Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Freesat TV's - Switching Antenna to Sat

Options
  • 13-03-2017 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased a LGUH650 2016 model, with a DVB-S2 tuner onboard for Freesat.

It's a ridiculously convoluted process to switch between Antenna & Satellite tuners, requiring at the very least 6 button presses to jump the divide. The workaround is to download the app below, which allows you to highlight favourites and combine terrestrial & satellite channels into a single list, effectively reducing the changeover from RTE to BBC to one press and about 2 seconds. I would far prefer to have such functionality available to me via the remote.

If anyone's considering an LG TV for an older friend or relative who's averse to anything too fiddly, the method of toggling between the inputs should give 'em pause for thought. Web OS 3.0 is nicely implemented overall, but how anyone thought the issues highlighted above were a good idea is baffling.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lge.app1&hl=en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have a LG telly and pressing the source button twice changes the input from satellite box to aerial input and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yeah muffler, if I had a Humax box connected via HDMI the process of shifting between terrestrial & satellite would be significantly more convenient.

I've emailed LG CS & followed up with a call & on both occasions, they've confirmed the only method I've found (using remote) to switch between tuners is the correct one:

1) Bring up the onscreen guide
    2) Press the red button to access programme mode
    3) Scroll across, then scroll up or down to select Antenna, Cable or Satellite
    4) Select the channel / program you want & press OK
    5) Choose between record or watch

My remote's below.

I can only toggle between TV & Radio using the button on the top right, but it can't switch between tuners. Likewise the input button seen directly below the power button lists USB & HDD's attached & anything else connected externally by HDMI or component cables.

LG-43LH615V-2-medium_large.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I recently purchased a LGUH650 2016 model, with a DVB-S2 tuner onboard for Freesat.

It's a ridiculously convoluted process to switch between Antenna & Satellite tuners, requiring at the very least 6 button presses to jump the divide. The workaround is to download the app below, which allows you to highlight favourites and combine terrestrial & satellite channels into a single list, effectively reducing the changeover from RTE to BBC to one press and about 2 seconds. I would far prefer to have such functionality available to me via the remote.

If anyone's considering an LG TV for an older friend or relative who's averse to anything too fiddly, the method of toggling between the inputs should give 'em pause for thought. Web OS 3.0 is nicely implemented overall, but how anyone thought the issues highlighted above were a good idea is baffling.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lge.app1&hl=en

The newer version of Walker and Nordmende TVs are the only TVs that i have come across that have both Irish and UK channels on the same list/screen for ease of use with no switching between lists. I have set up lots of them lately for Elderly people who cant handle 2 remotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Navarre wrote: »
    The newer version of Walker and Nordmende TVs are the only TVs that i have come across that have both Irish and UK channels on the same list/screen for ease of use with no switching between lists. I have set up lots of them lately for Elderly people who cant handle 2 remotes.

Glad to hear that ...... the Walker I have (few years old) requires multiple key presses to change from terrestrial channel to satellite channel.
    I gave up and use an STB instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It seems to be an issue that manufacturers don't consider when writing the software. They seem to assume that a satellite user will never need terrestrial and vice versa. I used to have a Samsung that needed 6 button presses to get from one to the other. When I contacted Samsung, the attitude seemed to be 'Yeah that's how it is. Tough!'

• Advertisement

Glad to hear that ...... the Walker I have (few years old) requires multiple key presses to change from terrestrial channel to satellite channel.
    I gave up and use an STB instead!

If its 1 of the older VS models you have , Then press the ok button on the remote and then press Red for Irish or Yellow for UK channels.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

donegal. wrote: »
    link not working?

LG TV Plus is the app

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

On LG press List --> red button --> use arrow to go between antenna and satellite its not perfect but quick enough when u get used to it.

hatchman wrote: »
    On LG press List --> red button --> use arrow to go between antenna and satellite its not perfect but quick enough when u get used to it.

That's a considerably more convenient method, thanks.

Someone should tell LG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Hello Yamanoto

Thanks for all the info on this topic.
    Does the app you refer to work offline after initial installation and set up
    I purchased one of these TVs for an elderly person who does not have WiFi
    After initial fiddling with it when I got home and could plug in both Antenna and Sat feed, I have concluded that it is a disaster and my elderly friend will not be able to manage it.
    I did set up a my channels list but even that is very difficult to switch from one channel to the next when you initially go into it

The App you mentioned is my only hope - if it works offline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

Hi Navarre,

Just got LG 43UJ670V for my father who has always struggled with remotes. The convoluted process of switching between antenna and sat has really annoyed me. Also, the Favourites filter has to be reapplied every time we switch from antenna to satellite. As a result, I'm considering getting rid of this TV already, after one evening with it.

Can you recommend any of the Walker or Nordmende TVs? Are any of them as good as LG?

The alternative is to get a new Satellite receiver, maybe a used Sky HD box, but I was glad to get away from a two remote system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I've posted this elsewhere but my LG TV takes about 14 keypresses to change from Sat to Terrestrial or vice versa first time after the tv is switched on. There's probably a shortcut that reduces that to somewhere near 9 but it would put me off buying an LG TV in future..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

cojobt wrote: »

The alternative is to get a new Satellite receiver, maybe a used Sky HD box, but I was glad to get away from a two remote system.

I'd recommend a combi box like this one:

http://www.freetv.ie/combo-box/

It's about €60...and it works fine. When you scan terrestrial it numbers the channels from 1 up and sticks the satellite channels immediately after them (My terrestrial channels run from 1 to 10 with BBC1 etc starting from 11) and you can get it pre-programmed with UK satellite channels so no searching required. You just do a terrestrial scan and Bob's your auntie's husband...

Hi Navarre,

Just got LG 43UJ670V for my father who has always struggled with remotes. The convoluted process of switching between antenna and sat has really annoyed me. Also, the Favourites filter has to be reapplied every time we switch from antenna to satellite. As a result, I'm considering getting rid of this TV already, after one evening with it.

Can you recommend any of the Walker or Nordmende TVs? Are any of them as good as LG?

Only get a used Sky HD box if you want the most frustrating experience of all.

If getting a set top box, then get one fit for purpose ...... and a Sky box is just not fit for FTA TV viewing unless you are a masochist! :)

Only get a used Sky HD box if you want the most frustrating experience of all.

If getting a set top box, then get one fit for purpose ...... and a Sky box is just not fit for FTA TV viewing unless you are a masochist! :)

My father has been using the Sky Freesat system for years now. It's far from perfect, but he is used to it now. Anything new is a major headache for him and for me.

My father has been using the Sky Freesat system for years now. It's far from perfect, but he is used to it now. Anything new is a major headache for him and for me.

Really?

Using a Sky box you select, using the remote, the channel you wish to view, from a list prepared by Sky, which you are prevented from altering to suit your own viewing needs.

On a FTA system you use the remote to select a channel to view from a list, which can be edited to suit your viewing needs.

You reckon it is 'a major headache' to do what exactly?

Use a different remote?

Not pay Sky what they charge for their 'Freesat from Sky'?
    http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/
    †For security reasons, Viewing Cards may be inactivated from time to time. In this situation, if you wish to continue to receive all encrypted Free to View channels, you will have to purchase a new viewing card at our then applicable standard charge.
    Maybe having the ability to time-shift and record without paying a monthly subscription to Sky is a major headache?

The Sky system is suited to those who want to receive channels from behind a paywall.
    It is designed and built and sold for that purpose.

It is nowhere near as convenient to use for FTA reception, and the box is crippled without extra payments being made to Sky.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I get so annoyed whenever I hear Sky Freesat" it's as bad as "HD Ready" ie, it's not really anything like as good are real HD and it's not really anything like as good as real Freesat.

Buy a genuine Freesat recorder and plug into the SKY cables, tell it your post code is BT1 or whichever region you want and that's it. No more payments, no more setting up channels. Timeshift full HD recording and series link that just works. The better boxes have universal remotes too just have to remember to press TV and either channel number or Source when swapping back and forth.

Combo boxes are fine if you don't want to record, and don't mind dropping in to relatives every so often to update channels. Similarly for Linux boxes but lots more bells and whistle.

I get so annoyed whenever I hear Sky Freesat" it's as bad as "HD Ready" ie, .

I hear it been called "Free to View" all the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Yes all this tech stuff is great when that's your game, been there done that etc. but for example in my own case you explain to elderly parents, that you "select source" on the tv remote and all happy for a couple of days, then you find someone has put the sat box on standby etc etc.

It's a shame the likes of LG as the OP said don't implement what seems a no brainer solution that wouldn't cost anything, just a software tweak.

Just a TV set, no boxes, one remote, you switch on the tv, it defaults to Rte1, then the first 5 channels are your terrestrial channels and your next 5 channels are your favourite FTV satellite channels.

This I bet would keep a lot of people happy and anyone that doesn't want to can just ignore the menu.

Not being aegist, but I'm talking the dual tuner Tv equivalent of a Dora phone.

I remember the 'auld fella, he got a heart attack and I got him his first mobile phone.
    Waste of time, after hours of explaining, there was always a problem, accidental dialling in his pocket, forgetting to end call, call credit vanished, forgetting numbers etc. and he just wouldn't bother with it in the end. He wasn't interested in learning, he just wanted to press a button and it would call.

Got him one of the clamshell Dora phones, where it's open to answer, close to end and there are three buttons "A", "B" and "C" for his 3 most used numbers. You just hold the buttons down and it rings.
    After 30 seconds, he was sold and he uses it everyday and it has given everyone peace of mind.

I know the phone bit is off topic, but for people who don't want any of this tech business then something like the phone I described is literally a lifesaver.

Why a huge tv manufacturer can't make a seamless tuner switch beats me.
    Instead of buying WebOs from Palm/Hp they should have bought Dora. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

exaisle wrote: »
    I've posted this elsewhere but my LG TV takes about 14 keypresses to change from Sat to Terrestrial or vice versa first time after the tv is switched on. There's probably a shortcut that reduces that to somewhere near 9 but it would put me off buying an LG TV in future..

and what make of LG do you have ?

I hear it been called "Free to View" all the time. :)

That is what it is ...... Free to View, provided you have a Sky branded STB and a Sky card to de-crypt the Sky FTV encrypted channels.

FTA channels have no encryption and are independent of Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Just a TV set, no boxes, one remote, you switch on the tv, it defaults to Rte1, then the first 5 channels are your terrestrial channels and your next 5 channels are your favourite FTV satellite channels.

As already said the Walker tv does the above.

The software on LG is most likely designed for the British market.
    People would either watch Freeview (Terrestrial) or Freesat (satellite), no need for a combined channel list.

Really?

Using a Sky box you select, using the remote, the channel you wish to view, from a list prepared by Sky, which you are prevented from altering to suit your own viewing needs.

On a FTA system you use the remote to select a channel to view from a list, which can be edited to suit your viewing needs.

You reckon it is 'a major headache' to do what exactly?

Use a different remote?

Not pay Sky what they charge for their 'Freesat from Sky'?
    http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

Maybe having the ability to time-shift and record without paying a monthly subscription to Sky is a major headache?

The Sky system is suited to those who want to receive channels from behind a paywall.
    It is designed and built and sold for that purpose.

It is nowhere near as convenient to use for FTA reception, and the box is crippled without extra payments being made to Sky.

It's pretty simple. He's 74, has got his head around WhatsApp, can copy and paste in Word, but struggles with the TV remote. He's used a Sky box for years, first as a subscription and then as FTA. The remote is big, the buttons are big, he knows how to get to the guide and navigate the channels.

With this LG, I've prepared 4 different ways to access channels and sources. Each one involves a specific sequence of clicks on a very small remote.

He has a learning block when it comes to remotes. I don't know why. We were one of the first houses I knew of to own a VCR in the 80s, but he could barely turn it on, let alone set the clock or record anything.

There may be other and better boxes out there, but he knows how to use the Sky box. That's why it's less of a headache for both of us.

Two remotes is better than one small remote with small buttons and a convoluted sequence.

Paying £25 for a card is preferable to coming home at the weekend and finding out he's been unable to watch BBC all week.

The 'Dora' version of the TV remote is exactly right. One big button for Saorview, one for Satellite, a channel list that can be programmed, and we're sorted.

So far the best solution for switching between sources is

List -- red button -- select Source

The best solution I've found to the channel list problem is

Programme manager -- edit all -- skip channels

In both Saorview and Freesat, I've skipped all the extra channels to have a smaller, more efficient list of channels. The Favourites list didn't work out as it would revert to 'All' instead of ' Favourites' each time the source was changed.

It very disappointing that these are the steps we have to take. Had I known I would have to buy a new Satellite receiver I would have looked at other TVs that didn't have Freesat built in.

I get so annoyed whenever I hear Sky Freesat" it's as bad as "HD Ready" ie, it's not really anything like as good are real HD and it's not really anything like as good as real Freesat.

Buy a genuine Freesat recorder and plug into the SKY cables, tell it your post code is BT1 or whichever region you want and that's it. No more payments, no more setting up channels. Timeshift full HD recording and series link that just works. The better boxes have universal remotes too just have to remember to press TV and either channel number or Source when swapping back and forth.

Combo boxes are fine if you don't want to record, and don't mind dropping in to relatives every so often to update channels. Similarly for Linux boxes but lots more bells and whistle.

Hi,
    Which box do you recommend? I need a nice big simple remote.

Yes all this tech stuff is great when that's your game, been there done that etc. but for example in my own case you explain to elderly parents, that you "select source" on the tv remote and all happy for a couple of days, then you find someone has put the sat box on standby etc etc.

It's a shame the likes of LG as the OP said don't implement what seems a no brainer solution that wouldn't cost anything, just a software tweak.

This I bet would keep a lot of people happy and anyone that doesn't want to can just ignore the menu.

Not being aegist, but I'm talking the dual tuner Tv equivalent of a Dora phone.

I remember the 'auld fella, he got a heart attack and I got him his first mobile phone.
    Waste of time, after hours of explaining, there was always a problem, accidental dialling in his pocket, forgetting to end call, call credit vanished, forgetting numbers etc. and he just wouldn't bother with it in the end. He wasn't interested in learning, he just wanted to press a button and it would call.

Got him one of the clamshell Dora phones, where it's open to answer, close to end and there are three buttons "A", "B" and "C" for his 3 most used numbers. You just hold the buttons down and it rings.
    After 30 seconds, he was sold and he uses it everyday and it has given everyone peace of mind.

I know the phone bit is off topic, but for people who don't want any of this tech business then something like the phone I described is literally a lifesaver.

Why a huge tv manufacturer can't make a seamless tuner switch beats me.
    Instead of buying WebOs from Palm/Hp they should have bought Dora. :D:D

Zimmerframe,

I second the Dora TV. Can we start a Kickstarter campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Zimmer , I think what you need is a new remote.

something fully programmable but without too many buttons on the remote. Maybe Harmony have one.

It's pretty simple. He's 74, has got his head around WhatsApp, can copy and paste in Word, but struggles with the TV remote. He's used a Sky box for years, first as a subscription and then as FTA. The remote is big, the buttons are big, he knows how to get to the guide and navigate the channels.

With this LG, I've prepared 4 different ways to access channels and sources. Each one involves a specific sequence of clicks on a very small remote.

He has a learning block when it comes to remotes. I don't know why. We were one of the first houses I knew of to own a VCR in the 80s, but he could barely turn it on, let alone set the clock or record anything.

There may be other and better boxes out there, but he knows how to use the Sky box. That's why it's less of a headache for both of us.

Two remotes is better than one small remote with small buttons and a convoluted sequence.

Paying €10 for a card is preferable to coming home at the weekend and finding out he's been unable to watch BBC all week.

The 'Dora' version of the TV remote is exactly right. One big button for Saorview, one for Satellite, a channel list that can be programmed, and we're sorted.

So far the best solution for switching between sources is

List -- red button -- select Source

The best solution I've found to the channel list problem is

Programme manager -- edit all -- skip channels

In both Saorview and Freesat, I've skipped all the extra channels to have a smaller, more efficient list of channels. The Favourites list didn't work out as it would revert to 'All' instead of ' Favourites' each time the source was changed.

It very disappointing that these are the steps we have to take. Had I known I would have to buy a new Satellite receiver I would have looked at other TVs that didn't have Freesat built in.

If he is using WhatsApp he is far ahead of me
    I don't really know what it does :D
    I do not even use the likes of Facebook, Twitter et al
    My phone is an 8 year old cast-off from one of my kids. I doubt it could do any of that even if I wanted to.

I do agree on the remote aspect though.
    I sometimes think there should be two remotes with such devices .... one simple one with large well-spaced buttons for 'everyday' basic use and the other 'expanded' one including buttons for menu access and settings etc etc.

A Sky remote has some 41 buttons!
    I bought a tv box recently and its remote has 13 buttons, all well spaced, even if the buttons are small.
    At least my thick fingers can hit them reliably.

I have no searched, but would expect there to be simple remotes with a small number of buttons, which can be programmed to suit the device/s in use.

My personal STB preference is for a combi even though every now and again a channel or two will need re-tuning.
    One list, edited by me, containing both Saorview & Sat channels in the order I want.
    It keeps the frustration levels to a minimum which might be more important to me than others :)
    A re-tune of some channels a few times per year is much more acceptable to me.

So maybe a Dora remote would be a half-way measure ..... time to start searching .......

:D

EDIT:

Dora
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro-4155-vHandleEasy-Universal-Infrared-Grey-White/dp/B0014F2CJC/ref=pd_sbs_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8HNSWA2MVRZ098BXTMVE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Remote-Massive-Buttons-Satillite/dp/B0011OVNHI

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Button-TV-Universal-Remote/dp/B00011R47U

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-t-miller/television-remotes-designed-for-seniors_b_3371888.html

http://www.bigbuttonremotes.com/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RW1YL5A/ref=psdc_4085771_t2_B0014F2CJC

There seems to be quite a number of remotes out there that might be suitable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

donegal. wrote: »
    Zimmer , I think what you need is a new remote.

something fully programmable but without too many buttons on the remote. Maybe Harmony have one.

I don't think so, have had all the Phillips prontos since smart remotes were in their infancy, and now I have both the Harmony elite and ultimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You mean like this

430071.jpg

430072.jpg

430073.jpg

Just get an enigma2 box. One remote.

He can use the up down buttons for channel change or the numbers or scroll down the list and press ok.

Advertisement