Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 become 1, how to get 2 cables into one on new tv

Options
  • 08-11-2017 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

First of all, apologies if this question has been asked before, I have searched for an answer but have not been succesful.
    We have an oldish Saorview combi box that provides Irish and UK tv channels to our even older digital tv (no digital tuner inside).
    We just got a reasonably cheap Sharp digital tv, (with internal tuner) on it.
    We have two cables coming out of the wall and going into the combibox, RF and LNB, then a HDMI cable going from the combibox into the tv. This is the setup we had with the old tv and so far we have just copied it.
    Ideally we would like to ditch the old Saorview combibox, its old and the interface is crap and not very user friendly.
    Problem 1: The Sharp TV only has one connection for an aerial, your standard (male?) connection. So even if I wanted to bypass the combibox I couldnt as I have two cables (one from a dish, one from an aerial) coming from the wall and only one place I can put it on tv.
    Problem 2: Even if problem one was solved do I have to have the combibox to get the UK channels. My Sharp tv says it is compatible with Saorview and Freeview, but I am now guessing that only refers to which country you are in at the time and you can only get one.
    Could anyone help, I have a feeling Problem 2 will rear its ugly head first meaning how to solve Problem 1 becomes somewhat irrelevant....:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Your combi box has two inputs - terrestrial (RF) and satellite (LNB). The satellite cable is used to receive the UK channels, whilst the terrestrial cable carries the Irish ones.

In short, it doesn't sound like you can ditch the combi box totally because your tv only has a terrestrial input. Your television only has a terrestrial tuner (i.e. it can't decode satellite signals). In order to ditch the combi box, you would need a tv which has both a satellite input and a terrestrial input.

Your tv is compatible with Freeview - but Freeview is just the UK version on Saorview, where the channels are broadcast and received with an aerial. Judging by the fact that you are currently using a satellite connection, it doesn't sound like you are in an area where the UK channels are receivable via aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

Thanks for that, I appreciate the reply. Looks like we will have to keep on using the crappy combo box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭emaherx

Croohur wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I appreciate the reply. Looks like we will have to keep on using the crappy combo box.

Of coarse you could now replace the crappy combo box and get a much more user friendly Freesat box for the UK channels and use the TV's tuner for Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

you bought the wrong tv
    should have got one with a satellite tuner built in.
    see can you change it

Yes, ultimately thats the problem, we bought the wrong tv. We needed Saorview + Freeview not Saorview or Freeview (read small print). We both just saw Saorview and Freeview on the box and just went "that'll be grand", not getting up close and looking at the fine print. I will have to get on to Tesco and see if I can return. TBH we dont watch massive amounts of regular programming, more streaming, but it would be nice to have a handy easy-to-use interface with just one remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes, ultimately thats the problem, we bought the wrong tv. We needed Saorview + Freeview not Saorview or Freeview (read small print). We both just saw Saorview and Freeview on the box and just went "that'll be grand", not getting up close and looking at the fine print. I will have to get on to Tesco and see if I can return. TBH we dont watch massive amounts of regular programming, more streaming, but it would be nice to have a handy easy-to-use interface with just one remote.

Most of the combi boxes are much easier to use than the majority of TVs with two tuners.
    Lots of those TVs do not allow you to edit the channel list and mix the Satellite and Terrestrial channels in the order you want.
    For some there are multiple remote key presses to change from a terrestrial channel to a satellite channel.

IMO, a good combi box with the present set up is likely as good as it gets.

For the "small print" it's not Saorview + Freeview you want as these are both terristrial services.

You also need a satellite tuner.
    Don't mix up Freesat and Freeview or you will be back where you are now.

A Humax Freesat box will give full 7 day EPG. Also the Humax remote will control your TV so you will only need one remote. It will also be cheaper than the difference between your TV and a Freesat TV and easier to use than a Freesat TV or a TV with a generic FTA Satellite tuner.

Also new Humax boxes have YouTube and Netflix.

emaherx wrote: »
    For the "small print" it's not Saorview + Freeview you want as these are both terristrial services.

You also need a satellite tuner.
    Don't mix up Freesat and Freeview or you will be back where you are now.
    Sweet Jeebus, I would definetely have gone and done that. Thanks for the heads up!

A Humax Freesat box will give full 7 day EPG. Also the Humax remote will control your TV so you will only need one remote. It will also be cheaper than the difference between your TV and a Freesat TV and easier to use than a Freesat TV or a TV with a generic FTA Satellite tuner.

Also new Humax boxes have YouTube and Netflix.

Something like this?:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Humax-HB-1100S-HD-TV-Freesat-Receiver-requires-Satellite-dish-/382209456504

I would shell out for something approx this price if it worked. Anything more and I would will be thinking "Nah. Come back old Saorview combibox - all is forgiven"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

Something like this?:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Humax-HB-1100S-HD-TV-Freesat-Receiver-requires-Satellite-dish-/382209456504

I would shell out for something approx this price if it worked. Anything more and I would will be thinking "Nah. Come back old Saorview combibox - all is forgiven"
    Actually what you wanted if possible was a freeview and freesat specified TV.. that way you can have a seven day epg for both sets of tuner's

The downside with a lot of UK sourced TVs is that you have to set the location to be uk for the epg to work on the sat tuner

Actually what you wanted if possible was a freeview and freesat specified TV.. that way you can have a seven day epg for both sets of tuner's

The downside with a lot of UK sourced TVs is that you have to set the location to be uk for the epg to work on the sat tuner

Ok. God almighty. I am actually reasonably clued in IT-wise with streaming and Apple TV and Googlecast, but at some point the tv side of things has streaked ahead and left me in the dust....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Don't forget there are no Freesat + Terrestrial combi boxes, so if you get a Freesat (rather than Free to Air satellite) receiver then you will need to also make arrangements to receive the Saorview channels separately (maybe TV tuner).

Something like this?:

Yes that would do. Of coarse you can continue using your combi box if you are happy enough with it. What you are gaining with the Freesat box is a complete EPG combined with Netflix and a remote which will work everything.

I am assuming your TV is Saorview capable and that you don't have recording in your current setup. The Freesat box you linked can record the current channel with a HDD attached but you will have no way of recording Irish Channels unless your TV can.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Sweet Jeebus, I would definetely have gone and done that. Thanks for the heads up!

OP this what your looking for in a TV, saorview, satellite
    and smart TV, Irish and UK channels all on the same "list" Screen

https://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32SM287

https://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-218866

Navarre wrote: »
    OP this what your looking for in a TV, saorview, satellite
    and smart TV, Irish and UK channels all on the same "list" Screen

https://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32SM287

https://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-218866

But does it give a full EPG?
    I'm assuming OP is reffering to their current combi box as "crappy" due to lack of decent EPG.

But does it give a full EPG?
    I'm assuming OP is reffering to their current combi box as "crappy" due to lack of decent EPG.

full EPG on Saorview channels now and next on UK. but in fairness anyone who can use a smart phone tablet or on a laptop can download and use www.tvguide.co.uk and set up their own EPG and use that to see whats on for the week ahead and get a full synopsis of the programme and watch trailers and so on. it can also be done thru the web browser on the TV. The decent thing about the TVs and why i recommend them is that all the channels are on the same menu plus there is only 1 remote and no hassle for some people changing sources.

full EPG on Saorview channels now and next on UK. but in fairness anyone who can use a smart phone tablet or on a laptop can download and use www.tvguide.co.uk and set up their own EPG and use that to see whats on for the week ahead and get a full synopsis of the programme and watch trailers and so on. it can also be done thru the web browser on the TV. The decent thing about the TVs and why i recommend them is that all the channels are on the same menu plus there is only 1 remote and no hassle for some people changing sources.

This is true, but it's pretty much what they already have with the combi box they have and the brand new TV that they just bought.

I'm not completely knocking it and there is no abousloutly perfect all in one solution, so there is always going to be a compromise somewhere. The OP needs to be aware of the Pros and Cons of the various solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The decent thing about the TVs and why i recommend them is that all the channels are on the same menu plus there is only 1 remote and no hassle for some people changing sources.

I'm looking at upgrading my current Sony W5810 combi TV, the single epg on the Walker TV is a plus for me.

This one has caught my eye - https://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-218873 , I assume it has the single epg?

You mentioned previously they are SatcoDX compatible , how is this done on these TVs?

The Cush wrote: »
    I'm looking at upgrading my current Sony W5810 combi TV, the single epg on the Walker TV is a plus for me.

This one has caught my eye - https://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-218873 , I assume it has the single epg?

You mentioned previously they are SatcoDX compatible , how is this done on these TVs?

The newer models are now coming with a ready to use "sat" UK channel list, I have my own channel list made up on a usb stick that i keep updated thru my own TV. if you buy the TV then drop me a Pm and i will go thru the Satcodx with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The newer models are now coming with a ready to use "sat" UK channel list, I have my own channel list made up on a usb stick that i keep updated thru my own TV. if you buy the TV then drop me a Pm and i will go thru the Satcodx with you.

Thanks, will do.

Just a flashback, I remember the SatcoDX channel lists published in the now defunct TeleSatellite International magazine.

This is true, but it's pretty much what they already have with the combi box they have and the brand new TV that they just bought.

That's true but the Sharp TV was bought for roughly the same price as he would have paid for the Walker/Nordmende range of saorview/satellite and smart TVs and he is still going to need some sort of external fta freesat receiver to view UK channels on this new Sharp TV. If my memory serves me correct nowadays the Sharp TVs are made in Slovakia along Akai, Alba, Bush, Goodmans, Technika and Tevion :)

Advertisement