Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Cold and very unsettled weather will continue right over the weekend.
    There will periods of heavy rain, with some severe downpours at times, especially in southwestern, western and northwestern counties with spot flooding. Some falls of sleet and snow at times there also

If there is precipitation in the east, it will likely be snow at times on mountain tops there too.

Would think Doc has it right... nothing on the BBC forecast in terms of snow showing for the Wicklow Mountains and this is about the highlight of snow risk chart below...

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Anywhere accessible by public transport close to the snow in Wicklow? Might head up tomorrow for a gander

Not sure if there's any snow on Fairy Castle now, but I'll post this anyway for future reference.

As DOCARCH said the 44B to Glencullen is your best bet. From there you can hike to Fairy Castle (Two Rock Mtn) which is 536m asl. It's only 2.3 km with 250m raise in alt. (about 40 mins hike) from the 3506 bus stop (second last stop before Glencullen). You can get the 44B from Dundrum Luas Station.

Bus route:
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/44b2/

Bus stop location:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Glencullen,+Ballyedmonduff+House/@53.2330033,-6.2231673,610m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486709e3e1bb8cf5:0x5343bb105b84564!8m2!3d53.2327288!4d-6.2216909

Fairy Castle location:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Fairy+Castle/@53.2397365,-6.2490544,2108m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670a1d437549bf:0x883b24ced25ae231!8m2!3d53.2391293!4d-6.2450945

Map of trails in the area:
    https://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=15&lat=53.23514&lon=-6.23228&layers=B0000

Approximate hike route:
    peUqHZp.jpg

NOTE: There's a sign saying keep out at the entrance to the forest because they're working on MTB trails in the area, but you can ignore that, just don't go near the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Despite a forecast of heavy rain in the West it's been dry all day in castlebar. Was expecting a much worse day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

Despite a forecast of heavy rain in the West it's been dry all day in castlebar. Was expecting a much worse day.

Seems to have drifted further east alright
    Started here around lunch and though that was it for the night but cleared after 2 hours again
    For now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Been lashing in West Clare all day, 11mm so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another dismal, cold, wet and mucky day. Really hoping for a dry spell to develop soon. Sick of all this rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Villain wrote: »
    Really? I wouldn't have thought Lugnaquila would be washed clear by Saturday.

Yeah there'll be spotty coverage left tomorrow as there will be heavy rain up there
    It's just not cold enough
    BBC graphics don't even have any on high ground in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

most of the snow has been washed of the galtees already from the first band of rain,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yeah there'll be spotty coverage left tomorrow as there will be heavy rain up there
    It's just not cold enough
    BBC graphics don't even have any on high ground in NI

It might get a top up though early Saturday morning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It's a bloody miserable cold wet evening a real terrible start to the spring. Our winter will probably arrive now until June when we'll get 2 months of spring before back into October again in August.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy showers this afternoon some of which were hail. 8.6mm in total precipitation

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looks like we are in for a very wet spell til Sunday at least. We are probably due a wet spell after the very dry autumn/winter we have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

It's a bloody miserable cold wet evening a real terrible start to the spring. Our winter will probably arrive now until June when we'll get 2 months of spring before back into October again in August.

Such a whinger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The last while had been awful here in Kilkenny/Carlow. Wet everyday and very windy at times. A real nasty relentless miserable feel to it. If even it's not raining you can feel it's not far away, very cold and unsettled.
    Assume the rest of the country has been the same?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy rain on and off today and feeling very cold here near Tralee, grey low overcast sky, stopped for awhile early evening and raining again now, 13.6mm from that trailing cold front moving up over the country. More to come.

bMYFZeM.png?1

YThUz0o.jpg?1

jFuj6h8.gif

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/837270469325819904

Rain promised has definitely moved further east
    Been watching it all day and the met office graphic shows it
    And now yr.no has come on board
    Had been forecasting nearly 30mm over just 12 hours tomorrow but it's nowm looking better !

km79 wrote: »
    Rain promised has definitely moved further east
    Been watching it all day and the met office graphic shows it
    And now yr.no has come on board
    Had been forecasting nearly 30mm over just 12 hours tomorrow but it's nowm looking better !

Yea the last few hours in Kilkenny have been awful. Incessant scawles of heavy rain

road_high wrote: »
    The last while had been awful here in Kilkenny/Carlow. Wet everyday and very windy at times. A real nasty relentless miserable feel to it. If even it's not raining you can feel it's not far away, very cold and unsettled.
    Assume the rest of the country has been the same?

Absolutely it's utterly miserable.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Such a whinger :pac:

I know I'd forgotten that if you don't like weather "events" you're a whinged here. Seriously outside of the few here I've met nobody whose enjoying this weather it's awful.

Fair enough, but not every time a bit of rain falls!

We are in a shocking climate, and have just had one of the mildest and driest winters, be grateful not pessimistic!

• Advertisement

What's the medium range forecast for march does anyone know?

I'm not being pessimistic just realistic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

What's the medium range forecast for march does anyone know?

I'm not being pessimistic just realistic really.

Staying very unsettled for the next week and turning milder then a possible cold snap mid-March as what the models are showing though I doubt it.

Didn't hear your realism when the weather was good.

I'm enjoying the nice rainy days, find it relaxing in a nice way.

Of course sun is better, but not at this time of year, I'd rather keep our limited High pressure systems until June/July/August thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I know I'd forgotten that if you don't like weather "events" you're a whinged here. Seriously outside of the few here I've met nobody whose enjoying this weather it's awful.

Nobody enjoys but just get on with it, it's Ireland, it rains a lot. It must be awful to be Irish and to not be able to just accept the mostly terrible/uninteresting weather we get.

Completely calm the last hour here in West Clare, although there has been 2mm of rain. Weather station hasn't showed any wind at all.

Such a contrast to last night!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Didn't hear your realism when the weather was good.

I'm enjoying the nice rainy days, find it relaxing in a nice way.

Of course sun is better, but not at this time of year, I'd rather keep our limited High pressure systems until June/July/August thanks :)

I was constantly trumpeting the good weather here during the winter. Good as in an Irish context. Agree with you on high pressure systems in summer though all I'm saying is it's miserable now especially for those of us out and about a lot. I'm on the road a lot and this weather is the pits and in no way relaxing.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Nobody enjoys but just get on with it, it's Ireland, it rains a lot. It must be awful to be Irish and to not be able to just accept the mostly terrible/uninteresting weather we get.

Bit like the snow bunnies on here or is that different because it's not part of the clique?

I was constantly trumpeting the good weather here during the winter. Good as in an Irish context. Agree with you on high pressure systems in summer though all I'm saying is it's miserable now especially for those of us out and about a lot. I'm on the road a lot and this weather is the pits and in no way relaxing.

I agree with you !

Do a lot of motorway driving daily and have a big strong car but finding this weather really unpleasant to travel in- between the gusts of winds and blinding spray from trucks, it's horrible.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Do a lot of motorway driving daily and have a big strong car but finding this weather really unpleasant to travel in- between the gusts of winds and blinding spray from trucks, it's horrible.

Whinger!!!!

But seriously it's awful stuff to travel in. I've done a few long commutes this week and another one tomorrow and it's exhausting in this weather. Even then when you get out of the car you've wind rain and cold lashing into you. Syran is this unusual for time of year from your records?

Advertisement