Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs with combined Saorview and satellite epg

Options
  • 14-03-2017 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭

byte wrote: »
    Not from the LG's I've tried. Seems more convoluted. On the older Walker, you just had to press OK for channel list, then press Red for Saorview, Green for Satellite, IIRC. Newer Walkers have them all on same list, just sat channels are higher up.
    Navarre wrote: »
    The newer version of Walker and Nordmende TVs are the only TVs that i have come across that have both Irish and UK channels on the same list/screen for ease of use with no switching between lists. I have set up lots of them lately for Elderly people who cant handle 2 remotes.

2 posts recently with information regarding TVs with combined epg for both Saorview and satellite channels. A good development that will hopefully follow into the Saorview Connect combi boxes.

Can either of the 2 posters above or anyone else indicate which models include the combined epg and if possible post pics of the channel list? Useful information for anyone that's considering replacing a TV.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The models listed on this page have the Irish and Uk Channels on the same list/screen. http://www.walker.ie/site/productList/12 I will be setting up a 43" and a 50" this afternoon and ill be copying and cloning the channel list from 1 TV to the other. The Irish channels start at number 1 and go to number 22 and right after that the UK channels start at number 301 there is no gap between number 22 and number 301. Ill post some pics later.

Here are some pics of the combined channel list on the same screen on a Walker WPS 4317SM.

"note" I edited the channel name BBC rb1 and called it BBC3,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Here are some pics of the combined channel list on the same screen on a Walker WPS 4317SM.

"note" I edited the channel name BBC rb1 and called it BBC3,

Is the EPG full 7 day for satellite or is it just now and next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can the satellite channels be reordered as required?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, they can be reordered and deleted at will, but start from 301.

It's a big improvement over many previous generation combi TV's where Sat and Terr tuners were seperate listings, akin to the Walker combi STB

Good job Navarre on the info and pics, as I wouldn't be near one til Thursday to take snaps.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, they can be reordered and deleted at will, but start from 301.

So they can't be moved into the Saorview epg safe areas 1-299 for TV/Radio?

galtee boy wrote: »
    Is the EPG full 7 day for satellite or is it just now and next ?

Now and Next Epg for Satellite. only Freesat branded TVs have 7 day Epg

As byte said these Walker TVs are a big improvement over many previous generation combi TV's where Sat and Terr tuners were separate listings. The channel list i use is 1 i made up and copied from my own TV. After the saorview TV channels there is Irish Radio channels which i usually delete to bring the Irish and UK channels closer together. For the last year or so the shop i work with is selling loads of walker satellite and Saorview TVs. Its brilliant for elderly people or people who cant get the jest of using 2 remote controls. These TVs have all the channels together on 1 remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

As byte said these Walker TVs are a big improvement over many previous generation combi TV's where Sat and Terr tuners were separate listings. The channel list i use is 1 i made up and copied from my own TV. After the saorview TV channels there is Irish Radio channels which i usually delete to bring the Irish and UK channels closer together. For the last year or so the shop i work with is selling loads of walker satellite and Saorview TVs. Its brilliant for elderly people or people who cant get the jest of using 2 remote controls. These TVs have all the channels together on 1 remote.
    Does this mean you can't renumber the channels but can delete and move them around? Thanks in advance.

Does this mean you can't renumber the channels but can delete and move them around? Thanks in advance.

yes you can delete and reorder the channels. you cant turn 301 bbc1 into number 9,10,11 or any number like that. The Irish channels are numbered 1-22 the UK channels are numbered 301 upwards but they are all on the same list,screen menu what ever you want to call it. this is the only TV i have come across that has this. big improvement so it is. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@ Navarre.

What files are you using to update the channel lists on other Walker TV's ?

I'm curious. Are they still using SDX files ? If so you might want to look into using a channel editor for vestel (MediaBox Editor Studio) that allows you to import it and export back the dbs file and allow real channel renumbering of 1, 2 etc.

STB. wrote: »
    @ Navarre.

What files are you using to update the channel lists on other Walker TV's ?

I'm curious. Are they still using SDX files ? If so you might want to look into using a channel editor for vestel (MediaBox Editor Studio) that allows you to import it and export back the dbs file and allow real channel renumbering of 1, 2 etc.

Thanks STB. I will look into that later on, At the moment its great just to have the Irish and UK channels on the same screen on these TVs. Big step forward so it is.

The Cush wrote: »
    I'm looking at upgrading my current Sony W5810 combi TV, the single epg on the Walker TV is a plus for me.

This one has caught my eye - https://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-218873 , I assume it has the single epg?

Walker WP4K4017 (Vestel)

I purchased one of these a few weeks ago but just got around to setting it up properly this weekend.

Basically it's a 4K smart TV with Saorview and FTA satellite channels in a single list, no switching between tuners. Satellite channels start at 301, Saorview radio channels in the 200s can be deselected so that 301 follows Saorview channel 23.

Setting it up was straight forward, although I selected single satellite cable on first install instead of Diseqc switching, which I use, so had to go through first install again to access Diseqc switching, after initially setting up the FTA satellite channels to my liking. Luckily I was able to download my satellite list to USB before rebooting to factory setting and simply reloaded the list after reboot.

I have it on 3 sats via Diseqc with 4K UHD promo channels from the 3 sats.

One major snag I've come across is, with WiFi enabled the TV crashes when you select any of the BBC channels. It can be any of them HD or SD, BBC News HD, BBC1 NI HD, BBC Parliament etc. An internet access icon may momentarily appear in the top LH corner of the screen. Only disabling WiFi restores normal operation.

What surprised me while browsing the BBC channels I accidently hit the red button or text button and BBC text appeared and I could browse through it, no access to red button services that I could see only "loading" text.

There appears to be some software conflict between internet access and the channels carrying the BBC text/red button streams.

Did a manual check for a software update via internet and broadcast, none available.

I used this basic program to view and edit the channel list on my computer - https://sourceforge.net/projects/novasatcodx/?source=typ_redirect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Can you access digital teletext on the Saorview channels with it?

Apogee wrote: »
    Can you access digital teletext on the Saorview channels with it?

It's saorview approved, so yes.

The Cush wrote: »
    Walker WP4K4017 (Vestel)

One major snag I've come across is, with WiFi enabled the TV crashes when you select any of the BBC channels. It can be any of them HD or SD, BBC News HD, BBC1 NI HD, BBC Parliament etc. An internet access icon may momentarily appear in the top LH corner of the screen. Only disabling WiFi restores normal operation.

Change the country to UK instead of Ireland at the 1st install stage then when you input your UK channels they start at 901 the Irish
    saorview channels start at 801 so you will have to delete all the irish radio and the blank saorview numbers and then you will have irish from 801 to 810 and straight after you will have UK starting at 901. you will have no issues with internet or wifi once you do this.
    As i said in this thread "post 2" Vestel were made aware of the TVs freezing and restarting while connected to the Internet and programmed for Ireland.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105032055

Change the country to UK instead of Ireland at the 1st install stage then when you input your UK channels they start at 901 the Irish
    saorview channels start at 801 so you will have to delete all the irish radio and the blank saorview numbers and then you will have irish from 801 to 810 and straight after you will have UK starting at 901. you will have no issues with internet or wifi once you do this.
    As i said in this thread "post 2" Vestel were made aware of the TVs freezing and restarting while connected to the Internet and programmed for Ireland.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105032055

Thanks Navarre, I'd completely forgotten that thread, wasn't of interest to me at the time.

I'm going to leave the channels as they are for now, internet access on the TV isn't a big requirement for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i know people are a bit sniffy about Walker TV's but if it lists saorview and satellite in one list thats a big plus for me

whats the picture quality like?

fryup wrote: »
    whats the picture quality like?

I'm no expert comparing one screen to another, but OK to my eyes.

i know people are a bit sniffy about Walker TV's but if it lists saorview and satellite in one list thats a big plus for me
    The walker TV's are the biggest sellers in the shop i work for, I am setting them up each and everyday for people, having 1 remote for all Irish and UK channels all on the same screen with no source selecting multiple button presses is a big plus and also a 2 year warranty on all walker TVs. As a customer said to me today everything she wants is on 1 remote now Saorview/Satellite/Youtube and Netflix. Happy Days

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^

is it just the walkers that do it..or do other vestel models have the one list as well?

^^^^^^^^^^

is it just the walkers that do it..or do other vestel models have the one list as well?

Walker and Nordmende are the only 2 i know of

what model nordmende ?

what model nordmende ?

As far as i am aware both these models 32" NM32S272 and 40" NM40S272

The difference between Nordmende and Walker is Nordmende give a 1 years warranty while Walker give a 2 year warranty

and the only difference is the badge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

got the 55 inch walker satellite and saorview model i like were all the channels are on one listing satellite and saorview were other makes after pressing a few buttons between saorview and satellite to watch. picture is as good as an lg tv we had.. tv is grand the remote is like it was made by fisher price a coke bottle is made stronger than it got one for all remote put code in works better than the one that came with the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

. After the saorview TV channels there is Irish Radio channels which i usually delete to bring the Irish and UK channels closer together. For the last year or so the shop i work with is selling loads of walker satellite and Saorview TVs. Its brilliant for elderly people or people who cant get the jest of using 2 remote controls. These TVs have all the channels together on 1 remote.

rather than delete the Saorview Radio channels, can they not be moved to the very end of the list (similar to a Sky Box), so perhaps the radio from 200-208 could be relocated to perhaps 900-908 ? Some people DO use the radio stations on TV, even if just briefly for a sports result before going back to TV viewing.

And what about for example RTE Junior (which elderly people and many others will never watch or need) can that not be relocated to some high channel number so that it is no longer between the Irish channels and the start of the satellite channels ? It would mean less button presses going to BBC satellite from Irish channels by those who tend to use the up/down buttons rather than entering '301' or whatever.
    Saorview Info and Oireachtais are of course other channels that many viewers would prefer relocated to high channel numbers if possible (if they were in the way between the regular Irish channels and BBC etc during up/down channel changing)

Antenna wrote: »
    rather than delete the Saorview Radio channels, can they not be moved to the very end of the list (similar to a Sky Box), so perhaps the radio from 200-208 could be relocated to perhaps 900-908 ? Some people DO use the radio stations on TV, even if just briefly for a sports result before going back to TV viewing.

And what about for example RTE Junior (which elderly people and many others will never watch or need) can that not be relocated to some high channel number so that it is no longer between the Irish channels and the start of the satellite channels ? It would mean less button presses going to BBC satellite from Irish channels by those who tend to use the up/down buttons rather than entering '301' or whatever.
    Saorview Info and Oireachtais are of course other channels that many viewers would prefer relocated to high channel numbers if possible (if they were in the way between the regular Irish channels and BBC etc during up/down channel changing)

Nope, sorry the saorview channels including the radio can be only be moved in front of the satellite/UK channels. so if i set up the TV for Ireland then its 1-10 for the saorview TV channels and 301 on wards for the satellite channels, If its a smart TV then i set it up for UK and its 801-810 for saorview channels and 901 on wards for the satellite channels, As i said in a previous post i just delete the saorview radio channels which in turn moves the Irish and satellite TV channels closer together.

There is an option on the Walker TV to deselect the radio channels which removes them from view, no need to delete or move them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

sorry to butt in on this thread.... im thinking of getting Saorview.... do these TVs need an aerial on the roof to receive it?.
    I was told that an aerial sticking out of the back of the TV would work?

Advertisement