Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    High today of only 3.4c in Kildare

Bitterly cold alright, temperature didn't get above 3.6C here either, this is the worst type of cold too, mostly cold rain and damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭compsys

The reason for the disconnect between meteorological and cultural seasons (being one month out of sync essentially) in Ireland is because of seasonal lag - meteorological winter is centered around when we’re climatologically likely to be coldest vs warmest, whereas in Ireland (and other Celtic countries) cultural winter is centered around sunlight and the solstices and equinoxes, with each constituting the midway point of their corresponding seasons. Because the climate takes roughly one month to catch up with changes in the Earth’s rotation, these two paradigms are one month out of sync with eachother.

Most meteorologists will refer to the seasons based on their meteorological terms, while most Irish people will have learned in school (with poems and mnemonics to help remember) that the seasons begin and end one month earlier than their meteorologically interested bretheren. Neither view is right or wrong, so as far as I’m concerned the annual arguments about whether November counts as Winter and February counts as Spring are hilariously predictable and woefully pointless. What matters here is what kind of weather we’re going to get, dammit :D:D:D

“And other Celtic countries“?

As far as I’m aware Ireland is the only country in the world where November is commonly referred to as winter and February as spring etc.

In other countries there’s no difference between the people and the meteorologists. Everyone agrees that November is autumn and February still winter etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Based on seasonal, or average long-term 3 month running temps alone, Summer begins in Ireland around the 15th of June and ends around the mid-September as this is the warmest 12 week period on average, whereas the coldest 12 week period tends to be from around mid December to mid-March.

One curious little trait of the Irish weather is that sub-zero temps occur with notably high frequency in the closing days of Feb and opening days of March as compared to other periods in Winter.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

First time in my life I am feeling the cold in some of my joints especially my knee,
    Jesus the pain when out in the cold.
    Starting to feel fragile ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

compsys wrote: »
    “And other Celtic countries“?

As far as I’m aware Ireland is the only country in the world where November is commonly referred to as winter and February as spring etc.

In other countries there’s no difference between the people and the meteorologists. Everyone agrees that November is autumn and February still winter etc.

I always assumed Scottish and Welsh people also considered winter to begin in November and Spring to begin in February, but perhaps Ireland is the last holdout?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter#Meteorological_reckoning

In Celtic nations such as Ireland (using the Irish calendar) and in Scandinavia, the winter solstice is traditionally considered as midwinter, with the winter season beginning 1 November, on All Hallows, or Samhain. Winter ends and spring begins on Imbolc, or Candlemas, which is 1 or 2 February. This system of seasons is based on the length of days exclusively. (The three-month period of the shortest days and weakest solar radiation occurs during November, December and January in the Northern Hemisphere and May, June and July in the Southern Hemisphere.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Perhaps a bit OTT but I suppose some folk would be vulnerable with -4c and below

Status Yellow - Low-Temperature warning for Connacht,Cavan,Monaghan,Donegal,Carlow,Kildare,Kilkenny,Laois,Longford,Louth,Offaly,Westmeath,Meath,Clare,Cork,Kerry,Limerick,Tipperary

Very cold tonight. Minimum air temperatures will range -2 to -4 degrees Celsius. Widespread severe frost with the risk of icy patches.

Valid: Sunday 17 November 2019 20:00 to Monday 18 November 2019 09:00

Perhaps a bit OTT but I suppose some folk would be vulnerable with -4c and below

Status Yellow - Low-Temperature warning for Connacht,Cavan,Monaghan,Donegal,Carlow,Kildare,Kilkenny,Laois,Longford,Louth,Offaly,Westmeath,Meath,Clare,Cork,Kerry,Limerick,Tipperary

Very cold tonight. Minimum air temperatures will range -2 to -4 degrees Celsius. Widespread severe frost with the risk of icy patches.

Can't remember the last time we had a proper frost day , clothes frozen on the line ECT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A low temperature warning out.

Issued: Sunday 17 November 2019 11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 17/11/19
    9Os1TV4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann calling for another extremely wet week across the east and south with up to 200% above normal rainfall. By this time next week, records could already be broken for Autumn rainfall totals in Dunsany and probably other stations too. We only need another 50mm of rainfall over the next 2 weeks to beat the all time Autumn rainfall record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 17/11/19 16.31 temperature 5°C
    aDYnQaG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tonight will see severe frost with the risk of icy bitches, time to stoke the fire and chill

Tonight will see severe frost with the risk of icy bitches, time to stoke the fire and chill

Icy bitches , you must know my wife ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm

Markree -2
    Mount Dillon -1
    Claremorris 0
    Athenry 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

4am, Athenry, Claremorris, Gurteen, Markree Castle and Mount Dillon all -4°c.

• Advertisement

-3 curragh Kildare.
    Freezing fog also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cold this morning in cork city. Cars covered in a thick frost.

8am

Mount Dillon -5
    Markree -5

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Perishin' this morning in Limerick. The car had to get 2 kettles of water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Beautiful 'winters' morning in wicklow. Just read MT's forecast for the week and outlook for next......grim reading:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Clear and sunny in Dublin 16. Overnight low was -1.3c. Would love a couple of weeks of this weather!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Clear and sunny in Dublin 16. Overnight low was -1.3c. Would love a couple of weeks of this weather!

same here, apart from being beautiful to wake up to a morning frost and clear blue skies, it would really help towards drying out the land. Sadly there is another deluge on the way this week!

Fingers crossed we see many more days like today during the Christmas week as well as January and February.

Can't believe it is ten years ago on this date when that horrendous spell weather, which resulted in much of the west and south being under water, began:

2XAvryh.gif

Although rain started here the night before; heavy, driving rain that resulted in a horrific traffic accident just outside of town. Galway City was even worse hit on that night, with over 50mm falling in just a short space of time, and this was only a taster of what was to come.

10 years later, and the sky is summer blue.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Can't believe it is ten years ago on this date when that horrendous spell weather, which resulted in much of the west and south being under water, began:

2XAvryh.gif

Although rain started here the night before; heavy, driving rain that resulted in a horrific traffic accident just outside of town. Galway City was even worse hit on that night, with over 50mm falling in just a short space of time, and this was only a taster of what was to come.

10 years later, and the sky is summer blue.

We had 3 possible routes home
    2 of them were flooded by the time work decided to release us early mid afternoon
    Never want to see the likes of it again
    The scars run deep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Quite nice in waterford now. Sun shining and a bit of heat still in it. Looks like some convection off the south coast
    wws13hz.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Great day in meath, really love these days like this, chilly, very sunny and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Beautiful day in Dublin 18, sunny but crisp. A very heavy frost on the car this morning and it still hung around in the shady spots while I was out walking about 11.

Has MT issued his winter prediction yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A still very white from head to toe, Lugnaquilla just now as seen from Arklow
    Phone camera

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Phone camera

I am from Wicklow originally myself, remember the old folk use to say the longer lug has its white coat it won't be long till snow be a foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭odyboody

Phone camera

LOL dont see many photos from 2000 camera phones these days:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Phone camera

Potato cam?

Daily temperature anomaly for Autumn so far (up to yesterday). Shows just how cold this November has been so far.

rYEbgeh.png

We have to go back as far as the year 2000, and before that, 1985, to find a November as cold up to the 18th. Some signs now that temps will recover somewhat as we get into the closing third of the month, but with more in the way of wind and rain about, not necessarily feeling all that warmer.

Data is courtesy of Met Eireann.

New Moon

certainly looks milder for the remainder of the month with temperatures rising into double figures over next few days. Some places could see 13 or 14C next week. I welcome it because the past 3 weeks of mostly cold, cold rain has not been the least bit enjoyable. Unfortunately it seems the rain is here to stay tho regardless of temperature. If it's going to rain, i'd rather the temperature be bearable rather than very cold but still yielding just rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    certainly looks milder for the remainder of the month with temperatures rising into double figures over next few days. Some places could see 13 or 14C next week. I welcome it because the past 3 weeks of mostly cold, cold rain has not been the least bit enjoyable. Unfortunately it seems the rain is here to stay tho regardless of temperature. If it's going to rain, i'd rather the temperature be bearable rather than very cold but still yielding just rain.

Totally agree although more rain is not good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Bring on the mild for the next few weeks but once mid December comes around I want an end to it. Much colder conditions with frosty mornings would be welcome for the remainder of December. We are bloody due a cold Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

esposito wrote: »
    Bring on the mild for the next few weeks but once mid December comes around I want an end to it. Much colder conditions with frosty mornings would be welcome for the remainder of December. We are bloody due a cold Christmas!

Oh I hope not. Mild but dry would be nice for Christmas.

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford

From early hours of Wednesday to noon on Thursday, spells of heavy rain at times will give amounts of 30 to 50 mm with a risk of spot flooding.

Valid: Wednesday 20 November 2019 00:01 to Thursday 21 November 2019 12:00

Issued: Tuesday 19 November 2019 11:00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The first of probably a few weather rainfall warnings for this week, has the look of producing floods by the weekend as the land gets increasingly saturated.

NATIONAL WARNINGS

Rainfall warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    From early hours of Wednesday to noon on Thursday, spells of heavy rain at times will give amounts of 30 to 50 mm with a risk of spot flooding.

Valid: Wednesday 20 November 2019 00:01 to Thursday 21 November 2019 12:00

Issued: Tuesday 19 November 2019 11:00

DAVWa4k.png

CAZ5YmF.png

eaSgSdM.png

CM3aE96.png

Totally agree although more rain is not good news!

ground here is still saturated from the rains of the past 2 months, flood waters have gone, but the ditches here are still full of water. It won't take much for the floods to come back. If the rainfall totals over the next 10 days are to be believed then many parts of Meath and Kildare at least may finish this Autumn with record breaking rainfall totals for Autumn.

• Advertisement

Yay more rain.. ground is saturated here in cork city too. We have to bear nearing one of the wettest autumn’s on record by now? I think there was a lot o days of light drizzle too, making it seem worse

Yay more rain.. ground is saturated here in cork city too. We have to bear nearing one of the wettest autumn’s on record by now? I think there was a lot o days of light drizzle too, making it seem worse

what is your local met eireann station? Mine is Dunsany and all we need is another 50mm between now and midnight Saturday 30th to break the all time Autumn rainfall record..... we could easily get that 50mm by the weekend.

what is your local met eireann station? Mine is Dunsany and all we need is another 50mm between now and midnight Saturday 30th to break the all time Autumn rainfall record..... we could easily get that 50mm by the weekend.

Cork airport would be my local one, I’ll have a look to see the stats when I get onto my laptop at home! I remember Sryan saying we had the most sunshine of any station and it was gloomy for most of autumn here so god help the rest of the country if that’s still the case. 50mm really isn’t a lot to build up! Especially now with the front crossing the country tomorrow and coming days.

Edit: cork airport is showing we had a very wet October, wettest since 2016 but only 50mm in November surprisingly. The light drizzle really is worse then heavy rain sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

South-mid Leinster looks in an awkward spot with continuous pulses of sometimes heavy rain later tonight through until Friday evening followed by short lull and off again on Saturday.

Could be some serious enough issues.

lots of rainfall throughout Ireland and the UK over the coming week and much, much milder. Some charts showing temperatures up to 14C here next week, parts of southern England could see 16C next week. Mild temperatures are Europe wide over the next one to possibly three weeks, with many parts going close to 6C above average, more like 1 to 3C above average in Ireland. I think the main issue in Ireland will be the continued deluges rather than the temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

After a dull and damp start, the sky cleared in this part of Mayo just before 9 this morning and gave a decent day that we will gladly take here at this time of the year. Red berries on the hawthorn trees and hedges gleamed in the low November sun. Unfortunately the south east looking like getting a dose of our traditional autumnal fare here in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Turned out better than expected here in North County Dublin.

Dark+ drizzlely to start but then brighten up nicely.

The biggest change has been the pleasant rise in temperatures which is welcomed. It's been an extremely wet autumn here. High rainfall in Aug, Sep, Oct + Nov.

I read an article about weather in Dublin in first 2weeks iof Nov + they were saying East was getting weather West usually gets with all the rainfall.

If more rainfall coming Dublin total for Nov + also the year will be very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

appledrop wrote: »

The biggest change has been the pleasant rise in temperatures which is welcomed. It's been an extremely wet autumn here. High rainfall in Aug, Sep, Oct + Nov.

I read an article about weather in Dublin in first 2weeks iof Nov + they were saying East was getting weather West usually gets with all the rainfall.

Athenry 1245mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wow I would never be able to live in West!

I meant high relative for usual Dublin totals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When you live in the West all your life you don't know any better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

appledrop wrote: »

It is actually the 2nd driest November in Castlebar in 15 years so far....well if you can call 124mm of rain dry and we are up over 1600mm of rain for the year and 460mm for Autumn.

Offically Newport is at 1544.9mm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement