Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Work smarter, not harder ;)

No wet sanding, no strange procedures.

The 1 minute renovation :)
    M0cYjtMl.jpg

SAWSMa0l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think I seen on faceballs some sort of new wipe they are doing for headlights like that. The ad looked like a gimmics, but they just took out what looked like an alcohol wipe from a small packet, gave the lamp a quick run and apparently the results are permanent.

Done mine with good old polish and a rotary, I'm all for trying something at least once, everything gets a chance.

I'll be sealing them up later when I change the oil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Done mine with good old polish and a rotary, I'm all for trying something at least once, everything gets a chance.

Since when do ya have a Santy Fee!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭blackbox

What do you fancy to seal them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Failed NCT on hazy headlights, my own fault as I knew they weren't clear enough.
    5 mins with a dish sponge and some white toothpaste and lights were back to almost factory.
    Passed NCT after this, but it was 28 euro I could have used for something else.

blackbox wrote: »
    What do you fancy to seal them?

I've been researching this and looking at a UV based wax...

Unless I've been looking at it from the wrong angle! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

I did something with my car today. I removed the back wheel, the caliper and caliper bracket, then the disc so as to tighten the handbrake. It actually went fine although I was actually trying to turn the screw which was already turned fully and wondering why I couldn't! Turned it a couple of times the other way and voila! You live and learn.

My clattery 05 TDDi Focus with its 360000+ km has clearly never seen a replacement set of glow plugs in its life. I had a feeling about this when I bought it a month or so ago. It became more and more obvious over the last few colder mornings. Stuck a new set in last night and she fired up this (very cold) morning without a bother. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

One of these and wiper arm bearings.

I was one happy boy yesterday morning in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,617 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

biko wrote: »
    Failed NCT on hazy headlights, my own fault as I knew they weren't clear enough.
    5 mins with a dish sponge and some white toothpaste and lights were back to almost factory.
    Passed NCT after this, but it was 28 euro I could have used for something else.

The toothpaste is a grand quick fix but after a couple of weeks it begins to go bad again, these kits are very good, did mine over a year ago and still like new...

The toothpaste is a grand quick fix but after a couple of weeks it begins to go bad again, these kits are very good, did mine over a year ago and still like new...

Another product I can definitely recommend is the T-cut headlight restorer. It's about €15 and basically same as the others out there but done with elbow grease. 30 mins each light might be too much for some but the results were amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So I've had an annoying noise coming from the rear of the car for months now. Like a rattle and knock at slower speeds. Months ago I bought new Bilstein shocks, top mounts, replaced the sub frame bushes and drop links. Noise persisted. So thought from trying to replicate the noise the shocks were faulty. Took them back and the motor factors got me another set in, Bilstein again. Noise still there, and it was all I could hear when driving.

Last week I picked up a 2nd hand set of springs and shocks from an e30 sport. Fitted the rear springs and shocks tonight, and......noise is gone. It was those feckin bilsteins the whole time. Makes such a difference.

Rear end really feels sorted now, and a little test drive tonight on some damp roads showed the difference. Maybe a placebo but the car feels a lot better. Need to get spring compressors before tackling the front but happy out with tonight's progress. Sorry no snaps as phone was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is it possible that the replaced springs were the cause? From what you say, the noise was there with three different sets of shocks...

Not your ornery onager

Just there with two sets of shocks, both brand new sets but relatively cheap. I fitted the shocks today before the springs to so I would know what was cuaisng the noise. When inswapped the shocks and kept the old springs noise was gone. Threw the new springs in then. Apparently they're 15mm lower but impossible to notice. Not sure if the spring rate is different.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Just there with two sets of shocks, both brand new sets but relatively cheap. I fitted the shocks today before the springs to so I would know what was cuaisng the noise. When inswapped the shocks and kept the old springs noise was gone. Threw the new springs in then. Apparently they're 15mm lower but impossible to notice. Not sure if the spring rate is different.

I read somewhere else that some guy never buys the all in one strut i.e. the spring and the shock already put together because he reckons there's always noise with them. He gets just the shocks and if he needs springs he gets them separately. Might be some truth to it.

Well today I topped up the coolant in my car. I decided to check it yesterday and got a shock because the reservoir was empty and couldn't see any when I looked down the radiator either! I'd say it wasn't too low because the temp was always fine on the dash and it didn't take much to fill the radiator up.

I then decided just for ****s and giggles to check the oil and we'll feck me wasn't it low too, under the low dot so I changed the oil, oil filter and air filter too. I really must make note of when I do it and the mileage. Suppose that's what this thread is for;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Replaced the pollen filter with the slightly pricier carbon version. Simple job and old one wasn't in that bad condition.

Then moved on to the air filter ... can't really replace what isn't there :eek: So fitted an air filter. Having driven it since I now have a better idea of why the turbo was so audible beforehand.

Fuel filter - easiest I've ever done. Hasn't cured my rough starting issues, but definitely smoother from low revs from driving so was worth the effort anyway.

Then investigated the knocking from the front passenger side. As I suspected the top-mount for the shock was completely shot. Had a look at the drop link as suggested by a friend ... like the air filter that too was missing. So shock mount and drop link ordered from motor factors to be collected Wednesday. Rear engine mount arrived in the post so all going well (if I'm off work) then Saturday will be oil & filter change, new engine mount, new top mount and new drop link to be fitted.

Finally, to cheer myself up, I transplanted my double-din Kenwood into the car. Same power rating as the JVC that was in it, but sounds sooooo much better.

The more I delve into this car the more I find wrong/missing/broken :( So much so that now I'm revising my notion of putting money into it to get it up to a much better standard. Going to make it safe, drive it for the winter, and in the meantime save up for a better example. You know its bad when your wife refers to your new (to you) motor as "the sh*tbox on the driveway" :o

So drive to work went well today, rear suspension is sorted. On the way home the engine developed a ticking noise in time with rpm that was louder than it should be. So I adjusted the valves this evening. None of them seemed out by much but test drive after and it's nice and smooth as it should be and ticking now gone.

Also picked up some spring compressors today so front suspension next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I've been researching this and looking at a UV based wax...

Unless I've been looking at it from the wrong angle! :eek:

UV based wax??? Most waxes are made to stop UV rays affecting the paintwork.

• Advertisement

UV based wax??? Most waxes are made to stop UV rays affecting the paintwork.

You have to remember how I've progressed over the years with cleaning cars and this would still be new to me...

I'm still on a learning curve and while I'm sure you can appreciate this, a mute coterie/sad little troll might find my ignorance something to find "funny" which if were honest, is quite low but not surprising, which I'm sure you've seen before.

Sorry for the mini rant!

I recently bought a suitable air freshener for my car :D

d63Hvath.jpg

Installed a dashcam too

Top Dog wrote: »
    Replaced the pollen filter with the slightly pricier carbon version. Simple job and old one wasn't in that bad condition.

Then moved on to the air filter ... can't really replace what isn't there :eek: So fitted an air filter. Having driven it since I now have a better idea of why the turbo was so audible beforehand.

Fuel filter - easiest I've ever done. Hasn't cured my rough starting issues, but definitely smoother from low revs from driving so was worth the effort anyway.

Then investigated the knocking from the front passenger side. As I suspected the top-mount for the shock was completely shot. Had a look at the drop link as suggested by a friend ... like the air filter that too was missing. So shock mount and drop link ordered from motor factors to be collected Wednesday. Rear engine mount arrived in the post so all going well (if I'm off work) then Saturday will be oil & filter change, new engine mount, new top mount and new drop link to be fitted.

Finally, to cheer myself up, I transplanted my double-din Kenwood into the car. Same power rating as the JVC that was in it, but sounds sooooo much better.

The more I delve into this car the more I find wrong/missing/broken :( So much so that now I'm revising my notion of putting money into it to get it up to a much better standard. Going to make it safe, drive it for the winter, and in the meantime save up for a better example. You know its bad when your wife refers to your new (to you) motor as "the sh*tbox on the driveway" :o

Any pic of the ****box? Sure what does the wife know!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You have to remember how I've progressed over the years with cleaning cars and this would still be new to me...

I'm still on a learning curve and while I'm sure you can appreciate this, a mute coterie/sad little troll might find my ignorance something to find "funny" which if were honest, is quite low but not surprising, which I'm sure you've seen before.

Sorry for the mini rant!

Didn't in the slightest think it was "funny". Just letting you know ;)

Didn't in the slightest think it was "funny". Just letting you know ;)

Not you, I know you wouldn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

breadbin wrote: »
    Any pic of the ****box? Sure what does the wife know!
    More than I want her to know :D :pac:

Said s**tbox ...

431475.jpg

Top Dog wrote: »
    More than I want her to know :D :pac:

Said s**tbox ...

431475.jpg

Nice looking car for a ****box! Mine is a real ****box. Poxy clearcoat coming off in clumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

so my car was destroyed in stone chips (gen 8 civic surprise surprise) , did a nice bit of work on her and she went through nct with just tyres advisory. happy days. had a set of alloys for sale and they sold so i said id buy a set id wanted for ages, xxr 527s, my taste not everyone's. quite aggressive fitment with slight tyre stretch. so instead of respraying front end i said id give it the old rustoleum treatment with rollers ,matte black,car was black anyway just not matte. anyway.. came out just as id hoped it would.

6qxzio.jpg

14kwh2s.jpg

156wtvt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Nothing at all wrong with the xxr alloys, I quite like their style but the car needs to be waaaaaay lower to pull that look off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rex-x wrote: »
    Nothing at all wrong with the xxr alloys, I quite like their style but the car needs to be waaaaaay lower to pull that look off

Wheels won't fit if I lower it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

rex-x wrote: »

Agreed 100%, looks like on steroids :)

Advertisement