Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Last week I convinced myself I had a coolant leak in the e46. This was the chain of events.

1. Sitting in traffic I notice a heat haze over the engine, I've seen this before when my rad failed and it was a tiny bit of coolant steaming.
    2. Got home let car cool down fully and checked coolant. A little low, top up by 100mls or so. Hadn't checked my coolant level in a long time however, no way to know how long it had taken to get low.

So overly paranoid me thinks my rad has failed, or something of that nature. Today I took out the engine fan to get a clear view of the rad and entire cooling system. I can see or smell nothing. Turn on car and let it heat to full temp. Nothing. Rev it a little bit to see if that causes anything. Nothing.

Rad is clean, expansion tank clean, all visible hoses are clean. So I'm going to hold off on a more in depth review for now; and keep an eye on my levels closely. I'm not stupid enough to categorically say there's no leak, given it is a BMW we're talking about. But it's not worth the effort for now until I know more.

Fingers crossed lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Last week I convinced myself I had a coolant leak in the e46. This was the chain of events.

1. Sitting in traffic I notice a heat haze over the engine, I've seen this before when my rad failed and it was a tiny bit of coolant steaming.
    2. Got home let car cool down fully and checked coolant. A little low, top up by 100mls or so. Hadn't checked my coolant level in a long time however, no way to know how long it had taken to get low.

So overly paranoid me thinks my rad has failed, or something of that nature. Today I took out the engine fan to get a clear view of the rad and entire cooling system. I can see or smell nothing. Turn on car and let it heat to full temp. Nothing. Rev it a little bit to see if that causes anything. Nothing.

Rad is clean, expansion tank clean, all visible hoses are clean. So I'm going to hold off on a more in depth review for now; and keep an eye on my levels closely. I'm not stupid enough to categorically say there's no leak, given it is a BMW we're talking about. But it's not worth the effort for now until I know more.

Fingers crossed lads.

Have you thought about doing a cooling system overhaul? I have one penciled in for my jalopy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you thought about doing a cooling system overhaul? I have one penciled in for my jalopy.

Over the years I have replaced most of it already. Rad, expansion tank, upper and lower coolant hose, water pump. So I have most of it done in bits and bobs. If I find reason to strip it I will replace all old hoses now though, and probably do the water pump again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

So to be honest and up front, a buddy did most of the work. But I was involved and did some of the work so I'm claiming it's Today I did something to my car :p

After a few weeks of conflicting schedules I finally pinned the buddy down to a day and time to tackle some jobs on the car (and go over it from front to rear to identify any work needed). Thankfully the report after wasn't too bad - rear subframe bushes, exhaust flex pipe, clutch & flywheel kit, tyres & tracking. Considering the list for the last car I got him to do a report on I consider it a win - especially as I kinda knew about all the above. So clutch kit and bushes have been ordered, will be dispatched from the UK tomorrow, and hopefully here in time to get the work done next Saturday (fingers, toes & everything else crossed) :D Exhaust flex I'll sort myself when I'm changing the whole system for a twin exit.

So today we managed between us;
    Tensioner and lower pulley kit fitted
    Power steering belt replaced
    Oil & filter done (8k miles but at least 7 months since last done)
    Air filter changed (only 6k miles since last done, but figured for my records I'd have a full service done)
    Fuel filter changed (again 6k miles, but as I'd run BG244 fuel system cleaner through it I wanted peace of mind that if it had cleared any gunk out that was caught in the filter, then I now have that filter removed)
    Rear ABS sensor properly connected so I now have ABS and traction control again
    Drivers door handle adjusted as it was 50:50 on opening the door
    Microphone connected to headunit so I can now use the bluetooth for calls
    GPS sensor connected just because (maps are well out of date, but by fitting it I won't lose it :pac: )

Took a bit longer than planned/expected - but then these things always do for some reason.

439893.jpg

Oh and before anyone asks - there are 2 axle stands under her (one hidden behind the trolley jack and another over on the passenger side) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Top Dog wrote: »
    So to be honest and up front, a buddy did most of the work. But I was involved and did some of the work so I'm claiming it's Today I did something to my car :p

After a few weeks of conflicting schedules I finally pinned the buddy down to a day and time to tackle some jobs on the car (and go over it from front to rear to identify any work needed). Thankfully the report after wasn't too bad - rear subframe bushes, exhaust flex pipe, clutch & flywheel kit, tyres & tracking. Considering the list for the last car I got him to do a report on I consider it a win - especially as I kinda knew about all the above. So clutch kit and bushes have been ordered, will be dispatched from the UK tomorrow, and hopefully here in time to get the work done next Saturday (fingers, toes & everything else crossed) :D Exhaust flex I'll sort myself when I'm changing the whole system for a twin exit.

So today we managed between us;
    Tensioner and lower pulley kit fitted
    Power steering belt replaced
    Oil & filter done (8k miles but at least 7 months since last done)
    Air filter changed (only 6k miles since last done, but figured for my records I'd have a full service done)
    Fuel filter changed (again 6k miles, but as I'd run BG244 fuel system cleaner through it I wanted peace of mind that if it had cleared any gunk out that was caught in the filter, then I now have that filter removed)
    Rear ABS sensor properly connected so I now have ABS and traction control again
    Drivers door handle adjusted as it was 50:50 on opening the door
    Microphone connected to headunit so I can now use the bluetooth for calls
    GPS sensor connected just because (maps are well out of date, but by fitting it I won't lose it :pac: )

Took a bit longer than planned/expected - but then these things always do for some reason.

439893.jpg

Oh and before anyone asks - there are 2 axle stands under her (one hidden behind the trolley jack and another over on the passenger side) :cool:

I like your shed... nice beam up there to strap your gearbox to when your doing the clutch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

A quiet weekend was had

Fitted a windscreen I had lying about (seriously, I have stuff like this lying about) The tube of windscreen bond was €14 (conveniently not affected too much by humidity during curing) a new windscreen fitted would have set me back €150

Make sure your surfaces are clean. Knocked some paint off while removing the old bond? Cover it up to protect it from rust.

The 406 has 3 removable plastic guides (when the screen is out) at the bottom for the windscreen to sit into making the job of positioning it much easier
    WMJOzKeh.jpg
    B3nlaUmh.jpg
    4krjAEQh.jpg

With the leftovers in the tube I fitted the original deflectors to this car. They ain't coming off that easily :p

Heat on and left to sit for ages, I'll check it again this evening. Should be well stuck on by now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Sat down before the Christmas with a Haynes manual trying to get the radio out of the Yaris but the housemates family were over from Italy so quickly got grabbed to bring them to the Phoenix Park.

Finally got the time tonight at half 9 to go out, take out the fascia and switch the battery and ignition wires. Two seconds to find out it was working and hey presto! All my channels are saving and EQ settings. It's the little victories, bugging me since I got the car in April but never had the balls to rip out the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Here's where my 2018 holiday fund had to go instead.

-2 Cam Sprockets
    -Chain
    -Tensionser
    + other associated work -> done by the mechanic were it was towed to.

-Cam Magnets x 2 + o rings to stop oil leak
    -upgraded looms that prevent downwards oil creep
    -Thermostat
    -Battery
    -Bonnet Struts -> done by me trying to save that extra money.

(Pending) LED dips to avoid crashing at night. Even Osrams halogens arent cutting it)

I better get many years motoring outta this now.

wkocjn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Lekrub wrote: »
    Here's where my 2018 holiday fund had to go instead.

-2 Cam Sprockets
    -Chain
    -Tensionser
    + other associated work -> done by the mechanic were it was towed to.

-Cam Magnets x 2 + o rings to stop oil leak
    -upgraded looms that prevent downwards oil creep
    -Thermostat
    -Battery
    -Bonnet Struts -> done by me trying to save that extra money.

(Pending) LED dips to avoid crashing at night. Even Osrams halogens arent cutting it)

I better get many years motoring outta this now.

wkocjn.png

What car?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

martyc5674 wrote: »
    What car?

By the look of that chain it looks like a Mercedes of some kind. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The ol sprockets look a bit worn :o.

By the look of that chain it looks like a Mercedes of some kind. :pac:

Ha bang on. Mercedes W203 c200. It was the sprockets that done me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I have a similar job coming up on my 5 Series next week, 3 new chains, all guides, 3 tensioners, many many gaskets etc, needs to be done!

I have a similar job coming up on my 5 Series next week, 3 new chains, all guides, 3 tensioners, many many gaskets etc, needs to be done!

What killed me was the chain was already done by previous owner, it was the sprockets that went.

Is yours a e60?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Lekrub wrote: »
    What killed me was the chain was already done by previous owner, it was the sprockets that went.

Is yours a e60?

No an E39 540i, pretty much the only issue those engines have, not so much with the chains and tensioner but with the Guides!

No an E39 540i, pretty much the only issue those engines have, not so much with the chains and tensioner but with the Guides!

Ah an equal pain. But the satisfied feeling that the engine is safe again after doing it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Satnav and dashcam moved from old to new 'rolla. Another dashcam (rear) installed as well. All on fuse piggyback, so easy to remove in the future. Interior hoovered, new carpet mats in (micksgarage) as well as boot liner (dealer) and wind deflectors (ebay). Too busy to take photos, will shoot tomorrow if weather let me to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Think your Touran has been sold ;)

Unregistered Users

Would be great! New owner will definately be happy with it.

Edit: it's still up on DD though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-touran-1-9-tdi-s-130bhp-7st-5dr/15422788

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Was only yesterday that I seen it out infront of the dealers all spruced up.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

I'll look around next time I visit B'haunis. Last time I saw it hidden in the backyard though. :(

Are you holding on to the old Corolla Jou? I'm not looking to buy it or anything just curious as you done a nice few cosmetic mods to it.

Unregistered Users

She has to go unfortunately. Done the likes of 300.000 kilometres with me and never let me down, but bodywork is far from perfect and repair would more than likely cost few times more than a car is worth. So, sadly, at the end of next week she'll go to breakers. :(

By the time I was finished I was too tired to be bothered with internetz so here's what I did yesterday ...

New rear engine mount fitted. Old one wasn't totally worn but had some play. As I'd fitted one to our other car, which only got used for about 500 miles, it was a free swap so would have been silly not to. 5 minute job once the undertray has been removed.

440686.jpg

New front pipe. Ebay to the rescue. Not convinced that its the same diameter as the Ford one I removed, so may get replaced in time. We'll see. Its for a 2.0, and while others on owners groups are telling me they're the same, I'm still wondering if it might be choking the 2.2. Gaping hole in the old pipe which was giving great booo lad on gearchanges - now gone :o

440687.jpg

The old pipe with a hole at least a third of the way round :eek:

440683.jpg

I finally transplanted the twin exhaust from our silver scrapper to the blue daily. Took me a while to work up the courage to cut the bumper, plus the weather has been putting it on hold for weeks, but now its finally done. Spent an hour and a half de-tarring and polishing up the rear boxes and tips before fitting (yes I'm a bit sad) :o

I'm pretty sure the one that was fitted was for a normal 2.0 or 2.2 as it pointed down at the end where the ST should have a chrome tip coming out the rear. It was also missing a mounting location just in front of the rear subframe. :rolleyes:

Old vs New

440688.jpg

Operation underway (yes the bumper bar could do with a lick of paint - I'll probably tackle it when the weather is better and I'm Schutz'ing the underside) ;)

440689.jpg

Getting there

440691.jpg

End result :cool:

440690.jpg

Little louder but only really noticable when giving it proper welly or decelerating. Fuel consumption took a bit of a hit as the child in me kept giving it a boot with the windows down. :D Need to get a mount welded on to the drivers side though as there's none there (only the ST220 came with twin exits as standard) but with 4 other mounts holding it on its secure enough for now.

Jesus you put a lot of faith in the hand brake. I wouldn't get under that car on that slanty driveway.

Unless I had a block or two securing the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Jesus you put a lot of faith in the hand brake. I wouldn't get under that car on that slanty driveway.

As long as the car is in 1st gear as well. I couldn't see it rolling back.

Unless I had a block or two securing the wheels.
    There's raised bits at the front of the ramps so she wasn't going forward. Handbrake on too.
    job seeker wrote: »
    As long as the car is in 1st gear as well. I couldn't see it rolling back.
    1st gear, handbrake, stop's on the ramps - she wasn't going anywhere. I was swinging out of a couple of bolts and it didn't budge in the slightest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Top Dog wrote: »
    1st gear, handbrake, stop's on the ramps she wasn't going anywhere. I was swinging out of a couple of bolts and it didn't budge in the slightest :)

Even without the stops, you'd have been grand. Extra safety measures, never hurt anyone though. :)

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    Even without the stops, you'd have been grand. Extra safety measures, never hurt anyone though. :)
    I've had a Fiesta fall off a jack in the past, and a wife freaking out when I rang her to come help ... these days I pay a bit more attention to what I'm doing :D

Advertisement