Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Try being a cyclist. My son finally got old enough to sit in a bike trailer, and I was all ready to get in a bit of desperately exercise, but the wind and (to a lesser extent) the rain put paid to that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Staying very unsettled for the next week and turning milder then a possible cold snap mid-March as what the models are showing though I doubt it.

The bbc forecaster at 9:55 was talking about a colder spell next weekend and he mentioned it lasting for a while. It seemed a bold statement to make this far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hard heavy rain all the night long.. Thanks to the forecast I brought fuel in yesterday so sitting snug but it is so cold.

And yes, deeply thankful I do not have to go out but that is forward planning.

Wednesday morning and early afternoon were totally lovely. Sunny, calm, dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Very wet in South Wicklow
    6c with a dp of 5
    Cold but that would equate to rain on the mountains here,sleet at the very top maybe but quite a washout of yesterday's good snowc cover on Lug Is say

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Looks like a heavy batch of rain has just arrived here in Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No ceasing up here. The track will be awash as all the mountain streams cross it and will be flowing deep and full. Thankfully the one through the garden here was deeply dug and does not overflow. Love being so close to it all....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another 12.6mm here this morning in West Clare, fields flooding again.

Amazing how they were dry for so long and then just at the end of winter flooded!

And statistically, this time of year is our driest!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Over on the east coast in bettystown today and the rain is pelting down, truly awful day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Whinger!!!!

But seriously it's awful stuff to travel in. I've done a few long commutes this week and another one tomorrow and it's exhausting in this weather. Even then when you get out of the car you've wind rain and cold lashing into you. Syran is this unusual for time of year from your records?

It is unusual for March to get a very wet spell but it's not as unusual as let's say a March like 2013 (extremely cold). The odd March here and there tends to get a very wet day like 6th in 2001, 11th in 2004, 26th in 2006, 30th in 2008, 29th/30th in 2010 and 21st in 2013. It's unusual because like JCX BXC said above, March is statistically his driest part of the year. Many places have different drier parts of the years though like February is my driest month but April or May tend to be the driest across the country.

Here's a picture of Cork flooded in early March 2014

RTWRcwf.png

This was as a result of the extremely wet Winter of 2013/14 but a band of heavy rain on the 2nd of March also contributed.

March gets a very wet day (25mm or more) for synoptic stations on average every 2 years so it's a bit unusual but not remarkably so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Moderate to heavy rain her in Tralee. Another 10mm and counting since midnight , + 25mm in 24 hrs. Sferic showing up too.

• Advertisement

6.8mm so far today at Grange, that's wetter than like 90% of all days during Winter 2016/17 :P.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yet another wet, miserable, mucky day. Garden is starting to get very soggy at this stage. The past 3 to 4 weeks have just been awful. Sick of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    yet another wet, miserable, mucky day. Garden is starting to get very soggy at this stage. The past 3 to 4 weeks have just been awful. Sick of it.

Whinger.

The bbc forecaster at 9:55 was talking about a colder spell next weekend and he mentioned it lasting for a while. It seemed a bold statement to make this far out.

I know, that was Jay Wynne. I'm not believing any cold spells that are being hinted at by models since the late December-early January cold spell that was hinted at which never happened.

When a new weather event thread is started, could we be informed on this thread? I keep missing them!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    When a new weather event thread is started, could we be informed on this thread? I keep missing them!

Alright, I will post in this if I see a new weather event thread from now on.

[LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware] Heavy Rain Friday-Saturday 03/04 & Risk of Snow Saturday 04:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057712738&page=3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Whinger.

Pot...kettle...what? :P

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Pot...kettle...what? :P

I know sarcasm doesn't carry well on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

a couple of years back This was 2/3/2015 (sorry i know this thread is for 2016/17 but the winter weather 2015 thread was closed)

And then 3rd March 2015 12:42am:

10855134_10205803632143851_7893275130795274621_o.jpg?oh=3986d5043638c8a0f2dab817642bae2e&oe=59410A83

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

@ Andy From Sligo....moved your post into Spring weather as March is Spring....no matter what the year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

I hear about all of this snow on the forecast and i havn't seen a flake of snow yet...why do they keep lying to us. We have been in spring for the last 8 months and i want to experience a bit of winter snow for a effin change. I dont get what people don't undeestand about that. All i see is stupid pictures of the wicklow mountains, conemara and carrauntoohil. How come we didnt get any snow on low ground? Whats all the talk of snow for if all we get is stupid rain? This needs to change. I for one am sick of the lies.

I hear about all of this snow on the forecast and i havn't seen a flake of snow yet...why do they keep lying to us. We have been in spring for the last 8 months and i want to experience a bit of winter snow for a effin change. I dont get what people don't undeestand about that. All i see is stupid pictures of the wicklow mountains, conemara and carrauntoohil. How come we didnt get any snow on low ground? Whats all the talk of snow for if all we get is stupid rain? This needs to change. I for one am sick of the lies.

I'd recommend actually reading the forecasts!

"the rain may turn to sleet and snow at times on the higher ground."

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd recommend actually reading the forecasts!

"the rain may turn to sleet and snow at times on the higher ground."
    They're all damn liars and the articles too are click bait scum! They barely get anything right!

They're all damn liars and the articles too are click bait scum! They barely get anything right!

Articles? Show me a Met Eireann article, and I'd love even more to see a clickbait one. You're referring to sources like the Daily Mail etc. You do realise that all these articles misquote Met Eireann all the time.

Try reading the actual forecast and taking it at face value.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if met eireann mention that it could be cold and frosty with wintry showers over high ground, The Daily Mail and other similar rags issue warnings that temperatures will easily go as low as -10C widely and a foot or more of snow.

Same goes for warm weather, if it looks like going beyond 20C, the british rag papers in particular highlight potential 3 months of 32C+ and endless droughts.

The same crap gets published every year.

They rarely issue reports on rain because rain is boring and we get that all the time and doesn't sell papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

So the fact that you've not seen snow is the fault of forecasters...I mean the Daily Mail? Toys. Pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The Daily Mail is a well known hate rag, and like most British tabloids, is rooted in fascist thought and thinking. The Daily Mail in particular has a long and inglorious history of spurring on hatred of minorities, which I suppose stems from the days when they supported Hitler and right-wing fascism. Why rags like these are allowed on Irish news paper shelves I don't know.

d79aa30c824aca9d7e42beee46d63471.jpg

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wind picked up here on the Kerry coast this evening up to 40 km/h NW

Met Eireann this evening mentioned could have strong winds on SW /S coasts on Sunday.

0Lhff3T.png

• Advertisement

Cool overcast breezy morning about as unspringlike as you could hope to find.

Advertisement