Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    It’s not about one greenway promoting another at the opposite end of the country, a single website with info and promoting all greenways would be a good idea. Being part of such a shared resource would probably raise the profile of greenways generally and be beneficial for all.

Once we have an extensive enough interconnected greenway network, it should be marketed under a common brand with sub-branding for various sections. The success of the Wild Atlantic Way shows how far a brand of sufficient scale can reach.

Somebody should do something..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Why isn't there a proper greenway.ie website as a one stop shop for every greenway in the land?

Why don't you start one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was wondering about it yes. Alas I'm not website construction friendly - that said a wiki page that was worth a damn would be a start

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Greenways

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I was wondering about it yes. Alas I'm not website construction friendly - that said a wiki page that was worth a damn would be a start

Surprisingly the first time I've read that article! Not finding much on the mysterious ardee to whitemills greenway...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

It's actually an interesting question Harry. Guess, there are a few reasons. First is Greenways are relatively new, up to recently there have only been a few so the time for your idea hasn't yet come.

Secondly though there's the fact that different bodies are responsible for marketing different types of Greenways, we have old rail trail ones, canal ones and Shannon Blue Way ones though local authorities generally construct and so are a common thread.

Thirdly though there's the rivalry, Mayo doesn't want you to know re Waterford and vice versa. Great Southern Trail wont tell you re royal Canal etc.

But is there a body with overall responsibility for tourism marketing in Irl? Yes! Tourism Ireland are and its really up to them to set up the site. the Greenway Strategy has a whole section on signage, branding and marketing so that must have been the intention. The branding is awful leprechaun green and signage is too n your face but maybe new Minister new Brand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yes there needs to be one common overall brand but one that accommodates the names of the individual greenways. It needs to come DTTS, some random person setting up a website is useful to an extent but that is not enough either. There is a level of coordination amongst all greenway stakeholders needed, plus some dictating to them, which can only come from government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

new Minister new Brand!
    Yes, a new Minister who might actually take an interest in his own portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

An additional €1,550,000 funding has been made available for the Bilberry to City Centre Greenway extension"

https://waterfordcouncilnews.com/2020/02/19/waterford-welcomes-funding-of-e15175000-under-ntas-project-ireland-2040/

this will bring greenway to clock tower crossing to North Quay and presumably a way will be created to allow cyclists to exit NQ onto the Kilkenny to Wexford section without using a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Surprisingly the first time I've read that article! Not finding much on the mysterious ardee to whitemills greenway...

It's a local greenway, for local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Money granted for the Offaly side of the Grand to Royal canal’s greenway link.

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/519559/offaly-tourism-boost-as-500-000-invested-in-outdoor-amenities.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Almost a million euro allocated for the Castletroy urban greenway in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw on FB

**€500,000 allocated to the BoyneValley to Lakelands Greenway**
    This will see the Navan to Wilkinstown section completed. Huge work is underway along all parts of the project already.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender out for the removal of rails and sleepers on the Waterford-New Ross proposed greenway

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/163614/1/0

Saw at bottom of DLRCC release:

Ongoing Cycling Infrastructure Projects

dlr received a funding allocation of €10 million from the NTA for cycling infrastructure projects in 2020 and progress continues with these schemes. The following projects are currently under construction: 

Cruagh Wood Greenway - Ballyogan Road to Cruagh Wood (nearing completion)

Got a bit excited thinking wow a greenway to Cruagh Woods... How'd I miss this...

Then looked at the link... What a difference an 's' makes!

cruagh Wood greenway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Grassey wrote: »
    Saw at bottom of DLRCC release:

Ongoing Cycling Infrastructure Projects

dlr received a funding allocation of €10 million from the NTA for cycling infrastructure projects in 2020 and progress continues with these schemes. The following projects are currently under construction: 

Cruagh Wood Greenway - Ballyogan Road to Cruagh Wood (nearing completion)

Got a bit excited thinking wow a greenway to Cruagh Woods... How'd I miss this...

Then looked at the link... What a difference an 's' makes!

cruagh Wood greenway

I know it's not what you were hoping for, but it is an excellent addition to increase permeability in this area. It must be very frustrating to live less than 700m away from a Luas stop, yet have to walk nearly 2.5km to reach one thanks to terrible planning.

Oh not knocking that it's great for the area - was discussing with a mate who lives there this morning.

Just my fault for glancing at the headline and 1 + 1 = 3

Roadbridge have won the contract to upgrade the 40km Great Sounthern Greenway in Limerick to a 3m wide tarmac surface for its length.

Further plans for green ways have been announced by the council

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/major-eu5-million-investment-great-southern-greenway-limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What is the story with the train line from Rathkeale to Limerick? Is it still a viable greenway route?

I presume the spurs to Askeaton, Foynes and Glin would be just using existing country roads but with signage.

That area of the country could do with a tourism boost. Outside of Adare there isn't a huge attraction to entice people in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What is the story with the train line from Rathkeale to Limerick? Is it still a viable greenway route?

I presume the spurs to Askeaton, Foynes and Glin would be just using existing country roads but with signage.

That area of the country could do with a tourism boost. Outside of Adare there isn't a huge attraction to entice people in.

Limerick to Rathkeale (or Ballingrane technically) is part of the Foynes-Limerick railway line which is currently under design work for a potential reopening

• Advertisement

I presume they have some sort of plan to extend it into Limerick city?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

pigtown wrote: »
    Roadbridge have won the contract to upgrade the 40km Great Sounthern Greenway in Limerick to a 3m wide tarmac surface for its length.

Further plans for green ways have been announced by the council

https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/major-eu5-million-investment-great-southern-greenway-limerick

This is excellent. Too many greenways just use quarry dust which is not suitable for all bike types. I wish all had a proper sealed surface.

I presume they have some sort of plan to extend it into Limerick city?

https://twitter.com/DanielButlerFG/status/1265319935011631106?s=19

They issued a map with the longterm plans. It would be great if they were all implemented

But what route are they going to use? If not the train line there isn't another ready made route.
    I presume one option would be the old Adare - Patrickswell road into Limerick but that wouldn't be a greenway.
    Interesting that the Eurovelo route goes along the spur from Rathkeale to Glin via Askeaton. That would presumably get EU funding.

Again you would wonder what route? Isn't a new road spur going in there as part of the Adare bypass? Could there be a greenway run alongside it?

Great to see all these greenways progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This is excellent. Too many greenways just use quarry dust which is not suitable for all bike types. I wish all had a proper sealed surface.

From a walkers point of view tarmac must make for a miserable, soulless experience. Any greenway I've been on in the UK was surfaced with quarry dust/fine grit - more of the countryside under tarmac doesn't do it for me.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    From a walkers point of view tarmac must make for a miserable, soulless experience. Any greenway I've been on in the UK was surfaced with quarry dust/fine grit - more of the countryside under tarmac doesn't do it for me.

Not really. The whole point is being able to walk/cycle etc away from traffic. The added bonus of tarmac is wheelchair users, those mobility issues, parents with prams etc etc all have a much better experience and can avail of the facility.

As someone who was born with a mild mobility issue, I can tell you firsthand that tarmac is a lot easier to walk on than fine grit etc

Galway County Council sought legal advice on Connemara greenway land access

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/environment/county-council-sought-legal-advice-on-connemara-greenway-land-access/

Galway County Council has sought legal advice on gaining access to land for studies related to a proposed section of the Connemara Greenway a Galway senator has said.
    Galway Senator Seán Kyne says that studies have been completed on 21km of the 28km stretch of the proposed Connemara Greenway between Galway City and Oughterard.

However Senator Kyne added that RPS Consultants, acting on behalf of the county council, have not been granted access to the remaining 7km worth of the section, meaning that documentation cannot be prepared for a planning application.

Rest of the article at the link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Galway County Council sought legal advice on Connemara greenway land access

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/environment/county-council-sought-legal-advice-on-connemara-greenway-land-access/

Galway Senator Seán Kyne says that studies have been completed on 21km of the 28km stretch of the proposed Connemara Greenway between Galway City and Oughterard.
    However Senator Kyne added that RPS Consultants, acting on behalf of the county council, have not been granted access to the remaining 7km worth of the section, meaning that documentation cannot be prepared for a planning application.
    Wonder what section/sections that is? Oughterard side or City side?
    Any idea @DaCor?

Wonder what section/sections that is? Oughterard side or City side?
    Any idea @DaCor?

Unfortunately, as there's no complete documents / application for this route because of this issue, it's impossible to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Not really. The whole point is being able to walk/cycle etc away from traffic. The added bonus of tarmac is wheelchair users, those mobility issues, parents with prams etc etc all have a much better experience and can avail of the facility.

As someone who was born with a mild mobility issue, I can tell you firsthand that tarmac is a lot easier to walk on than fine grit etc

I think you are both right tbh.

Like many i've used both types extensively.
    It certainly doesn't feel as natural or fun on a tarmac path vs a 'natural' path (specially if you are on a mtb).
    On the other hand, it's not suitable for many and thats not great either.

Best case, you have 2 types running somewhat in parallel, but that likely won't happen.

I'd be happy either way, because we are simply crying out for proper facilities (so long as the natural element on either side of it is kept in place).

Advertisement