos since work was done in the dark, but this evening I installed a dash cam.

Fingers crossed I'll never need to share footage!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Top Dog wrote: »
    No photos since work was done in the dark, but this evening I installed a dash cam.

Fingers crossed I'll never need to share footage!

Does it connect to the battery somehow?

breadbin wrote: »
    Does it connect to the battery somehow?
    Yeah. You can just use what comes with the camera and plug it into a cigarette lighter, or in my case I bought the hardwire kit which mean's its connected permanently and my cigarette lighter is still useable for phone charging. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Top Dog wrote: »
    Yeah. You can just use what comes with the camera and plug it into a cigarette lighter, or in my case I bought the hardwire kit which mean's its connected permanently and my cigarette lighter is still useable for phone charging. :)

That's the job and no more wires, well visible anyway!

breadbin wrote: »
    That's the job and no more wires, well visible anyway!
    Yeah. Hoping it looks discreet enough in daylight tomorrow. Mounted up behind the rear-view camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Today I doen something to my mrs car

Not documented anything in a while but doing an overhaul of the brakes on the Mrs car

Pretty badly lipped and in need of replacement

ccvkk0H.jpg

anlHj1d.jpg

Gen 8 civic has 2 philips screws and they are a nightmare to remove

I tried and failed miserably with the manual impact driver the heads with the halfords one were ****e - I got some teng heads which are much better but it would shift the bstard

pdZDMK5.jpg

I tried using a punch to turn it but it wouldn't budge even after been left in wd40 I followed the advice from here and used an 8mm cobalt drill bit to knock out the tip -

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1559712-DIY-How-to-remove-stuck-rotor-screw-in-any-car

This worked out very well and the screw were freed each side in 2 mins - just a matter of gripped the remainder with a pliers after the disc comes off

MMbSFep.jpg

Glt9p7B.jpg

Trick is to stop drilling ones the metal disc comes onto the drill bit - 2 allen replacements for each side at hand

NAQOmob.jpg

Pads were near the wear locator pry bar for caliper to open and breaker to shift the caliper mount nuts

BOoNcOX.jpg

Handy enough done 1 side just over an hour and blasted through the other in 20 mins

Handy feature to shift the discs is 2 M8 bolts tightening 90 degrees and rotating between the 2 shifts the disc in no time

MvRQyQN.jpg

Between the rain and the lack of daylight I just got all the **** off the car - shes on the axle stands ready to commence in AM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I find a decent hammer used with intent on the discs makes them a lot more compliant, hard to beat a bit of shock treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I find an impact screwdriver is a great job at loosening those bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I find many cars just don't have them screws by default and everything is perfectly fine. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I find an impact screwdriver is a great job at loosening those bolts.

He used one and the philips head broke or so he said in the above post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Those discs needed replacing about 3 years ago :eek: Not a moment too soon :)

rex-x wrote: »
    Those discs needed replacing about 3 years ago :eek: Not a moment too soon :)

They were actually sound when we got the car 3 years ago as I checked it all over myself- car needed rear pads and that was it at the time. It was NCTed the day we got it and last year - Shes put over 60000kms (145k on the clock) since we got the car 3 years ago I noticed theyd gotten bad on my last once over on the car but it was the depths of winter and thats no time to be working on cars outside :cool:

The rears aren't bad a small bit of a lip - Ive replacements to go on there in Spring when its nice and dry outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

They were actually sound when we got the car 3 years ago as I checked it all over myself- car needed rear pads and that was it at the time. It was NCTed the day we got it and last year - Shes put over 60000kms (145k on the clock) since we got the car 3 years ago I noticed theyd gotten bad on my last once over on the car but it was the depths of winter and thats no time to be working on cars outside :cool:

The rears aren't bad a small bit of a lip - Ive replacements to go on there in Spring when its nice and dry outside.

Very good job! I'm keenly interesting in anything relating to the 8th gen Civic!

Very useful to see these jobs done. Before I attempt them myself!

Something I'm just wondering. You had issues with the screws on the break disks. Did you use wd40 or anything similar?

job seeker wrote: »
    Very good job! I'm keenly interesting in anything relating to the 8th gen Civic!

Very useful to see these jobs done. Before I attempt them myself!

Something I'm just wondering. You had issues with the screws on the break disks. Did you use wd40 or anything similar?

Yep lashed wd40 on her, nada - tried all the tricks that others mentioned lashing it with a hammer, impact driver, etc - if you buy a decent cobalt drill bit - I got an 8mm Heller and it ate through it in less than 2 mins with a cordless Dewalt and you can grip the screw afterwards as long as you stop once the ring appears on the drill bit.

I don't think its necessary to the operation but I replaced them anyway with countersunk allen bolts M6 x 16 with some copper grease on the threads- thought Id be kind to the next unfortunate that has to do the job :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Yep lashed wd40 on her, nada - tried all the tricks that others mentioned lashing it with a hammer, impact driver, etc - if you buy a decent cobalt drill bit - I got an 8mm Heller and it ate through it in less than 2 mins with a cordless Dewalt and you can grip the screw afterwards as long as you stop once the ring appears on the drill bit.

I don't think its necessary to the operation but I replaced them anyway with countersunk allen bolts M6 x 16 with some copper grease on the threads- thought Id be kind to the next unfortunate that has to do the job :cool:

Perfect! Thanks for that info! :)

...and resume

Replaced with Blueprint discs and pads - have to say Im impressed with the quality of them

mPmc5aF.jpg

Stainless countersunk allen bolt M6 x 16 (appologies for the man fingernails :D)

RHVc1oF.jpg

Brake Runout test passed with flying colours

hMY2Bxn.jpg

Rewind tool only job 22quid from Amazon with all the attachments

LTfACHA.jpg

Much Better....changed brake fluid as well while I was at it

JeSzrOK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Have to ask, why did you check the run out on brand new discs? :p

CianRyan wrote: »

Its checking the runout of the wheel bearing actually, very common reason for new discs to judder of get worn out quickly but very rarely gets checked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Few bits done over the past week or so. Damaged the front bumper in the golf. Two spots needed a dab of the touch up, nothing major though. Combination of wet sanding and machine polishing tidied it up massively. Still a few slight marks there, but not unless you went looking for them really.

Golfbefore.png

golfafter.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Also did a bit of modifying to dads Pajero. For its 20th Birthday I got a set of Recaros from a broken Pajero for free. They literally have no wear on them. Fit in perfect, and give good support. The original seats still are in good nick, albeit in need of a cleaning. Got nice seat covers for them last summer too, to preserve them. Nice little mod. Must get the interior valeted later in the year.

pajero1.png

pajero2.png

pajero3.png

• Advertisement

may as well as Ive the tool there :cool: - takes less than 5 mins a wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

rex-x wrote: »
    Its checking the runout of the wheel bearing actually, very common reason for new discs to judder of get worn out quickly but very rarely gets checked :pac:

In all my time in work and training I am yet to come across anyone checking a bearing with a dial gauge but hey, I was only complaining that I never learn anything in January. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Unregistered Users

Peatys wrote: »
    [...]

Would these pass the nct?

Yes, if you'd be able to do alignment - and it often can be impossible.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Yes, if you'd be able to do alignment - and it often can be impossible.

Didn't think there was any adjusting the day lights. Cheers, will look into it

In all my time in work and training I am yet to come across anyone checking a bearing with a dial gauge but hey, I was only complaining that I never learn anything in January. :D

It depends on what you work on! Every day stuff in practise just doesn't get checked unless there is a problem and even then many don't know it should be checked but if you are fitting discs to an m5 etc then you check every time, discs are too dear to risk :)

Unregistered Users

Peatys wrote: »
    Didn't think there was any adjusting the day lights. Cheers, will look into it
    Ahh, sorry, did not read the ad carefully enough - if these are just for the rings and not for dipped or full beam, you'll be fine.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Ahh, sorry, did not read the ad carefully enough - if these are just for the rings and not for dipped or full beam, you'll be fine.

Sound, thanks for the info. One side gone, so going to kill two birds with one stone, and want to bring the yellow day lights up to date, but don't want to blind driver's coming against me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

The other half has a 07 Mini Cooper.

She has it just over 6 months, this warning light pops up on Xmas eve!

[IMG][/img]fGdo3kf.jpg

Parked the car and left the oil to settle while checking underneath.

No leaking, Jesus my nerves!

Tunrs out its the Oil Pressure senor.

[IMG][/img]3TfeR5D.jpg?1

ze7COUH.jpg

Ordered the part €25 (parked up the car for all of Xmas,just in case)

[IMG][/img]7lZVbSx.jpg

Purchased a 21mm deep socket too, awkward enough to get in and get a solid hold on it.

[IMG][/img]ALWVCRz.jpg

Had to remove air breathing hose and push back some cables,took about 30 -45 minutes all in.

No more leaks or warning lights.

Happy Mini and Happy Wife, for now :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Broken rear spring changed on my F10 this morning.. Not a hard job but an awkward job lying on my back on the cold ground..

Anyone on here got lifts at their house? Will be building a garage soon and can't decide between a pit or lift..

Advertisement