Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrendous day here yet again, cold, wet, dark and miserable. Garden is very soggy from all the rain of the past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    horrendous day here yet again, cold, wet, dark and miserable. Garden is very soggy from all the rain of the past month.

Was grand up my side of meath, a bit of drizzle for an hour in the afternoon, otherwise dry with bright spells on and off, it felt a bit raw alright but was ok when sun was out

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

I used to dislike the rain but isn't it good for you and it keeps the grass green. :) also we had a lovely sunny spell for 5 hours yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I used to dislike the rain but isn't it good for you and it keeps the grass green. :) also we had a lovely sunny spell for 5 hours yesterday.

Can you give a little more detail as to how "rain can been good for you"? Other than putting in your whiskey or been a constituent part of lager, ale or stout? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Can you give a little more detail as to how "rain can been good for you"?

Sure.

It is the only source of 'fresh' water on the planet, which is essential for virtually all life on earth. I like my tea, and without rain, I'd not be able to have an aul cup of schald when I feel the need. Indeed, up to 80% of your body is made up of fresh water, which originally fell as rain. Also, without rain, we'd not be able to grow crops. There would be no plant life. Our '40 shades of green' would become one shade of grey. Need I go on? :p

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would gladly trade green grass for brown scub land like what they have in Spain in exchange for sunny and warm Spring-Autumn each year! Sprinklers can make the grass green again anyway!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One heavy shower in east Waterford, otherwise it was fine once the early cloud broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I would gladly trade green grass for brown scub land like what they have in Spain in exchange for sunny and warm Spring-Autumn each year! Sprinklers can make the grass green again anyway!.

That's the beauty of the Schengen visa ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's the beauty of the Schengen visa ;)

The Schengen agreement is visa free by definition. And Ireland is not in the Schengen area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Moist and misty.. dark and drab.

PS acid rain?

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    The Schengen agreement is visa free by definition. And Ireland is not in the Schengen area anyway.

I know, I didn't know of a snappier yet friendly way to say "well, you're free to move to Spain!"

Honestly, in the future people will look back* on Irish weather whinging the same way we regard tribal rain dances or sun worship - it's like a ritual people undertake in the belief that it will somehow alter the weather.

*if there's anyone left

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

breezy and misty day in north meath, doesn't feel cold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

That's training cancelled for another week so, heavy rain again all evening. Not much chance of the pitches around the west recovering by this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's training cancelled for another week so, heavy rain again all evening. Not much chance of the pitches around the west recovering by this weekend.

Yep. Blanket bans the past two weekends from the Galway FA. I see more coming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beautiful day here in West Clare, feels like spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Beautiful day here in West Clare, feels like spring!

Just logged onto same the same about east galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Something tells me this observation from Nigeria today is a mistake...:rolleyes:

411260.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Feeling like May warmth today in the sunshine at Grange... what a change from what March has brought so far for the first 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Absolutely lovely day out :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Went for an hour long walk around 1pm. I wouldn't agree it felt like May warmth at all. The breeze was very cool indeed and even wit the sun shining, there was very little heat except when I passed a very sheltered part of one street when I felt the tiniest inkling of heat, about as much as to be felt in early March. I was wearing a hoody and I felt rather chilly for the first 20 minutes or so. This is Dublin city west, BTW.

Having said that, it was nice to see the sunshine and some blue sky.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Went for an hour long walk around 1pm. I wouldn't agree it felt like May warmth at all. The breeze was very cool indeed and even wit the sun shining, there was very little heat except when I passed a very sheltered part of one street when I felt the tiniest inkling of heat, about as much as to be felt in early March. I was wearing a hoody and I felt rather chilly for the first 20 minutes or so. This is Dublin city west, BTW.

I spoke for northeast Dublin :cool:, not breezy at all here.

highdef wrote: »

Would say it was very different in Phoenix park then as I was too warm for my top layer coat and a t-shirt and jumper were good enough! Absolutely lovely, yes a bit of a chill in the wind, but the sun is heating things up nicely. It's probably all relative to how cold it was a couple of days ago, but I could have sat out there all day.

first decent day in about a month, feels warm compared to what we have been having recently and things starting to dry out a little bit.

first decent day in about a month, feels warm compared to what we have been having recently and things starting to dry out a little bit.

Last decent day here was February 8th, so it was exactly a month :D.

And I guess heat and cold is a very subjective thing.

sryanbruen is obviously located in a very sheltered area. Being a fairly high density housing area, shelter is easy to come by. Dublin airport (also in north east Dublin) is reporting breezy conditions with gusts to 46kmph at 15:00 which is a drop from the previous hour. However that is a much more exposed site.

With the sun to the south at it's highest point and fairly breezy weather from the west, it's not quite so easy to get shelter and sunshine and a feeling of actual warmth. At this time of the year, your best bet to find some nice heat is to have either calm conditions or very light winds with a bit of a northerly component whilst you are situated with a south facing large wall behind you and it's not far off high noon.......I long to feel a bit of REAL heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

Sunny and 13c with not much breeze here near Arklow
    It's certainly not Shivering:D

Sunny and 13c with not much breeze here near Arklow
    It's certainly not Shivering:D

Ah you are in a great spot to sheltered from that westerly breeze....I would well imagine many places along in Wicklow to the lee of the mountains are having a very pleasant day

The mid month cold spell is really fading away now nacho libre ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The mid month cold spell is really fading away now nacho libre ;).

Ah i was just about to post about it:D I'm not too bothered at this stage, as you'd need something akin to March 2013 for snow to lay during day, and that wasn't ever suggested. I am already looking towards next winter:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Go Saturday!
    Go on ya good thing.:p

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png
    Expect higher temps in favoured areas too.

Advertisement