Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst scam you've fallen for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on the buying rounds Craic

Few years ago I was in a bar on new year eve

Waiting for friends to join me

Was minding my own business at the bar when a group of maybe 8 lads (early to mid 20s) started chatting to me etc etc. I exchanged a few friendly words (think it was about football results, something mundane anyway) was a good atmosphere for New Years.

one of them out of nowhere decides to pay for my pint. I was surprised but said thanks very much and went back to my seat.

About half an hour later I was coming back from the jacks when passing the group the ring leader stopped me and said “ah there you are, it’s your round now mate, here John wants a Heineken, I’ll have a Guinness, mick wants a coors, Larry wants a vodka and coke” etc etc. There was around 8 of them so would’ve cost a fair amount to get them all a drink.

I said eh what, I’m not in your group. Then yer man tried to get aggro and started almost threatening. I said lads I’m not in your group but if it suits I’ll buy you specifically a pint back to level things and call it quits.

I then did this, and in meantime my own friends arrived in. Brought the pint over to him said thanks and see ya. Noticed that once I was in a group of my own their smart arsery was replaced with a sly surly type of attitude.

Later that night in a nightclub that same group were going around mouldy drunk and trying to start fights.

Not so much a scam as attempt at intimidation I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

6541 wrote: »
    One would wonder why did I buy jocks in a pub ... .

Well because you thought they were a genuine stolen/shoplifted product

Delighted you got scammed !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I spent €200 on a fancy penis extension kit about 15 years ago. Honest to God it's hilarious when I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Lavdogg

Not a scam just pure stupidity.

I had never ordered via deliveroo before and the missus ordered us a nice take away for approx 30 quid.

Driver arrived and i handed him over the money along with a 5 euro tip.

Sitting down to eat the grub and I get a phone call from the delivery guy thanking me so much for the very generous tip and it was hard for him at the time as he was a student.

Told the other half, mentioning how strange it was that this fella was chuffed with a fiver tip and she looks at me dead in the eyes and says I paid by card 🀦*♂️🀦*♂️

Was too embarrassed to ask for it back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Lavdogg wrote: »
    Not a scam just pure stupidity.

I had never ordered via deliveroo before and the missus ordered us a nice take away for approx 30 quid.

Driver arrived and i handed him over the money along with a 5 euro tip.

Sitting down to eat the grub and I get a phone call from the delivery guy thanking me so much for the very generous tip and it was hard for him at the time as he was a student.

Told the other half, mentioning how strange it was that this fella was chuffed with a fiver tip and she looks at me dead in the eyes and says I paid by card ��*♂️��*♂️

Was too embarrassed to ask for it back!

Well, console yourself with the notion that you made him very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Not a scam per say but cute none the less . Was with a Friend of mine decided as it was their birthday that Ill buy dinner before heading out for the night for both us my treat. In any event sitting in the Indian restaurant and my friend in front of the waiter couldnt decide to have the Chicken Jalfrazi or Lamb Bhuna.... ""Would you mind if i ordered both?" I though it was quite a funny quip and sniggered thinking ha good one can you imagine.......... It wasnt a funny remark my mate proceeded to order 2 main meals even the waiter asked curiously "Are you sure 2 main meals?" :eek: So instead of a bill for 2 i got nailed for a meal for 3 :D
    In fairness both plates were cleared !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

razorblunt wrote: »
    I remember my Accounting teacher for the Junior Cert telling us that if our parents had any spare cash to throw it into Eircom. He even said "if the can remortgage for the cash they should".

If you are dealing with the irish government you are going to get ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not a scam per say but cute none the less . Was with a Friend of mine decided as it was their birthday that Ill buy dinner before heading out for the night for both us my treat. In any event sitting in the Indian restaurant and my friend in front of the waiter couldnt decide to have the Chicken Jalfrazi or Lamb Bhuna.... ""Would you mind if i ordered both?" I though it was quite a funny quip and sniggered thinking ha good one can you imagine.......... It wasnt a funny remark my mate proceeded to order 2 main meals even the waiter asked curiously "Are you sure 2 main meals?" :eek: So instead of a bill for 2 i got nailed for a meal for 3 :D
    In fairness both plates were cleared !;)

Jasus I just hope they were a good friend of yours. They were taking the liberties there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

CruelCoin wrote: »
    On holidays in Bangkok, Thailand.

Was walking to a temple, when a policeman told us it was closed that day.

An accomplice then sprang out of nowhere to offer a Tuk-Tuk tour, and i said fuggit, why not.
    Drives you around the city a bit then makes a stop at some obviously in on it jewelry shops, etc.

I enjoyed the drive though, so not a total loss.

Corruption is a hell of a thing.

One of the oldest tricks in the book. The policeman wasn't a policeman (or, VERY ulikely he was, anyhow). I don't know how the average Somchai in Thailand gets away with wearing uniforms etc. to mimmick officials and no one bats an eyelid.

As you said, in this scenario, as long as you don't part with your cash for a suit or gems, the only thing wasted is your time and often it can be a bit of craic if you have the time to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    One of the oldest tricks in the book. The policeman wasn't a policeman (or, VERY ulikely he was, anyhow). I don't know how the average Somchai in Thailand gets away with wearing uniforms etc. to mimmick officials and no one bats an eyelid.

As you said, in this scenario, as long as you don't part with your cash for a suit or gems, the only thing wasted is your time and often it can be a bit of craic if you have the time to burn.

The driver was quite good, and very chatty, we got a proper historical tour, that was actually very good!

Lasted half the day, cost nothing (he gets a cut from the shops, but I didn't buy anything).
    I then hired him out for the rest of the day to continue the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭josip

On holidays in Bangkok, Thailand.

Was walking to a temple, when a policeman told us it was closed that day.

An accomplice then sprang out of nowhere to offer a Tuk-Tuk tour, and i said fuggit, why not.
    Drives you around the city a bit then makes a stop at some obviously in on it jewelry shops, etc.

I enjoyed the drive though, so not a total loss.

Corruption is a hell of a thing.

Temples are a favourite for them in Bangkok.
    There was one place on the Khaosan Road where you'd save a couple of minutes to the hostel by going through the temple.
    But come evening, the police would wait for drunk Western tourists and do a traditional wallet check to find, waaahhhey, a small pouch of hash.
    So you'd give them a few dollars to let you off.
    One guy with us got caught twice in the one night, he was raging.

I have another in Bangkok.

We went for some drinks on Pat Pong (the road where you can find those "ping-pong" shows, don't judge me, i'm human).

Up some stairs to a strip-bar, and they start doing some ping-pong shows, some blowing darts through blowpipes in their ahem....to pop balloons, etc. Fascinating stuff altogether.

Anyway, we get some drinks, and then I notice, **** lads, we're the only westerners here and all of the bouncers and strippers have drinks also. Bugger.

I point this out to the lads, and we try to leave, only to be confronted by what can only be described as a literal wall of angry hookers demanding we pay the entire clubs tab.
    Some shouting later (threatening to call the tourist police works wonders btw), we manage to leave with only paying for our own drinks. Ran down the road, got into a taxi, stopped halfway and changed vehicle, then back to the hostel.

I've never put that story on paper before.

Stay on the ground floor in Bangkok lads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Paid a tout €200 for a ticket to the Coldplay Croke Park gig a couple of years ago. One of those ones you print off at home. Got to the gate to be told it was already used.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm ashamed to say I fell for a phishing scam last year. I'm normally very security conscious, but the text claiming to be from BOI looked genuine as it came from the same source as all the other BOI texts. Thankfully the guards caught the fooker and I got my money back. I was kicking myself for letting it happen though.

I got the same thing from AIB the other night, but I didn't fall for it. I just reported it to AIB. Same as you, I thought it was from AIB because of the text message, and I could see the previous messages from AIB in the thread, but I went to the website from my computer and a message on the home page said that my AIB Visa card had a suspicious transaction. If I went via the link on my phone, I may not have been any of the wiser.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I got the same thing from AIB the other night, but I didn't fall for it. I just reported it to AIB. Same as you, I thought it was from AIB because of the text message, and I could see the previous messages from AIB in the thread, but I went to the website from my computer and a message on the home page said that my AIB Visa card had a suspicious transaction. If I went via the link on my phone, I may not have been any of the wiser.
    Yeah I've obviously heard of these phishing scams before, but I always assumed they would come from a different number pretending to be the bank, not the exact same number. That's what threw me. So me thinking I was stopping a "suspicious direct debit mandate," I was actually authorising it. Fortunately for me the scammer was in Ireland and not somewhere in the middle of Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Along the lines of the Bangkok stories. Not so much a scam but we were still in the first two weeks of our travels so were still a bit naïve.

We arrived in Hanoi in Vietnam and got a taxi at the airport. We agreed 15 USD or something to the hotel, half way through the journey he says Vietnamese Dong only, we hadn't any so he stopped at an ATM. Having just come from Laos, the conversion rates were completely different and we never looked up the rates, this was before smartphones etc.
    My friend was accompanied to the ATM and the guy was just pointing at an amount. 4 million dong or something! Went with it anyway. He tried dropping us to a different hotel, obviously to get some commission, we made him bring us to our booked one and away he went. When checking in, the staff were asking for a lot less for a 4 night stay than what we just gave the taxi man. Turns out we gave him 180 USD or something.

Silly us. Lesson learned. We were a lot less trusting and more vigilant after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I have another in Bangkok.

We went for some drinks on Pat Pong (the road where you can find those "ping-pong" shows, don't judge me, i'm human).

Up some stairs to a strip-bar, and they start doing some ping-pong shows, some blowing darts through blowpipes in their ahem....to pop balloons, etc. Fascinating stuff altogether.

Anyway, we get some drinks, and then I notice, **** lads, we're the only westerners here and all of the bouncers and strippers have drinks also. Bugger.

I point this out to the lads, and we try to leave, only to be confronted by what can only be described as a literal wall of angry hookers demanding we pay the entire clubs tab.
    Some shouting later (threatening to call the tourist police works wonders btw), we manage to leave with only paying for our own drinks. Ran down the road, got into a taxi, stopped halfway and changed vehicle, then back to the hostel.

I've never put that story on paper before.

When in BKK (or anywhere, tbh) and you want to visit a ping-pong show, insist on paying an entrance fee. If they insist on "no charge", order your drinks right away and pay UP FRONT, do not build up a 'bin'. That way, when you do decide to leave, you've already paid.

I've spent some time in BKK and Thailand in general. Anytime we meet backpackers who insist they must 'experience' a ping-pong I give them them advise and it's never let them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭54and56

Solid advice.

I lived there for 3 years and the only times I ever had any hassle were from Tuk Tuk & Taxi Drivers seeking to take advantage and venturing into an upstairs ping pong bar in Patpong with some visiting friends which went pear shaped as we left, bouncers blocking the door until we paid some phantom bar tab we'd apparently built up. It wasn't a mega amount (€50 or so) and was definitely in excess to the drinks bought for ourselves or the entertainers who hang around looking for "lady drinks".

We said we'd pay 1,000 Baht (about €25) and leave without any hassle or we'd call the Tourist police and let them sort it out.

Once the 1,000 Baht was produced the bouncers melted away and we were out the gap.

Apart from those experiences Bangkok and Thailand in general was always a very safe happy place to visit and/or live for me.

The only other advice I'd give is always always always agree a fare with a Tuk Tuk driver in advance and always insist taxi drivers turn on their meter. If they say it's not working, get out, no exceptions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

smurfjed wrote: »
    Friend's maid got enchanted by an online "American Serviceman", they chatted online and he convinced her to send him money, this went on a number of times, she was basically borrowing that money from my old drunken and horny friend, it all ended when the friend got called by the police to bring his maid to explain her money laundering. She had sent something like €80,000

And yes it was a friend.

Drat! Same thing happened to my Butler one time.

One from Egypt:

Paying a taxi driver, I was meant to get a 50pound note in my change, but i got a 50piaster note (0.5 pounds).

That's pretty common in poorer countries that have small units of currency in paper notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

getting married :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The old Dublin taxi driver scam of the 80's. We were on a school tour to Galway but the return bus could only go to Connolly Station Dublin.
    When we arrived at Connolly Station, a group of taxi drivers met us as they overheard that we would be getting the train to Laytown.
    They "informed" us that there was a 24 hour rail strike which was common in the 80's. We fell for it and got the taxi to Laytown quadrupling the transport costs. Needless to say there was no rail strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Voting for someone who said things were getting boomier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just on the buying rounds Craic

Few years ago I was in a bar on new year eve

Waiting for friends to join me

Was minding my own business at the bar when a group of maybe 8 lads (early to mid 20s) started chatting to me etc etc. I exchanged a few friendly words (think it was about football results, something mundane anyway) was a good atmosphere for New Years.

one of them out of nowhere decides to pay for my pint. I was surprised but said thanks very much and went back to my seat.

About half an hour later I was coming back from the jacks when passing the group the ring leader stopped me and said “ah there you are, it’s your round now mate, here John wants a Heineken, I’ll have a Guinness, mick wants a coors, Larry wants a vodka and coke” etc etc. There was around 8 of them so would’ve cost a fair amount to get them all a drink.

I said eh what, I’m not in your group. Then yer man tried to get aggro and started almost threatening. I said lads I’m not in your group but if it suits I’ll buy you specifically a pint back to level things and call it quits.

I then did this, and in meantime my own friends arrived in. Brought the pint over to him said thanks and see ya. Noticed that once I was in a group of my own their smart arsery was replaced with a sly surly type of attitude.

Later that night in a nightclub that same group were going around mouldy drunk and trying to start fights.

Not so much a scam as attempt at intimidation I suppose

Reminds me of a chap I knew years ago.
    At the start of the night he would always buy shots for a group of people. Sometimes it would be for the group I knew him with and sometimes you'd see him do it with others he knew.

Most drinks (and shots) were 3 euro as it was a mid-week special. So he'd buy shots for about 5-7 people then throughout the night systematically tap those same people for a drink. However he would ask for a JD & coke (6 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

I went on a booze trip to Prague. Decided to buy jewelry for the mrs spend ages in a place on a street like Grafton street picking a necklace. The lady was attractive to say the least and pushed a sell on something more than I was expecting to pay. I arrived home with the present wrapped and it was the classic switcheroo. Turned out to be a cheap bracelet. I was too wrote off from the time over there to even raise a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I was approached about 3 years ago by what looked like a Buddhist monk on Abbey Street, Dublin. He smiled and he put a beaded bracelet on my wrist. He then produced a notebook wishing for me to write my name down and to give him €5 towards the bracelet. I was taken back by this so I just gave in a euro instead. I walked away and left him there with a face like thunder. I thought it was quite a cheeky tactic he used, his little scam backfired on him though.

I also stupidly called a gutter repair "company" I found online. I should have known something was up because he had a rather put on posh accent. Anyway on the day of the appointment 4 big guys turn up in a white van and they ask to have a look at the attic. They tell me that there's damage inside the attic and they say that they can do a sealing job for €2k. When I objected the guy with the "posh" accent tells me that they can do a temporary job with a six month guarantee for €1k instead. I told them rather firmly that all I wanted done was my gutter. He changes to a surly tone and does the guttering instead, charging €70. The gutter was still leaking afterwards so I don't think himself and his four cronies actually done anything. They were obviously just along as an intimidatory tactic to try and bully me into accepting their original offer. I was afraid to report them afterwards in case they came around at a later date and burgled my house. I was kicking myself afterwards for being so naive and gullible to hire someone like that. Next time I'll ask for a local recommendation on Facebook. My Dad done the guttering a week later and he saw no damage whatsoever when he checked the attic, neither did the surveyor when I was in the process of buying the house. It was obviously a total scam and the big guys were brought along to try and intimidate me. Utter scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The obligatory extortionate drinks for the girls in strip clubs is another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was approached about 3 years ago by what looked like a Buddhist monk on Abbey Street, Dublin. He smiled and he put a beaded bracelet on my wrist. He then produced a notebook wishing for me to write my name down and to give him €5 towards the bracelet. I was taken back by this so I just gave in a euro instead. I walked away and left him there with a face like thunder. I thought it was quite a cheeky tactic he used, his little scam backfired on him though.

I also stupidly called a gutter repair "company" I found online. I should have known something was up because he had a rather put on posh accent. Anyway on the day of the appointment 4 big guys turn up in a white van and they ask to have a look at the attic. They tell me that there's damage inside the attic and they say that they can do a sealing job for €2k. When I objected the guy with the "posh" accent tells me that they can do a temporary job with a six month guarantee for €1k instead. I told them rather firmly that all I wanted done was my gutter. He changes to a surly tone and does the guttering instead, charging €70. The gutter was still leaking afterwards so I don't think himself and his four cronies actually done anything. They were obviously just along as an intimidatory tactic to try and bully me into accepting their original offer. I was afraid to report them afterwards in case they came around at a later date and burgled my house. I was kicking myself afterwards for being so naive and gullible to hire someone like that. Next time I'll ask for a local recommendation on Facebook. My Dad done the guttering a week later and he saw no damage whatsoever when he checked the attic, neither did the surveyor when I was in the process of buying the house. It was obviously a total scam and the big guys were brought along to try and intimidate me. Utter scum!

Is the bit in bold a joke?

Have you never seen cowboy builders? Most of the time the cowboys are recommended by some so called friends.

Advertisement