Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst scam you've fallen for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Belt is rolled up and you are asked to pick the centre -usually with a biro or something, the belt is then opened , and invariably you lose .
    The scam is switching the ends of the belt as it is unwound.
    I'd like to be able to visualise that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Could you explain that "switcheroo" trick? I don't quite follow how it got to 4 times the value.

You mean to say they caught him?

Dodgy taxis won't ever park outside your hotel in case you complain, they'll say something about roadworks and leave you a little bit away where you feel isolated.
    £80 would have been around 160,000 lira back in the day. After I gave the taxi driver, say three 50,000 lira notes, he then says I only gave him three 5,000 lira notes which he's switched and shows me.
    You're only just in the country and doubt easily sets in that maybe you did mix up all those zeroes.

Bear in mind that because the card over the meter was hiding the digit '1' in 100,000, the fare was already (over) double what it should have been.

No, never caught him. Police would never have even investigated it, just recorded it. Probably covered by work business insurance as long as they had a police report so that staff aren't likely to make it up.
    Even if workplaces don't claim from insurance I would expect most business to reimburse their employees for any loss incurred while travelling on their behalf.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I have just missed my train/bus and need 2 euro to get home, twice.
    I didn't fall for that one. But I did have the same guy try it on me twice. The second time he tried it on me I got annoyed. To think he'd tried it on so many others in the meantime that he couldn't remember me. I tried to call him out but I didn't get any way near as as much satisfaction as I'd hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

CAR PARK SCAM: BEWARE!

Please BE WARNED! Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam whilst out shopping.

Here's how the scam works:

Two very good-looking 20-21 year-old girls of eastern European origin come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot.

They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T- shirts.
    window-washing-is-50-work-50-wtf-peep-show-17-photos-1841.gif

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead they ask you for a lift to another supermarket.

You agree and they both get in the back seat.

On the way there, they start undressing, until both are completely naked.

Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet!

I had my wallet stolen twice yesterday.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Please BE WARNED! Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever 'Eastern European' scam whilst out shopping.

Two very good-looking 20-21 year-old girls of eastern European origin come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot.

They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T- shirts.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead they ask you for a lift to another supermarket.

Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet!

Am I supposed to fall for that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

WWhat trick is that? Please explain.

https://youtu.be/VVC7bU2bL2U

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T- shirts.https://www.chaostrophic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/window-washing-is-50-work-50-wtf-peep-show-17-photos-1841.gif

Yawn. Already told much better by Ronin earlier in the thread. Do try and keep up ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110955729&postcount=211

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Worst scam for me was lending over €4k to a friend....

Long story very short, he rang asking could come over.
    I did later that day, he broke down crying stating they would lose the house they were renting....

So I transferred some the next day, he then came looking for more not long after.... Promised to pay within 2 months....

Never happened but he was injured and out of work for a time so didn't question or ever ask....

Turns out he got a pay out in high 5 figures and never told me.... I still never questioned and after a few weeks in passing just said ah have you heard any more of the injury claim they take forever.....

His reply, man fluck you etc etc and what you going to do sue me.... So in the end after court and costs I'm down over €5k he paid back €1,900 over 4 years and never got the rest.....

What a flucking a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Friend deserves a visit from some heavies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

The attractive woman who approached me in a bar that turned out to be a hooker.

And where was said bar?

Strictly for research purposes of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

For a person who uses the word 'convivial', I thought you might spell 'too' correctly!

'too' means as well or also. 'To' is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

fryup wrote: »
    The old american guy who used to hang around dublin city centre years back...he use to spin a yarn saying he was mugged the night before and his wallet was taken and needs the taxi fare to the american embassy....first time i encountered him i fell for it..then i read an article in the herald about him, seemingly he was doing this rouze up & down the east coast for years.

Didn't know whether to feel angry or pity for him, cause its a pretty pathetic way to go through life.

btw - is he still around?

That one has got me thinking now, I didn't know that was a known scam.

I once gave €20 to a very distressed Scotsman on St Stephens Green who said he had just come from the airport on a bus and when he went to get off, his luggage was gone with all his clothes, money, documents, etc.

Up until this very minute, I thought I had done a good deed.:confused:

Turns out he got a pay out in high 5 figures and never told me....
    How did you find out it was that much in the end?

I'd have mocker with the way he cried like a baby!

fineso.mom wrote: »
    'too' means as well or also. 'To' is correct.
    I misread it as "I didn't deserve it too" instead of "I didn't deserve to"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭riddles

Paying the top rate tax in Ireland is a scam I fall for monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How did you find out it was that much in the end?

I'd have mocker with the way he cried like a baby!

Cause he was boasting about it to others and when I was over they had after buying 2 brand new laptops, American fridge, new beds, couch, new bill phones top of the range etc etc....

Neither even working at that time.... She hasn't worked in at least 8 years and he is out 3 or so years now....

Living off the state in a council property which was done up to the point of a huge extension with everything brand new throughout.

Cause he was boasting about it to others and when I was over they had after buying 2 brand new laptops, American fridge, new beds, couch, new bill phones top of the range etc etc....

Neither even working at that time.... She hasn't worked in at least 8 years and he is out 3 or so years now....

Living off the state in a council property which was done up to the point of a huge extension with everything brand new throughout.
    Well just as long as you remember that you can use him as your punch until the day he makes his coffin. And if he gets sarcastic with, all you need to do is refer to the fact that he cried like a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Worst scam for me was lending over €4k to a friend....

Long story very short, he rang asking could come over.
    I did later that day, he broke down crying stating they would lose the house they were renting....

So I transferred some the next day, he then came looking for more not long after.... Promised to pay within 2 months....

Never happened but he was injured and out of work for a time so didn't question or ever ask....

Turns out he got a pay out in high 5 figures and never told me.... I still never questioned and after a few weeks in passing just said ah have you heard any more of the injury claim they take forever.....

His reply, man fluck you etc etc and what you going to do sue me.... So in the end after court and costs I'm down over €5k he paid back €1,900 over 4 years and never got the rest.....

What a flucking a hole.

Something like that happened to a friend of mine. The lad who he loaned to money too, was away on holidays. He came home to no TV, games consoles, and a few other bits missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That one has got me thinking now, I didn't know that was a known scam.

I once gave €20 to a very distressed Scotsman on St Stephens Green who said he had just come from the airport on a bus and when he went to get off, his luggage was gone with all his clothes, money, documents, etc.

Up until this very minute, I thought I had done a good deed.:confused:

Don’t worrying you did, if he’s a true Scottish fella he’s still spending that twenty quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got a bloody counterfeit note the other night

Only discovered yesterday it was fake. It was ah get urself a drink with this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Got a bloody counterfeit note the other night

Only discovered yesterday it was fake. It was ah get urself a drink with this

What denomination was it? €50, 20, 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭riddles

Seatwave was not a good experience. Acted in haste bought expensive tickets for a gig in Wembley. Realized I could not go so I advertised the tickets for sale on seatwave for about 60% of original value.

Was pleasantly surprised there was a buyer almost instantly. The deal was you send the tickets and then the cash is paid to you. Buyers locked in via their credit card. Easy.

I sent off the tickets registered post and then wait. No money seems forthcoming. Eventually seatwave tell me the buyer can’t go to the gig and returned the tickets to them. They can try and sell or for a nice admin fee will return them to me.

Of course they never sold them. I found some people in London who could take the tickets for free. They met the seatwave person in a pub near wembley the night of the gig. They said she had an envelope with loads of tickets and was taking cash on ticket collection. Obviously they had quite a few other “buyers” that were also unable to attend - that cost me 500-600€ and a lot of annoyance. I think they are shut down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

One I did fall for years ago thanks to my gulible older sister and a Italian heading to the airport and had been at an expo to trade his leather coats.....

Paid €50 for three jackets I never wore and the smell off them even though new they were in their sh1te leather....

That's the worst luckily.

My boyfriend was caught with this too. In Blanchardstown Car Park, he was accosted by a Sales Rep for Armani...who had just left a few outlets he was visiting in the centre showing off his latest wears to his Clients (all the big names in the centre) . Fancy suit and starts showing him this big gaudy gold watch. All styled look the part. He wanted to sell his 3 sample jackets to get some waterford crystal for his wife... He was showing him the "armani" jackets made of bloody Moose hair or something exotic, the see through jacket bags were labelled armani and he made a point of showing him the Armani tags under the plastic. Alas he handed over 80 Euro.
    He Got home all delighted with his designer jackets.:rolleyes:
    I told him to closely look at the armani tags.... hand stitched on and cut out roughly with thread lol. they were pure muck. Alas his mate got done a few weeks prior in the same spot but was too embarresed to admit at the time:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Nigeria? I thought you said Belfast!

That is where is was claiming to be from. Total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What denomination was it? €50, 20, 10?

€5

put up against a real €5 and its a little bit smaller

obv could be much worse but annoying all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

My boyfriend was caught with this too. In Blanchardstown Car Park, he was accosted by a Sales Rep for Armani...who had just left a few outlets he was visiting in the centre showing off his latest wears to his Clients (all the big names in the centre) . Fancy suit and starts showing him this big gaudy gold watch. All styled look the part. He wanted to sell his 3 sample jackets to get some waterford crystal for his wife... He was showing him the "armani" jackets made of bloody Moose hair or something exotic, the see through jacket bags were labelled armani and he made a point of showing him the Armani tags under the plastic. Alas he handed over 80 Euro.
    I told him to closely look at the armani tags.... hand stitched on and cut out roughly with thread lol. they were pure muck. Alas his mate got done a few weeks prior in the same spot but was too embarresed to admit at the time:pac::p

anyone who hands over 80 quid in a carpark is a serious idiot. i wouldnt even buy a real armani jacket if i had the money because im not a dumbass and i can get a decent jack for under 500 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kyler_87

Eircom shares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

kyler_87 wrote: »
    Eircom shares

I still loathe the sight of these three card tricksters.

NWS_2014-03-06_BUS_001_30893707_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

in fairness the only way these would not be fake is if they were stolen , so no sympathy for your bf .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The I Love You virus

Advertisement