Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Over the last week there has been at least 4 house parties in that estate that have gone on into the small hours of the morning.

I'd say i could name the people in attendance... So could the folks over the road in the cop shop.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Oops! wrote: »
    I'd say i could name the people in attendance... So could the folks over the road in the cop shop.:rolleyes:

More than likely.

I have to say, the houses on Innisfallen Avenue are quite vulnerable. I saw 2 lads (whom I later saw coming out of and going into that estate) looking into the back of peoples' gardens while walking up the laneway. The worst of it is that that laneway is private and is owned by the people who own the houses so people who don't live in the houses have no right to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

I don’t understand how / why the cops won’t spin around the corner , literally and put a stop to this ****e

God knows they’d also find a little bit of gear in the house too to use against them. Scum that are allowed waltz around and do what they want while the rest of us are being stopped in our cars on the way to the shop quizzed about where we’re going

****ing joke. I have nothing against the Gardaí and appreciate it’s a tough job but it’s stuff like this that frustrates the life out of the general public and has people saying the guards are useless.

Everyone knows who the scum are and what they are doing yet they won’t be tackled

tastyt wrote: »
    I don’t understand how / why the cops won’t spin around the corner , literally and put a stop to this ****e

God knows they’d also find a little bit of gear in the house too to use against them. Scum that are allowed waltz around and do what they want while the rest of us are being stopped in our cars on the way to the shop quizzed about where we’re going

****ing joke. I have nothing against the Gardaí and appreciate it’s a tough job but it’s stuff like this that frustrates the life out of the general public and has people saying the guards are useless.

Everyone knows who the scum are and what they are doing yet they won’t be tackled

They couldn't be bother with the hassle of them, that's the truth as unpalatable as it may sound. Find a bit of gear on them? What would be the point? Another social tuesday in court? "Well lad, what you up for? Have you a fag on ya?"

It's easier to police the general public that will follow their direction... I could repeat a conversation i overheard between 2 Gardai but i won't... But it proved to me exactly what i was thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I find the whole scene with this (now quite large) gang very depressing. People are making huge sacrifices to try to get over this emergency. I’ve been stopped repeatedly by the Gardai on my way to work and to check on my 85 year old mother and I don’t mind at all.
    But then you have these menaces wandering round at will apparently untouchable invisible and out of control. If anyone can explain why this is allowed to go on then I’d be interested in listening.

• Advertisement

I just did.....^^^^^^

They couldn't be bother with the hassle of them, that's the truth as unpalatable as it may sound. Find a bit of gear on them? What would be the point? Another social tuesday in court? "Well lad, what you up for? Have you a fag on ya?"

It's easier to police the general public that will follow their direction... I could repeat a conversation i overheard between 2 Gardai but i won't... But it proved to me exactly what i was thinking...

They are a lot of work. And they’re a total pain in the hole to deal with believe me. Tedious and long winded.
    Then they get sentenced and even if they do get a custodial sentence they’re back out sometimes in weeks and the whole thing starts over again.

Yep...They are just a pain in the hole really, nobodys who think they are hard men/women. Their kids will be the same.... Sad really but that's life. It's just a pity the welfare is so good to them...

Pain in the hole or not it’s the cops job, it’s what they are well paid for.

It’s not good enough when the cops know they are having parties, taking and selling drugs and blatantly disregarding the health restrictions for them just to say “ ah **** it, it’s too much hassle, the courts will only let them off “

Do your job, the general public can’t . Every minute they are below in the cop shop they are less of a risk or danger to the general public, especially the old and vulnerable.

Btw I’m not having a go at any of the posts above, just at the guards

More than likely.

I have to say, the houses on Innisfallen Avenue are quite vulnerable. I saw 2 lads (whom I later saw coming out of and going into that estate) looking into the back of peoples' gardens while walking up the laneway. The worst of it is that that laneway is private and is owned by the people who own the houses so people who don't live in the houses have no right to be on it.

If true the residents/owners need to get together and put a gate on the end of it for a start...

• Advertisement

Pain in the hole or not it’s the cops job, it’s what they are well paid for.

It’s not good enough when the cops know they are having parties, taking and selling drugs and blatantly disregarding the health restrictions for them just to say “ ah **** it, it’s too much hassle, the courts will only let them off “

Do your job, the general public can’t . Every minute they are below in the cop shop they are less of a risk or danger to the general public, especially the old and vulnerable.

Btw I’m not having a go at any of the posts above, just at the guards

Go down to the cop shop and explain that over the counter and see what response you get....:rolleyes:

Go down to the cop shop and explain that over the counter and see what response you get....:rolleyes:

That’s the point obviously

Please do report back here with the reply you get!

If true the residents/owners need to get together and put a gate on the end of it for a start...

Of course it's true...one of the houses is mine :)

I fully agree. The Stradavoher end is wide enough for cars but the further up the lane you go the narrower it gets and the opposite end is only wide enough for pedestrians.

I had thought about setting up a committee to get it done. Jim Ryan told a neighbour of mine that since the council "maintain" it we can't do anything. However I've been here 3 years and not once have I seen the council anywhere near it. It's full of potholes, has huge weeds and grass growing on the verge under the fence and is covered in crap gravel.

Of course it's true...one of the houses is mine :)

I fully agree. The Stradavoher end is wide enough for cars but the further up the lane you go the narrower it gets and the opposite end is only wide enough for pedestrians.

I had thought about setting up a committee to get it done. Jim Ryan told a neighbour of mine that since the council "maintain" it we can't do anything. However I've been here 3 years and not once have I seen the council anywhere near it. It's full of potholes, has huge weeds and grass growing on the verge under the fence and is covered in crap gravel.

I know the lane your talking about, have been up and down it myself... I wouldn't take much notice of his or others advice on the matter, they will all say that, they don't have to live there... If Jim was living there there would be a gate up.

Same suitation where i live, row of houses with a lane for rear access, gate at the top of it.... Gate is there years, all owners/residents have a key, gate is locked at night... no drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Seen the deli counters removed from Subway in Thurles today. Their Facebook page (there’s an older one that’s inactive) was also removed. Looks like it’s closing down.

Seen the deli counters removed from Subway in Thurles today. Their Facebook page (there’s an older one that’s inactive) was also removed. Looks like it’s closing down.

It’s closed permanently I can confirm.

It was always much busier than the franchisees other outlet in Nenagh. Rent maybe or franchising fees. It looked like it was Subway themselves removing the catering equipment. Unfortunately a number of businesses that closed due to Covid will never reopen again in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It was always much busier than the franchisees other outlet in Nenagh. Rent maybe or franchising fees. It looked like it was Subway themselves removing the catering equipment. Unfortunately a number of businesses that closed due to Covid will never reopen again in the town.

I fear that is going to happen with a lot that are borderline viable. this is a great time to close, no one will ask questions and you can blame the virus. if you close any other time you cannot sign on and there is a lot less help out there for you

what other businesses are not re opening

Heard talk , just rumours I suppose that

Bowes bar
    Taffys
    Jim Kennedy Parnell st
    De burcas
    Tom dunnes
    Q11
    Liber tea rooms

All not reopening

After hearing of Subway now the town could be in a very bad way over the next few months

• Advertisement

I passed by Subway on my way to work this morning and it seems normal. Couldn't see anything having been removed although maybe what was removed can't be seen from the road anyway.

Feel bad for all the above businesses if they do close especially Bowes as he's getting hit both in the pub and the travel agency.

For the likes of all the businesses on the square, it puts a different perspective on the redevelopment. A while back I heard that Roches were closing too as the next generation of them didn't want it. Someone told me that they were in there today and the place was thronged with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Subway deli counter and other parts of the interior were on DoneDeal last week, can’t see the ad now.
    Carphone could be another one not opening.

Heard talk , just rumours I suppose that

Bowes bar
    Taffys
    Jim Kennedy Parnell st
    De burcas
    Tom dunnes
    Q11
    Liber tea rooms

All not reopening

After hearing of Subway now the town could be in a very bad way over the next few months

the fact that 6 of those are pubs probably explains why I cant remember ever putting a foot inside any of them

I passed by Subway on my way to work this morning and it seems normal. Couldn't see anything having been removed although maybe what was removed can't be seen from the road anyway.

Feel bad for all the above businesses if they do close especially Bowes as he's getting hit both in the pub and the travel agency.

For the likes of all the businesses on the square, it puts a different perspective on the redevelopment. A while back I heard that Roches were closing too as the next generation of them didn't want it. Someone told me that they were in there today and the place was thronged with customers.

it would be a big loss to the square if frank closed the doors. its the only thing on the square that would make you stop. everything else isn't worth the hassle of parking etc and can be gotten a lot easier and maybe cheaper outside the square.
    I hope Jason takes it over. I see frank taking a more behind the scenes approach with the paint. we desperately need that personal touch that frank brings to the paint. he is great to mix and match and loves the challenge of matching odd stuff

I’d imagine the best thing to do with the square regeneration is target is for places to eat and drink. Make it a nice place to walk around and maybe sit out in this weather

They should definitely bring the farmers market back in too.

The days of anybody doing any serious shopping in the square are mostly over unfortunately

Almost everyone I talk to in Thurles doesn’t remember this, but I do like it was yesterday.

When Dunnes Stores first opened in 1996/7 they had a vending machine outside the entrance selling cans of St Bernard Cola for 20p. At the time Coca Cola was 50p a can from the vending machine in the train station and everyone back then didn’t care about branded products. It was sickeningly sweet cola. Who here remembers it?

Or when Lidl first opened it’s doors on the 5th of June 2002, the majority of their products were own brands from Germany. There was no English writing on most of the products at all.

i remember lidl being a bit of a lottery on what each product was. i remember my mother brining home a few experiments each time and we would have a go to see if it was a buscuit or meat, or what flavour it was. they had some unusual flavores on some stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I drive through thurles every now and then. I find that square to be similar to the driving seem around the Arc de Triomphe. It's a roundabout but you get the idea

I drive through thurles every now and then. I find that square to be similar to the driving seem around the Arc de Triomphe. It's a roundabout but you get the idea

not as bad since the post office left. the double and triple parking is a lot less.

• Advertisement

It's still a free for all.... If your not local you'd find it a bit confusing.

Advertisement