Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst scam you've fallen for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Organised religion.

So successful it gets tax breaks, uses the education system to indoctrinate children and not only do most of its victims actually defend it but some are prepared to die for it.

The greatest scam of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

F**cking Kickstarter. Have had more successful results than not but I still wouldn't touch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Phone insurance is the worst one I can think of. Was it even a legit insurance provider I was registered with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fell for the fake aftershave scam in London when I’m moved there as a naive graduate. Oxford street was rife with them when I moved there in the mid 90s. Took me a while to work out that Armani aftershave was pish...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One I did fall for years ago thanks to my gulible older sister and a Italian heading to the airport and had been at an expo to trade his leather coats.....

Paid €50 for three jackets I never wore and the smell off them even though new they were in their sh1te leather....

That's the worst luckily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i bought "Gillette mach 3" blades on moore street one time, they nearly cut the face off me when i used them, blood everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One I did fall for years ago thanks to my gulible older sister and a Italian heading to the airport and had been at an expo to trade his leather coats.....

Paid €50 for three jackets I never wore and the smell off them even though new they were in their sh1te leather....

That's the worst luckily.

I had great craic with that lad outside a garage in Johnstown or somewhere along the old Cork Dublin road.
    He starts with "gifting" you a jacket, then asking for a contribution towards another couple of jackets. I gept trying to make off with the "gifted" jacket, thanking him profusely while saying that, unfortunately, the other items just weren't to my taste.
    This went on for about 10 minutes until I finally gave him back the jacket and he finally stopped trying to get money off me:D
    It was highly entertaining.

"Hmm, I'm afraid that doesn't fit me very well, but I love the jacket I'm wearing which you gave me. Thank's so much!! I have to go now."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

54&56 wrote: »
    Organised religion.

So successful it gets tax breaks, uses the education system to indoctrinate children and not only do most of its victims actually defend it but some are prepared to die for it.

The greatest scam of all time.

Saw the scientology building when taking the number 4 towards Monkstown in Merrion Square. The feckers have a cute office though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Saw the scientology building when taking the number 4 towards Monkstown in Merrion Square. The feckers have a cute office though :D

Don't forget the one out in firhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I had great craic with that lad outside a garage in Johnstown or somewhere along the old Cork Dublin road.
    He starts with "gifting" you a jacket, then asking for a contribution towards another couple of jackets. I gept trying to make off with the "gifted" jacket, thanking him profusely while saying that, unfortunately, the other items just weren't to my taste.
    This went on for about 10 minutes until I finally gave him back the jacket and he finally stopped trying to get money off me:D
    It was highly entertaining.

"Hmm, I'm afraid that doesn't fit me very well, but I love the jacket I'm wearing which you gave me. Thank's so much!! I have to go now."

Reminds me of my mate when we were younger and had made the yearly pilgrimage to Magaluf. The African lads would be selling fake watches and "gold" necklaces.
    Well this fecker would torment the lads. They'd have a necklace on you in an instant then start the bidding process. My mate would keep walking with it on and saying "thanks very much...Free yes" Then he would try on watches and argue the prices with them....Offering stupid prices. I'll give you 5 cents for it...No? 4 then?
    Got to the stage that they would cross the road whenever they saw him coming every evening!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

This has been done a 100 times before :facepalm:

100 times.. my my aren't you the goer... must have cost you a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

or almost fell for. A couple years back, I got the "gardai virus" (type of scareware) on my laptop which said I'd need to pay €150 to unlock my laptop. I stupidly entered my debit card details and on the weekend, found that not just €150 but 300 was taken from account leaving me with just €20.
    It isn't too many many of the smug fellows on boards would admit to a mistake like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Rented a room for a short term of 2 months .... paid month up front and a months deposit. Lovely house and the ‘couple ‘ who owned it seemed nice. Things didn’t seem right as they didn’t seem to be working but gave me a business card with their company details in the city (London) where they said they were auctioneers. About a month in .... they asked me to leave as they were selling up. No problem.... just give me my deposit back. They said come back next week and they will have it. I moved and called next week... and a different man answered the door. It seems the couple were house sitting for a wealthy couple to mind the house and they saw a chance to rent the rooms while the owners away. Real owners were very nice and they too had the same business card and I called to the office address. Only a girl answering phones for hundreds of clients who used that office as a answering machine. Never tracked gem down ... but wrote to Inland Revenue and owners of the answering machine office advising e on the scammers operating from their. Hope they rotting in some foreign jail now having tried this overseas somewhere!!! I can dream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Wife and I landed in Paris one night many years ago and caught a connecting train into the city centre. Once at the central station we decided to get a weekly metro ticket each, to get us to our hotel and cover us for the rest of our trip.

While we were working our way through the ticket vending machine instructions, a 'helpful' pensioner passing by, offered to assist. He explained that the ticket offices were closed that time of night, and the machines only renewed tickets for existing metro card holders. He had one and would get our tickets for us (I know.... alarm bells should have sounded).

He put his card in and punched up a request for two weekly tickets, showing us what he was doing every step of the way and the end price for the two tickets, which we then gave him in cash. All seemed fine and our tickets popped out, we said thanks and goodnight. We then headed to the gate and our new tickets let us through to get a train to our hotel.

However, the next morning, the tickets didn't work at the gate and a metro staff member explained that they were only single journey tickets and they had been used last night. We were conned, but it was a clever one... I didn't expect the first person we met in Paris to be a friendly pensioner confidence trickster.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I bought an absolutely useless deodorant from a well known aloe vera company my sister in law was pushing on us a few years ago. My pits stank and Mr Bubo nearly left me.

I got caught out by a chugger a few years ago and signed away €10 a month to a bloated CEO.

Biggest mistake was signing a too good to be true contract with a door to door salesman for a rural broadband package that was worse than useless. Worst thing was, fibre was available in the area a month later and I was stuck for a fcukin year with sh1te service .

Lesson for the young wans - Never ever buy anything on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

Worked on a till years ago. This guy comes in buys something small, then asks for change. I still don't get it but by the time they're done they've made a profit and gotten item for free. Happened to me more than once I'm ashamed to say. Tis easy shcam me.
    Would love to know said scam now for eh research :D

About 13 at the time got caught with the leather belt trick by the usual suspects at the annual point to point. £10 lost which was a fortune to me!
    What trick is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Wife and I landed in Paris one night many years ago and caught a connecting train into the city centre. Once at the central station we decided to get a weekly metro ticket each, to get us to our hotel and cover us for the rest of our trip.

While we were working our way through the ticket vending machine instructions, a 'helpful' pensioner passing by, offered to assist. He explained that the ticket offices were closed that time of night, and the machines only renewed tickets for existing metro card holders. He had one and would get our tickets for us (I know.... alarm bells should have sounded).

He put his card in and punched up a request for two weekly tickets, showing us what he was doing every step of the way and the end price for the two tickets, which we then gave him in cash. All seemed fine and our tickets popped out, we said thanks and goodnight. We then headed to the gate and our new tickets let us through to get a train to our hotel.

However, the next morning, the tickets didn't work at the gate and a metro staff member explained that they were only single journey tickets and they had been used last night. We were conned, but it was a clever one... I didn't expect the first person we met in Paris to be a friendly pensioner confidence trickster.
    Reminds me of a saying I heard in China.

"It's not that old people are bad. It's just that bad people grow old".

One and only time something like this has ever happened, I'm usually very careful, but I got caught by a fake website geared towards providing info to people on how to use bitcoins safely. Link on the website led to cloned coin washer that was fake. Lost 200 Euro I think. Was annoyed for 24 hours, but then just had to admire what a good job they'd done.
    But what were you supposedly paying the €200 for anyway?

Pay €160 to go towards Tubridy's €495,000 a year salary? No thanks.
    It's hardly that much per person!

• Advertisement

fergus1001 wrote: »
    tried to order a stripper off some site, turned out to be a honeypot and demanded significant money not to call my place of work
    What's a honeypot?

I was at Feile 90 and was caught by one of those knackers and the 3 cups and coin scam...handed over £20 in the safe knowledge I knew where the coin was and obviously lost my money in an instant. Felt sick to my stomach that I was so stupid so went and bought some beer to help me forget. In my defence I was only 19 at the time, stupid, na and slightly drunk.
    But that wasn't a scam though, was it.

josip wrote: »
    Fell for the card over part of the meter trick coming from airport that turned a £40 fare into a £80 fare.
    Luigi D'Cunto then doubled down on it with the old lira switcheroo near the hotel, turning a £40 fare into a £160 fare.
    Could you explain that "switcheroo" trick? I don't quite follow how it got to 4 times the value.
    josip wrote: »
    Stupid, but work paid for it once I filled in the police report.
    You mean to say they caught him?

Worked on a till years ago. This guy comes in buys something small, then asks for change. I still don't get it but by the time they're done they've made a profit and gotten item for free. Happened to me more than once I'm ashamed to say. Tis easy shcam me.
    Would love to know said scam now for eh research :D

Rather than being a scam, is this just a case of your maths letting you down?! Sorry!

derossi wrote: »
    Loaned a friend 600 Euro, said he will pay it back in a few weeks...still waiting 9 years later.
    I take such cruel pleasure in my wisdom when a helpless friend asks for money!

2. The hooker who was a post op Male to Female. To be fair, I was sober and still wasn't 100% sure but it was. I can't say it was a terrible experience though. She was very pretty and a great body.
    So how did you find out? Did you go int the back door so? I want details.

This guy starting emailing me straight away and making all the right noises. Asking questions, more pics etc. He then asked to see the registration papers and my ID to prove I owned it before he made the trip from Belfast. So emailed him copies (Yeah yeah I know...:o).

The Guards were only going through the motions. Money was in Nigeria and well gone.
    Nigeria? I thought you said Belfast!

Three card trick before going into Fairyhouse when I was a teenager. €20 gone! That sickening, sinking feeling when you lose the money, greatest deterrent to gambling addiction I know!
    WWhat trick is that? Please explain.

Still feeling convivial from the night's proceedings, and grinning like I had an advanced case of tetanus, I decided to humour him, and sat cross-legged on the ground while he went rifling through my backpack. The strange thing is, I knew he wasn't a real Guard, but was in no mood for an argument to spoil my night. On some level, I think I even thought we might be friends and maybe this would be an amusing story I could tell at his wedding.

I was still capable of some cognitive tasks, however, because I did a quick mental inventory of what was in the bag -- nothing important, just a raincoat and a newspaper,and I deliberately don't carry a wallet (to avoid incidents like this), so no biggie. He went off empty-handed and I went home to bed.

I woke up next morning having forgotten the whole thing, after checking my personal phone, reached for my work phone. But It wasn't on the locker. It wasn't in the kitchen. Nor the bathroom, nor my jeans -- and then I saw the open, empty backpack on the floor. It turns out I really didn't have any basic cognitive intelligence, and of course I'd had my work phone out, and of course he'd stolen 700 euro of phone which was absolutely useless to him anyway, as it was locked. And the Guards* tell me that once it's blocked, it can't be unblocked unless the phone leaves Europe.

*Obviously I didn't tell them the whole story. In the sanitised version, it was an opportunistic pilfering.

I didn't get the phone back, and tbh, I didn't deserve to.
    For a person who uses the word 'convivial', I thought you might spell 'too' correctly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are you going to dissect every post?

Advertisement