Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

blissfully silent. Utter peace and the ocean has settled after the storm...

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dark and wet here in Castlebar. Nothing blissful about it. Tomorrow looking better before some heavy rain tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Dull with moderate drizzle in Arklow
    12.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Beautiful calm and silence, broken only by the birdsong and farm machinery busy at work on the final stages of harvest before winter sets in and land no longer provides. The landscape is still such a vivid green with just the occasional fleck of autumnal hues of yellow, red and brown.

As I pass the half way point of my 5km ramble around the local loop, there is an air of melancholy as the grey skies grow ever darker. Soon, the patchwork of various shades of grey will unite to become a continuous and monotonous grey blanket as the rain, which was upheaved from the vast Atlantic Ocean completes its journey to reach Terra Firma, at which point I will retire to the snugness and cosiness of my abode and listen to the pitter patter on the windows.

North Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

^^^^^^
    Grace 7
    Has competition
    Very nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 rusticalo

The fatigue of a week of labour has told on my weary old bones as I venture outdoors into the velvet morning.

I herd my animals with the tender care of a stockman of the land. Disturbed by the lowing of a heifir in heat who excites at the possibility of coitus with a young lover. I trod an upward slope, forever onward.

Deep inside, both of us can feel the autumn chill
    Birds of passage, you and me, we fly instinctively. When the summer's over and the dark clouds hide the sun, neither you nor I'm to blame when all is said and done.

Westmeath interior.

Here's mine

My life sucks at the moment,
    As does the weather,
    How long can you be beatin down
    Before you break,
    Because when I blow,
    As I know I will,
    It will be a category 5 hurricane,
    No amount of warnings will save them then,
    It will be winter for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

rusticalo wrote: »

Deep inside, both of us can feel the autumn chill
    Birds of passage, you and me, we fly instinctively. When the summer's over and the dark clouds hide the sun, neither you nor I'm to blame when all is said and done.

Westmeath interior.

Abba fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Blissfully depressing...Galway;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Horrid day in Cork. Extremely wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Blissfully depressing...Galway;)

Damn, was hoping it would be clearing up for ye by now.

Guess it's down for the day in Celbridge so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I don’t understand how there wasn’t a yellow rainfall warning for Cork. Roads are lethal with surface water, it has been pouring out of the heavens for the 4 hours.

Clearing up in Galway...we will soon be baking in 17 degree sunshine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sunshine and showers. Branches stirring. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Rain in Maynooth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another wet, miserable and rain soaked day in Meath.

highdef wrote: »
    Abba fan?

Not to old for ...

(I'd say :D)

pad199207 wrote: »
    Heavy Rain in Maynooth

Have to head there for work leaving a six

Clear blue skies sunshine...Galway

• Advertisement

Moderate rain in Arklow since lunchtime
    Spilling down still
    7.2mm so far and rising

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Blissfull blue skies following todays deluge. Earlier it was a case of Mamas and paps ,all the leaves are brown and the sky is grey.

Inshore dwelling,Mayo ,Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Has been raining pretty much non stop since 11 in the south east.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

minor roads around Dunshaughlin flooded this evening, some are several inches deep. We really need a dry spell soon, this place can't handle much more daily downpours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

MidMan25 wrote: »
    I don’t understand how there wasn’t a yellow rainfall warning for Cork. Roads are lethal with surface water, it has been pouring out of the heavens for the 4 hours.

It's the same here in North County Dublin. I was driving on old N1 this evening + lanes were flooded. I slowed down but idiot in lane beside me speed up + covered my windscreen in huge amount of water. I couldn't see for 2 or 3 secs. So dangerous + no warnings. They hype up a non event + then not a word when actual dangerous rainfal. Disgraceful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    minor roads around Dunshaughlin flooded this evening, some are several inches deep. We really need a dry spell soon, this place can't handle much more daily downpours.

Fully agree. Same situation in Kildare. Conditions were atrocious this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

appledrop wrote: »
    It's the same here in North County Dublin. I was driving on old N1 this evening + lanes were flooded. I slowed down but idiot in lane beside me speed up + covered my windscreen in huge amount of water. I couldn't see for 2 or 3 secs. So dangerous + no warnings. They hype up a non event + then not a word when actual dangerous rainfal. Disgraceful!!

And if there was a yellow warning it would have been for the whole of the county
    And people in parts of county not as badly affected would be in whining about a yellow warning making them unsure whether to go to work .............

pad199207 wrote: »
    Fully agree. Same situation in Kildare. Conditions were atrocious this evening

I haven't seen it this bad in years. It's not just from today's rain, but all the downpours over the past 2 weeks, the land is saturated beyond cope. We've had close to a quarter of a year's worth of rain since September 20th, and off the back of a very wet August too. That's no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gonzo wrote: »
    I haven't seen it this bad in years. It's not just from today's rain, but all the downpours over the past 2 weeks, the land is saturated beyond cope. We've had close to a quarter of a year's worth of rain since September 20th, and off the back of a very wet August too. That's no joke.

Glad to have escaped it for a couple of days
    Checks forecast
    Normal service resumes from tomorrow night on

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Glad to have escaped it for a couple of days
    Checks forecast
    Normal service resumes from tomorrow night on

I'm afraid to look at forecasts for fear of yet more downpours, I looked and now I fear, there is no let up at all!

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=12&date=2019-10-05&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

Looks like October will be the 3rd very wet or excessively wet month in a row.

I can see Dunsany breaking the 100mm barrier again by months end.

Advertisement