Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water Refunds information

Options
  • 06-09-2017 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

The government has announced that Domestic Water Charge refunds will be issued in the Autumn. Irish Water is working to ensure that this can be achieved as efficiently and accurately as possible. The vast majority of refunds should be paid before Christmas.

Irish Water’s primary concern is that the payment of refunds is as straightforward as possible from a customer point of view and that those who made a payment to Irish Water are refunded with a minimum of delay, once Government has passed the legislation and provided the funding needed to allow for refunds. Almost 1m customers will be repaid their domestic water charges totalling €173m. 
    The cost of refunding customers will be approximately €5m to cover the cost of letters, cheques, a public information campaign and additional staffing to support the project including additional call centre staff to deal with customer queries.

We are now putting a team in place to begin this work and we will communicate with customers advising them what they need to do to ensure their refund is paid correctly as soon as the legislation is passed.
    Customers do not need to contact Irish Water to get their refund. Irish Water will send a cheque to the account holder at their address. If customers have moved or if their personal details have changed they should please call 1850 448 448.

You can find more information on refunds here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DartBhoy1888

Do we get everything we paid back as a refund? Or a percentage of what we paid. my first 2 bills were below €100 but my last 3 bills were €150 each..will I get all that back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Irish Water: Siobhan

Hi DartBhoy1888,

Thanks for your query.

You will be refunded the full amount paid during the entire billing period. A cheque will be issued to the account holder at the billing address. If you need to update your correspondence address, you can do so by contacting us on 1850 448 448.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
    Siobhan

• Registered Users Posts: 8 knocktopher85

The government has announced that Domestic Water Charge refunds will be issued in the Autumn. Irish Water is working to ensure that this can be achieved as efficiently and accurately as possible. The vast majority of refunds should be paid before Christmas.

Irish Water’s primary concern is that the payment of refunds is as straightforward as possible from a customer point of view and that those who made a payment to Irish Water are refunded with a minimum of delay, once Government has passed the legislation and provided the funding needed to allow for refunds. Almost 1m customers will be repaid their domestic water charges totalling €173m. 
    The cost of refunding customers will be approximately €5m to cover the cost of letters, cheques, a public information campaign and additional staffing to support the project including additional call centre staff to deal with customer queries.

We are now putting a team in place to begin this work and we will communicate with customers advising them what they need to do to ensure their refund is paid correctly as soon as the legislation is passed.
    Customers do not need to contact Irish Water to get their refund. Irish Water will send a cheque to the account holder at their address. If customers have moved or if their personal details have changed they should please call 1850 448 448.
    A previous Estate agent deducted Water charges from my deposit when I moved out in 2016. Am I entitled to claim them back? 
    If so do I contact the agent? or what do you recommend? Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Irish Water: Micheal

Hi knocktopher85,

Thanks for your message.

Full details of the Domestic Water Charge refunds have yet to be announced and legislation is expected to be passed shortly.

We thank you for your patience during this time as preparations are made and we will ensure that all customers are kept fully informed about the refunding process.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you have any further queries.

Kind regards,
    Micheal

• Registered Users Posts: 3 queenman

Hi Irish Water
    I've moved to UK while ago so I've updated my contact details on my online account. From what I hear, some cheque will be issued to the people who paid for a water however how can I (will I) use that cheque aborad? To be honest hard to believe it will be possible on the non-irish bank. Is possible so that the refund is done to the bank account (Irish) used for receiving payments by Irish Water?
    Should I still contact Irish Water by phone if I've updated my address details on my online account?
    I've send an email to you over 2 weeks ago asking similar questions but got no reply until yet :/

Thank you

Michal

• Advertisement

Hi queenman,

Thanks for your query.

The cheque can be lodged in any bank account once the cheque and the bank account have the same name.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
    Siobhan

• Registered Users Posts: 15 electromecca

hi there,

Just changed my address, but not sure if cheque was sent already to the old one?

Hi electromecca,

Thanks for your query.

Refunds have not yet been issued as we are currently awaiting the necessary government legislation. Once this legislation is passed, your refund will be sent to the updated address on your account.

You can find out more about the refunds here.

Kind Regards,
    Siobhan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

How do we get money back paid to landlords in rental properties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Irish Water: Micheal

Hi there,

Thanks for your message.

Details on the refund process have not yet been announced as we are awaiting necessary government legislation. Full details on how you can receive your refund will be announced to customers once legislation is passed.

We would like to thank you for your patience in the meantime.

Kind regards,
    Micheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 DanielS35

Hello, 

we needed to pay for the water when we were moving out and in as landlord/agency required it - unlawful imo.
    We lost some €200 or more in this fraudulent scheme.

I tried to sign in or register with the account no. and wprn that's on the invoice but all I get is info:
    No premises found for this WPRN and account number combination

We want our money back so please advise.

Thank you
    Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Irish Water: Mairead

Hi DanielS35,
    DanielS35 wrote: »
    Hello,

we needed to pay for the water when we were moving out and in as landlord/agency required it - unlawful imo.
    We lost some e200 or more in this fraudulent scheme.

I tried to sign in or register with the account no. and wprn that's on the invoice but all I get is info:
    No premises found for this WPRN and account number combination

We want our money back so please advise.

Thank you
    Dan
    If you PM the following details, we can follow up on this for you:

- Name;
    - Address;
    - Contact number; and
    - Confirm if you are the named account holder.

If you would like to update your correspondence address in order to receive your refund cheque to your current address, you can call 1850 448 448 between 9am and 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.

Thanks,
    Mairead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Hi,
    testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Thanks for your query.

We recommend you update your address to ensure that your account details are up to date in the event that you may need to contact us in future.

To do so, you should call 1850 448 448 between 9am and 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.

However, if you have updated your correspondence address to ensure that the refund cheque arrives at your correct address, this should suffice.

You can find more information about refunds here.

Thanks,
    Mairead

• Registered Users Posts: 1 magda80

Hello,

My sister was the account holder with Irish Water. She left Ireland in 2015 and closed the account at the end of September. We still have the access to the online account however it's impossible to change the account holder name online.We'd like the cheque to be sent to me and then I can share the refund with her. How can we transfer the account ownership to my name? She doesn't have the Irish bank account anymore and calling you (considering high volume of calls) would be too expensive from her Polish number.
    Thank you,
    Magda

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sadiq

Hi Irish water, 

I changed my address online on Irish water website. Is it enough or do I still need to phone 1850 448 448 to change my address in order to receive my refund cheque? Thanks 

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Hi

If you do not live in europe anymore what are the options for payment.
    I do not have anyone to collect cheque etc.
    I am entitled to full refund
    The only feasible option is online lodgement to original bank account registered with the online account
    how do i arrange this.

Hi Magda,
    magda80 wrote: »
    Hello,

My sister was the account holder with Irish Water. She left Ireland in 2015 and closed the account at the end of September. We still have the access to the online account however it's impossible to change the account holder name online.We'd like the cheque to be sent to me and then I can share the refund with her. How can we transfer the account ownership to my name? She doesn't have the Irish bank account anymore and calling you (considering high volume of calls) would be too expensive from her Polish number.
    Thank you,
    Magda
    Thanks for your query.

The refund cheque can only be issued to the named and registered account holder who paid for water charges at the property.

Using the online account, the forwarding address can be changed to your sister’s current home and she can then deposit the cheque into her account. Alternatively, she can call our international number on +353 1 707 2824 in order to update her account details.

More information on refunds can be found on our website here.

Kind regards,
    Mairead

Hi Sadiq,
    Sadiq wrote: »
    Hi Irish water,

I changed my address online on Irish water website. Is it enough or do I still need to phone 1850 448 448 to change my address in order to receive my refund cheque? Thanks
    We recommend contacting us in order to update your account details to reflect your current property by calling us on 1850 448 448 between 9am and 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.

However, if your forwarding address has been changed and the cheque is set to arrive to your current property, this should suffice.

Thanks,
    Mairead

Hi skippy2,
    skippy2 wrote: »
    Hi

The only feasible option is online lodgement to original bank account registered with the online account
    how do i arrange this.
    Cheques will be sent by post to the registered account holder at the property.

If you have moved properties, we recommend you update your details to reflect your current address on your MyWater Account, located here.

Alternatively, you can call us on +353 1 707 2824, Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm, in order to update your account details and ensure the cheque is sent to your correct address.

Thanks,
    Mairead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Hi Mairead

Could you clarify one thing for me.  Will everyone who paid the water charge be refunded?

I seem to remember something about people who were originally on Group schemes would still face the charge.

Hi 9or10,
    9or10 wrote: »
    Hi Mairead

Could you clarify one thing for me. Will everyone who paid the water charge be refunded?

I seem to remember something about people who were originally on Group schemes would still face the charge.
    If you paid Irish Water charges previously, the amount you paid will be refunded. This refund will be sent by cheque to registered address.

If you have moved properties, we recommend you update your correspondence details and ensure your contact information is correct by using your MyWater Account.

Alternatively, you can call us on 1850 448 448 to ensure your details are correct.

Our lines are open frmo 9am until 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.

We hope this helps to clarify things and you can find more information on refunds here.

Thanks,
    Mairead

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Hi skippy2,
    Hi

how do i arrange this.
    Cheques will be sent by post to the registered account holder at the property.

If you have moved properties, we recommend you update your details to reflect your current address on your MyWater Account, located here.

Alternatively, you can call us on +353 1 707 2824, Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm, in order to update your account details and ensure the cheque is sent to your correct address.

Thanks,
    Mairead
    Hi Mairead
    I understand the proposed offer
    If I do not live in Ireland and have no means of accessing something sent to an unoccupied address in Ireland by post
    I need another option, a cheque is of no use to me and my foreign bank will not accept a euro cheque from Ireland if it was posted to me here

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Hi, any update on when the actual payments will be sent out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Hi 9or10,
    Hi Mairead

Could you clarify one thing for me. Will everyone who paid the water charge be refunded?

If you paid Irish Water charges previously, the amount you paid will be refunded. This refund will be sent by cheque to registered address.

If you have moved properties, we recommend you update your correspondence details and ensure your contact information is correct by using your MyWater Account.

Alternatively, you can call us on 1850 448 448 to ensure your details are correct.

Our lines are open frmo 9am until 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.

We hope this helps to clarify things and you can find more information on refunds here.

Thanks,
    Mairead
    Thanks Mairead.

So there is no distinction between people who were previously on Group Water Scemes (and always paid water charges) and every other consumer?

Hi skippy2,
    Hi Mairead
    I understand the proposed offer
    If I do not live in Ireland and have no means of accessing something sent to an unoccupied address in Ireland by post
    I need another option, a cheque is of no use to me and my foreign bank will not accept a euro cheque from Ireland if it was posted to me here

Regards
    We want to refund the account holder as quickly as possible and cheque payments are the most secure and efficient way to ensure we get the right refunds to account holders in a timely and secure manner.

You can update your correspondence to your current address through your online account and these cheques can be deposited in all bank accounts.

We recommend you ensure your current address is updated in your correspondence tab so that you can receive your refund.

Thanks,
    Mairead

Hi The Caveman,
    Hi, any update on when the actual payments will be sent out?
    As soon as legislation has been passed, we will begin sending refund cheques.

We recommend logging into your MyWater account to check that your correspondence information is correct to ensure that your refund arrives at your correct address.

Thanks,
    Mairead

Hi 9or10,
    Thanks Mairead.

So there is no distinction between people who were previously on Group Water Scemes (and always paid water charges) and every other consumer?
    Refunds will be issued to all customers who made payments to Irish Water in respect of water and waste services and were connected to the public network.

Group Water Schemes are either private schemes, with their own water and waste supply, and not subject to any charge to Irish Water or being publically supplied. They are usually metered at one location at the entry point of the Group Water Scheme.

Those schemes are billed as Non-Domestic customers and were not charged as domestic customers. Therefore, they are not subject to a Domestic Water Charges refund.

There may have been a rare occasion where a member on a GWS incorrectly registered as a domestic customer of Irish Water and paid a bill. In this instance, they will be refunded, if they have not already been refunded when the error was identified.

You can find more on Group Water Schemes here.

Thanks,
    Mairead

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Hi Irish Water,

I had a second property which I sold two years ago. The water charges were paid in full in order for the sale to go ahead. Am I entitled to a refund for these charges? If so when I go online I can only see my current property in the account and not the one which is sold. Can I phone up and give the address/details of the sold property or what information do I need?

Many thanks

• Advertisement

Hi misschoo,

Thanks for your query.

If you updated your correspondence address after selling the property, the refund will be sent to the updated address.

If not, you will need to contact our Billing Department on 1850 448 448 who are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm. Please have your WPRN and Account Number to hand, alternatively a number of security questions will be asked to protect the account.

Kind Regards,
    Siobhan

Advertisement